• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I already bought the game... So although I want Ridley to be in the game, I won't die if he isn't.

...But it would be close. I might be hospitalized.

Also, just felt like sayin' I think it would be amusing if after all this fuss, Sakurai did something like this (Not this exactly, but something similar would make my day.)

"Hello, Sakurai here."

"This is Mewtwo, I'm sorry he was cut from Brawl. We ran out of time and we didn't expect it to cause such a fuss."
"He works quite differently from his melee counterpart, we made him a lot faster and stronger."

"His shadow ball is very different from Lucario's aura sphere as well."

"...Oh? Him? Yes, he's playable. I forget his name though."

"But back to Mewtwo..."

...But yeah, something like that.

......Or you know, he could do the other thing. Which is give Ridley the most amazingly epic trailer ever. But what's the fun in that?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Dang, we're only 175 pages before critical meltdown. But anyway, I notice a few what you would do if Ridley wasn't playable. Well, I normally wouldn't care, as I was already sold, even moreso with Megaman. Reason I would prefer Ridley being in the game is its financially convenient for me, as I made a bet with a friend that Ridley would be in the game, and if I'm right, he has to buy the WiiU and the game for me.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Dang, we're only 175 pages before critical meltdown. But anyway, I notice a few what you would do if Ridley wasn't playable. Well, I normally wouldn't care, as I was already sold, even moreso with Megaman. Reason I would prefer Ridley being in the game is its financially convenient for me, as I made a bet with a friend that Ridley would be in the game, and if I'm right, he has to buy the WiiU and the game for me.
What happens if you're wrong?

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597
He ate their parents.
...Really, Ridley? You need to stop doing that. There are other evil things to do.

Despite Ridley being a must in terms of needing Metroid reps, that's the main reason he's needed.
Believe it or not, someone actually argued against Ridley by saying that Metroid had enough reps. (Samus... twice.)

......Okay yeah. Troll. But still, it was amusing.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
You know, why are Ridley haters so set on not wanting Ridley in smash? What did Ridley do to them?
Did Ridley borrow some money and never pay it back? Did Ridley make them co-sign on a loan they couldn't pay back?
:laugh:
(No, but honestly, what's their problem? :p )
I think some detractors just see a few crazy Ridley zealots, then assume every supporter is like them, and their dislike for the zealots in turn makes them dislike anything Ridley. Of course there are the people who just don't like Ridley as a character, but how can you not like a purple pirate space dragon?

D

Deleted member

doubt he will keep his bet win or lose

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjGf2Grrus

Anyway, how about we fantasize about Ridley's reveal trailer?
I really thought Lucas would be included in a Ridley trailer due to be a small blonde child

I could see them playing with that scene from Other M, plus Mewtwo pulling in a last second save would've helped establish all these characters

I'll keep my Money on Mewtwo VS Ridley

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I think some detractors just see a few crazy Ridley zealots, then assume every supporter is like them, and their dislike for the zealots in turn makes them dislike anything Ridley. Of course there are the people who just don't like Ridley as a character, but how can you not like a purple pirate space dragon?
Well, there's also such a thing as overhype. After a while, people just get sick of hearing about him all the time and don't want any of it anymore.

I already bought the game... So although I want Ridley to be in the game, I won't die if he isn't.

...But it would be close. I might be hospitalized.

Also, just felt like sayin' I think it would be amusing if after all this fuss, Sakurai did something like this (Not this exactly, but something similar would make my day.)

"Hello, Sakurai here."

"This is Mewtwo, I'm sorry he was cut from Brawl. We ran out of time and we didn't expect it to cause such a fuss."
"He works quite differently from his melee counterpart, we made him a lot faster and stronger."

"His shadow ball is very different from Lucario's aura sphere as well."

"...Oh? Him? Yes, he's playable. I forget his name though."

"But back to Mewtwo..."

...But yeah, something like that.

......Or you know, he could do the other thing. Which is give Ridley the most amazingly epic trailer ever. But what's the fun in that?
Yeah. I prefer a silly, sudden "Oh right, Ridley? Yeah, he's in, move right along!" just because of how trollish it is. Also, Ridley being the exception again.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So hating Ridley is the result of popularity/monkey see, monkey do syndrome? ...That explains a lot. It's high school all over again.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Well, there's also such a thing as overhype. After a while, people just get sick of hearing about him all the time and don't want any of it anymore.
True, correct me if I'm wrong but haven't people wanted Ridley since Melee? He's been in every game in some form, and in the last his role got significantly upgraded compared to previous games. The next logical step is to be playable :awesome:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
My main problem with the current roster is this though, there's no real newcomers that really grab me.
Mega Man: Don't Care
Villager: Don't Care
Wii Fit Trainer: Don't Care
Rosalina and Luma: Don't Care
Little Mac: Don't Care
Greninja: My starting Pokemon in X, so that's cool
Mii Fighters: Don't Care
Palutena: Looks intersting
Pac-Man: I liked Pac-Man as a kid, but his play style in this doesn't seem to match my own
Robin: Don't Care
Lucina: Will probably use her instead of Marth
Shulk: Don't care
DHD: Don't care
Dark Pit: Don't care
Bowser Jr.: His fighting style looks interesting but again, can't really see myself using him, and don't care for his character

So really at most you can say I barley care about five of the new comers, and with Wolf being cut that's another strike against the roster. Most of the characters I am really interested in were added in previous games, and the only ones that I've really wanted in this one are Mewtwo and Ridley as I feel they're a real necessity. Those two alone justify the purchase for me, but even if they aren't in I'll still buy the games because they're Smash Bros.
i can realy understand you i like the new bowser and b. jr seems nice aswell but with paluthena and little mac is everything said i wans waiting for them so i was happy that i was getting some nice fighters.
i want just ridley i wanted him since meele.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Most of them are probably like : "Ridley is highly requested so I will hate him to be cool."
Some prefer him as a boss because making him playable would take from his strengths ( being big, powerful and fast)
And there are those who know nothing of him and think he is just a random, mindless monster from Metroid.
lol at that last point

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So, uh, how many of you aren't going to get the game if Ridley isn't playable?

Just curious. :chuckle:
The 3DS version I'll be getting no matter what regardless, but assuming what we currently know of the roster is all we're gonna get, I may need something a little more to maintain interest enough as to get the Wii U version by the time it comes out. Nothing against Smash, but I just very rarely get the same game on different platforms/systems if getting something a 2nd time doesn't add that much new flavor for me besides prettier graphics or something superficial of that nature. And no, hazard Ridley on Pyrosphere is not something that'd make me want to get the Wii U version in particular like playable Ridley in HD would when I'll already have the 3DS game, but if enough friends of mine lack a 3DS and only have a Wii U like a couple I know, then I might be convinced to get it so I'll be able to play against them. *grumble*

Ridley or no Ridley, This still is going to be the best game ever.
That's what they said about Brawl and I disagreed, even putting my disappointment with Ridley/the roster aside. /flameshield Still have a much better feeling about this game though since it's Namco.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I have another question for you all, when Ridley gets announced what are you guys going to do with him. I would love to try to main him along with the villiger/Samus/Little Mac, but if he doesn't fit my play style then I just might play as him every once in a while. I guess what I am asking is if he didn't suit your guys play style would you still try to main him or just casually play him.
Him and Duck Hunt will be my mains no matter what playstyles they have.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
If Ridley is a character, there's a good chance he'll get a redesign like Zero to accommodate his animations and attacks in-game. Other M was an abomination with its big-ass hands and Super looks a bit too lanky (twig neck).

I'm personally hoping for a Zero Mission inspired model, IMO it's his best look because his neck and head look actually functional.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I could see either "Ridley makes the cut!" (after slashing something of course) or "Ridley soars into battle!"

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
If Ridley is a character, there's a good chance he'll get a redesign like Zero to accommodate his animations and attacks in-game. Other M was an abomination with its big-*** hands and Super looks a bit too lanky (twig neck).

I'm personally hoping for a Zero Mission inspired model, IMO it's his best look because his neck and head look actually functional.
Agreed. Zero Mission's Ridley is the most organic of them, if that makes sense.

Yet I'm expecting a combination of different Ridleys.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I got a mental image of the Ridley trailer. The trailer would be done in a style similar to the Other M cinematics, and the start will resemble the cinematic where Samus is inspecting Pyrosphere, then Ridley rises from the lava much in the way of in Other M. Proceeds to roar to Samus similarly as in Other M, but you don't see him reflected next to her. Then you don't see Samus react like she did in Other M, but rather then notices his size, and Ridley stops roaring for a second. She begins to compare his new height to what she remembers him as, then he whips her with his tail, and he roars again. Newcomer Splash "insert catchy entrance phrase"

There is then in game footage of Ridley verses Samus, and then her ZSS version, and several other characters, with his theme playing. Gameplay ends with him eating the Mushroom item, that makes him roughly the same size as his canon Other M size. It then transitions to him holding Samus similarly to how he did in Other M, but before he delivers the finishing blow, someone comes to her rescue, but instead of Anthony, its "drum roll" Mewtwo.. Trailer ends, fanboys rejoice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom