• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There is one thing that can be used in Ridley's favor: there are currently no heavyweight newcomers.

The two largest characters, Rosalina and Palutena, are both lightweights and focus more on attack power. The rest of the characters seem to be either fragile speedsters or middleweights.

Ridley can be the heavyweight character added to this game's roster, and I don't think there's anyone else who could fill in that position (other than K. Rool, but I'm pessimistic about him).

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, dramatically it would be the best time to unveil Ridley tomorrow. I mean, I'm hoping that we'll get some veteran reveals, allowing Ridley a justification to jump in.

I'm not sure if I truly believe that, but I have my faith in my scale charts to prove Ridley's in, at least. If I'm nervous about anything, its that neither veterans nor Ridley will be revealed.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Here's a theory as to what is going on

Ridley is unlockable, and the reason they don't want to show Pyrosphere at the demo is because they want to keep his status up in the air, as he is an unlockable character and unlockables aren't revealed until release

However this would mean Ridley will not be revealed at E3.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's a theory as to what is going on

Ridley is unlockable, and the reason they don't want to show Pyrosphere at the demo is because they want to keep his status up in the air, as he is an unlockable character and unlockables aren't revealed until release

However this would mean Ridley will not be revealed at E3.
Replace the word "theory" with "fact" and I agree with your sentiment.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Replace the word "theory" with "fact" and I agree with your sentiment.
Eh, it's not really a confirmed fact yet...

But I do think it's possible they could keep Ridley as a hidden unlockable. I mean, technically, that goes for any character. Perhaps they want to keep villainous characters like Ridley/Mewtwo/K. Rool (assuming they're in, of course) secret, sort of like what they did with Melee.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It'd make so much sense if Ridley isn't revealed because he's unlockable.

But, please, at least a hint, at least SOMETHING that could be even slightly suggest Ridley's playable inclusion just to calm these nerves.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm convinced at this point there will be hidden newcomers. It just feels wrong now, given that they have such fanfare and a trailer, and everything. But it also is tradition to have some unlockables, so...

We do already two Metroid characters, so perhaps he is unlockable.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

But, please, at least a hint, at least SOMETHING that could be even slightly suggest Ridley's playable inclusion just to calm these nerves.
It's going to be a long wait till September...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Knowing how Ridley's hints have been going, I'd rather not since I'm sure it'd backfire even harder then the shadow.

Morbi

Scavenger
Eh, it's not really a confirmed fact yet...

But I do think it's possible they could keep Ridley as a hidden unlockable. I mean, technically, that goes for any character. Perhaps they want to keep villainous characters like Ridley/Mewtwo/K. Rool (assuming they're in, of course) secret, sort of like what they did with Melee.
It will become confirmed shortly... do not worry, good sir. Patience is a virtue. We can wait for the words to come out of the mouth of the creative director if it makes you feel better. No rush. Shhhhhhhh. Calmness... Zen.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It will become confirmed shortly... do not worry, good sir. Patience is a virtue. We can wait for the words to come out of the mouth of the creative director if it makes you feel better. No rush. Shhhhhhhh. Calmness... Zen.
Ok, I guess?

This thread really is descending into the realms of insanity...

D

Deleted member

I expect disappointment tomorrow...
Agreed, I'm going in expecting nothing tomorrow considering it was said that today was supposed to have some "Smash News" and all we got was a rehash/reiteration on Smash Run and certain characters of which discussed information we already knew. :glare:

Don't even get me started on the "surprise" being the Invitational Players showing up on the Treehouse show, twice. :glare:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think the fact that Pyrosphere cannot be played at the demo is a good indication he's in the game. And if he's not shown off at E3, which I don't expect, then he won't be shown off for a long time.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, I dunno, reveal Kraid as the Pyrosphere boss or something weeks before the 3DS release, I dunno! Something that makes the wait a bit less tedious, anything!

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I kinda doubt Ridley's a secret unlockable character like Captain Falcon and Ness.

Why? Well, I thought the point of making characters unlockable was to try keeping them secret, as futile as it may be.

And teasing a shadow kinda nullifies the "secret" part. And unless Pyrosphere...is...unlockable...

Oh god, they ARE playing the long con to the end.

(I do agree that Ridley's likely unlockable, though. Bad guy cred and all that.)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I dunno, reveal Kraid as the Pyrosphere boss or something weeks before the 3DS release, I dunno! Something that makes the wait a bit less tedious, anything!
I wouldn't get my hopes up for such an obvious unofficial confirmation like that.

Morbi

Scavenger
I kinda doubt Ridley's a secret unlockable character like Captain Falcon and Ness.

Why? Well, I thought the point of making characters unlockable was to try keeping them secret, as futile as it may be.

And teasing a shadow kinda nullifies the "secret" part. And unless Pyrosphere...is...unlockable...

Oh god, they ARE playing the long con to the end.

(I do agree that Ridley's likely unlockable, though. Bad guy cred and all that.)
Of course, Sakurai already attenuated the "secret" aspect of his inclusion by actually showing him to us. But I still believe that he will be saved for a later date. That might be post-launch, it may not be.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
But assuming that Ridley really is in the game, WHY NOT SHOW HIM AT E3 AND HELP GET HYPE AND BOOST SALES!?

What would Sakurai be planning? Why put off a Ridley reveal and tease him for this long?
I mean, yeah, he could be unlockable, but I don't see that as an excuse.

---

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Of course, Sakurai already attenuated the "secret" aspect of his inclusion by actually showing him to us. But I still believe that he will be saved for a later date. That might be post-launch, it may not be.
The "secret" might come from Sakurai thinking we all believe Ridley is cut because of the Direct.

Morbi

Scavenger
But if Ridley really is in the game, WHY NOT SHOW HIM AT E3 AND HELP GET HYPE AND BOOST SALES!?

What would Sakurai be planning? Why put off a Ridley reveal and tease him for this long?
I mean, yeah, he could be unlockable, but I don't see that as an excuse.

---
I suppose Sakurai (erroneously) believes that Mii and Palutena would do that better than Ridley.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If there's one more character to be shown off at E3, it's obviously going to be Mewtwo. Ridley may be very popular, but Mewtwo...well, he's probably more requested than Mega Man now.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
If there's one more character to be shown off at E3, it's obviously going to be Mewtwo. Ridley may be very popular, but Mewtwo...well, he's probably more requested than Mega Man now.
Why not a villain's trailer?

It seems unlikely, but It would hype.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why not a villain's trailer?

It seems unlikely, but It would hype.
I have considered the possibility of a dual Mewtwo and then Ridley reveal. It would add more substance to the trailer (as there isn't much they can do regarding Ridley in the trailer that wouldn't be a dead giveaway)

But, I will believe it when I see it. Of course, the last time I said that is when someone told me Midna was in Hyrule Warriors.

Morbi

Scavenger
You might not believe me at first; I would not believe myself either, to be perfectly honest. However, I actually have insider information on when Ridley will be confirmed. This is the first time it has ever happened to me. If you are curious about him, I can relentlessly give away his personal details. I do not care about him. I do not know why he trusted me, a Ridley fan with this information. My source did not specify whether or not Ridley was a playable character. Albeit, I believe that given he is going to be definitively revealed at a specific date that he is playable. I do not want to spoil this actually as I find myself to be utterly incompetent. His reveal is such an obvious and overt release date, you are going to face-palm once you discover it unless you have already subconsciously discerned the date.

Do not click the collapse tab if you do not want to be spoiled. Ridley's reveal is very special and if you do not want to know when it is, I do not want to ruin any enthusiasm that you may have had. I will tell you it is coming WAY sooner than you think, so do not feel obligated to click.

Please do not be a troll and ruin the experience for everyone else by revealing the information I am about to disclose. Thank you for understanding.

Last warning. If you have any questions, email the source. I do not even know if he is reliable, but he sent me screenshots.

June 13th, 2014

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
With all due respect, exactly at what point do trolls get perma banned instead of temp? There is no point into giving the guy temp bans, he isnt going to behave, he didnt join the boards to have a decent exchange, this isnt going to change with a few days out.
It's a complicated system. Such bans are only used in worst case scenarios , but there are some actions that we can take that we are currently in discussion about (Ex. Room Bans/Permanent Infractions). For now just report trolls and then promptly ignore them.
Just wanted to touch base on this, though such questions/posts (and the one asking for the link to the signature icon thread) are better left to PMs. Permabans are not thrown around lightly, and as --- mentioned, there are other procedures to adhere to in special cases. What I can let you know is that if the continued behavior/rule-breaking continues, infractions increase in severity for future offenses, eventually resulting the aforementioned perma or roomban.

My only advice is that if anything like this happens (which it will, given that it's the Ridley thread), you lot not feel the need to get involved, as spamming/flaming even in "defense" is an offense that is only making the situation worse. Report anything you feel is problematic (and that goes for all the regulars, as discussion tends to get derailed fast) and include whatever concerns you have there, or make a thread in Forum Support and we'll consider/deal with the problem as we see fit.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You might not believe me at first; I would not believe myself either, to be perfectly honest. However, I actually have insider information on when Ridley will be confirmed. This is the first time it has ever happened to me. If you are curious about him, I can relentlessly give away his personal details. I do not care about him. I do not know why he trusted me, a Ridley fan with this information. My source did not specify whether or not Ridley was a playable character. Albeit, I believe that given he is going to be definitively revealed at a specific date that he is playable. I do not want to spoil this actually as I find myself utterly incompetent. His reveal is such an obvious and overt release date, you are going to face-palm once you discover it unless you have already subconsciously discerned the date.

Do not click the collapse tab if you do not want to be spoiled. Ridley's reveal is very special and if you do not want to know when it is, I do not want to ruin any enthusiasm that you may have had. I will tell you it is coming WAY sooner than you think, so do not feel obligated to click.

Please do not be a troll and ruin the experience for everyone else by revealing the information I am about to disclose. Thank you for understanding.

Last warning. If you have any questions, email the source. I do not even know if he is reliable, but he sent me screenshots.

June 13th, 2014
Hm.

Not sure whether to trust your source, but it does seems promising/likely.

What the hell, I'll believe it. Worst-case scenario, August Nintendo Direct.

Top Bottom