• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

UltimateWario

Smash Master
These two pieces are very solidly written. I find myself both pleased and rather impressed. How much experience do you have with writing, might I ask?

I think some editing would benefit both pieces. The most notable element is the overabundance of semi-colones and ellipses, which disrupt some of the pacing and flow. And there are other punctuation/grammatical/syntactical elements that cumulatively impact your prose. But the actual substance of your pieces, from the storytelling to the vocabulary, is good as is.

I can offer to polish your pieces in this respect, as I have experience in Beta Reading and editing the writing of others. Let me know whether this interests you. ;)

God, yes, thank you. You wouldn't believe how long I've been looking for someone to help me out in this respect. As per my experience, I've been writing for a long time, but I've never had any "formal" training, nothing past basic to "advanced" English courses. EDIT: Which would explain the semicolon machine gun.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

God, yes, thank you. You wouldn't believe how long I've been looking for someone to help me out in this respect. As per my experience, I've been writing for a long time, but I've never had any "formal" training, nothing past basic to "advanced" English courses.
I've been writing fanfiction for the past four years (which is where my Beta Reading skills were honed). I also excelled in my grade school language classes (English and French), and my ultimatewario aspiration is to someday become a professional author.

So naturally, the craft of writing is something in which I've invested much time, effort, and thought.

I will do a simple editing pass of your two pieces, focusing primarily on punctuation and syntax. I'll try to not change the actual prose too much, though I may re-format and shuffle a few sentences around, if need be. In any case, I'll post the revised excerpts in this thread, either editing this post, or leaving them in a subsequent one. :)

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Since everyone seems to be sharing their drawings of Ridley, I guess I'll share my talent. Hope you guys enjoy these quick stories.

This is a sort of re-imagining of the infamous "breakdown" scene of Other M, but taking place where the scene would logically fit (in the first Metroid, Samus's first encounter with Ridley after he ruined her life).

A massive, serpentine shadow flitted into view and back out again, silent and imposing. The Power Suit-clad bounty hunter's eyes darted around the room, trying to read the creature's movements, doing anything to calm her rapidly-beating heart.

This was it, that...thing...from so many years ago...she knew it had to be. The roars and screeches she'd heard on the way here...she'd remember those horrid noises anywhere. She'd fought her way through Brinstar, Norfair, and even her old home to get to where she was now; the Space Pirate base of operations; Command Base Ridley.

I've been so brave up until now, she thought, maybe even a little cocky. The hostile native life stood no chance against her advanced weapons systems and nearly impenetrable armor; even the Space Pirates themselves seemed unable to put a dent in them.

But now, under all of her armor and weapons...she felt like a little girl again; the same little girl that lived on K-2L, the same one that was raised by the Chozo on this very planet, the same one that watched her parents...

Samus's heart jumped at the roar. From out of the mazelike-pipes and wires, the massive violet dragon erupted like the devil himself out of hell. The woman froze up; unable to move, unable to think, unable to breathe, she watched the Space Pirate commander inch closer and closer through the air. Time seemed to have slowed down to near-stopping, and suddenly her head was filled with so many painful memories it was as if they would explode out of her eyes and flood her helmet.

She was a little girl again. Running. Screaming. Her mother close behind, pushing her forward. Fire raged all around them; the screams of murder and pain were just as prevalent as the flames themselves. Samus started to turn her ash- and blood-covered head, but her mother quickly smacked her.

"Don't you dare look back, Sam!" she screamed. In any other circumstance, Samus would've been even more frightened, but she knew now how grave the situation was. "Just keep running! Go and ge-"

Her mother was cut off by the most horrifying and gut-wrenching noise Samus had ever heard, even to this day. A piercing shriek, like an eagle the size of a Federation Frigate, followed by the wet, nauseating ripping of flesh. Samus couldn't keep running any longer and fell to the ground, quickly turning over and facing the nightmare behind her.

There he stood, wings spread out like a sunset-colored explosion, his beak-like jaw and razor teeth covered in blood and flesh. His lengthy, spear-like tail flicked around, ready to skewer anyone who tried to approach from behind. In one talon, he held half of an armored Federation Trooper, and under his mighty foot, her mother. She'd been impaled by the massive claws that tipped each toe; but she was very clearly still alive. Her words were short, barely audible over the sounds of death all around her; the dragon was too busy devouring the rest of the trooper to deal with the pathetic little girl in front of him.

"R-Run...Sam...us, y-you...have t-to...r...un..."

"Run..."

"RUN!"

Samus snapped back to the present. Her heart raced, pumping her inherited blood through her body with a nearly-insane fervor. Her lungs filled and emptied faster than she could control. She switched her Arm Cannon to Missile Mode as the hellish dragon grew closer. Her eyes filled with tears of rage as her teeth clenched so hard she thought they'd break under the pressure.

"No, Mother. Not this time. I'm done running."

The Super Missile screamed out of her cannon.

This is the opening to a little ongoing project I've been working on. This is simply a fragment of the first chapter.

The tiny human girl lifted the much tinier, wooden cup up to the doll's face, emitting a thick, wet slurping noise; the cup bounced off of the doll's wooden beak with a quiet "tok". The red sun loomed down from above, turning everything a beautiful sunset orange, despite it being the middle of the day. The little girl's golden hair fell down to the ground and pooled under her tiny rear; the Chozo believed that the wills of the body shouldn't be suppressed, so cutting hair was unnecessary and forbidden.

Nearly silent footsteps padded up the stone walk little Samus was playing on, stopping a few feet behind her and peering down. The shadow cast over her caught her attention, drawing her eyes up to look at her extremely tall visitor. A large, bird-like face, adorned with a short, blunt beak looked back at her; it would've worn a smile if it could've.

"Hello, my dear Hatchling Samus," Old Bird said, his deep voice full of wisdom and kindness, "Am I interrupting your tea time?" His human charge giggled, shaking her head.

"No, Elder Old Bird!" she said happily, "You're very welcome to join!" Her voice contrasted her keeper's heavily, being so full of life and curiousity. You'd never have guessed she'd been through so much tragedy and pain before now; but Samus was a strong girl and the Chozo were worthy caretakers.

The elder Chozo chuckled softly, reaching his talon-tipped hand down, and gently caressed the girl's honey-colored hair. "Perhaps later, Hatchling. Now, it is time for learning." Samus crossed her arms, pouting.

"Aw, no way!" she grunted, "I wanna keep playing!" Old Bird grunted in response.

The large, birdlike creature stooped down, took a seat, and grabbed one of the tiny wooden dolls from the ground. "Who is this?" he asked his adopted daughter with a smile (or he would have one if his beak could express it). Samus Aran looked at him with a huge smile, pointing to the figure.

"This is Captain Rodney! He's a big, strong Captain in the Federation!" the little girl said, pointing to the wooden figure; her smile quickly turned sour. "He's married to a beautiful mechanic named Virginia." Her sour smile turned into a frown. "They h-have a little g-girl...n-named..."

"Samus," Old Bird said, putting his feathery, clawed hand on her head, ever so gently. "Her name is Samus, and she's a beautiful young girl." The child looked up at her Chozo caretaker, her eyes red and beginning to fill with tears. The elder took her doll from her, placing the mother and father together. The smallest figure was humanesque, like the mother and father, but had the wings of the other Chozo figurines.

"A very mean dragon came to her home one day," Samus continued in Old Bird's stead, making a butterfly-looking shadow over the dolls with her hands, "He brought his friends, and together they brought fire." She took the two taller figures and placed them upon some nearby stonework trim. "Samus got seperated from her parents when she fell into the basement. A-And then...the dragon c-c-came and..."

Old Bird pulled the little girl close, into his lap, gently caressing her hair. "Then the kind birds came from the stars." The Chozo took some of the generic, bird-like figurines and set them all around the little girl figure in a circle, protecting her from all sides, just as they had back on K-2L. Samus looked up again; this time, though, her eyes were full of curiosity and thankfulness. "They saved Samus from the burning world, and made her a very special promise." Samus's lip quivered for a moment before she buried her face in her "father's" chest, sobbing. Old Bird pushed her away slightly, keeping his hand upon her head and looking her directly in the eyes.

"We are not separated by race, Samus," he continued, his voice still soft and wise, "We are separated by destiny. The Chozo are destined to fade from the galaxy, leaving only traces of dust and remorse for things unachieved. You, however, are to be a point of light throughout the galaxy. Those oppressed by the tyranny of evil, in all its forms, will look to your strength and wisdom."

The Chozo's voice became a bit more harsh, but Samus was far too enraptured in his tale to be frightened.

"You will bring not only hope to the righteous, but fire and judgment to those who walk the path of darkness. Those who revel in greed and power will fear and loathe your name. They will call you 'The Hunter'." Old Bird's voice became calm once more.

"But you must always remember that, no matter what you're called: Hunter or Hatchling; you must always remember that you are, above all else, Samus Aran."

I figure that since this is now the "Arts and Crafts" thread, this isn't too out of place, though I'll gladly discontinue such overtly-offensive acts if they are. :p
That was very good.
Seriously... you should work for Nintendo.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The only thing I'm good at is visualizing and creating concepts. With no good way of getting a picture because I'm bad at drawing from my mind.

Don't suppose that would help with our arts and crafts thing, unless I come up with a new concept for ridley and someone can draw it, I guess.

Don't even know why I brought it up tbh

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The only thing I'm good at is visualizing and creating concepts. With no good way of getting a picture because I'm bad at drawing from my mind.

Don't suppose that would help with our arts and crafts thing, unless I come up with a new concept for ridley and someone can draw it, I guess.

Don't even know why I brought it up tbh
:) you can tell me wich characteristics you want Ridley's design to have and i can try to draw it

Maybe it will come out really sketchy, but i could later try to refine it

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
:) Ok! here it is just 9:35...early for me....oh well. i will think in other Ridley drawings in the mean time.
Actually...

I started thinking about what would happen if there was an error in the cloning (because whatever let's clone Ridley again) and some of Samus's Chozo DNA got in there.

So basically draw a Ridley with bird wings and feathers, I guess. I dunno its late here so I'm only half conscious.

AndreaAC

when you got a full concept of it, just tell me....im trying to think on how he would look like that...specially since im working on a mask with the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl on it....a feathered snake

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Maybe I'll sketch something up. I'm not the best but the only reason I'm kinda bad at drawing is cause I don't practice.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

:) do a quick sketch with the characteristics of the design and i will try to refine it the best i can...and dont worry about that...

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
:) do a quick sketch with the characteristics of the design and i will try to refine it the best i can
Maybe tomorrow, right now I'm too tired and should probably sleep.

So tomorrow, I guess.

I mean, I never bought art academy sketchpad for nothing, I should really use it more

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Since everyone seems to be sharing their drawings of Ridley, I guess I'll share my talent. Hope you guys enjoy these quick stories.

This is a sort of re-imagining of the infamous "breakdown" scene of Other M, but taking place where the scene would logically fit (in the first Metroid, Samus's first encounter with Ridley after he ruined her life).

A massive, serpentine shadow flitted into view and back out again, silent and imposing. The Power Suit-clad bounty hunter's eyes darted around the room, trying to read the creature's movements, doing anything to calm her rapidly-beating heart.

This was it, that...thing...from so many years ago...she knew it had to be. The roars and screeches she'd heard on the way here...she'd remember those horrid noises anywhere. She'd fought her way through Brinstar, Norfair, and even her old home to get to where she was now; the Space Pirate base of operations; Command Base Ridley.

I've been so brave up until now, she thought, maybe even a little cocky. The hostile native life stood no chance against her advanced weapons systems and nearly impenetrable armor; even the Space Pirates themselves seemed unable to put a dent in them.

But now, under all of her armor and weapons...she felt like a little girl again; the same little girl that lived on K-2L, the same one that was raised by the Chozo on this very planet, the same one that watched her parents...

Samus's heart jumped at the roar. From out of the mazelike-pipes and wires, the massive violet dragon erupted like the devil himself out of hell. The woman froze up; unable to move, unable to think, unable to breathe, she watched the Space Pirate commander inch closer and closer through the air. Time seemed to have slowed down to near-stopping, and suddenly her head was filled with so many painful memories it was as if they would explode out of her eyes and flood her helmet.

She was a little girl again. Running. Screaming. Her mother close behind, pushing her forward. Fire raged all around them; the screams of murder and pain were just as prevalent as the flames themselves. Samus started to turn her ash- and blood-covered head, but her mother quickly smacked her.

"Don't you dare look back, Sam!" she screamed. In any other circumstance, Samus would've been even more frightened, but she knew now how grave the situation was. "Just keep running! Go and ge-"

Her mother was cut off by the most horrifying and gut-wrenching noise Samus had ever heard, even to this day. A piercing shriek, like an eagle the size of a Federation Frigate, followed by the wet, nauseating ripping of flesh. Samus couldn't keep running any longer and fell to the ground, quickly turning over and facing the nightmare behind her.

There he stood, wings spread out like a sunset-colored explosion, his beak-like jaw and razor teeth covered in blood and flesh. His lengthy, spear-like tail flicked around, ready to skewer anyone who tried to approach from behind. In one talon, he held half of an armored Federation Trooper, and under his mighty foot, her mother. She'd been impaled by the massive claws that tipped each toe; but she was very clearly still alive. Her words were short, barely audible over the sounds of death all around her; the dragon was too busy devouring the rest of the trooper to deal with the pathetic little girl in front of him.

"R-Run...Sam...us, y-you...have t-to...r...un..."

"Run..."

"RUN!"

Samus snapped back to the present. Her heart raced, pumping her inherited blood through her body with a nearly-insane fervor. Her lungs filled and emptied faster than she could control. She switched her Arm Cannon to Missile Mode as the hellish dragon grew closer. Her eyes filled with tears of rage as her teeth clenched so hard she thought they'd break under the pressure.

"No, Mother. Not this time. I'm done running."

The Super Missile screamed out of her cannon.

This is the opening to a little ongoing project I've been working on. This is simply a fragment of the first chapter.

The tiny human girl lifted the much tinier, wooden cup up to the doll's face, emitting a thick, wet slurping noise; the cup bounced off of the doll's wooden beak with a quiet "tok". The red sun loomed down from above, turning everything a beautiful sunset orange, despite it being the middle of the day. The little girl's golden hair fell down to the ground and pooled under her tiny rear; the Chozo believed that the wills of the body shouldn't be suppressed, so cutting hair was unnecessary and forbidden.

Nearly silent footsteps padded up the stone walk little Samus was playing on, stopping a few feet behind her and peering down. The shadow cast over her caught her attention, drawing her eyes up to look at her extremely tall visitor. A large, bird-like face, adorned with a short, blunt beak looked back at her; it would've worn a smile if it could've.

"Hello, my dear Hatchling Samus," Old Bird said, his deep voice full of wisdom and kindness, "Am I interrupting your tea time?" His human charge giggled, shaking her head.

"No, Elder Old Bird!" she said happily, "You're very welcome to join!" Her voice contrasted her keeper's heavily, being so full of life and curiousity. You'd never have guessed she'd been through so much tragedy and pain before now; but Samus was a strong girl and the Chozo were worthy caretakers.

The elder Chozo chuckled softly, reaching his talon-tipped hand down, and gently caressed the girl's honey-colored hair. "Perhaps later, Hatchling. Now, it is time for learning." Samus crossed her arms, pouting.

"Aw, no way!" she grunted, "I wanna keep playing!" Old Bird grunted in response.

The large, birdlike creature stooped down, took a seat, and grabbed one of the tiny wooden dolls from the ground. "Who is this?" he asked his adopted daughter with a smile (or he would have one if his beak could express it). Samus Aran looked at him with a huge smile, pointing to the figure.

"This is Captain Rodney! He's a big, strong Captain in the Federation!" the little girl said, pointing to the wooden figure; her smile quickly turned sour. "He's married to a beautiful mechanic named Virginia." Her sour smile turned into a frown. "They h-have a little g-girl...n-named..."

"Samus," Old Bird said, putting his feathery, clawed hand on her head, ever so gently. "Her name is Samus, and she's a beautiful young girl." The child looked up at her Chozo caretaker, her eyes red and beginning to fill with tears. The elder took her doll from her, placing the mother and father together. The smallest figure was humanesque, like the mother and father, but had the wings of the other Chozo figurines.

"A very mean dragon came to her home one day," Samus continued in Old Bird's stead, making a butterfly-looking shadow over the dolls with her hands, "He brought his friends, and together they brought fire." She took the two taller figures and placed them upon some nearby stonework trim. "Samus got seperated from her parents when she fell into the basement. A-And then...the dragon c-c-came and..."

Old Bird pulled the little girl close, into his lap, gently caressing her hair. "Then the kind birds came from the stars." The Chozo took some of the generic, bird-like figurines and set them all around the little girl figure in a circle, protecting her from all sides, just as they had back on K-2L. Samus looked up again; this time, though, her eyes were full of curiosity and thankfulness. "They saved Samus from the burning world, and made her a very special promise." Samus's lip quivered for a moment before she buried her face in her "father's" chest, sobbing. Old Bird pushed her away slightly, keeping his hand upon her head and looking her directly in the eyes.

"We are not separated by race, Samus," he continued, his voice still soft and wise, "We are separated by destiny. The Chozo are destined to fade from the galaxy, leaving only traces of dust and remorse for things unachieved. You, however, are to be a point of light throughout the galaxy. Those oppressed by the tyranny of evil, in all its forms, will look to your strength and wisdom."

The Chozo's voice became a bit more harsh, but Samus was far too enraptured in his tale to be frightened.

"You will bring not only hope to the righteous, but fire and judgment to those who walk the path of darkness. Those who revel in greed and power will fear and loathe your name. They will call you 'The Hunter'." Old Bird's voice became calm once more.

"But you must always remember that, no matter what you're called: Hunter or Hatchling; you must always remember that you are, above all else, Samus Aran."

I figure that since this is now the "Arts and Crafts" thread, this isn't too out of place, though I'll gladly discontinue such overtly-offensive acts if they are. :p
Dude, I cannot tell you how excellent that was. I'm usually not a fan of fan-fiction, but goddamnit was that a good read. You say it's only part of a project? I can't wait to see more.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ UltimateWario UltimateWario and everyone else:

I've completed the editing pass of UW's excerpts. To see the original passages, refer to this post.

I will leave the revised excerpts below, then comment on the changes and edits that I've made.

[collapse=Excerpt A - The Cunning God of Death]
A/N: This is a sort of re-imagining of the infamous "breakdown" scene of Other M, but taking place where the scene would logically fit (in the first Metroid, Samus's first encounter with Ridley after he ruined her life).

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX​

A massive, serpentine shadow flitted into view and back out again, silent and imposing. The bounty hunter, clad in her Power Suit, darted her eyes around the room, trying to read the creature's movements - doing anything to calm her rapidly-beating heart.

This was it. That... thing from so many years ago. She knew it had to be.

She'd recognize those horrid roars and screeches anywhere.

She'd fought her way through Brinstar, Norfair, and even her old home to get to where she was now: the Space Pirate Base of Operations. Command Base Ridley.

I've been so brave up until now, she thought. Maybe even a little cocky. The hostile native life stood no chance against her advanced weapons systems and nearly impenetrable armor. Even the Space Pirates themselves seemed unable to put a dent in them.

But now, under all of her armor and weapons, she felt like a little girl again - the same little girl that lived on K-2L, the same one that was raised by the Chozo on this very planet.

The same one that watched her parents...

Samus' heart jumped at the roar. The massive violet dragon erupted from the labyrinthine pipes and wires like the Devil himself out of Hell. She froze - unable to move, to think, to breathe - as she witnessed the Space Pirate Commander inch through the air toward her. Time seemed to slow to a near-standstill, and her head was suddenly pulsing with resurfacing memories, the pressure building until it felt like they would burst from her eyes and flood her helmet.

She was a little girl again. Running. Screaming. Her mother close behind, pushing her onward.

Fire raged all around them, and the screams of the dying were just as prevalent as the flames themselves. Samus started to turn her ash- and blood-covered head to glance behind her, but her mother quickly smacked her.

"Don't you dare look back, Sam!" she screamed. In any other circumstance, Samus would've been even more frightened. But by that point, she had begun to grasp the true severity of the situation. "Just keep running! Go and ge-"

Her voice was cut off by the most horrifying and gut-wrenching noise Samus had ever heard, even to this day. A piercing shriek, like an eagle the size of a Federation Frigate, followed by the wet, nauseating ripping of flesh.

Samus couldn't keep running any longer and fell to the ground, quickly turning to face the living nightmare found there.

The wings spread out like a sunset-colored explosion, beak-like jaw and razor teeth glistening with blood and flesh. His lengthy, spear-like tail flicked around, ready to skewer anyone who tried to approach from behind. In one talon, he held half of an armored Federation Trooper, and under his mighty foot was pinned her mother. She'd been impaled by the massive claws that tipped each toe, but was nonetheless still alive.

Her words were stunted and strained, barely audible over the symphony of death surrounding her. The dragon was too busy devouring what was left of the Trooper to concern himself with the insignificant girl that lay before him.

"R-Run, Sam...us. Y-you...have to...run..."

...Run...

...RUN!

Samus snapped back to the present.

Her heart raced, pumping her inherited blood with zeal. She could hardly keep track of how fast her lungs filled and emptied with her every frantic breath. She switched her Arm Cannon to Missile Mode as the living nightmare drew closer. Her eyes welled with tears of rage, and her teeth clenched so hard that she thought they might break from the pressure.

"No, Mother," she whispered to herself. "Not this time. I'm done running."

The Super Missile howled as it shot from her Cannon.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Excerpt B - A Beacon of Light]
A/N: This is the opening to a little ongoing project I've been working on. This is simply a fragment of the first chapter.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX​

The tiny human girl brought the tinier wooden cup to the doll's face, where she made a thick, wet slurping noise. The cup bounced off the doll's wooden beak with a quiet tok.

The red sun loomed down from above, basking everything in a beautiful sunset orange despite it being the middle of the day. The little girl's golden hair fell down to the ground and pooled under her tiny rear. The Chozo believed that the will of the body should not be suppressed, so cutting hair was viewed as both unnecessary and forbidden.

Nearly silent footsteps padded up the stone walkway little Samus was playing on, stopping a few feet behind her. The shadow cast over her caught her attention, and she strained her eyes to look up at her very tall visitor. A large, bird-like face looked back down at her, adorned with a short, blunt beak. It would have worn a smile if it could.

"Hello, my dear Hatchling Samus," Old Bird said, his deep voice full of wisdom and kindness. "Am I interrupting your tea time?"

His human charge giggled, shaking her head. "No, Elder Old Bird!" she enthused. "You're very welcome to join!"

Her voice heavily contrasted her keeper's, brimming with life and curiosity. At a glance, one would never have guessed how much tragedy and pain she had endured thus far in her young life. But Samus was a strong girl, and the Chozo were mindful caretakers.

The elder Chozo chuckled softly, reaching his talon-tipped hand down to gently caress the girl's honey-colored hair. "Perhaps later, Hatchling. It is now time for learning."

"Aw, no way!" Samus crossed her arms, pouting. "I wanna keep playing!" she grunted. Old Bird grunted in response.

The avian entity stooped down, took a seat, and grabbed one of the tiny wooden dolls from the ground. "Who is this?" he asked his adoptive daughter, eyes smiling where his beak could not.

Samus Aran looked at him with a huge smile, pointing to the figure. "This is Captain Rodney!" she began, pointing to the wooden figure. "He's a big, strong Captain in the Federation!" Her smile turned sour. "He's married to a beautiful mechanic named Virginia." Her sour smile turned into a frown. "They h-have a little g-girl...n-named..."

"...Samus," Old Bird said, placing his feathered, clawed hand on her head, ever so gently. "Her name is Samus, and she's a beautiful young girl."

The child looked up at her Chozo caretaker, eyes red and beginning to fill with tears. The elder took the doll from her, placing the mother and father together on the walkway. The smallest figure was humanesque, like the mother and father, but possessed the wings exhibited in the other Chozo figurines.

"A very mean dragon came to her home one day," Samus continued in Old Bird's stead, casting a butterfly-like shadow over the dolls with her hands. "He brought his friends, and together they brought fire." She took the two taller figures and placed them upon some nearby stonework trim. "Samus got seperated from her parents when she fell into the basement. A-And then...the dragon c-c-came and..."

Old Bird pulled the little girl close, into his lap, caressing her hair. "And then the kind birds came from the stars."

The Chozo took some of the nondescript avian figurines and set them around the figure of the little girl in a circle, protecting her from all sides - just as they had on K-2L. Samus looked up again as the Elder continued; this time, however, her eyes were tinged with gratitude. "They saved Samus from the burning world, then made her a very special promise."

The girl's lip quivered before she buried her face in her caretaker's - her "father's" - chest, sobbing. Old Bird pushed her away slightly, keeping his hand on her head and staring her in the eyes with his own wizened spheres.

"We are not separated by race, Samus," he spoke, voice soft and sagely, "but by destiny. The Chozo are destined to fade from this galaxy, leaving behind only our footsteps in the dust and the sorrow of things left unfulfilled. But you, Samus... you are to be a beacon of light that shines throughout the stars. Those oppressed by the tyranny of evil in all its forms will look to your strength and your wisdom."

The Chozo's voice grew more harsh, but Samus was far too enraptured to be frightened.

"Not only will you bring hope to the righteous, but you will deliver fire and judgement to those who tread the path of darkness. Those to revel in greed and power will fear and loathe your name. They will call you The Hunter." Old Bird's intensity subsided, and he adopted his calm disposition once more. "But no matter what they call you - Hunter or Hatchling - you must always remember that you are, above all else, Samus Aran."
[/collapse]

[collapse=Editorial Notes]
So, here's a log of the alterations I've made:

-First, you relied too much on semi-colons. I do see the appeal in semi-colons; I used them rather liberally myself when I first began writing. But I've since come to realize that I was using them as a crutch, since it's so easy to glue two clauses together with the semi-colon. I've been trying to wean myself off semi-colon over-reliance in the past year or so as a result.

Your prose becomes much more concise and clear when you keep things confined to their own sentences, and use semi-colons only when absolutely necessary. By reducing semi-colon use to a bare minimum, your overall prose becomes sharper - and your action sequences in particular become crisper and punchier. I have therefore done away with most of them in the excerpts.

-As for ellipses, they are best used sparingly so as to not dilute their impact. They're fine during dialogue to illustrate notable pauses, but it's less advisable to pepper your actual prose with them. I have similarly trimmed down the ellipses.

-I reordered certain clauses to improve the flow of the sentences. Nothing all too major, but I find it makes a subtle difference.

-I've done a few minor embellishments - mainly choosing more fitting synonyms to replace existing words, and tweaking dialogue and descriptions to wring out a little more oomph. I don't think you'll find any objectionable alterations, but in the event that there are, you're certainly free to make further changes.

-I've also given improvised placeholder titles to each excerpt, just to augment the presentation. I'll leave you to choose whatever titles you please, though feel free to use the ones I've provided if they suit your purposes. ;)

-Lastly, I've done minor restructuring in terms of format (i.e. paragraphs, dialogue tags, etc.). This is just to improve the readability factor.
[/collapse]

So basically, all it amounts to is that you could strive to better master punctuation and syntax. Your vocabulary and description are your stronger suits. But lofty descriptions don't amount to much if you can't properly structure them (which is where punctuation and syntax come in). If you are interested in improving your writing, those are the areas in which you should focus.

I'm not an English major, or have any professional background in editing or related fields; I'm just a guy who likes to write. Even so, I have learned much, and I try to take the craft seriously, so it is my esteemed opinion that the revisions I've made have served to bring out the best in your story. :)

Also, @ UltimateWario UltimateWario , you said the second piece is part of an ongoing project. If you like, I would be willing to proofread and edit anything else that pertains to this project. If this prospect interests you, we can arrange something via PM.

Otherwise, I hope you find my revision to be satisfactory. ;)

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't able to preserve the indents in the excerpt. No matter.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Was unexpected (in a good way) to see some flex their writing muscles like that. Guess now it's no longer just the arts and crafts thread, in a sense.

So, about that pink and purple smash ball on Pyrosphere I'm sure everyone was wanting to talk about here during the maintenance/down time...

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I actually used to write fanfictions a couple years ago, but they were all Smash related (except for one recent Pokemon X and Y story that only lasted one chapter). Most were more humor based but I did try my hand at some serious and moody styles. Writing probably just isn't for me though, but I'm certainly better at it then art.

That said I just might whip up a quickie for you guys to see if I've got anything good left.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Was unexpected (in a good way) to see some flex their writing muscles like that. Guess now it's no longer just the arts and crafts thread, in a sense.
Dang it guys.

So, about that pink and purple smash ball on Pyrosphere I'm sure everyone was wanting to talk about here during the maintenance/down time...
Thankfully (and I use that term loosely) that's being overshadowed by the dumb "a month's worth of updates = more than 30+ characters!" train of thought. Which isn't actually true, as only 20-23 updates per month (assuming the usual Monday-Friday updates and no double updates) means that it would indeed take over a month just go in depth for the 24 already confirmed characters (assuming they'd go over the 3 already confirmed ones, and possibly reveal ZSS in the process). But I digress, if it's not Ridley being too big, it's the roster being too small.

AndreaAC

That name change was fast! xD Oh, good, if some of you post fics here, it would help me to draw in the future...also i will have some fun reading them....

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
So, how is today's Pyrosphere pic about Ridley?
As we all know, every single Pyrosphere pic that Sakurai makes is a hint about Ridley being either playable or a stage hazard. It's just that some are more...subtle than others.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
So, how is today's Pyrosphere pic about Ridley?
As we all know, every single Pyrosphere pic that Sakurai makes is a hint about Ridley being either playable or a stage hazard. It's just that some are more...subtle than others.
He's hinting that Ridley is someone's final smash. I'm guessing... Samus => Zero Suit Samus => Ridley => Meta Ridley => Little Birdie.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I posted this in the Leaks thread, but i've added to it so i'm posting it here as well:

So far, we've gotten 5 newcomers, all humanoid characters. Even with the original, there were an equal number of humanoid and "monster" characters. What do i mean by this:
Humanoid: mario, link, luigi, capt falcon, ness, samus,
Monster: pika, dk, yoshi, kirby, fox, jiggs
6 humans, 6 monsters.

This pattern doesn't remain true for melee, but we had:
Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Peach, Capt Falcon, Ganondorf, Y. Link, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Ice climbers, Ness, G&W, Marth, Roy
Bowser, Yoshi, DK, Kirby, Fox, Falco, Pichu, Pika, Mewtwo, Jiggs
16 Humans, 10 monsters

Brawl had:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, ZSS, Pit, Ice Climbers, Olimar, Capt. Falcon, Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, G&W, and Snake
Bowser, DK, Diddy, Yoshi, ROB, Kirby, MK, Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pika, Pokemon Trainer (you play as his pokes), Lucario, Jiggs, and Sonic
21 Humans, 16 Monsters.

So far for Smash 4, we have:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link, Zelda, Toon Link, Samus, Pit, Olimar, Marth, Villager, Mega Man, WFT, Rosalina, and Little Mac
Bowser, DK, Diddy, Kirby, Dedede, Fox, Pika, Lucario, and Sonic
15 Humans, 9 monsters.

What i'm getting at here is this: We see more humanoid character then monsters. Most of the wanted newcomers are humanoid (Palutena, Takamaru, Mii, ect.) whereas there's not a whole lot of monster newcomers out there. I think for the next direct we could be seeing one. Or if not the next, definitely E3.

Furthermore, every game has had a heavy newcomer or two:
64-DK
Melee- Bowser, Mewtwo, Ganondorf
Brawl- Dedede, Wario, Wolf, Snake

So far, Rosalina has been confirmed to be a lightweight via Pic of the Day and Little Mac, Mega Man, Villager, and WTF don't look like heavy weights to me, light or mid at best. So in addition to monsters, we need heavy weights. I wonder who fits that criteria...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Y'know I like to think a layer to this joke is that this is what I get for making my thread title actually sensible instead of trying to fancy it up back when all these threads were created once this sub-forum opened up.
You can also blame the K. Rool thread for being a tryhard.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
GUYS I SEE RIDLEY IN THE POTD

Here, I'll try and sharpen it for you:

Still a bit blurry, I can probably make it a bit more clear

and finally, RIDLEY CONFIRMED

AndreaAC

xD oh my...i nearly finished my "Carnival mask" with the aztec wind deity Quetzalcoatl.....and at first i wanted to make the mask with Ridley on it, but it was going to be way harder to make than a snake with wings and feathers....

oh well...there will be a day in the future i will be able to sculpt him...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I posted this in the Leaks thread, but i've added to it so i'm posting it here as well:

So far, we've gotten 5 newcomers, all humanoid characters. Even with the original, there were an equal number of humanoid and "monster" characters. What do i mean by this:
Humanoid: mario, link, luigi, capt falcon, ness, samus,
Monster: pika, dk, yoshi, kirby, fox, jiggs
6 humans, 6 monsters.

This pattern doesn't remain true for melee, but we had:
Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Peach, Capt Falcon, Ganondorf, Y. Link, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Ice climbers, Ness, G&W, Marth, Roy
Bowser, Yoshi, DK, Kirby, Fox, Falco, Pichu, Pika, Mewtwo, Jiggs
16 Humans, 10 monsters

Brawl had:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, ZSS, Pit, Ice Climbers, Olimar, Capt. Falcon, Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, G&W, and Snake
Bowser, DK, Diddy, Yoshi, ROB, Kirby, MK, Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pika, Pokemon Trainer (you play as his pokes), Lucario, Jiggs, and Sonic
21 Humans, 16 Monsters.

So far for Smash 4, we have:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link, Zelda, Toon Link, Samus, Pit, Olimar, Marth, Villager, Mega Man, WFT, Rosalina, and Little Mac
Bowser, DK, Diddy, Kirby, Dedede, Fox, Pika, Lucario, and Sonic
15 Humans, 9 monsters.

What i'm getting at here is this: We see more humanoid character then monsters. Most of the wanted newcomers are humanoid (Palutena, Takamaru, Mii, ect.) whereas there's not a whole lot of monster newcomers out there. I think for the next direct we could be seeing one. Or if not the next, definitely E3.

Furthermore, every game has had a heavy newcomer or two:
64-DK
Melee- Bowser, Mewtwo, Ganondorf
Brawl- Dedede, Wario, Wolf, Snake

So far, Rosalina has been confirmed to be a lightweight via Pic of the Day and Little Mac, Mega Man, Villager, and WTF don't look like heavy weights to me, light or mid at best. So in addition to monsters, we need heavy weights. I wonder who fits that criteria...
That's cool and all, but I have to point out that Mewtwo was anything but a heavyweight in Melee. He was lighter than even the Ice Climbers in that game.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That's cool and all, but I have to point out that Mewtwo was anything but a heavyweight in Melee. He was lighter than even the Ice Climbers in that game.
I guess I remember him wrong. It's been a while since i played Melee...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being tall and light might not be too bad if your approach options are very tolerable though. But I think that kind of topic will lead to a derailment if it's not Ridley-related.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There's a difference between weight and floatyness. Characters like Mewtwo, Samus (in Brawl), etc., are actually moderately "heavy" (at least more than actual lightweights in Mewtwo's case), but being so floaty leaves them susceptible to relatively early vertical KO's, especially without good DI. I imagine Ridley will be the spiritual successor of this trait, while Rosalina will be like the embodiment of anti-gravity/make Mewtwo look like it has Metal Mario's mass. At least she has punching bags. And Luma.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
It kind if worries me what if the smash ball had a certain power on the stage and on pyrosphere it would call ridley in.
On the positive side what if this has been Ridleys stage all along and we have not seen samuses stage yet.

NNID
Majorasmask66
So wednesday ridley will probably be revealed. think about it. wednesday is super metroids 20th anniversary. ridley was heavily hinted at with sakurai stating "not all characters stay true to scale"https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFvxcSrIQ this is clearly a direct attack at people who are anti ridley. He attacked the main argument, the size argument. but it gets better. he made that post clearly attacking the anti ridley arguments EXACTLY one month from super metroids 20th anniversary. He hasn't shown a veteran in over 3 weeks now and didnt show yoshi when his game came out. why? because hes saving it for something big. A newcomer of course. Nintendo directs come monthly only missing january which is the first time nintendo missed a month in a while as they had a direct december, november, october, september, august, july, june, may, march 2013, ect. so its EXTREMLEY likley that we will have a direct this month. and most directs are in the first set of double digits (10-19) so it would make sense its coming up very soon. and we know that its not on tuesday the 18th because nintendo wouldve confirmed it by now on their twitter. So the last number in the first double digits is 19. and while alot of people thought sakurai was saying ridley was a stage hazard, the pyrosphere is the most shown NEW stage and yet unlike the yellow devil, has yet to be revealed. so yellow devil gets revealed right away but ridley takes tons of pyrosphere pictures to be revealed as a stage hazard? it is growing less and less likley hes a stage hazard. Still a possibility but not so much anymore. Sakurai never clarified what form that enemy from samuses past is. stage hazard? nope. Assist trophy? Mabye. Playable character? probably. It would have been a clever hint. saying that ridley will apear but having smash bros fans take it as a stage hazard rather than a playable character. a smart move from the always trollish sakurai. And it wont be dark samus revealed because sakurai never hinted on multiple occasions towards dark samus like he did with ridley. So signs point towards a nintendo direct this month. signs point towards a direct this week which will most likley be wensday. signs point towards a newcomer reveal. signs point towards the inclusion of ridley. and signs point towards ridley being the character revealed on the direct which is on super metroids 20th anniversary. Well thats what i think.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So wednesday ridley will probably be revealed. think about it. wednesday is super metroids 20th anniversary. ridley was heavily hinted at with sakurai stating "not all characters stay true to scale"https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFvxcSrIQ this is clearly a direct attack at people who are anti ridley. He attacked the main argument, the size argument. but it gets better. he made that post clearly attacking the anti ridley arguments EXACTLY one month from super metroids 20th anniversary. He hasn't shown a veteran in over 3 weeks now and didnt show yoshi when his game came out. why? because hes saving it for something big. A newcomer of course. Nintendo directs come monthly only missing january which is the first time nintendo missed a month in a while as they had a direct december, november, october, september, august, july, june, may, march 2013, ect. so its EXTREMLEY likley that we will have a direct this month. and most directs are in the first set of double digits (10-19) so it would make sense its coming up very soon. and we know that its not on tuesday the 18th because nintendo wouldve confirmed it by now on their twitter. So the last number in the first double digits is 19. and while alot of people thought sakurai was saying ridley was a stage hazard, the pyrosphere is the most shown NEW stage and yet unlike the yellow devil, has yet to be revealed. so yellow devil gets revealed right away but ridley takes tons of pyrosphere pictures to be revealed as a stage hazard? it is growing less and less likley hes a stage hazard. Still a possibility but not so much anymore. Sakurai never clarified what form that enemy from samuses past is. stage hazard? nope. Assist trophy? Mabye. Playable character? probably. It would have been a clever hint. saying that ridley will apear but having smash bros fans take it as a stage hazard rather than a playable character. a smart move from the always trollish sakurai. And it wont be dark samus revealed because sakurai never hinted on multiple occasions towards dark samus like he did with ridley. So signs point towards a nintendo direct this month. signs point towards a direct this week which will most likley be wensday. signs point towards a newcomer reveal. signs point towards the inclusion of ridley. and signs point towards ridley being the character revealed on the direct which is on super metroids 20th anniversary. Well thats what i think.
Holy wall of text, Batman!

Top Bottom