• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Drew these up:

I think I'm getting attached to the design...
The one issue I have with Ridley standing straight up on the ground is that, given how tall his model naturally is, his body would start poking through the platforms on stages like Battlefield, Smashville, etc. For playability's sake there would be no problem, but from an aesthetic viewpoint that would be undesirable I would think.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The one issue I have with Ridley standing straight up on the ground is that, given how tall his model naturally is, his body would start poking through the platforms on stages like Battlefield, Smashville, etc. For playability's sake there would be no problem, but from an aesthetic viewpoint that would be undesirable I would think.
I thought Bowser already did that?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Does he really? Well, that shows how good of a memory I have, I feel silly now. :ohwell:
Yeah, looking at the developer direct, Bowser definitely clips through the platforms.

I guess it isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing, but in a frantic game like Smash Bros where everything is constantly moving through platforms and other characters, I don't think it's a big issue.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, looking at the developer direct, Bowser definitely clips through the platforms.

I guess it isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing, but in a frantic game like Smash Bros where everything is constantly moving through platforms and other characters, I don't think it's a big issue.
Yeah I went back to that footage and I see it now too. I suppose the only thing I could've been thinking is that Ridley's head-poking would've been even more extreme than that to the point that his head and half his neck would be poking through the platform (like one of those head-on-a-platter gags), which I would find funny, weird, and silly all at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

No-one's really going to notice or care after their first time they do. People only care about the fight.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
G2A571_0D87AB8D56746_000.gif

"Ah...life is good..."

Good thing that the nightmare fuel Ridley/Derpley ended...but it was funny still xD

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah I went back to that footage and I see it now too. I suppose the only thing I could've been thinking is that Ridley's head-poking would've been even more extreme than that to the point that his head and half his neck would be poking through the platform (like one of those head-on-a-platter gags), which I would find funny, weird, and silly all at the same time.
Well, Smash is a funny, weird, and silly place.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
People have been suggesting Black Ridley as a move or Final Smash, but...

How about as an alternate costume? Or better yet, a unique shield like Yoshi?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Hey, Hai, had to paint those pics I showed earlier...I am not a great painter...but I tried. |3

View attachment 14941
These are painted by hand...and by God is it painful to do. |3
Well, you handle paint way better than me...Always when I use paint to color my drawings it turns into a complete disaster, and I don't know what I'm going to do the day when I dare to draw Ridley, Meta and Omega on my wall...and I think now I also want to ad my catrín Ridley....and it has one of the most dreaded colors....black...

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

I thought I should make this statement clear...but first, some awesome "Objection" music
Smash Bros series does not follow Game Canon
1) Olimar and Kirby are puny characters yet are around Mario's size in Smash Bros

Even Olimar is the size of a coin, yet he is bigger than Kirby in Smash Bros.
2) R.O.B can also be found in the Pikmin game, and as you all know, R.O.B's head is WAY LARGER than Olimar

Yet this happens in Smash Bros

3) According to Zelda Wiki, Ganondorf is protected by the Triforce of Power and can only be defeated by the Master Sword and Enchanted Arrows (Silver in the Original NES and Light in future games)
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Ganondorf
But this is not true in Smash Bros. ANYONE can harm the Evil King, Ganondorf.

Sakurai even says it outright!

Pic of the day:
".......The Smash Bros SERIES does not always stay true to scale"

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
People have been suggesting Black Ridley as a move or Final Smash, but...

How about as an alternate costume? Or better yet, a unique shield like Yoshi?
With how eggs have always been Yoshi's gimmick it's not much surprise he would have that as a shield unique to him, but what do you think Ridley would have or use as a unique shield exactly?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Pic of the day. Characters that have heavy damage slowly start to emit steam. When your opponent starts to get nice and smoky, give 'em a solid attack!

Say, can you imagine Ridley being hot and smoky like that?

inb4commentssuggestingthatRidleydidit

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What are those things under the platforms?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Pokey thingies.

I have no idea. They could possibly be some sort of jets that keep the platforms aloft. Or they are just aesthetic.
Either aesthetic or anti-gravity thingies. Don't forget, this IS a sci-fi futuristic setting. Anti-gravity platform thingies aren't exactly outside the realm of belief.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Pic of the day. Characters that have heavy damage slowly start to emit steam. When your opponent starts to get nice and smoky, give 'em a solid attack!

Does that hole change places or am I still half asleep?

Also Ridley's not in the pic of the day but you can bet your sweet butt it'll be steamy addition once he is

gitryan

Smash Rookie
Just a random and probably pointless thing to point out, but there are only 2 purple backgrounds on the official character profiles.
Saving some purple love for Ridley maybe? It's just a little something that's keeping my inner-hype fuelled. ^.^
(Mewtwo and Krystal could be purple too if they're in)

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
Does that hole change places or am I still half asleep?

Also Ridley's not in the pic of the day but you can bet your sweet butt it'll be steamy addition once he is

The stage moves up and down somehow. My guess was that it's caused by something big.... >.>

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

I think I can see Ridley... But anyway, doesn't this picture look like Sakurai paused and turned towards the back? Sheik just.. standing like that got me thinking, what's Sakurai hiding?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Looking through the Metroid wiki, I noticed this bit, it relates to Ridley's personality:

While Ridley is commonly misinterpreted by players as a destructive beast, the official Metroid manga delved a great deal deeper into the persona of the Space Pirate General. Ridley first appeared in chapter one, where his violent disposition and love of death and destruction are made apparent when he orders his entire legion of Space Pirates to annihilate the peaceful inhabitants of K2-L as he looked on. His ability for cruelty is further made concrete in the manga, when he attempts to kill a small girl who tries to befriend him; killing her mother while trying to shield the child. He, like many of his Space Pirate brethren, also believes in the superiority of certain races over others, counting himself among the privileged elite species and seeing the "lower" races as something only to exterminate.

Despite these bloodthirsty tendencies, Ridley has shown to be an intelligent and competent battle tactician, orchestrating a great many successful battles, as well as proving a serious threat on his own. Interestingly, his traits as a competent leader seem to even be on a genetic level, as his clone, who was raised without any education (making him feral), was seemingly leading various creatures into attacking Adam Malkovich's squad while he handled Samus alone in his adolescent form. However, his quick temper and his arrogant belief that nothing can defeat him often undermines these qualities, leading to a great many defeats for him as well.

Ridley also seems to grudgingly show respect to those that are natural at commanding others, such as when Gray Voice is ordering the Pirate Troops to their battle stations; Ridley, taken aback, smirks at being told by Gray Voice to attend to his job and sarcastically addresses him as "Sir Military Commander" when he flies off.
The manga seems to give a better idea about him, but then I noticed this:

He has also frequently displayed a very sadistic sense of humor, evidenced by his various comments against Samus upon their first meeting since K2-L. Ridley even goes so far as to taunt her by saying that he may have eaten and incorporated the cells of her mother's corpse into his body and sardonically wonders what part her cells reside in. He then proceeds to bring his foot down on Samus, angrily saying "At least pay your respects!"; referring to her dead mother, showing just how much joy he takes in the suffering of others. This sadism can also be seen in Other M, as the cloned Ridley appears to toy with Samus before being interrupted by Anthony.
Wow... That's dark... That's probably Nintendo's darkest back story for a franchise that I've seen... O_o

Maybe it was damage perhaps caused by lava, so conveniently hidden out of sight?

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Looking through the Metroid wiki, I noticed this bit, it relates to Ridley's personality:

The manga seems to give a better idea about him, but then I noticed this:

Wow... That's dark... That's probably Nintendo's darkest back story for a franchise that I've seen... O_o

Maybe it was damage perhaps caused by lava, so conveniently hidden out of sight?
You know, it'd be great if we got a Metroid game where Ridley actually talked and made sadistic jokes.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You know, it'd be great if we got a Metroid game where Ridley actually talked and made sadistic jokes.
Wait...

Samus's backstory involves her parents getting killed and her honing her body and mind to perfection.

Ridley is a sadistic killer with a bad sense of humor.

Samus is Batman and Ridley's The Joker!

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice

I thought I should make this statement clear...but first, some awesome "Objection" music
Smash Bros series does not follow Game Canon
1) Olimar and Kirby are puny characters yet are around Mario's size in Smash Bros

Even Olimar is the size of a coin, yet he is bigger than Kirby in Smash Bros.
2) R.O.B can also be found in the Pikmin game, and as you all know, R.O.B's head is WAY LARGER than Olimar

Yet this happens in Smash Bros

3) According to Zelda Wiki, Ganondorf is protected by the Triforce of Power and can only be defeated by the Master Sword and Enchanted Arrows (Silver in the Original NES and Light in future games)
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Ganondorf
But this is not true in Smash Bros. ANYONE can harm the Evil King, Ganondorf.

Sakurai even says it outright!

Pic of the day:
".......The Smash Bros SERIES does not always stay true to scale"
Nice organization overall but I have a problem with 1 of those statements.

He said Series, he never said characters, who knows, he might be implying the pups in the background.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The next game should have a revived Ridley. Cloned body and his mind downloaded into his brain.

He clones Metroids and unleashes them on a planet to lure Samus.

Ridley is mostly unseen and only speaks in his language (a series of clicks, hisses, and intelligent sounding guttural noises) when he communicates.

Throughout the game, he terrorizes Samus such as one scene where he reveals her parents (clones) to her only to devour them in front of our hero.

At the last meeting, he strains his vocal cords to talk in English to give his final eulogy to Samus before engaging her in combat.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Okay, this has nothing to do with Ridley or the idea that the Pyrosphere is a big dunk tank, but...

What's that next to Dark Samus's shoulder?

Forgive me if it's been discussed.

EDIT: It's just a platform bit. Never mind.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Mother series plot is darker than Ridley's backstory. But yeah, Ridley isn't exactly full of rainbows. lol

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Nice organization overall but I have a problem with 1 of those statements.

He said Series, he never said characters, who knows, he might be implying the pups in the background.
SMASH BROS series. There's no other way to construe that statement without being wrong. Everything in the game, if not originally from Smash Bros. series, is at least playing a role within each respective Smash game. Thus they are confined to the rules and systems of the Smash Bros. series and not the series they originate from.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
The next game should have a revived Ridley. Cloned body and his mind downloaded into his brain.

He clones Metroids and unleashes them on a planet to lure Samus.

Ridley is mostly unseen and only speaks in his language (a series of clicks, hisses, and intelligent sounding guttural noises) when he communicates.

Throughout the game, he terrorizes Samus such as one scene where he reveals her parents (clones) to her only to devour them in front of our hero.

At the last meeting, he strains his vocal cords to talk in English to give his final eulogy to Samus before engaging her in combat.
I like all of this except the cloned parents bit. That, I feel, is taking it too far. Otherwise, I think that we should get a new Metroid game where Ridley is actually the main villain as opposed to a glorified lacky.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I like all of this except the cloned parents bit. That, I feel, is taking it too far. Otherwise, I think that we should get a new Metroid game where Ridley is actually the main villain as opposed to a glorified lacky.
They had a game like that. It was called Other M.

Admittedly, RIdley wasn't so much a main villain so much as a big villain that got overshadowed by the more dangerous Mother Brain, but still! But anyhow, the only other game that comes close to giving Ridley a main antagonist role is Metroid Prime.

Besides, Ridley being a glorified lackey is appropriate. After all, Samus IS a bounty hunter, I.E. under someone's employ with free reign to carry out their job however she wants, and Ridley is typically "employed" by Mother Brain, Dark Samus, the X, to cause mayhem and murder.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
They had a game like that. It was called Other M.

Admittedly, RIdley wasn't so much a main villain so much as a big villain that got overshadowed by the more dangerous Mother Brain, but still! But anyhow, the only other game that comes close to giving Ridley a main antagonist role is Metroid Prime.

Besides, Ridley being a glorified lackey is appropriate. After all, Samus IS a bounty hunter, I.E. under someone's employ with free reign to carry out their job however she wants, and Ridley is typically "employed" by Mother Brain, Dark Samus, the X, to cause mayhem and murder.
I suppose you're right, but he's always one-upped like you said. In the Prime series, you hade the Metroid Prime and Dark Samus. In Other M, you had M.B. I'd like to see one where Ridley is truly the main antagonist instead of just a plot point and landmark boss battle. I mean, Ridley is regarded as Samus' rival, like Link&Ganon, Mario&Bowser, etc., but has he ever been the penultimate boss in a Metroid game?

Top Bottom