• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
1: It's never appeared on a handheld, so it's not on the 3DS version. How does that prove he's not a stage hazard?
2: That was my point with someone else. You responded to it.
3: He appeared in Mario Kart, and Mario Kart sold WAY more than Metroid.
4: There was nothing to respond to, you just said "Granted."
5: Again, that was my point with someone else and you responded to it.
Okay first, if you post things directed to someone else, don't do it after a quote to me, okay?

1: Pyrosphere is where the Ridley boss was fought in Other M, a console game as you know, appears only in the Wii U version, the whole debate is how because of this he'll be a boss too. Having an exclusive boss would be stupid.
2: Then don't reply to me with it
3: When the most recent Metroid game was Other M, considered to be the worst Metroid game. And you still have yet to answer my question on Waluigi's main series appearances.
4: Hence my agreement
5: As said before, don't reply to me with it then

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Waluigi is in pretty much every Mario spin-off.
Mario Kart itself has sold more than the entire Metroid franchise.
I'm the biggest Waluigi fanboy I know, but this argument does not add up. By the same logic, Waluigi is more deserving then Samus, and almost every other non-mario character.

which is true, just sakurai does not think that way.

Fang3207

Smash Cadet
I'm the biggest Waluigi fanboy I know, but this argument does not add up. By the same logic, Waluigi is more deserving then Samus, and almost every other non-mario character.

which is true, just sakurai does not think that way.
You're responding to something you know nothing about. Someone brought up that Ridley should be in because he's popular. I said Waluigi is more popular and he's an assist trophy. My point is, popularity isn't everything. Shulk isn't even that popular and he's in Smash.

IDK are you expecting them to pay half price?
People don't buy Metroid games just for Ridley. That's like me buying a Mario game just to see Bowser.
We buy it for the level design, the music, the classic Mario gameplay. Not just because Bowser is the boss.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Waluigi is in almost every Mario spinoff, including Mario Kart which outsold Metroid as a whole.
A game selling well doesn't mean that every character present is automatically popular. By that logic, Daisy is more popular than Ridley.

It's flawed logic.

1: It's never appeared on a handheld, so it's not on the 3DS version.
Boxing Ring has never been on a handheld, and stages like the Kalos Pokemon League have never appeared on a console.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
People don't buy Metroid games just for Ridley. That's like me buying a Mario game just to see Bowser.
We buy it for the level design, the music, the classic Mario gameplay. Not just because Bowser is the boss.
Little off topic, but I'd calm down on the double posting. Just an FYI

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A game selling well doesn't mean that every character present is automatically popular. By that logic, Daisy is more popular than Ridley.

It's flawed logic.

Boxing Ring has never been on a handheld, and stages like the Kalos Pokemon League have never appeared on a console.
Doesn't Daisy also appear in more Mario Karts than Waluigi?

She was in 7 and he wasn't

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
1 Examples please?
2 If it were a section only for Yellow Devil then why did they dedicate some time for Ridley?
3 That doesn't matter, Waluigi is still more popular and he's an assist trophy
4 That's Sakurai's judgement and choice, not yours
5 I never said we didn't or did, I said we don't have a right to make these judgements
1 Palutena's Temple. the F-Zero stage on the leak, Punch Out boxing ring, Gaur plain, The Kalos champion room and the returning melee stages.
2 The thing said 'Yellow Devil' if it was for stage bosses, it would have talked about the Dark Emperor, and the tease would be a better place there
3 ...No he isn't... If the top 5 most requested characters of all time include Ridley and have him being higher than Waluigi, it says enough
4 HE IS LISTENING TO THE FANS MORE THAN EVER!
5 See 4.
6. I know I've been :4greninja:'ed about 30 times by now, I was writing some Reym Time for the BDee thread, but I wanted to state this quickly: We are all in for a suprise in the end

Fang3207

Smash Cadet

It's flawed logic.

She is. Go up to any family in a game section in any store and ask them if they know Ridley from Metroid. Then ask them if they know Daisy from Mario.

More people play Mario Party and Mario Kart than Metroid, and Waluigi and Daisy are common characters in those games.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
She is. Go up to any family in a game section in any store and ask them if they know Ridley from Metroid. Then ask them if they know Daisy from Mario.

More people play Mario Party and Mario Kart than Metroid, and Waluigi and Daisy are common characters in those games.
Because people play games for a lanky Luigi and a brunette Peach.

I start up Pokemon X every day and go, man, if only my character was Waluigi. He's clearly the most iconic character in Nintendo's history

Last edited:

Fang3207

Smash Cadet
1 Palutena's Temple. the F-Zero stage on the leak, Punch Out boxing ring, Gaur plain, The Kalos champion room and the returning melee stages.
2 The thing said 'Yellow Devil' if it was for stage bosses, it would have talked about the Dark Emperor, and the tease would be a better place there
3 ...No he isn't... If the top 5 most requested characters of all time include Ridley and have him being higher than Waluigi, it says enough
4 HE IS LISTENING TO THE FANS MORE THAN EVER!
5 See 4.
6. I know I've been :4greninja:'ed about 30 times by now, I was writing some Reym Time for the BDee thread, but I wanted to state this quickly: We are all in for a suprise in the end
1. Kid Icarus is a series on both home, and handheld consoles. There are handheld F-Zero games. The Boxing Ring has 2 alternate forms, the main one not being based off a game, the second one being based off of Punch Out!! Xenoblade is on both 3DS and Wii. Kalos is from Pokemon X/Y.
2. If it were exclusively for Yellow Devil, they wouldn't of shown off Ridley.
3. Where is this poll of most wanted characters?
4/5. You're missing my point. It's Sakurai's judgement, not ours.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Knowing who a character is doesn't equate to popularity. People may know who those characters are, but don't actually like them at all, and really don't care whether or not they're playable in Smash.

Meanwhile, Ridley (a fairly well known Nintendo character) is very well liked amongst fans, and has a huge number of people who would like to see him in Smash. Also, a character like Shulk is not as well known amongst the general public, but those who've played Xenoblade absolutely love the game and the character of Shulk, making him very popular.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Mario as a franchise you can say is more popular than any other Nintendo franchise. So the "more popular" argument shouldn't matter, because everyone knows Mario characters more than Metroid which isn't that popular in Japan. Most of the Ridley want is from us in America. Also considering Metroid isn't a very well repped franchise in Smash in the first place it deserves a newcomer that ISN'T Samus.

Nobody should argue using the popularity argument, because everyone loses to Mario.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This might be the funniest detractor I've seen in a while.

Waluigi is of 0 importance to the Mario series whereas Ridley. Let's just say he has a HUGE impact on the Metroid series.

I don't see many people that actually like Waluigi and he has a lot less going for him than Ridley.
As mentioned Ridley has more popularity for Smash than Waluigi.

Ridley is the #5 most requested character for Smash in both America and Japan. Characters above him included K Rool, Mewtwo, Little Mac (America), Mega Man and Shulk (Japan). Correct me if I'm wrong but those are the correct characters on the polls. And out of that lot only Mewtwo and K Rool haven't been confirmed but they've been teased (Well a DK character has. I'd prefer K Rool). Heck check the Smashboards character polls. Ridley is always a very high ranking newcomer ABOVE Waluigi.

And you don't know who MEW is? It's famous for being a Pokemon that can learn nearly every single move in existence and Team Rocket cloned it (Hence Mewtwo).

It'd also be great if you didn't double post either.

I've been
Greninja'd a bunch but I'll post it anyway.

Love the PotD. But seriously Sakurai.

"End Ridley's torment and our own!"

Fang3207

Smash Cadet
Because people play games for a lanky Luigi and a brunette Peach.

I start up Pokemon X every day and go, man, if only my character was Waluigi. He's clearly the most iconic character in Nintendo's history
Now you're twisting my words and judging their design. My point is, Waluigi and Daisy are common characters in Mario Kart and Mario Party, which have both outsold Metroid fully. The majority of the casual market don't even play Metroid, how would Ridley be popular to them, but not common Mario characters?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Now you're twisting my words and judging their design. My point is, Waluigi and Daisy are common characters in Mario Kart and Mario Party, which have both outsold Metroid fully. The majority of the casual market don't even play Metroid, how would Ridley be popular to them, but not common Mario characters?
How about using our own words against you

No one buys Mario Kart for Waluigi

Fang3207

Smash Cadet
This might be the funniest detractor I've seen in a while.

Waluigi is of 0 importance to the Mario series whereas Ridley. Let's just say he has a HUGE impact on the Metroid series.

I don't see many people that actually like Waluigi and he has a lot less going for him than Ridley.
As mentioned Ridley has more popularity for Smash than Waluigi.

Ridley is the #5 most requested character for Smash in both America and Japan. Characters above him included K Rool, Mewtwo, Little Mac (America), Mega Man and Shulk (Japan). Correct me if I'm wrong but those are the correct characters on the polls. And out of that lot only Mewtwo and K Rool haven't been confirmed but they've been teased (Well a DK character has. I'd prefer K Rool). Heck check the Smashboards character polls. Ridley is always a very high ranking newcomer ABOVE Waluigi.

And you don't know who MEW is? It's famous for being a Pokemon that can learn nearly every single move in existence and Team Rocket cloned it (Hence Mewtwo).

It'd also be great if you didn't double post either.

I've been
Greninja'd a bunch but I'll post it anyway.

Love the PotD. But seriously Sakurai.

"End Ridley's torment and our own!"
We are talking about popularity, not importance to the series. Most Mario characters aren't even important, all you have to do is save the princess, which is a task that can be solved by only Mario.

Even then, King K Rool is more popular than Ridley and he isn't in. Thanks for proving my point, popularity isn't everything.

When did I ever say I don't know what a MEW is?

I wouldn't double post if these people would stop asking me the same thing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
1. Kid Icarus is a series on both home, and handheld consoles. There are handheld F-Zero games. The Boxing Ring has 2 alternate forms, the main one not being based off a game, the second one being based off of Punch Out!! Xenoblade is on both 3DS and Wii. Kalos is from Pokemon X/Y.
2. If it were exclusively for Yellow Devil, they wouldn't of shown off Ridley.
3. Where is this poll of most wanted characters?
4/5. You're missing my point. It's Sakurai's judgement, not ours.
1. I don't think the Temple was in the original, the boxing ring is still Punch Out for the Wii, Xenoblade 3DS wasn't announced until a few days ago and that pokemon stage is on the Wii U version
2. If it was about bosses, why would it say 'Yellow Devil' instead of bosses? the stage section said 'Stages', along with 'Items' and stuff
3. I don't have a link, but the top 3 characters world wide are 1.Mewtwo 2.Mega man 3. K.Rool. Japan's 4th and 5th were Palutena and Shulk. US's 4th and 5th were Little Mac and Ridley, Waluigi isn't there at all
4/5, If the guy is listening to the fans for almost every tiny little thing, why can't we agree that he wants to please the audience.
Again, we all need to shut the f*ck up about this sudden argument. SPARE THE LAST PAGES DAMMIT!
About your double posting, use the EDIT button

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There we go the case is closed on the all star thing.

You can play all star anytime but it will have missing characters if you don't unlock all of them.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never said people buy Mario Kart for Waluigi. I said he's a common character in Mario Kart, and Mario Kart is more popular than Metroid.
And because of that Mario is in Smash

Good for him for having a popular game

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I'm just saying, both Waluigi and Daisy were only created to be opposites of existing, way more popular characters. Luigi and Peach. The impression you're giving off is that no Nintendo game is worth playing just because it doesn't have a supposedly popular character. A casual spin-off game and the characters in them hardly have an impact of the main antagonist of a widely popular series, regardless of sales of the Sonic 06 of the franchise. "Oh, Waluigi is more popular than Ridley, he's in a mildly popular spinoff game. I sure hope he's in Smash, but not Ridley, he'd just be a clone because he's purple too.". And before you bring up the fact that not many people know him. Take a look at Mr. Game and Watch. Do you think anyone would have known him in the Smash community before his appearance in Melee?

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
who says smash belongs to the casual community. hence the for glory mode, faster, no tripping and stuff.

I am starting to get the idea you are just trolling the community so it will reach 2000 pages to crash boards. you got your dr. Mario stop hating Ridley and those who want him.

Fang3207

Smash Cadet
1. I don't think the Temple was in the original, the boxing ring is still Punch Out for the Wii, Xenoblade 3DS wasn't announced until a few days ago and that pokemon stage is on the Wii U version
2. If it was about bosses, why would it say 'Yellow Devil' instead of bosses? the stage section said 'Stages', along with 'Items' and stuff
3. I don't have a link, but the top 3 characters world wide are 1.Mewtwo 2.Mega man 3. K.Rool. Japan's 4th and 5th were Palutena and Shulk. US's 4th and 5th were Little Mac and Ridley, Waluigi isn't there at all
4/5, If the guy is listening to the fans for almost every tiny little thing, why can't we agree that he wants to please the audience.
Again, we all need to shut the f*ck up about this sudden argument. SPARE THE LAST PAGES DAMMIT!
1. Kid Icarus is a reboot of a console series, the Boxing Ring has a version that's not based off a game, that doesn't matter because Xenoblade is still on 3DS, the only real point you have is the Pokemon stage.
2. If it were only for Yellow Devil, why would they show more bosses?
3. Exactly. King K Rool is more popular and he isn't in. My point exactly.
4/5. In that case, everyone asked for Dark Pit, amirite?

About the popularity and better sales argument, when was the last Ice Climbers game that sold well by the way?
My point was, popularity isn't the main reason to choose the character. Not that Waluigi should be playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fang3207

Smash Cadet
who says smash belongs to the casual community. hence the for glory mode, faster, no tripping and stuff.

I am starting to get the idea you are just trolling the community so it will reach 2000 pages to crash boards. you got your dr. Mario stop hating Ridley and those who want him.
Wow. Now you're gonna accuse me of trolling because of my profile picture.
Obviously, For Glory is the only online mode. I never said this game is only for casuals. I'm saying Waluigi is more popular to the casual and hardcore market. If you only market a game to the hardcore audience, it won't sell well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My point was, popularity isn't the main reason to choose the character. Not that Waluigi should be playable.
So, what's your point against Ridley then?

This kind of turned into a moot point

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
1. Kid Icarus is a reboot of a console series, the Boxing Ring has a version that's not based off a game, that doesn't matter because Xenoblade is still on 3DS, the only real point you have is the Pokemon stage.
2. If it were only for Yellow Devil, why would they show more bosses?
3. Exactly. King K Rool is more popular and he isn't in. My point exactly.
4/5. In that case, everyone asked for Dark Pit, amirite?
1 did the stage appear on the console game? No. Xenoblade 3DS looks like alpha footage, it may not even have been planned before smash was known
2. Teasing a popular character
3. That isn't your point, your point was with Waluigi
4/5 Everyone is asking for Melee 2.0 Melee had a bunch of clone padding, it happened, it actually works as an argument, and stop this! or PsychoIncarnate will have to do this!

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
Is there any way to make posts from certain people invisible for me? Like muting

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
Guys take this somewhere else this is a speculation thread only, go talk on a different thread because this is primarily Ridley speculation only.

Top Bottom