• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

For those of you that may be interested in my response to the questions posed by @ AustarusIV AustarusIV , my "Text-Wall Construction" has been completed and you can go back and read my responses to his questions in the original post I made regarding the subject on page 932.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
If you mean the first time you fight Ridley in that game, I agree, it's pretty awesome. Falling to your death while fighting a giant dragon was a thrill.

I do think fighting him in Prime 1 was still better, gameplay wise. It's one of my favorite fights.
Not to mention in that battle Ridley so boss he tries to pimp slap Samus :chuckle:

I have seen the Prime 1 boss battle it doesn't seem as high octane as prime 3 but I haven't played personally so I dont know, even if I did I would probably still prefer Prime 3 since its my first prime game (I know Iam late) and it blew me away of how epic it was when I was younger.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Not to mention in that battle Ridley so boss he tries to pimp slap Samus :chuckle:

I have seen the Prime 1 boss battle it doesn't seem as high octane as prime 3 but I haven't played personally so I dont know, even if I did I would probably still prefer Prime 3 since its my first prime game (I know Iam late) and it blew me away of how epic it was when I was younger.
I can't hold that against ya.

I like the prime 1's fight a lot because it had such a great build up. You catch a glimpse of Ridley early in the game, in the space pirate ship, not fully rebuilt, it seems. Later, when you first discover the Phendrana Drifts, his ominous shadow stalks you. You hear his screech. And then you forget about him for awhile. You get to the impact site, and expect to find what's been corrupting the planet. You finally collect all of the artifact, and just as the door to the final area is opening, Meta-Ridley, newly built, swoops in to try to stop you before you can save the planet. It's really like a final showdown with the pirates before being able to save stop the corruption.

And after a whole game of fighting larger than life bosses, Ridley is much smaller in comparison, faster and more agile. He flies really far away into the skybox during the fight, which is intimidating.

It's just an overall solid fight, if you ever get a chance to play it, I would recommend it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
>Discussing Ridley's boss battles
>Consensus isn't this battle:
It's a good fight, probably the best 2D Metroid fight imo, but boss battles generally work better in 3D since there are less limitations. With that said, considering I don't particularly like either of his two boss battles in Prime 3 this still ranks as my 2nd favorite Ridley battle, only behind Prime 1 and tieing with Other M.

I actually have this fight saved as my save state on the Wii U atm so I can fight Ridley whenever I want to, it's really one of the only bosses in the game that doesn't follow a set pattern, the fight always unfolds in different ways, it's just a very well programmed AI all around.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I come here to the Ridley thread, and I missed everything ever.

But really, Ridley's boss fight was alright in Super Metroid IMO, but it suffers from the main issue with classic 2D Metroids that keeps me from putting them as high as the Prime Trilogy as a rule. I mean someone mentioned earlier that Omega Ridley is just "stand there and kill with hyper mode in two seconds", when I played Super Metroid it was literally "stand there and kill with super missiles in ten seconds".

Prime 1 and 3 as well as Other M had great Ridley fights though IMO that I enjoyed doing a lot. I have no idea how I'd rank those fights, though Meta Ridley in Prime 3 was probably my least favorite even if it was crazy and unique for a Ridley fight.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I actually have this fight saved as my save state on the Wii U atm so I can fight Ridley whenever I want to, it's really one of the only bosses in the game that doesn't follow a set pattern, the fight always unfolds in different ways, it's just a very well programmed AI all around.
I always made sure to never save after that fight, so if I ever felt like doing the last battle again, I had to go through Ridley first. Every time. And it was always worth it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why hasn't the thread title been changed to reflect our new lounge setup yet?

See, I turned like notifications off immediately when I joined to avoid dealing with something like that.
...You can do that? Well gfdi. One moment please.

EDIT: Geeze. Been a member for seven years and I never bothered to look around for that kind of thing. :Y

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
IMG_0823.PNG

"You all need to know that you are great And delicious looking"
and also I really enjoy drawing this guy.
But really, the dedication here is really admirable and I think it's my favourite Ridley related thing beside actuall Ridley and Roidly.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wait, you're still doing that thing? Can't the whole thing be explained away by pointing out how pointless it would be for Sakurai to hide a boss? All the other non-playable characters were shown without any teasing, and when people weren't sure about Ashley, he came right out said she wasn't playable. That's not how he's treating Ridley though.
He said he was going to post a wall-to-text construction refuting my arguments, and I look forward to what he says.

I don't want this thread to look like a bunch of crazed, elitist cultists who are in denial about what happened at the April Direct. We're already in enough deep crap at the moment, we don't need our reputation to go down in infamy even further.

Text-Wall Construction Completed:

1. The answer here is simple, Dark Emperor and Twinrova were bosses/hazards that had already been revealed. Considering that the Direct was focused on New Information (considering we had gotten details on the Yellow Devil's Mechanics) and that Ridley's shadow was shown in the few seconds that Sakurai was referring to "Other Boss Character Appearances" it is logical that Sakurai would have shown characters that would've been considered "other" or not already revealed at that time such as Ridley, because by the Time of the Direct, Twinrova and the Dark Emperor had already been detailed to an extent, so they were no longer "other" boss characters. Furthermore, in the Direct, Sakurai did not say something along the lines of "Other stages will feature Stage Bosses as well" but rather said "Boss characters will make appearances in other stages as well, not just this one." so his wording is quite ambiguous here, after all, on a technical level, boss characters can appear on any stage in Smash 4 if the player chooses to play as Bowser or Ike (who is technically a boss character for a very short time in FE: Radiant Dawn) and in past iterations the same could be done with Ganondorf. What also needs to be considered is Sakurai's actions in other parts of the Direct, such as his fake-out with the Pseudo Palutena Trophy, while obviously this action was more clear, it still is interesting in the sense that Sakurai did such a thing with a character that was later revealed to be playable.

2. While it may be plausible that Sakurai intends for us to take what he says at face value, numerous counter examples already exist that contradict this desire. For example, a while back Sakurai revealed in a PotD that Phosphora was a trophy, well come E3, it turns out that Phosphora is more than a trophy, in fact she exists as part of the AT lineup. Another example is in his direct teasing of G&W at the end of the Pac-Man trailer where he has G&W on-screen and yet still hasn't confirmed G&W as a returning veteran, what is this if not leading all of the G&W fans on since G&W has yet to be confirmed? If G&W, by some circumstance, ends up being cut, then Sakurai would've completely contradicted himself in saying that he doesn't want to give fans false hope.

3. If our size estimates are correct, then Ridley, playable or not, would be only slightly larger than Bowser. In SSE, Meta Ridley and Ridley, while certainly being smaller compared to some of the other bosses, are still significantly larger than any of the playable characters, Meta-Ridley, being smaller than normal Ridley in SSE, is still at least 2x times as large as DK, and even without his wings, dwarfs DK by a considerable margin, DK being a character that is similar in size to Bowser, who is the largest playable character in Smash to date. Ridley's boss appearances in previous Smash games are still significantly larger than any of the playable characters, so why would Sakurai waste time making him smaller as a Boss Character? There'd be no reason for Sakurai to make Boss Ridley as small as the sizes we've estimated if he is indeed a Stage Boss considering his size in SSBB where he has already appeared as a Boss. After all, Stage Bosses are meant to be intimidating, so if Ridley is a Stage Boss, having more size would certainly help in his intimidation factor. Even in Other M, he is still at least 2x times Samus's size as well. Furthermore, original Ridley when he appears in SSBB, is fought on a stage that is similar in size to the Pyrosphere, so wouldn't he logically be a similar size to such an appearance if he is the boss?

4. This goes back to the fact that Bowser is the largest playable character in Smash Bros. History and that Rosalina also belongs in this category. At their current sizes, both of them come close to clipping through the platforms on Battlefield, and logically Sakurai wouldn't want a playable character to be any larger than these two because it would simply look odd for a playable character to have his head above a platform and his body below. So at maximum, Ridley's size as playable would be similar to Bowser's or Rosalina's. Furthermore, considering Ridley's characteristics, there'd be no reason that he'd be around Mario's size either. Also, it has been mentioned before that the Shadows in Smash 4 are static, and thus stay the same size regardless of a character's position on a stage. Additionally, a Shadow is a representation of the amount of light blocked by a physical object or being, and since shadows are unchanging in Smash, and would logically be very similar to the character's size in the game, little (if any) counter evidence exists at the current time for our estimations to be inaccurate.

5. Certainly, a Stage Boss Ridley appearance could fulfill all of these requirements, but what should be considered is that Smash 4 seems to be breaking a lot of the trends of the older games. For example, in past games, Bowser was always the incredibly slow, incredibly heavy, and hard-hitting character, but in Smash 4, he is significantly faster, has had a notable posture change and is altogether completely different from how he used to be. Furthermore, Smash 4 has also eliminated transformation characters, a characteristic that was in Melee and Brawl. Also, the game speed, the higher prominence of ground-based tactics, the killing strength of throws, the FD stage forms, etc. are all things that notably differentiate this game from any of the earlier Smash games. So who's to say that they'll not break such a trend with the Metroid Stage Characteristics?

6. While Sal Romano's source has certainly mentioned almost all of the characters that have been revealed as Newcomers, it has to be kept in mind that he has not revealed ALL of the characters. Such an example would be Rosalina, who wasn't included in either of the leaks and still was revealed as a newcomer. Furthermore, interesting parts exist within the leaks to suggest that Sal Romano's leaker may not know all of the characters to be revealed as newcomers. For example, in his 2nd leak, he mentioned a "Pokemon from X and Y" but we know now that the roster was already decided on in early development, so at this time there would've been nothing preventing him from writing Greninja aside from the fact that he only knew that a "Pokemon from X and Y" was to be included, and not which specific one. This along with the Rosalina counter example further support the idea that Sal's source may indeed not have access to all of the planned newcomers for Smash 4. So to be blunt, it is compulsively ignorant to automatically assume that Sal Romano's source has leaked all of the remaining newcomers to be included in Smash 4.

7. Again, Smash 4 has shown that Sakurai and his team are willing to break from the formula that has been present in past Smash games, so it plausible that Sakurai's view on the Metroid franchise has changed this time around. This also goes back to the idea that the character roster and other certain characteristics such as bosses for Adventure Mode are decided early in development. In Brawl, since SSE was supposed to be this epic battle between the heroes of the Nintendo Franchises and the villains, who were working under Tabuu, it is logical that Ridley was simply decided as one of the non-playable antagonist characters. It should also be considered that during that time, Sakurai thought that the implementation of Ridley as a playable character would've been impossible, but as Smash 4 has shown, Sakurai is prone to going back on his past statements (such as his statements about an Animal Crossing Representative "not fitting" because they weren't from a universe with tons of action and fighting) so it is plausible that this time around Sakurai wants to move past the idea of "two playable Samuses and their arch-nemesis as boss character."

The above statements are my responses to each of your questions.
While I still have a hard time grasping the idea of Sakurai using characters like Bowser or Ike as an example of "boss characters" (Ridley was already one in the SSE), your points are all very sound. They definitely do not sound as though they come from someone who's in denial.

Again, I wanted to make sure that this thread remains respectable to at least some parts of SmashBoards.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah, but has anyone left for 10 minutes and come back to over a hundred likes? It's horrifying.
Sometimes, I actually do stuff at my job, and when I come back to the thread, it has exploded. scary stuff.

I keep notifications on, I like to live on the wild side.

Also I'm incredibly vain and love waking up to 30+ likes

Last edited:

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Possibly because Romano was given only six newcomers from whoever told him the secrets behind SSB4's development. Remember that Sal came and went after he posted his leak, and didn't come back until the April Direct. If Rosalina hadn't been revealed in December, he probably would have included her in his second leak.
Sal's leaker said that he had no idea about Rosalina, she would have not been on the second leak if she hadn't been revealed before it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why was Gematsu even split into two parts? There was no reason for it whatsoever. Better question: Why are we talking about Gematsu? It doesn't affect Ridley.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I don't want this thread to look like a bunch of crazed, elitist cultists who are in denial about what happened at the April Direct. We're already in enough deep crap at the moment, we don't need our reputation to go down in infamy even further.
Well the whole Direct was full of trolling, it wasn't just the Ridley part. The Palutena teasing was the other big one, and we've seen now how that turned out. Of course no one should just assume Ridley's playable, but anyone who doesn't see how that part of the Direct was super suspicious really doesn't put much thought into anything. If Ridley turns out to be a boss after all, then Sakurai was being really dumb in April.

Sometimes, I actually do stuff at my job
I don't even know what to say to this...

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Why was Gematsu even split into two parts? There was no reason for it whatsoever. Better question: Why are we talking about Gematsu? It doesn't affect Ridley.
Because, apparently, Gematsu is love, Gematsu is life, and as such all things revolve around Gematsu. If your favorite newcomer was not on Gematsu's leak, you can kiss them goodbye because they are never gonna make it in the history of ever.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Here's a very quick little story for ya.

The heat was overbearing. Ashes flew every which way like blacked snowflakes. Magma boiled and flowed through the underground chamber; a red river of death and destruction.

Perched atop a metal platform, the head commander of the Space Pirates, Ridley, waited.

And waited…

And waited…

“Where is that sorry excuse of a bounty hunter?!” Ridley spouted in anger, “I’ve been sitting in this burning hellhole for days!”

Mere moments later, a small white envelope fluttered in front of the dragon’s view. Curious, he grabbed it with his claws before the paper could drift into the searing molten rock below. Turning the object over, Ridley spied a red wax seal stamped with a circular symbol. There were two lines intersecting each other, making a skewed L shape.

His eyes widening ever so slightly, Ridley recognized where the symbol was from, and dexterously open the seal. There was a hand-written letter inside, the details of which Ridley read with extreme interest. A subtle, sinister smile crept along the Space Pirate’s teeth-laden jaws.

Just as Ridley finished reading, a familiar orange figure appeared before him.

The Space Pirate looked up and narrowed his eyes to barely visible slits, but the grin remained on his murderous maw. “Ah, you’re here.” He greeted with the most poisonous malice.

Angered, the human pointed her arm cannon at her archenemy, ready for battle.

Laughing at her bravado, Ridley put a hand up. “Not today hunter.” With his other hand, he revealed the letter, and relished the horrified expression that struck his would-be opponent’s dilated pupils.

Expanding his magnificent wings, Ridley threw the hunter one last smirk. “See you later. And don’t worry; I’ll save your pitiful corpse for last.” With that he took to the air and flew up and out of his hellish lair.
Wow, 14 people liked this? I literally spent ten minutes writing it on a whim, certainly not my best work. All in perceptive I guess.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's basically been our reputation for all of time, even before the April direct was even a thing. So I dunno what to tell you. :p

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Hey Ridley fans, I've been thinking about something, and I wanted your opinions on it. It has to do with Ridley's role in the Metroid games. I've seen a lot of people play Metroid games, and I've played a few myself, but I always think about one thing: Ridley doesn't really stand out as much as I think he should. Before you eat me for saying such a thing, hear me out.

Ridley probably has the most ties with a protagonist of a series in any Nintendo franchise. I mean, he raided Samus's planet and slaughtered her parents. I don't think any other Nintendo villain really has that kind of link to the hero. Bowser doesn't have a *connection* with Mario, Meta Knight and Dedede are more anti-heroes, I personally don't count Mewtwo as a villain at all, King K. Rool kidnapped Donkey Kong at one point, I guess. Only other villain I can think of that can be somewhat compared to Ridley is Ganondorf. His ties with Link and Zelda are pretty deep, as they're bound by the Triforce and destiny and all that jazz. But Ridley in the games doesn't really...do much, you know? He's never the big bad as far as I remember, and whenever you see him, he's just a normal boss like any other boss. The only game I can think of where he did something more meaningful was Other M, where you see him throughout the game and when Samus confronts him, she freaks out and has a flashback or whatever, and he toyed with her and whatnot. In Prime 3, you have the Morph Ball session with him in Norian, and in Prime 1, you see hints of him throughout the beginning of the game, but neither of those are really that impactful or significant. Ganondorf just seems to do more, like in Ocarina where he went to the castle and chased out Zelda and Impa, he appeared in Link's dream in the beginning of the game, he snuck through the Temple of Time and stole the Triforce, he sent Phantom Ganondorf at Link. He had a meaningful impact in some portions of the game.

My point was that Ridley just seems like any other boss you come across and are required to kill. I love Ridley, don't get me wrong or anything, he's awesome and I love his design and personality, but he just kinda fades in with all those other bosses at times. Sure, you know his past with Samus and whatnot, but you never really see that in any of the games, and he never really has an impact in the games either. I would think someone as smart and intimidating as him would be more impactful as a villain. Here's my knowledge so far of what he does.

- Super Metroid: He kidnaps the baby and you see him later on Norfair. Then you kill him and that's about it.
- Metroid Prime: You see hints of him, mainly in Phedrona Drifts (spelling, sorry), then see him after the artifacts, and fight him. That's about it.
- Metroid Prime 3: You have a little Morph Ball session with him in Norian, then fight him. Then later, he's Omega Ridley enpowered by Phazon. I mean, I thought the Morph Ball thing gave more interaction with him, but other than that, just another boss, especially Omega Ridley, you just destory him with Hypermode.
- Other M: Probably the most, you see his clone grow thoughout the game, and attack you as a teen and a full adult. The baby version even killed someone and escaped it's cage. Then Samus has the whole trauma session with the adult Ridley, and he kinda messes with her a bit, until Anthony steps in and does his thing. I know that games gets a lot of hate, but in my opinion, Ridley had the biggest role in it he's had.
- Metroid: He's just a dude you have to fight to get to Mother Brain, right? Along with Kraid.
- Metroid Fusion: Doesn't his corpse get taken over buy a parasite, then you fight him? And that's the end of that.

I think that's about it for as much as I know. Anyway, I just wish that he played a bigger role. He's considered the main antagonist, which I agree with, but he's never the big bad, doesn't do too much except be a normal boss, and never really plays a significant role in the story or plot of any game, except Other M really. And then he goes and gets killed by a Queen Metroid. I just think that their relationship as arch-enemies could be deepened or maybe even his past be delved into.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Hey Ridley fans, I've been thinking about something, and I wanted your opinions on it. It has to do with Ridley's role in the Metroid games. I've seen a lot of people play Metroid games, and I've played a few myself, but I always think about one thing: Ridley doesn't really stand out as much as I think he should. Before you eat me for saying such a thing, hear me out.

Ridley probably has the most ties with a protagonist of a series in any Nintendo franchise. I mean, he raided Samus's planet and slaughtered her parents. I don't think any other Nintendo villain really has that kind of link to the hero. Bowser doesn't have a *connection* with Mario, Meta Knight and Dedede are more anti-heroes, I personally don't count Mewtwo as a villain at all, King K. Rool kidnapped Donkey Kong at one point, I guess. Only other villain I can think of that can be somewhat compared to Ridley is Ganondorf. His ties with Link and Zelda are pretty deep, as they're bound by the Triforce and destiny and all that jazz. But Ridley in the games doesn't really...do much, you know? He's never the big bad as far as I remember, and whenever you see him, he's just a normal boss like any other boss. The only game I can think of where he did something more meaningful was Other M, where you see him throughout the game and when Samus confronts him, she freaks out and has a flashback or whatever, and he toyed with her and whatnot. In Prime 3, you have the Morph Ball session with him in Norian, and in Prime 1, you see hints of him throughout the beginning of the game, but neither of those are really that impactful or significant. Ganondorf just seems to do more, like in Ocarina where he went to the castle and chased out Zelda and Impa, he appeared in Link's dream in the beginning of the game, he snuck through the Temple of Time and stole the Triforce, he sent Phantom Ganondorf at Link. He had a meaningful impact in some portions of the game.

My point was that Ridley just seems like any other boss you come across and are required to kill. I love Ridley, don't get me wrong or anything, he's awesome and I love his design and personality, but he just kinda fades in with all those other bosses at times. Sure, you know his past with Samus and whatnot, but you never really see that in any of the games, and he never really has an impact in the games either. I would think someone as smart and intimidating as him would be more impactful as a villain. Here's my knowledge so far of what he does.

- Super Metroid: He kidnaps the baby and you see him later on Norfair. Then you kill him and that's about it.
- Metroid Prime: You see hints of him, mainly in Phedrona Drifts (spelling, sorry), then see him after the artifacts, and fight him. That's about it.
- Metroid Prime 3: You have a little Morph Ball session with him in Norian, then fight him. Then later, he's Omega Ridley enpowered by Phazon. I mean, I thought the Morph Ball thing gave more interaction with him, but other than that, just another boss, especially Omega Ridley, you just destory him with Hypermode.
- Other M: Probably the most, you see his clone grow thoughout the game, and attack you as a teen and a full adult. The baby version even killed someone and escaped it's cage. Then Samus has the whole trauma session with the adult Ridley, and he kinda messes with her a bit, until Anthony steps in and does his thing. I know that games gets a lot of hate, but in my opinion, Ridley had the biggest role in it he's had.
- Metroid: He's just a dude you have to fight to get to Mother Brain, right? Along with Kraid.
- Metroid Fusion: Doesn't his corpse get taken over buy a parasite, then you fight him? And that's the end of that.

I think that's about it for as much as I know. Anyway, I just wish that he played a bigger role. He's considered the main antagonist, which I agree with, but he's never the big bad, doesn't do too much except be a normal boss, and never really plays a significant role in the story or plot of any game, except Other M really. And then he goes and gets killed by a Queen Metroid. I just think that their relationship as arch-enemies could be deepened or maybe even his past be delved into.
With the exception of Other M, Metroid has never been very story driven. So all of those things can be said about basically anything you fight. Ridley, however, is the only one with a personal connection to Samus, even though it's not really shown in-game. You should really read the manga, it'll clear everything up.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

You bring an interesting point. However, Ridley is overall the most prominent boss in all of Metroid, and even the most recurring character in the series (behind Samus). Although he's never the ultimate big bad in any game, he's pretty much Samus' arch-nemesis, having a deep history with her even before the first game.

And in every game he's in (except maybe the very first one), you can feel his pressence very early on, before eventually having a showdown with him near the end of the game; the Space Colony raid in Super Metroid, him flying in his ship after beating Kraid in Zero Mission, his reactivation in Orpheon in Prime, his first battle as Meta Ridley in Prime 3, the frozen carcass in Fusion and the whole Little Birdie subplot in Other M. You know he's there, waiting, but you don't know when he'll strike again.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Don't worry, this is not the K. Rool thread.

It is true that Ridley doesn't really stand much in the game, it is no different than other bosses, sometimes being even less memorable than other bosses in the game (like in Metroid Prime 3 and Fusion), but unlike you I wouldn't want it to be the bigger bad in a game, but I do agree Ridley should have more impact in the games and in Samus' character. There needs to be a build up for when you finally face Ridley in a game, like what happen with Ganondorf in the Zelda franchise.

An interesting way of further developing Ridley's character and making it have a bigger role in future games, would be properly showing that Ridley isn't a mindless killing machine. It is said to be an intelligent being, but in the games Ridley always act like a dumb **** and gets killed easily by Samus, often by the same tricks.

Then again, when you look at the Metroid franchise as a whole, it has a very minimalist approach. Characters don't talk in most games and when they do, it is only when necessary. Samus' personality is a mystery (what is this you are saying about Other M? never heard of this game), so it does make sense that her nemeses' personality and goal isn't shoved on our faces.

I don't know, I think Ridley should be more developed in the games, but at the same time I am afraid they could ruin the character (like they did with Samus in Other M) by trying to develop it.

majora_787

Smash Hero

Generally speaking Ridley is the consistent leader of the Space Pirates throughout the series. When Dark Samus and Mother Brain become involved for their brief instances in the series, they take roles over Ridley for various reasons, but Ridley is the consistent antagonist of not only Samus, but the Galactic Federation. Going from a chronological standpoint here:

Ridley was the initiator of the Zebes operations, and put their newly found supercomputer to power. (Mother Brain) In Prime 1, Ridley was the main antagonist. He was more or less the reason Samus went to Tallon IV, and was occasionally alluded to before he was fought at the end of the game just before entering the Impact Crater and fighting the Metroid Prime. In Prime Hunters and Prime Echoes Ridley wasn't involved, but in Prime Corruption Ridley was once again one of the frontrunners of Space Pirate operations. He led the attack on Norion, and with the takeover of the space pirates by Dark Samus, Ridley was selected to be the leader of the Space Pirate homeworld's own leviathan seed.

Metroid 2, not involved. Super Metroid, Ridley essentially undid Samus' work by running off with the baby metroid and resuming the Zebes operation where he would finally be defeated "for real this time". Except not really, because come Other M, while he didn't have a major story role in this particular game, he was the most dangerous and disagreeable thing revived through Federation cloning and driven to aggression by MB. Metroid Fusion, yeh. It was his clone corpse revived by X Parasites. Fun times.

It's true he rarely stands out in a game as the final opponent, but story-wise Ridley is almost always (up until Fusion and Other M) a pivotal boss encounter. He's easily the most recurring and most persistent enemy Samus ever has to put up with.

EDIT: Also lol at "ruining Samus" but I'm not going to have that conversation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The same can be said about the other Metroid villains like Mother Brain who just appears at the end of Metroid and SM, the fight with her is a joke to me after trying to beat Ridley 5 times before succeding, Dark Samus is just a mutated Metroid, SA-X is a parasite and Queen Metroid is just there, Ridley is the only one that gives reason for you to fight him(though after MB kills the baby I just stand there holding down the button), you don't have motivation to defeat them, but Ridley is the guy who made Samus become a bounty hunter, he is the guy who started the whole plot of SM and MP, he's the guy who gave Samus a PTSD, he is the guy who keeps cheating death just to see the despair in Samus' face.
Besides, Nintendo already acknowledged him as the main villain, which proves how important he is

D

Deleted member

Don't worry, this is not the K. Rool thread.

It is true that Ridley doesn't really stand much in the game, it is no different than other bosses, sometimes being even less memorable than other bosses in the game (like in Metroid Prime 3 and Fusion), but unlike you I wouldn't want it to be the bigger bad in a game, but I do agree Ridley should have more impact in the games and in Samus' character. There needs to be a build up for when you finally face Ridley in a game, like what happen with Ganondorf in the Zelda franchise.

An interesting way of further developing Ridley's character and making it have a bigger role in future games, would be properly showing that Ridley isn't a mindless killing machine. It is said to be an intelligent being, but in the games Ridley always act like a dumb **** and gets killed easily by Samus, often by the same tricks.

Then again, when you look at the Metroid franchise as a whole, it has a very minimalist approach. Characters don't talk in most games and when they do, it is only when necessary. Samus' personality is a mystery (what is this you are saying about Other M? never heard of this game), so it does make sense that her nemeses' personality and goal isn't shoved on our faces.

I don't know, I think Ridley should be more developed in the games, but at the same time I am afraid they could ruin the character (like they did with Samus in Other M) by trying to develop it.
Inb4 Metroid: Other R

A whole game dedicated to Ridley, his personality, and his backstory where instead of getting his mouth and throat ravaged by Samus's arm cannon he actually wins and kills leaves her as a broken mess who has to keep coming back for revenge.

The first mission is the raid on Samus's home where you have to do quick time events to kill her parents and navigate through the conversation with child Samus Fallout Style.

With Kraid and Crocomire starring as Ridley's own Adam Malkovich and Anthony Higgs. :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Ridley and Samus in Kimonos

HAVE A NICE SUMMER, SPACE PIRATES!:)

majora_787

Smash Hero

A whole game dedicated to Ridley, his personality, and his backstory where instead of getting his mouth and throat ravaged by Samus's arm cannon he actually wins and kills leaves her as a broken mess who has to keep coming back for revenge.
Pretty sure you're not thinking of an OFFICIAL Metroid game there. :troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ridley stands out more than any other Metroid villain because he's the one who appears in every game except 1-2, and he is effectively the main antagonist of the series and Samus' arch-nemesis. So yes, I do think Ridley stands out.

D

Deleted member

The first mission is the raid on Samus's home parents where you have to do quick time events to kill her parents and navigate through the conversation with child Samus Fallout Style.

With Kraid and Crocomire starring as Ridley's own Adam Malkovich and Anthony Higgs. :awesome:
Kraid: Ridley, you're not authorized to fly, it's dangerous to the anyone near you
*Crocomire falls into the lava just to be revealed he's actually alive* (pretty much his role in SM)

Also, the whole "Ridley is never the final boss" thing can be aplied to DDD, which is only the final boss in the first game, but he's still the main villain of the entire series, despite after it only being "another boss"

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeh, the main antagonist and final boss never need to be the same thing. A lot of times they are, but not all the time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeh, the main antagonist and final boss never need to be the same thing. A lot of times they are, but not all the time.
Kuja is a very notable and widely hated example of this, considering the fact that Necron came out of nowhere to be the final boss. Actually Final Fantasy does this pretty often in general.

In the case of Metroid, Ridley drives the plot in most cases, and as a whole, he's the one behind Samus' misfortunes, so he really is the main antagonist of the series even though he himself is never the final boss (though I could see him being the final boss of a future Metroid game).

Maresch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maresch
The only time when he came close to being the final boss was Metroid Zero Mission. Even then, it was Mecha Ridley, not the real Ridley (or any clone).

Even when Ridley's the final boss, he's not the final boss.

D

Deleted member

Kuja is a very notable and widely hated example of this, considering the fact that Necron came out of nowhere to be the final boss. Actually Final Fantasy does this pretty often in general.

In the case of Metroid, Ridley drives the plot in most cases, and as a whole, he's the one behind Samus' misfortunes, so he really is the main antagonist of the series even though he himself is never the final boss (though I could see him being the final boss of a future Metroid game).
I remember playing FFIV, that last boss felt so tackled off.

Top Bottom