• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, taking certain details from each (or most) of the different Ridley designs and making it into one that looks the coolest or something is what I would prefer most too, if anything, or they can just continue using Super's design like they have in Smash since the start. Either way you can't really go wrong.

As for movements, well I had no problems with the way they were executed in AG's hack personally, though I guess they could make him hover a bit higher off the ground while he's moving or dashing, while his feet remain on the ground while he's attacking standing still or crouching. Or as someone mentioned on the last page, his dash could be a fast crawl on all fours with his tail tucked back. I dunno, I don't have too much input when it comes to those kind of things. You might be right about the head needing to be resized a bit, but I think the tail looks fine, as far as AG's Ridley hack goes anyway.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
im not familiar with the different character models besides those from the prime trilogy, other m, and brawl. I dont see why they cant just take details from each model and make A ridley that works.

What is your opinion on Ridley's movement Ridley_Prime? that is my only remaining concern with Ridley because of the video that i posted in my comment on the last page. it hope it isnt that exact movement because he'll take up a lot of room, especially when watching him on final destination
I rather liked the Brawl design, except for the neck which seemed a little thin. He was also good in the Melee opening.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I can't think of any aspect of Other M Ridley's design that I'd like to see in Sm4sh. His design does vary a bit between Super Metroid's artwork, Super Metroid in-game and Zero Mission. A mixture of them would be alright, but there isn't a lot of difference between them. Brawl's Ridley seems to be based on the Super Metroid artwork but with different colors.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can't think of any aspect of Other M Ridley's design that I'd like to see in Sm4sh. His design does vary a bit between Super Metroid's artwork, Super Metroid in-game and Zero Mission. A mixture of them would be alright, but there isn't a lot of difference between them. Brawl's Ridley seems to be based on the Super Metroid artwork but with different colors.
im not a huge fan of Other M Ridley either. the only thing i would almost be ok with would be the spikes, but less of them and far smaller. If they made his neck a little thicker on the Brawl model of him, i think that would be the best looking one

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I rather liked the Brawl design, except for the neck which seemed a little thin. He was also good in the Melee opening.
All incarnations of Ridley (except Other M) have incredibly thin necks. The Melee design was probably my favorite one as far as his Smash appearances.

im not a huge fan of Other M Ridley either. the only thing i would almost be ok with would be the spikes, but less of them and far smaller. If they made his neck a little thicker on the Brawl model of him, i think that would be the best looking one
Spikes are a common thing on a lot of dragons, so I'm indifferent on that, but I certainly wouldn't mind them using Other Ridley's wings or even the tail, though the latter would have to be resized.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you on the neck. Perhaps something like this?

[COLLAPSE="picture"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
that works for me. maybe if his neck was shorter in length too? just an overall downsize, even though i feel like thats a part of his character. whatever the case, Ridley is an obvious choice for a new character in Smash Bros, and if they have started on the movesets, hopefully Ridley has already been added considering he is a top requested character by the fans

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I guess Sakurai will reuse the design from Brawl, if he chooses to include Ridley in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

I hear in the recent interview Sakurai commented that Ridley was definitely too big
That's just SubparSmashBrother being a troll.
Sakurai only said one thing in regards to Smash, and that is how he finds it "fun making new moves for new characters".

D

Deleted member

Pretty impossible, but with effort, it can be done. He would be a little on the slow side, though.

Paraphrasing what Sakurai said.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Pretty impossible, but with effort, it can be done. He would be a little on the slow side, though.

Paraphrasing what Sakurai said.
I think that he would actually play clise to JigglyPuff
Slowish on te ground, but still strong. But get in the air and you have an airborne death machine. He would have a high jump, glide, and some up special that is strong but not much height. His specials would be good and just simple, non combo attacks. And then you becone an airborne monstrosity.

:phone:

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
[COLLAPSE="Oasis"]
Gonna have to nip that other one in the bud. Sorry ChronoBound.

SO YEAH, Ridley is pretty much inarguable. Don't even have to make a big post about it.

Guess I could post my moveset or whatever. I'll edit that in later.

Look, see, an edit:
[collapse=Moveset]This is how I see Ridley, by the way (FOR THE MOST PART HUSH ABOUT THE WINGS):

Attributes – Ridley is a large character, nearly the size of Bowser. However, his scrawny frame, useful for flying, keeps him from being as heavy. In fact, I’d say he could be as light as Wolf (the 14th heaviest character in Brawl) but no heavier than R.O.B. (10th heaviest character). His ground speed would be pretty good (Charizard (7th fastest) to Donkey Kong (9th) range). His aerial maneuverability in general would be among the top, probably similar to Yoshi. He can also jump five times. He can glide, but not wall cling, wall jump, or crawl.

Playstyle concept – I see Ridley as awkward on the ground, but amazing in the air. Jigglypuff’s king, if you will. His ground game in general would be damaging, and focus on sending opponents upward, but hard or risky to connect most of the time. In the air though, all of his moves are useful and quick, as well as being capable of comboing. Ridley’s aerial potential is why I say he should not be a heavyweight, as that may make him broken.

Entrance – A pair of glowing eyes appear out of nowhere. Ridley gives out loud roar as the rest of his body fades into visibility.

A – Quickly swipes with left hand claws. Fixed knockback. 4%-2%
AA – Follows up with right hand claws. Fixed knockback. 3%
AAA – Follows up with a quick bite. All together relatively good damage. 5%
Dash – Ridley spins above the ground (think Falco’s F-air) to lightly knock opponents upward. 10%-7%

F-tilt – Extends neck to bite. Awkward to connect due to the length of his neck. Could very well miss an opponent that is too close. Good damage and horizontal knockback to compensate. 12%-9%
U-tilt – Quickly puts his head down and lifts it upward over his body in an arcing motion. Flips opponents up into the air with fixed knockback. Naturally combos into U-smash. Does not hit behind him. 11%-8%
D-tilt – Sweeps the ground in front of him with his tail. One of his faster ground attacks and can trip opponents. 9%-5%

F-smash – Winds up his tail while charging, then stabs straight forward. Sweetspot at the tip which can KO. Awkward to connect like his F-tilt. Good damage and a bit of ending lag. 17-15%
U-smash – Breathes a single large burst of fire upward. Combos with U-tilt. Good damage and knockback. Does not hit to either side of him. 16%-14%
D-smash – Lowers himself and spins around once. While spinning he extends his tail outward and breathes fire. The fire does not have much knockback, but may be followed up by the tail at lower percentages. The tail is mainly what you want to hit with. It sends opponents up into the air. His slowest ground attack. This move recalls an attack from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Tail: 9%, Fire: 6%

N-air – Spins his tail around his body (clockwise when facing to the left). Think Meta Knight, Wolf, etc. Tip knocks opponents outward, while non-tip hits knock opponents at the angle they were hit. Combo potential. Mostly just gets opponents off you. Sweetspot: 13%, Sourspot: 7%
F-air – Stabs tail forward quickly. Already a good KO move, but a sweetspotted tip makes it even more so. Tipper: 18%, Non-Tipper: 12%
B-air – Twirls his tail closely behind his body for multiple (six) hits. Similar to Yoshi’s. 2% every hit, finishing hit is 5%
D-air – Stabs his tail downward. Tip sweetspots with a meteor smash. If not sweetspotted, it causes a pogo effect similar to Link’s. Sweetspot: 14%, Sourspot: 8%
U-air – Attacks with wing spikes. Slight upward knockback. Can probably hit with it a few times if you’re moving upward, like with Meta-Knight’s. 5%

Glide attack – A strong bite. As strong as Charizard’s. 12%

Pummel – While holding opponent by their head, he breathes fire on them. Relatively slow yet damaging among pummel attacks. 4%
F-throw – While holding opponent by their head, he quickly stabs them with his tail about five times, then with a sends them flying with a stronger sixth stab. Very damaging. 2% each stab, 4% last stab
U-throw – Grabs opponents with his talons and carries them into the air while swatting them twice with his tail. He quickly descends, slamming them into the ground with all his weight. Most damaging throw due to the high vulnerability. Opponents are sent upward after being slammed. 4% each swipe, 7% on slam
D-throw – Grabs opponents in his mouth, raises them upward and brutally slams them into the ground. Very damaging. 12%
B-throw – Stabs tail into opponent while they are in his grasp. He then flings his opponent, now impaled on his tail, behind him. 8%

Special – (Fireball) – When tapping the special button, Ridley releases a spray of four fireballs. They travel a relatively short distance for a projectile, and are essentially a wall of hitboxes. They do not do much knockback or damage. When holding special, Ridley releases a single large fireball. This fireball travels a longer distance, and causes more knockback and damage. When done in the air, the large fireball travels in a downward diagonal direction. If it were to hit the ground, a small damaging shockwave comes from the impact. His special can actually be used while gliding to fire up to four shots that “bomb” the stage. These do little damage and knockback. 2% each fireball, 5% on large one, 2% on shockwave
Side Special – (Command Grab) – Ridley flies forward a distance longer than Ganondorf’s side special, but with slightly longer startup. Ridley can only do this once in the air, but he will not be put into a helpless state. If the grab connects Ridley will essentially act as though he has a second normal grab. He can pummel opponents with his tail, and opponents can also break out of the grab. On the ground, “throwing” forward or back causes Ridley to drag the opponent across the ground for a set distance, racking up damage. At the end of the animation (he cannot fall off ledges during this) he will simply toss the opponent upward. You can also simply throw the opponent upward to begin with as a sort of “U-throw” option. Unlike Bowser and Ganondorf, Ridley has wings and does not have to plummet to the ground when connecting his command grab in the air. Again, while in the air it is essentially a second grab. There are no “F-throw” and “B-throw” options in the air, but you can “U-throw” opponents upward. You can also dive-bomb while holding the opponent as a “D-throw.” This will result in a suicide if done off the stage. Same percents as normal throws.
Down Special – (Reflector) – Holding down special charges up a reflector. While charging, you are vulnerable to any attack. Once the charge is complete, you can move around freely as though you have a Franklin Badge. Ridley’s skin darkens while you have these properties, accompanied by particle effects. All together, the charge time and effect time lasts about 3.5 to 4 seconds.
Up Special – (Fly/Unfly) – This move is similar to R.O.B. and Pit’s Up Specials. It works with Ridley’s five jumps. If you were to use Fly (and Unfly) five times, Ridley could no longer jump, and vice versa if you were to jump five times, you would not be able to use Fly. Pressing down while using Fly causes Ridley to Unfly. You are not put into a helpless state. You can attack with aerials normally while Flying, as well as after Unflying. Like R.O.B.’s “fuel,” you can only Fly for a certain amount of time – 3.5 seconds.

Final Smash – Meta-Ridley Transfo—**** THAT. SPACE PIRATE RAID: The camera zooms in on Ridley as he roars to summon two Space Pirate ships. The Space Pirates hop out to attack Ridley’s opponents. Think of them as enemies from Melee’s adventure mode. They have limited methods of attack, and can be attacked and killed themselves. The problem for your opponents is that there would be so many of them to deal with. The amount would depend on the amount of players, and Ridley’s damage. There would also be different kinds of Space Pirates that hop out. Grey pirates are the simplest to kill, with only a small amount of health. Green pirates have more health, Red have even more, and Gold pirates have the most. They all attack by shooting beams (which can be fired horizontally or diagonally upward) and jumping. Gold pirates can do a jump kick which has a lot of knockback. They disappear after a set amount of time.

Not even sure I agree with all of this anymore, BUT WHATEVER. There, the post is big like Ridley. HEELS.[/collapse]

Here's some size suggestion stuff courtesy of Mario_and_Sonic_Guy. I'd advise not even bringing up "he's too big" argument, because it's really dumb and no one wants to waste their time showing you why you're dumb just to here you say "OOOOHHHHhhhhh" or "Sorry, but I'm dumb and choose not to understand as a defense mechanism so I can feel like I'm right, even though I only believe the argument is true because I saw someone say it once long ago and it sounded kind of convincing at a glance so I believed it kind of like that time my brother told me the Earth's seasons are caused by the Earth's orbit being closer to the sun in the summertime." Just, I dunno, sit down for a minute, practice some critical thinking, and you won't make a terrible mistake. ANYWAY, here:
[collapse=Size Comparisons]Ridley & Mario

Ridley & Bowser

Ridley & Samus

Ridley & Ganondorf

Ridley & Charizard

Ridley & Groudon

Ridley & Zekrom

Ridley & Galleom

[/collapse]
[collapse=Size Comparisons]Ridley & Bowser (T-stance version)

Ridley & Ganondorf (T-stance version)

[/collapse]
[/COLLAPSE]

While I still fear a disaster, the more I see Charizard in Brawl, the more I keep thinking, "It could work."

BTW, those "size comparison" shots...? Get them off! Ridley's scaring me to death; looking straight into the camera.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find those size comparison pics really helpful, mostly because I'm just terrible at picturing things in my head, lol. :laugh:

I think Ridley's size could even be increased a little in those pics (except the wings, those are already huge) and it would still be a fine size. If nothing else, it really just proves how ridiculous the size argument is. It's a shame that Sakurai seemed to agree with the opposing side of the argument during past game development, although at least he seems to be making some concessions now, and hopefully he'll find a way to make Ridley work for him, even if he has to make him "on the slow side".

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
You can't just ignore such support. Characters get in according to him, because they make him people want to play the game, and i want to play a firebreathing space dragon.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai needed big bosses for the Subspace Emissary or whatever it was called. Ridley fit the bill. I think he has a chance this time around.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You can't just ignore such support. Characters get in according to him, because they make him people want to play the game, and i want to play a firebreathing space dragon.
^This. Especially when looking at the current roster (Brawl) all of the characters for the most part are main characters in their series. At this point in Smash Bros, they are going to have to dig into secondary characters, such as Ridley and Dark Samus, even though i myself would consider Ridley a main character.

For example, Mario (as a series) is the biggest money maker for the company. I'd like to see them bring in Paper Mario, and if not him, then it will most likely be Bowser Jr. if they add another character at all. This would be because they now have mostly secondary characters to choose from inside Mario as a franchise.

What i guess im trying to say, is that if Metroid is going to get another rep (which by looking at the amount of popularity and support Ridley is getting, should be a high possibility), then it will most likely be Ridley or Dark Samus, unless Prime 4 gets released

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
If there is a Smash 5, then Ridley AND Dark Samus would be guaranteed for that, because they would be below scraping the barrel for characters, they would be using a high powered vacuum on the barrel to get any interesting and unique characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Exactly. I think they will be seeing a decline in candidates for Smash Bros, so seeing popular characters like Ridley, K.Rool, Krystal, etc...is probably likely. Even if they go to newer characters such as Shulk, Saki, or Isaac, that will not be enough to fill out the roster. At least some of the most requested characters will make the roster, im sure of it.

EDIT: This is pretty much why some people should look at Smash 4 as an opportunity for the "leftover" characters in particular franchises to get in. By leftover, i mean characters that deserve to get in, but havent yet. So for Mario, i would say Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario are most likely, while for Metroid it will be Ridley and/or Dark Samus. Its probably another reason why Sakurai will not be adding as many characters, as the pool of candidates is considerably smaller than it was pre-brawl

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Well a lot of people think his has already finished the roster, in which case, a popular character could rise up quickly now, and then get underdeveloped in a rush to put them in. So right now, i have to say the big three are Ridley, K.Rool, and for the sake of adding a third party, Megaman.
I would also have to say that Isaac, Krystal, Krom, and others have a chance, but the are not as heavily requested.

EDIT: Thats what i hope he does, takes good characters from existing Brawl series and adds them in, and then he takes characters from nintendo series that don't have a rep. Not take like 2 or 3 characters from a unrepresented series, just one to add diversity.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i'd have to agree with the top 3 you put, as in Ridley, K.Rool, and Megaman. After those 3, however, i think the prospects look different. After the top 3, even if they aren't as popular (aka krystal, mario/zelda/pokemon rep), they will be the next characters added.

adding two characters to the roster from the same already unrepresented franchise seems like a bad idea, as there are plenty of different characters that people want to see. And if Sakurai already has his roster set, then hopefully we see characters that we want. i dont think we have much to worry about this time around (or at least as much as before)

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
i'd have to agree with the top 3 you put, as in Ridley, K.Rool, and Megaman. After those 3, however, i think the prospects look different. After the top 3, even if they aren't as popular (aka krystal, mario/zelda/pokemon rep), they will be the next characters added.

adding two characters to the roster from the same already unrepresented franchise seems like a bad idea, as there are plenty of different characters that people want to see. And if Sakurai already has his roster set, then hopefully we see characters that we want. i dont think we have much to worry about this time around (or at least as much as before)
Well pokemon and mario have i think 6 or 7 each, but they have a lot of games. Star Fox has 3 characters and want another, and they only had 5 games. And they are all pretty similar. So some of the less known franchises might get a rep as opposed to a large one getting a lot of reps.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This is true, but compared to Star Fox and other franchises, Mario and Pokemon are the most well known franchises Nintendo owns. Because of that, i believe that they could get another rep. Mario lost a rep from Melee, and Pokemon has had 4 for 2 games straight. I could see one more for both series, but no more than that.

In a way, Brawl did just that, giving other series a chance to squeeze into the roster (Kirby, Star Fox, Earthbound) I see what you're saying though. And i agree. Other franchises should get more reps, because that will get those games into the minds of people, such as Metroid or more new franchises altogether. (not that they should add 3 characters from a new series, but more individual franchises)

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I saw someone with an idea on the Roster Discussion thread, and he said that he wanted a Smash Game, where it is 2 of the most iconic characters from a franchise, a hero and a villain. Mario and Bowser, Samus and Ridley, DK and K.Rool,Link and Ganondorf, Kirby and Dedede, Fox and Wolf( Because Andross isn't viable), Luigi and Boo,and so on. I thought that would be cool because it would end up with a total roster that would be maybe 20-30. Maybe as like a final Smash game, with the characters having the best moveset they could have. But that is another discussion for another time.

D

Deleted member

Who says Andross isn't viable?

He had a normal body at some point, correct? So if he was playable in Smash, he would have a normal body, perhaps with gloves like his 64 counterpart to where he could use those abilities. Final Smash would be him going in his giant head form.

The design of the body could be something like this: http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&q=Andross&offset=144#/d1pdfan

But I understand this is a Ridley thread, so I'll leave it at that. It's just, with all this talk on how Ridley can work, it pains me when people can't figure that out for someone else like Andross.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Who says Andross isn't viable?

He had a normal body at some point, correct? So if he was playable in Smash, he would have a normal body, perhaps with gloves like his 64 counterpart to where he could use those abilities. Final Smash would be him going in his giant head form.

The design of the body could be something like this: http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&q=Andross&offset=144#/d1pdfan

But I understand this is a Ridley thread, so I'll leave it at that. It's just, with all this talk on how Ridley can work, it pains me when people can't figure that out for someone else like Andross.
Well i only played Star Fox 64, so I only think of the giant head. So i don't know what he did in his humanoid form. But yes this is a Ridley thread.
I think he would dash like Charizard and MK, with a really high jump and fast glide. But a slow walk speed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i could see Andross as a viable character if they have a Star Fox game released where Andross is present in a humanoid form/has a body. I think putting him in there now would confuse a lot of people. I'm all for that if they give him that appearance in a more recent game.

But on the topic of Ridley, as i stated before, i firmly believe that he, K.Rool, and a third popular choice will be in the game, above most other characters. If Sakurai commented that it would be difficult but possible to put him in, and hackers can do a decent resizing, i have a lot of confidence in it. I personally would like to see more villains in Smash, so putting Ridley in would be a great idea

D

Deleted member

Colors are easy. Note, I mean these in color, not design.

Default:

Red Team:

Blue Team:

Green Team:

Other 1:

Other 2: I don't really know. This can be anything, really.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I always figure a black color is guaranteed. Black with yellow wings, I guess. Then maybe a "white color." A light grey with green wings? A callback to Mecha-Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Ah, I forgot Mech Ridley.
That could be the Other 2.

Or perhaps the Little Birdie colors? (White with red) :troll:

Top Bottom