• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Unless Sakurai personally writes a letter to each and every one of us saying Ridley is a hazard people will still be like "well until he says something..."

ART OF SAYING WITHOUT SAYING BRO BE LIKE WATER MY FRIEND OR SOMETHING -- BRUCE LEE CIRCA GO TO SCHOOL.
You're just jealous because Sakurai writes me letters.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think Ridley was up there longer than Pit's full Up+B.
Only a little bit longer, that doesn`t says much.
Maybe Sakurai is looking out for us after all. Imagine after all the hate, all the jeering, all the hurt, WE have the final, most satisfying laugh ever.

That or he's a sadistic monster who loves to watch certain parts of the fanbase suffer in agony.
Some men just want to watch the world BURN. Ridley is one of them.
You're just jealous because Sakurai writes me letters.
Pff. He comes to my house by himself everyday and we play poker! And he revealed to me that Ridley is playable during one of our games/matches.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We don't know, but the fact that he's flying definitely doesn't confirm or even lend credence to him being a stage hazard.
But it certainly doesn't help our cause.

The way that shadow is flying... it just doesn't look good.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
There is one detail in the Direct that does make it very likely he is a stage hazard. That of course is the fact that he can fly. No Smash character has ever been able to fly, and it looks like Ridley is very high off the ground. It doesn't matter how big he is, he's flying.
Barely he just kinda glided and hovered like Peach. He didn't gain altitude at all.

If he was flying up and down and all around doing loop de loops and **** then I'd agree. Plus you would think a character known for flying around would be alittle good at it no? You expect him to play like Charizard or something? C'mon now....

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

This sucks majorly but I've only got an ipod to work with so bluh
I'm not one for making comics so the rest of it was basically Ridley announcing to his crew that they should remember to be courteous because there's now a Lady on board, he would then blow up a doorway, skidding out with a Plasma Gun to face a large orange Space Dragon thing.
Woo.
Wow I'm totally not quoting my own stuff to get more people to see it, it's totally lame why would i do that

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Barely he just kinda glided and hovered like Peach. He didn't gain altitude at all.

If he was flying up and down and all around doing loop de loops and **** then I'd agree. Plus you would think a character known for flying around would be alittle good at it no? You expect him to play like Charizard or something? C'mon now....
He was up there for more than 9 seconds, and we didn't see him fall.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
He was up there for more than 9 seconds, and we didn't see him fall.
And your point? Let me guess too overpowered? Flying at a below average speed at only 1 altitude like Peach really doesn't sound crazy. He will have weaknesses to make up for it like a huge hurtbox and most likely be sluggish on the ground. Sakurai made a point to give advantages and disadvantages. Sakurai really shows off advantages during newcomer trailers making everyone feel OP. I remember everyone saying Little Mac OP!, Rosalina OP!, Mega Man OP! You get the idea.

So yeah these newcomers are pretty extravagant compared to the older characters. So who cares if Ridley can fly in a straight line for a long time. Rosalina can just throw her Luma up at him and stay away from him. lol

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well im sure he was the same height threw the thing 95% of the time

(The jump animation a split second before the fade)

(And unless my eyes were deceiving me when the shadow entered it might have ben falling slightly at thr begining)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I started from where you first see his shadow to after it fades out. It's at the same altitude for the whole time.
Judging by how close the camera is to the floor, it's actually possible that the Pyrosphere we're looking at is not the FD version of Pyrosphere. If you look at the area the camera is looking at, the shadows of the platforms would, in theory, be just out of view.

The point is, it's perfectly reasonable to assume Ridley flew over to the platform, took a quick pitstop offscreen, and then flew back to give the impression that he was flying for a stupidly long period of time at the same altitude.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Judging by how close the camera is to the floor, it's actually possible that the Pyrosphere we're looking at is not the FD version of Pyrosphere. If you look at the area the camera is looking at, the shadows of the platforms would, in theory, be just out of view.

The point is, it's perfectly reasonable to assume Ridley flew over to the platform, took a quick pitstop offscreen, and then flew back to give the impression that he was flying for a stupidly long period of time at the same altitude.
Do you think Sakurai would REALLY do that?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh boy, we've got one last whole month to repeat the same arguments to ourselves!

Hurray for redundancy! :happysheep:
And that's only if Ridley is actually shown off. Either as a fighter or a boss. Still, I'm holding out some hope. But it would be smart to not get your hopes too high I suppose. I'd rather have a positive outlook though.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
After his little stunt with Zero Suit Samus, I think he'll do whatever he wants to with this game.
You mean letting us believe she wasn't playable for ONE WHOLE SECOND? Yep, that completely proved that Sakurai is truly the master of deception who will go through any means necessary to subvert fan expectations only to end up surprising them later.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You mean letting us believe she wasn't playable for ONE WHOLE SECOND? Yep, that completely proved that Sakurai is truly the master of deception who will go through any means necessary to subvert fan expectations only to end up surprising them later.
Oh that Sakurai. *Cue theme song and freeze frame*

Though I do think there's a chance he might be pulling our legs when it comes to certain characters. Ridley included.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, there's also the Spirit Tracks stage to lead us to believe Toon Link was disconfirmed...

A Smash Bros. themed boxing ring stage to dull Little Mac's chances...

That Phosphora trophy stunt he pulled...

Using Pseudo-Palutena in the "Who's that trophy?" section...

Oh yeah, and setting up Greninja to resemble a Mewtwo reveal.

And are you seriously trying to say Saks is not a total tease? Anyone who says Sakurai is a serious developer who has never, EVER teased a character only to show them later is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So if Ridley was playable, and he had an alternate costume, like Wario, what would you want? I'd take Meta Ridley over the rest of them. I sort of see that design as the best of the bunch. Can't really say why though. I guess it just looks really cool to me.

Would some of you prefer using Metroid 1 Ridley? Or maybe his Prime 3 design?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And your point? Let me guess too overpowered? Flying at a below average speed at only 1 altitude like Peach really doesn't sound crazy. He will have weaknesses to make up for it like a huge hurtbox and most likely be sluggish on the ground. Sakurai made a point to give advantages and disadvantages. Sakurai really shows off advantages during newcomer trailers making everyone feel OP. I remember everyone saying Little Mac OP!, Rosalina OP!, Mega Man OP! You get the idea.

So yeah these newcomers are pretty extravagant compared to the older characters. So who cares if Ridley can fly in a straight line for a long time. Rosalina can just throw her Luma up at him and stay away from him. lol
I'm starting to think you're Sakurai with all this speculation you got and the incredible high hope you have compared to all of us here :confused:...... :ohwell: I might be overthinking

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So if Ridley was playable, and he had an alternate costume, like Wario, what would you want? I'd take Meta Ridley over the rest of them. I sort of see that design as the best of the bunch. Can't really say why though. I guess it just looks really cool to me.

A Zero Mission Ridley with bigger wings would be beast.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Classic Ridley since its already more than obvious that they used Roidley-like/Roidley`s design for him in this game (for now, its impossible to say exactly is he playable or not of course). All of his Prime designs had giant wings, so, they won`t fit. Especially Meta Ridleys.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Classic Ridley since its already more than obvious that they used Roidley-like/Roidley`s design for him in this game (for now, its impossible to say exactly is he playable or not of course). All of his Prime designs had giant wings, so, they won`t fit. Especially Meta Ridleys.
I guess. But if Ridley is playable, he wings could just get re-sized. No matter what costume he wears, or at least that should be the case. Maybe it could be like the Scarlet Spider or Cyber Akuma in MVC3, those costumes are decently bulkier, like Akuma's wings that pop up occasionally. I'm probably over thinking this a little bit though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I guess. But if Ridley is playable, he wings could just get re-sized. No matter what costume he wears, or at least that should be the case. Maybe it could be like the Scarlet Spider or Cyber Akuma in MVC3, those costumes are decently bulkier, like Akuma's wings that pop up occasionally. I'm probably over thinking this a little bit though.
Oh...right...but then maybe he would get his roars um...vocoded...robotized...whatever since it should be as easy as making voice sound lower.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, I've tempered myself ever since King K. Rool didn't make it into Brawl, so I'm good. The one thing I don't get is why people can't be intelligent about the Ridley argument. Seriously, is it that hard to be a decent human being and not call people delusional/idiots?
Nope.avi.

I'd probably take Meta-Ridley too, but only if it's the design from the 1st Prime like in Brawl. The Prime 3 Meta was ehh.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd probably take Meta-Ridley too, but only if it's the design from the 1st Prime like in Brawl. The Prime 3 Meta was ehh.
Yeah, the MP1 Meta-Ridely was a much less busy design. Sort of simple and slick. Not that Prime 3's terrible or anything. I just didn't like it quite as much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom