• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Eagle

Smash Lord
If Ridley is playable in this game he will be revealed at E3. It has nothing to do with patterns or anniversaries. Ridley will generate hype. Leave the random Nintendo Direct reveals for the soft newcomers.
Palutena

Mac generated little hype in places other than US. That's why the Nintendo Direct was US prime time for a change.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

A tribute to the Phantom Train Fight from Final Fantasy 6...
Try listening to this while looking at this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYeqmwIRF9w

Don't ask me why Ridley would be fighting/running away from the Phantom Train.
(Note: Look at the background, there are brick walls; this means that the fight is in a TUNNEL, Ridley can't escape by flying to the sky)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

A tribute to the Phantom Train Fight from Final Fantasy 6...
Try listening to this while looking at this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYeqmwIRF9w

Don't ask me why Ridley would be fighting/running away from the Phantom Train.
(Note: Look at the background, there are brick walls; this means that the fight is in a TUNNEL, Ridley can't escape by flying to the sky)
I won't ask why, but can he mother****ing suplex that train?

If Ridley is playable in this game he will be revealed at E3. It has nothing to do with patterns or anniversaries. Ridley will generate hype. Leave the random Nintendo Direct reveals for the soft newcomers.
Palutena

Mac generated little hype in places other than US. That's why the Nintendo Direct was US prime time for a change.
I seriously doubt that Ridley would be revealed this week. That's just setting up disappointment for most people. For a while, I thought Ridley would be revealed next month at April because it felt like it would be the ideal time for a hype-inducing newcomer to be revealed, but now I'm doubting that possibility. He's either going to be revealed at E3 or August, otherwise he will be unlockable character.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would have to say Ridley being a strictly western appeal character would only either be revealed at E3 or some similar NA oriented event of some kind or even a late day direct like when Mac was revealed. Hard to say though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So wednesday ridley will probably be revealed. think about it. wednesday is super metroids 20th anniversary. ridley was heavily hinted at with sakurai stating "not all characters stay true to scale"https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFvxcSrIQ this is clearly a direct attack at people who are anti ridley. He attacked the main argument, the size argument. but it gets better. he made that post clearly attacking the anti ridley arguments EXACTLY one month from super metroids 20th anniversary. He hasn't shown a veteran in over 3 weeks now and didnt show yoshi when his game came out. why? because hes saving it for something big. A newcomer of course. Nintendo directs come monthly only missing january which is the first time nintendo missed a month in a while as they had a direct december, november, october, september, august, july, june, may, march 2013, ect. so its EXTREMLEY likley that we will have a direct this month. and most directs are in the first set of double digits (10-19) so it would make sense its coming up very soon. and we know that its not on tuesday the 18th because nintendo wouldve confirmed it by now on their twitter. So the last number in the first double digits is 19. and while alot of people thought sakurai was saying ridley was a stage hazard, the pyrosphere is the most shown NEW stage and yet unlike the yellow devil, has yet to be revealed. so yellow devil gets revealed right away but ridley takes tons of pyrosphere pictures to be revealed as a stage hazard? it is growing less and less likley hes a stage hazard. Still a possibility but not so much anymore. Sakurai never clarified what form that enemy from samuses past is. stage hazard? nope. Assist trophy? Mabye. Playable character? probably. It would have been a clever hint. saying that ridley will apear but having smash bros fans take it as a stage hazard rather than a playable character. a smart move from the always trollish sakurai. And it wont be dark samus revealed because sakurai never hinted on multiple occasions towards dark samus like he did with ridley. So signs point towards a nintendo direct this month. signs point towards a direct this week which will most likley be wensday. signs point towards a newcomer reveal. signs point towards the inclusion of ridley. and signs point towards ridley being the character revealed on the direct which is on super metroids 20th anniversary. Well thats what i think.
A Direct would have to be announced today for there to be one tomorrow on Super Metroid's 20th anniversary. While I do agree on your sentiments as to why Ridley is likely a character, I doubt we're going to see him tomorrow. There's barely any other character this game benefits so much from keeping hidden until later, there's so much controversy and speculation surrounding him, I imagine they'd rather show him off with a great bang at a big event like E3. Plus, Nintendo is also at GDC atm, so I figure that if they have anything new to show, they're probably going to show it over there rather than make a Direct at the same time they're there.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anything changed since I was last here? Still dealing with people thinking a purple space dragon is too big while an ox-turtle-dragon is A-OK?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I have in interesting idea for Ridley's grab.

Since he'll most likely be rather sluggish on the ground, why not give him a second grab? By pressing the grab button and turning the analog stick the opposite he's facing at the same time, his tail will reach out and act like an arm ensnaring an opponent behind him.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I have in interesting idea for Ridley's grab.

Since he'll most likely be rather sluggish on the ground, why not give him a second grab? By pressing the grab button and turning the analog stick the opposite he's facing at the same time, his tail will reach out and act like an arm ensnaring an opponent behind him.
Or instead of his arms, he'll use his tail to grab and then for his throws he can use his arms. So pummel is him tightening his tail, sort of like what Ivysaur does, and then his down throw is him grinding someone along the ground for a second and then sending them outwards.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
And weak! (0_0)

Ganondorf & Mewtwo need heavy work more than the bowser treatment.
Bowser's getting some good work done, but I agree- Ganondorf needs a projectile and Mewtwo needs to be heavier and stronger. And Ridley needs to be in the game ;)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Bowser's getting some good work done, but I agree- Ganondorf needs a projectile and Mewtwo needs to be heavier and stronger. And Ridley needs to be in the game ;)
They could even keep mewtwos average speed ' lightweight and big but change his moves and make him alot stronger.

A mix of it if anything

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know, I will say that if Ridley is a stage hazard, that he COULD be revealed tomorrow for Super Metroid's Anniversary.

I mean I think that's a stretch, but it's possible.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
An actual Super Metroid (trophy, Assist or boss) would make more sense. but I digress.

I do kind of think that with today's update, Sakurai'll be going in depth about other stages soon enough. At that point the great Pyrosphere (Literal) Flame War will begin anew.

NNID
Majorasmask66
3 and a half weeks gone by and still no veteran reveal...i really believe Ridley will be revealed tomorrow. but i am afraid to get my hopes up ): Ridley is almost to good to be true.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I doubt we're even going to see anything in regards to Metroid tomorrow. I don't think Sakurai is keeping check on all anniversaries for core games of each franchise. If it was Metroid's actual anniversary then maybe, but this is just Super Metroid, and while it's the most critically acclaimed and iconic title in the franchise, it still is just the 3rd game in the franchise.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Pretty sure this place will lose it long before that happens if that is the case.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
If we do get something for the Super Metroid anniversary, let's hope for ZSS, the faster she is revealed, the faster we will be sure that if a Metroid character is annouced it would be a newcommer and not her.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If we do get something for the Super Metroid anniversary, let's hope for ZSS, the faster she is revealed, the faster we will be sure that if a Metroid character is annouced it would be a newcommer and not her.
I don't think ZSS is needed for Ridley's trailer. she's still samus.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I don't think ZSS is needed for Ridley's trailer. she's still samus.
I agree.

But, I was talking more about that every time we think that we will maybe have a Metroid character announcement on a Metroid anniversary it might be her and not good old Ridley, so the faster she is announced, the faster we will be sure that if a charcter is announced on an anniversary day it will be a newcomer and not ZSS.

Since I only know very basic english it's pretty hard for me to be clear sometimes, sorry if you can't understand me very well ^^

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
They will show ridley for a bit in the newcomer trailer and just when you think hes gonna be announced playable, cranky kong kills him and is announced as the real 6th newcomer.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
For metroids anniversary they should at least denounce him as a stage hazard and show that the pyrosphere just as rising lava.

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
If not for last week I think they'd show a new 3DS Metroid stage.

Maybe we'll get a new Metroid-related item? ARM CANNONS FOR EVERYONE!
If Samus or Mega Man get it, they'll wear the arm canon over their arm canons.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It'd be cool to see the 3DS Metroid stage.

...providing that Ridley isn't in it.

...God, that'd be a kick in the balls. After all this, Sakurai shows us the 3DS stage, which has Ridley readily visible in it at all times.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It'd be cool to see the 3DS Metroid stage.

...providing that Ridley isn't in it.

...God, that'd be a kick in the balls. After all this, Sakurai shows us the 3DS stage, which has Ridley readily visible in it at all times.
I wouldn't even care if ridley was a stage hazard in pyrosphere at that point

NNID
Majorasmask66
welp no direct announcement looks my prediction is a bust ): also then that means SAKURAI SHOW A GOSH DARN VETERAN ALREADY!!! 3 and a half weeks and no reveal of any character...-_-

Zynux

Smash Lord
Man, just imagine that. Super Metroid anniversary! Ridley as a stage hazard for Pyrosphere...

No amount of lube would prepare for the amount of butthurt I would be feeling.

D

Deleted member

They were hoping for the announcement today for one tomorrow. Given that so far all the newcomers + Sonic since E3 have followed that pattern..
Except that....we won't get a global Direct until April.

Top Bottom