• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The reason I wanted Ridley to be playable is to...play with him.
Now I just want him in because I want to see the reactions of Anti-Ridley dudes.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Fellow Ridley fans, I have a question for you.

If you could only choose between a New Metroid Game for 3DS (your choice of 2D or 3D) or playable Ridley in SSB4, which one would you choose?

You cannot have both.
Ridley. There are a lot of Metroid games already and as much as I would love a new one, I'd take playable Ridley over it.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Fellow Ridley fans, I have a question for you.

If you could only choose between a New Metroid Game for 3DS (your choice of 2D or 3D) or playable Ridley in SSB4, which one would you choose?

You cannot have both.
New Metroid Game starring RIdley

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Imma go with I'd prefer Ridley playable.

Because I want a new metroid for the Wii-U, not the 3DS.

Also because Smash will last longer.

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
New Metroid Game starring RIdley
It would certainly have to be 3D. A 2D Metroid with a Ridley as the star would not work out very well. .-.

Personally I would choose Ridley in Smash. I just feel as if him being in smash would have a really big impact. I mean sure a new Metroid would be crazy (we're probably getting one anyways) but getting him in smash would be like making history. Cause Smash is like a big Nintendo history book....thing...:colorful:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
To the so called "Ridley supports" allow me to educate you. I don't mean to sound rude but you would have to be complete hypocrites to choose a new Metroid title over Playable Ridley, that comes with a bonus - finally shouting up the Ridley haters/Toobigots and seeing their reactions along with their tears. You might as well don't call your self a Ridley supporter if you choose a new Metroid. Use your brain!

Its not worst than picking your favorite child. Its easy!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ridley in Smash, in a heartbeat. Even if I were a Metroid fan, which I'm not, only the most impatient and impulsive of people would throw away a once-in-a-lifetime playable spot in Smash for Ridley just to get a game that could be made at any old time, on any old system. This is beyond a no-brainer.

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
To the so called "Ridley supports" allow me to educate you. I don't mean to sound rude but you would have to be complete hypocrites to choose a new Metroid title over Playable Ridley, that comes with a bonus - finally shouting up the Ridley haters/Toobigots and seeing their reactions along with their tears. You might as well don't call your self a Ridley supporter if you choose a new Metroid. Use your brain!

Its not worst than picking your favorite child. Its easy!
Well i mean the way things are going i feel like we might get both in the end so....yeah....

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Im a Metroid fan, but the idea of seeing a new entry in the series that follows the brand new persona that Sakamoto created for Samus, and the general direction the games have been following for a while, doesn't really excite me too much. The fact that Ridley is mostly based of that game also annoys me a little, but I'll take it.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Well in 2 weeks the war of ridley for ssb4 will end till smash 5.

So i hope ridley does bbecome playable for smash 4.

Which is likely.
Unfortunately, war, war never changes...:smirk:

Ahem, anyways e3 should prove to be the biggest infodump of the year. Ridley's status should be confirmed for something, but then again, Sakurai.

In any event, the release of Sm4sh will give us all the answers we need on this topic.

At this point, the lack of confirmation is maddening.:crazy:

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I have a What If scenario for you Ridley fans. I'm not sure if it's been brought up before but there's like 700+ pages here and I ain't readin all of them.

What if Sakurai straight up said, "Yes, we were 100% onboard with having Ridley be playable, and he wasn't going to be the *******ized shrunken down version. He was going to be bigger than Bowser but still playable. But it came to our attention that he was too big for the 3DS to handle so due to the 3DS limitations and both versions needing the same roster, even though the Wii U could handle him just fine, we decided to cut Ridley from the roster."

If that were the case, how pissed off would you guys be?
Really Pissed off because Charizard can be handled just fine on the 3DS

majora_787

Smash Hero
"Too big for the 3DS to handle" is some crap. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. You fight monsters legitimately the size of small islands. And yet a character twice Samus' height at most is "way too big for the 3DS to handle"? Riiiight.

EDIT: That's twelve feet tall. Ish. Anyone who plays Monster Hunter knows twelve feet tall is usually the "easy" stuff.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
"Too big for the 3DS to handle" is some crap. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. You fight monsters legitimately the size of small islands. And yet a character twice Samus' height at most is "way too big for the 3DS to handle"? Riiiight.
Well, you see, Ridley's massiveness is so awesomely, legendarily large, that though his model itself isn't that big, it still takes up half of the 3DS cartridge.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have no idea how this meme happened sometimes, considering he's not generally much bigger than Ganondorf or Bowser tend to be in their own games.

EDIT: I looked it up. Ridley in Monster Hunter would be "medium". That is to say, there are three tiers of "big" that are much bigger than him. And most of them aren't elder dragons, so you could fight multitudes of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no idea how this meme happened sometimes, considering he's not generally much bigger than Ganondorf or Bowser tend to be in their own games.
I imagine it is simply a product of the desperation some people have because they for some inexplicable reason don't want Ridley included in the game.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

EDIT: I looked it up. Ridley in Monster Hunter would be "medium". That is to say, there are three tiers of "big" that are much bigger than him. And most of them aren't elder dragons, so you could fight multitudes of them.
I myself don't even know why some people take it seriously.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Unlike Bowser or Ganondorf, Ridley hasn't had the luxury of being downsized for sports spinoffs or having a humanoid form.

Plus, Ridley's rather lanky (unlike Bowser or Pig Ganon's rotund forms), so that could add to the prejudice if they think he would look fragile when downgraded.

Dammit. Now I want to see Metroid Kart be a real thing...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Unlike Bowser or Ganondorf, Ridley hasn't had the luxury of being downsized for sports spinoffs or having a humanoid form.

Plus, Ridley's rather lanky (unlike Bowser or Pig Ganon's rotund forms), so that could add to the prejudice if they think he would look fragile when downgraded.

Dammit. Now I want to see Metroid Kart be a real thing...
That's the operative issue. They get downsized for playable appearances in spinoff games. And because they get downsized for playable appearances in spinoff games, Ridley...can't be downsized for a playable appearance in a spinoff game? Not to mention, even Ganondorf as a human form is gigantic. I would estimate Link at five-and-some feet tall, and yet there's Ganondorf, standing at what must be well over seven feet. In his *human form*.

And really, "lanky forms" and "looking fragile" don't even matter now that we have Roidley, who is beefier and much closer to a humanoid form. He's more comparable to Donkey Kong now than he is to say, Mewtwo or something in shape.

Are we chalking it up to people being dumb?

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I'd choose Ridley in a heartbeat. I wouldn't wait another console generation just for another shot at him being playable if I could have it now.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's the operative issue. They get downsized for playable appearances in spinoff games. And because they get downsized for playable appearances in spinoff games, Ridley...can't be downsized for a playable appearance in a spinoff game? Not to mention, even Ganondorf as a human form is gigantic. I would estimate Link at five-and-some feet tall, and yet there's Ganondorf, standing at what must be well over seven feet. In his *human form*.

And really, "lanky forms" and "looking fragile" don't even matter now that we have Roidley, who is beefier and much closer to a humanoid form. He's more comparable to Donkey Kong now than he is to say, Mewtwo or something in shape.

Are we chalking it up to people being dumb?
shrug

I'm just saying that's what they think.

If Smash Bros. was canon, MAYBE I would have an issue with size, but it seems hypocritical that the same people that think that the size issue is moot because everyone's a trophy decides to single Ridley out for his size.

Though I'm not sure many people would be willing to play as Roidley. But then again, Sakurai has had a lot of time to redesign him to be a lot more pleasing visually.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If people really decided they don't want Ridley in the game anymore because of his Other M design, then they smell funny and should feel bad.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Rdley can't become playable for smash 4, [On Miiverse, Masahiro Sakurai provided a caption when revealing the stage, which reads "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…" Because of this, some speculated that Ridleywould appear as a stage hazard.]

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Rdley can't become playable for smash 4, [On Miiverse, Masahiro Sakurai provided a caption when revealing the stage, which reads "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…" Because of this, some speculated that Ridleywould appear as a stage hazard.]
- A playable character
- A stage hazard
- An assist trophy
- A background cameo

What do all of these things have in common? I'll wait.

A: They can all appear on the Pyrosphere. That post literally means nothing other than "Someone who may or may not be Ridley may or may not be in one or both versions of the game."

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Except technically, Goyagma and Vorash are both 'enemies from Samus's past' that appear on Pyrosphere and, technically, could appear at any second.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The japanese text I believe referred to them as a "trauma" which implies Ridley, but there is a reason we threw this miiverse post out as evidence of anything. It literally doesn't say anything other than "Ridley is in the game and can appear on the Pyrosphere" at the very most.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Except technically, Goyagma and Vorash are both 'enemies from Samus's past' that appear on Pyrosphere and, technically, could appear at any second.
The original text was along the lines of "Samus's trauma", pretty blatantly pointing to Ridley.

Doesn't matter though, as "appearing at any second" could happen on any stage.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
The japanese text I believe referred to them as a "trauma" which implies Ridley, but there is a reason we threw this miiverse post out as evidence of anything. It literally doesn't say anything other than "Ridley is in the game and can appear on the Pyrosphere" at the very most.
The original text was along the lines of "Samus's trauma", pretty blatantly pointing to Ridley.

Doesn't matter though, as "appearing at any second" could happen on any stage.

I dunno, Vorash would be pretty traumatizing. Not a whole lot more terrifying than being chased by something that wants to eat you whole, but I digress.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Vorash WAS traumatizing. I dunno if I'm the only one, but it seemed like the action commands were really selective on how well they would respond.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wow, way to provide information that we already knew nine months ago, kid...

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I think that leaker wanted to say Other M Ridley isn't the worst :chuckle:
Seriously ... if that is the real model then toobigots are going to say "we were right! he looks weird gnagnagnagna"

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think that leaker wanted to say Other M Ridley isn't the worst :chuckle:
Seriously ... if that is the real model then toobigots are going to say "we were right! he looks weird gnagnagnagna"
At the very least, I just want Concept Artley.

See, this guy LOOKS like a cunning God of Death rather than a steroid-ridden duck.

D

Deleted member

This has been brought up before, but with regards to the stage hazards of Pyrosphere, we know from the footage that the Lava that is flowing into the stage is sealed off in the stage's FD form while the holes in the wall that were made by Ridley in Other M remain unchanged. If Ridley was truly the stage hazard/boss for this stage, wouldn't these holes be sealed when changing to FD mode since they would logically be the entrance points for Ridley when he comes to wreak havoc on the stage as a boss? (while the lava would continue flowing simply as a background detail?)

majora_787

Smash Hero
At the very least, I just want Concept Artley.

See, this guy LOOKS like a cunning God of Death rather than a steroid-ridden duck.
I've said this before, I think the issue with Other M was how the modeling and texture work of the designs were handled. The designs themselves are really cool.

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Who's to say that isn't Vorash or someone else other than Ridley? You should watch The Ridley Debate by Relax Alax if you really are doubtful.

Top Bottom