• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Kamipost: 16920450 said:
I missed about 300 from right before the direct to right before E3. The only reason I haven't gone back is because I'm guessing those pages are filled with pure pain in word form.
Pfftttt... Casual noob.... I have read every page and never missed any I always catch up.

Get on my level
everyone bow down
RealTalk :)

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
What's interesting is that his head and some of his features look different from Other M Ridley.

I'm hoping that we're getting a new, hybridized design.
If Pac-Man is any indication, if Samurai adds a character, he does their aesthetics justice if their most recent design is contentious at best.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So how about that Ridley? He's pretty a cool guy, for a crazy, murdering, purple dragon.

Not sure if I would consider that a good thing necessarily. Kind of a mixed bag.
I would say it can be good. At least when the discussion centers around the many ways he could work as a playable character. What said strengths and weaknesses he should have as a character. And the possibilities of him getting unique mechanics. Hell, even discussing potential ways he could be similar to other characters could be interesting, and how you could avoid doing that.

If Pac-Man is any indication, if Samurai adds a character, he does their aesthetics justice if their most recent design is contentious at best.
That's actually a good point. Though it seems that whatever we did see of Ridley(boss, playable or whatever)takes from the Other M design, like Samus. If anything, it could be tweaked to look better, again, like Samus.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
People have put a lot of effort into trying to estimate Ridley's size based off of his shadow in this thread. And while the effort is admirable, the part of me that remembers my optics units in physics knows that most of it's bunk. Coloring in a shadow and using that to try and estimate area of the actual object can have a ridiculously high margin of error in certain cases. And we know that this clip was made very carefully, who knows how that was actually angled.
Just making sure that you know that my last comment was sincere and in no way sarcastic.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
To be honest, I'm actually pretty glad that we're seemingly not getting anymore popular fan requests in this game if Ridley isn't playable. Because if it were otherwise, I would be upset over the fact that Sakurai singled out Metroid as the franchise to give the cold shoulder to, while paying attention to every other fanbase. Why make him into a glorified stage hazard in spite of the numerous fans howling for Metroid rep that isn't Samus?

It might also give more reason to anticipate the next Smash game if characters like K. Rool, Isaac, Mewtwo (although I expect him to be playable), Krystal, Bandana Dee, Toad, and Dixie Kong are excluded from this roster. Just my two cents.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Ridley's not playable this time, I wouldn't hold out much hope for future playable Ridley with Sakurai still at the helm. It would've been two games with him as one of the most popular requests and two times he gets passed over. At that point it'd be time to acknowledge Sakurai for some reason just doesn't find him feasible.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If Ridley's not playable this time, I wouldn't hold out much hope for future playable Ridley with Sakurai still at the helm. It would've been two games with him as one of the most popular requests and two times he gets passed over. At that point it'd be time to acknowledge Sakurai for some reason just doesn't find him feasible.
On the flip-side, these may be the last Smash game he develops, with his arm problem and stuff. So if Ridley is not in this time, maybe Sakurai's successor might consider him...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What if Nintendo kills the series deaddy dead out of "respect" for Sakurai?

Nahhh, they wouldn't do that.

Would they?

D

Deleted member

The same could be aplied to Waluigi

But this doesn't matter, I am 100% sure he's playable this time

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Why is it that EVERY time I resize Ridley, he just gets smaller and smaller?

Also, Ridley on Battlefield (same scale, no resizing to make him fit)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Eh, I get the feeling that Sakurai doesn't give two flips about playable villains in Smash, other than Bowser and Ganondorf. King Dedede and Wolf are pretty much anti-heroes at this point, and Wario was only a bad guy for one game. The rest of Nintendo's rogue gallery seem to be just "boss characters" in Sakurai's eyes.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
What if Nintendo kills the series deaddy dead out of "respect" for Sakurai?

Nahhh, they wouldn't do that.

Would they?
Kill a series that can reliably get them millions of sales and move consoles? No they wouldn't.

Also they announced Brawl before even telling Sakurai about it, and then gave him the option to head it or they would have gave it to someone else.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Not really... Waluigi is hardly the clear cut Mario newcomer as Ridley is with Metroid, there are a handful of candidates that would make choices just as fine as Waluigi. And even if he's technically a Wario character as Smash sees it, he'll still have to get in on the merits of his appearances in the Mario series (unless he actually starts showing up in Wario games) - of which, unlike Ridley, he still has stiff competition.

Also, that 100%... optimism is one thing... but I'm sure even most Ridley supporters would agree that being 100% sure is... unrealistic. There's a good chance your hopes will be drastically dashed if you have them that high.

On the flip-side, these may be the last Smash game he develops, with his arm problem and stuff. So if Ridley is not in this time, maybe Sakurai's successor might consider him...
Possible, but that's only a hypothetical. It's even possible Sakurai still makes all the decisions next time even if he's less active in playing and testing the actual game.

Eh, I get the feeling that Sakurai doesn't give two flips about playable villains in Smash, other than Bowser and Ganondorf. King Dedede and Wolf are pretty much anti-heroes at this point, and Wario was only a bad guy for one game. The rest of Nintendo's rogue gallery seem to be just "boss characters" in Sakurai's eyes.
I'd say that's an arbitrary distinction Sakurai probably doesn't adhere to. The villain thing made no more sense than the female thing, and look how many new female characters have been added this time.

Plus as far as Smash is concerned, Wario was very much portrayed as a villain last time around.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Kill a series that can reliably get them millions of sales and move consoles? No they wouldn't.

Also they announced Brawl before even telling Sakurai about it, and then gave him the option to head it or they would have gave it to someone else.
Good to know this.

JonesGamer

Smash Cadet
Hey Ridley supporters! I'm a long time lurker who just joined and I wanted to say that Ridley is my number one request for SSB4 (wanted him since Melee) and that while I believe that the Gematsu leak WAS legitimate info, I feel that it's really outdated and all of it's predictions aren't necessarily true. Besides, even if they are that isn't likely to be the final roster. Could Sakurai seriously ignore the requests for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo while putting in Wii Fit Trainer and a Rhythm Heaven rep? I think that as Ridley supporters we will have our glory at the end of it all and it will be all the more sweet for having gone through the torment from Sakurai's trolling and all of Ridley's haters.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Hey Ridley supporters! I'm a long time lurker who just joined and I wanted to say that Ridley is my number one request for SSB4 (wanted him since Melee) and that while I believe that the Gematsu leak WAS legitimate info, I feel that it's really outdated and all of it's predictions aren't necessarily true. Besides, even if they are that isn't likely to be the final roster. Could Sakurai seriously ignore the requests for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo while putting in Wii Fit Trainer and a Rhythm Heaven rep? I think that as Ridley supporters we will have our glory at the end of it all and it will be all the more sweet for having gone through the torment from Sakurai's trolling and all of Ridley's haters.
As the newbie to the thread you must make us all sandwiches- er, I mean, welcome on board!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Waluigi and Ridley have literally nothing in common. You're better off comparing Ridley to someone else like K. Rool.

I'd say that's an arbitrary distinction Sakurai probably doesn't adhere to. The villain thing made no more sense than the female thing, and look how many new female characters have been added this time.

Plus as far as Smash is concerned, Wario was very much portrayed as a villain last time around.
Except that Sakurai has made it clear that he's happy to see so many new female characters this time around in Smash 4, during Zelda's reveal. We'll just have to see in the final roster if Sakurai has actually made an effort to putting in more villains, because from the looks of things he's never expressed such an interest so far.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Except that Sakurai has made it clear that he's happy to see so many new female characters this time around in Smash 4, during Zelda's reveal. We'll just have to see in the final roster if Sakurai has actually made an effort to putting in more villains, because from the looks of things he's never expressed such an interest so far.
He's never expressed disinterest either, and has included villainous characters in the past. The reason we don't see as many is simply because they're not the primary characters of the series - and many are in fact less than feasible, so even if the villain does become playable, it usually doesn't happen until there are like two or three previous characters from that series - which a fair amount of series aren't big enough to warrant - not because Sakurai has some anti-villain agenda.

The thing is... is that Sakurai just doesn't make the distinction of giving villains extra points towards their inclusion because they are villains... they still have the same standards to meet as all the other characters, and as female characters do as well.

D

Deleted member

Welcome @ JonesGamer JonesGamer to Ridley's Space Pirate Lounge! :)

Before you move forward it is mandatory that you do the following for the stated time as "initiation" into the Cool Ridley Club, which is the group that lives in and maintains this here Space Pirate Lounge:
Remember guys, you need to perform your mandatory 5 minutes of staring at the clip that started it all to remain in the Cool Ridley Club.

http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#
http://www.online-stopwatch.com/

I've included a link to a stopwatch so you can time yourself ^

Make sure to post a Screenshot of the Stopwatch with the GIF on-screen as proof that you watched the GIF for the full amount of time required.

Have fun! We'll see you in five minutes! :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Waluigi and Ridley have literally nothing in common. You're better off comparing Ridley to someone else like K. Rool.

Not really... Waluigi is hardly the clear cut Mario newcomer as Ridley is with Metroid, there are a handful of candidates that would make choices just as fine as Waluigi. And even if he's technically a Wario character as Smash sees it, he'll still have to get in on the merits of his appearances in the Mario series (unless he actually starts showing up in Wario games) - of which, unlike Ridley, he still has stiff competition.

Also, that 100%... optimism is one thing... but I'm sure even most Ridley supporters would agree that being 100% sure is... unrealistic. There's a good chance your hopes will be drastically dashed if you have them that high.

Possible, but that's only a hypothetical. It's even possible Sakurai still makes all the decisions next time even if he's less active in playing and testing the actual game.

I don't think you understood what I said, I meant that Waluigi was requested for both games and got kicked both times, this does not mean he's out of Smash 5. I personally don't care for Waluigi, but he's the only requested Brawl character that got kicked just like Ridley(except Ridley will be playable this time :cool: )

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Just making sure that you know that my last comment was sincere and in no way sarcastic.
I know. I was being completely serious too. There was a few weeks when the only new piece of information on this thread was that short clip of shadow. It got analyzed and over-analyzed ridiculously. I was just trying to give you a little more background information.

JonesGamer

Smash Cadet
Welcome @ JonesGamer JonesGamer to Ridley's Space Pirate Lounge! :)

Before you move forward it is mandatory that you do the following for the stated time as "initiation" into the Cool Ridley Club, which is the group that lives in and maintains this here Space Pirate Lounge:

// links I couldn't quote because I R Newb

I've included a link to a stopwatch so you can time yourself ^

Make sure to post a Screenshot of the Stopwatch with the GIF on-screen as proof that you watched the GIF for the full amount of time required.

Have fun! We'll see you in five minutes! :awesome:
Trust me, I've stared at that for WAY more than five minutes at a time before and had countless debates over what exactly is going on with it. I personally think it's a playable size Ridley who is capable of staying airborne for a long time which is very true to character. No screenshot for you! :grin:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think you understood what I said, I meant that Waluigi was requested for both games and got kicked both times, this does not mean he's out of Smash 5. I personally don't care for Waluigi, but he's the only requested Brawl character that got kicked just like Ridley(except Ridley will be playable this time :cool: )
That's not really what I was saying. Just being a popular character who doesn't get in twice is not really a huge deal... the same could be said of like Isaac and Krystal and Roy and Goroh and Bowser Jr. It's that Ridley is so astronomically popular (at least in the west) and an integral and iconic part of his series (a series that does merit another character) the only way a character of that stature could get passed up twice is if there was a conflict of feasibility with development.

Waluigi not only has competition in his series where he is not the clear candidate (unlike Ridley with Metroid), he's just not nearly at the same level as Ridley is (none of those characters listed are)... they're completely different situations where really the only similarity is popularity and omission - of which other characters can also fit under.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else going to be mad if he ends up DLC, like that would be dirty cause they know everyone would buy it.

Top Bottom