• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd like some more villains, it wouldn't matter who they are, as long as they're at least a major antagonist. Ridley, K. Rool, Porky, Masked Man, Ghirahim, Bowser Junior, Mewtwo, Hades, Dark Samus, Waluigi, Captain Syrup, they're all major wants. Of course, I'd want the MAIN villain before I get a rival/minor antagonist (I'm looking at you, Dark Samus!) But that mostly won't bother me (it didn't with Wolf).
I'd like Bowser Jr. the most out of secondary villains. It'd be nice to have two villain reps for a franchise for once.

So long as one of them is the main villain.

EDIT: Right right, let's stay on topic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mother Brain only appeared in the opening of Other M, which was a direct flashback from Super Metroid. She wasn't in Other M, and ESPECIALLY wasn't fought in Phyrosphere.

People... Please stop. Ridley was fought at Phyroshere in Other M. This stage is Phyrosphere. It wasn't important for ANYTHING ELSE BUT FIGHTING RIDLEY - so there's no reason to think 'ohh it could be just anything, like Norfair was in Brawl!'. Difference being that Norfair in general is a huge area you revisit a lot. Phyrosphere? Not so much.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Mother Brain only appeared in the opening of Other M, which was a direct flashback from Super Metroid. She wasn't in Other M, and ESPECIALLY wasn't fought in Phyrosphere.

People... Please stop. Ridley was fought at Phyroshere in Other M. This stage is Phyrosphere. It wasn't important for ANYTHING ELSE BUT FIGHTING RIDLEY - so there's no reason to think 'ohh it could be just anything, like Norfair was in Brawl!'. Difference being that Norfair in general is a huge area you revisit a lot. Phyrosphere? Not so much.
It is where you fought Ridley, but will you fight against him as a character this time?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, off-topic, but I nearly collapsed on the floor laughing when the Donkey Kong Country DVD was at Target. Nearly bought it just to understand a lot of BKupa666's lingo.
Also, off-topic, SEE GUYS?! NINTENDO IS PROMOTING SOURCE MATERIAL FEATURING K. ROOL THUS HE'S RELEVANT THUS HE'S A SHOO-IN.

Back on-topic: and Ridley should be, too, if Sakurai doesn't blatantly f**k up again.

Groose

Smash Champion
It is where you fought Ridley, but will you fight against him as a character this time?

You probably will fight him in this arena. The question is: will that fight be one-sided? A fight against a stage hazard would definitely be so. Or will you duel on even ground, player to player?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Let's analyze the stage of origin itself.

The origin of Pyrosphere is that it's a "extremely heated, lava-filled area of the Bottle Ship." I've got a feeling that lava will be a stage hazard, and the "unknown" spark-like river flowing behind Bowser seems to be it. As said before, the lava will probably fill up quickly during the fight and act similar to that of Norfair's lava. Also, speaking about Metroid stages, will this one follow the routine of sinking into the lava/acid?​
The more you explore into this part of the ship, the more desert-like it becomes. It also houses creatures mostly native to Planet Zebes' Norfair. This SPECIFIC part of Pyrosphere seems to be the Geothermal Power Plant, where Ridley's clone is fought. Note I said CLONE. This doesn't de-confirm anything yet. For all we know, Ridley's in the game using a modified version of his Brawl appearance, and that his Other M clone is the stage hazard Sakurai's hinting at. It worked for Donkey Kong! Here's my idea for the stage:​
In the photo above is a picture of the match BEFORE the fight. Over some time, the Other M clone will appear and destroy the Magma-eruption port. This causes the lava to overflow and take over the main platform. Ridley will maybe fire some flaming orbs of awesomeness and roar, but that's it, and he'll fly back after the lava overtakes the main platform. Then, like magic, after some time, the room will drain, allowing you to touch the floor once again.​
That's my theory.​

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

The origin of Pyrosphere is that it's a "extremely heated, lava-filled area of the Bottle Ship." I've got a feeling that lava will be a stage hazard, and the "unknown" spark-like river flowing behind Bowser seems to be it. As said before, the lava will probably fill up quickly during the fight and act similar to that of Norfair's lava. Also, speaking about Metroid stages, will this one follow the routine of sinking into the lava/acid?​
The more you explore into this part of the ship, the more desert-like it becomes. It also houses creatures mostly native to Planet Zebes' Norfair. This SPECIFIC part of Pyrosphere seems to be the Geothermal Power Plant, where Ridley's clone is fought. Note I said CLONE. This doesn't de-confirm anything yet. For all we know, Ridley's in the game using a modified version of his Brawl appearance, and that his Other M clone is the stage hazard Sakurai's hinting at. It worked for Donkey Kong! Here's my idea for the stage:​
In the photo above is a picture of the match BEFORE the fight. Over some time, the Other M clone will appear and destroy the Magma-eruption port. This causes the lava to overflow and take over the main platform. Ridley will maybe fire some flaming orbs of awesomeness and roar, but that's it, and he'll fly back after the lava overtakes the main platform. Then, like magic, after some time, the room will drain, allowing you to touch the floor once again.​
That's my theory.​
This.

This is actually a pretty good analysis in my opinion!

Worked for DK. Could easily work for Toon Link, and could work for Ridley just the same.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For all the Other M haters who don't care about being spoiled, here's the whole battle in Phyrosphere against Ridley.

After this all, you never come there again.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

That's my theory.​
Like Oasis said earlier, I don't want to spin my wheels debating over whether 'normal Ridley' has a chance if 'clone Ridley' becomes a stage hazard. That said, it would be very easy to test that hypothesis by reading whatever caption Sakurai types out. If it's along the lines of 'Is that Ridley?' or 'This version of Ridley is particularly fierce,' it may not be as hopeless as you'd think, but otherwise, it would.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Difference between DK, Toon Link and Ridley:

DK is actually Cranky Kong, and him being there makes sence. As well as it makes sence to have an Arcade stage for Donkey Kong in general. Seeing as the game meant quite a lot to Nintendo's early succes.

Toon Link is there cause he's the machinist of the Spirit Train, which is the whole thing going on about Spirit Tracks in general. Plus, I personally think he's not all too likely either at this point now.

They could've chosen ANY area from Other M, but chose the one where you fight Ridley.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Then what about To *imagines Ridley's body with Toad's face on it.* ad.............
Thanks for the nightmare fuel, I didn't want to sleep anyway.

Anyway if this stage is based on the battle with Ridley, does anyone want Anthonny Higgs to appear randomly and fight Ridley to keep him busy from attacking the players for a while like he does in Other M, of course he will at some point be beaten and Ridley will get back at attacking the players.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I was actually going to discuss the whole Ridley clone thing in Other M, but it looks like I was beaten...

Anyway, Other M clone Ridley could be a stage hazard and normal Super Metroid-styled Ridley could be playable, but I guess I'm grasping at straws.

Difference between DK, Toon Link and Ridley:
Toon Link is there cause he's the machinist of the Spirit Train, which is the whole thing going on about Spirit Tracks in general. Plus, I personally think he's not all too likely either at this point now.
Actually, Spirit Tracks Link is Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link's descendant. Same goes for Spirit Tracks Zelda.

If Toon Link is a composite character of both WW/PH Link and ST Link, (like how normal SSB Link is apparently a combination of OOT Link and TP Link) then, yeah, it would deconfirm him, but you never know...

As long as I hear him say the famous words...

I'd be cool with this though. Anthony would at least appear in the game in an awesome way.
I'd like Anthony to be an Assist Trophy in SSB4. Same goes for Groose.

----

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks for the nightmare fuel, I didn't want to sleep anyway.

Anyway if this stage is based on the battle with Ridley, does anyone want Anthonny Higgs to appear randomly and fight Ridley to keep him busy from attacking the players for a while like he does in Other M, of course he will at some point be beaten and Ridley will get back at attacking the players.

As long as I hear him say the famous words...

I'd be cool with this though. Anthony would at least appear in the game in an awesome way.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Atleast everyone is not being ******** no more...nice to come back and see PeePz being civilized again.....also yh that could happen with the clone hazard and da...but...i dunno....just gotta wait some more....mm

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
It's not just that all of them except Dark Samus have only appeared in one game, but that most of them don't have the kind of All-Star status or potential that Ridley has. Given what Lucas and Ice Climbers have appeared in, even if it was only one game before their status in Smash, I can make a lot more sense of them being All-Stars than I can like Trace or Kanden for instance, unless MPH recently reached like Earthbound levels of memorableness that I wasn't aware of, but last I checked mostly everyone stopped playing it after the online died.

You also could've listed the three hunters from Metroid Prime 3, though I would've said the same about them much as I love like Rundas.
And I understand what you said but if Metroid is getting stale why not promote one of the other six hunters to the spotlight maybe that will inspire to make more Metroid games, at least I want to see Samus fighting Trace and his race or maybe Silux (wink, wink... in Metroid Prime 3 at the end it shows a ship that resembles his spaceship), I mean it would be interesting that Samus not only fight space pirates, she fights other clans, races and armies. Thats why I support the inclusion one of the other hunters to expand the universe of Metroid.

.n_n.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm not throwing in the towel. I still hold on to the belief that he will be playable. I'm merely stating that we're probably reaching the end.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley was an E3 2014 reveal character, actually. Imagine if K. Rool, Ridley, and say some random-ish character were confirmed at the same time as newcomers there. That would be so hype. Plus the "chemistry" between K. Rool and Ridley would be drop dead hilarious; you have the wonkiest Nintendo villain and the most intimidating Nintendo villain together. What could possible go wrong right=??? :chuckle:

Back on the subject though, I think at best Ridley is like 2 1/2 months out from a reveal, at worst he'll be revealed in late 2014.
It's been well over an hour since the last post. Only 8 people are viewing the thread.

We've passed critical mass, people.
Thankfully most of the idiots have left! :)

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Yet again I'll say it: Sakurai's quote is in no way a confirmation of Ridley being a stage hazard, so there's no need to act like it's all but confirmed.

Either way, glad to see that Miiverse is showing support, I imagined that they wouldn't show support based on I don't see Ridley having much popularity there.

Btw, does anyone have Sakurai's full japanese quote from the picture in english? I'd love to see everything in context the way it's meant to be.
I'm not saying Ridley is confirmed a stage hazard, I'm saying within the context of the picture, it's caption and what happened in Other M, the most likely scenario is that Ridley will appear as a stage hazard. Does that mean he can't be playable? No, not necessarily.

BAD GOOGLE TRANSLATION:

One piece of today.
New stage introduction Omomuroni.
From "Metroid Other M", Pyro Sphere!
Trauma of Sams also may appear.

If this is even partially true the general meaning behind the English and Japanese is essentially the same. But it does not 100% equate to only a stage hazard or even a stage hazard at all. Sakurai really could be playing with all of us and setting us up for a character reveal.

Actually, the Donkey Kong in 75 meters is Cranky Kong from the Donkey Kong Country Serires. In the games Cranky tells you "back in his day he had to kidnap maidens and throw barrels." But he is now retired and the current Donkey Kong we have now is the grown up DK Jr.

For all intents and purposes the Donkey Kong in 75 meters is as much as the Donkey Kong as Super Metroid Ridley is to Ridley in Other M. I think everyone knows who Cranky Kong is and was, but that wasn't my point. If 2 separate Donkey Kong's mean nothing in Smash then hopefully 2 separate Ridley's can mean the same thing. That's why I said I still have hope.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Next up: Little Mac is actually a stage hazard on the boxing ring stage
Given how stupid half the people here are, I'm surprised they haven't reached that conclusion.

Or that because there is a Villager in the background of Smashville 2 that the Villager is now deconfirmed.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Given how stupid half the people here are, I'm surprised they haven't reached that conclusion.

Or that because there is a Villager in the background of Smashville 2 that the Villager is now deconfirmed.

GUYS! It's a bummer... Toon Link won't return because of Spirit Tracks stage, he's a stage hazard there.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also, Sakurai's post might have been referring to Ridley appearing Other M (or Project Other M, Project M, or Other Other M, or just M) instead of Ridley appearing in Smash Wii U.

But nope, everyone has to be total idiots and jump to conclusions about everything per usual.
You all remember how unlockable characters worked in SSB64/SSBM?
You fight them on a specific stage first, KO them, then get them added to your roster. Mr. Game & Watch appears on his home stage (Flat Land World Place), Young Link at his home stage (Termina Bay), Luigi at Mushroom Kingdom II... etc etc

So~ what if Sakurai means that that stage is where you'd encounter Ridley to unlock him? It's a very slim chance that's what he's referring to... but you never know :)
This is a possibility 99% of the idiots jumping to conclusions haven't thought of, yet are very obvious.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Also, Sakurai's post might have been referring to Ridley appearing Other M (or Project Other M, Project M, or Other Other M, or just M) instead of Ridley appearing in Smash Wii U.

But nope, everyone has to be total idiots and jump to conclusions about everything per usual.

This is a possibility 99% of the idiots jumping to conclusions haven't thought of, yet are very obvious.

Yeah, I was part of that boat until the hype went down I became rational.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have to agree about Anthony, he doesn't have much to him to make him that good a Metroid candidate for me, especially since most of his popularity does come from the meme and not the character itself.
Kinda like how most of Waluigi's popularity does come from Brawl in the Family webcomic and not the character himself, right?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
GUYS! It's a bummer... Toon Link won't return because of Spirit Tracks stage, he's a stage hazard there.
Donkey Kong won't return because he's on 75M (and because mur relevancy).

Mario won't return because he's the referee in Punch-Out!! and Mario Tennis (effing that guy headbutted me and the shot was out of bounds).

Mr. Game & Watch won't return because he's on Flat Zone 1 and 2 (firemen! You're supposed to put out the fire, not grow it!!!).

ROB won't return because he's a SSE enemy (instead, Primids will be playable).

Luigi won't return because his house is haunted (by the smell of Wario's onion gas).

And the Wii Fit Trainer won't return because she doesn't have body fat (Mario only likes characters with body fat).

:troll:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong won't return because he's on 75M (and because mur relevancy).

Mario won't return because he's the referee in Punch-Out!! and Mario Tennis (effing that guy headbutted me and the shot was out of bounds).

Mr. Game & Watch won't return because he's on Flat Zone 1 and 2 (firemen! You're supposed to put out the fire, not grow it!!!).

ROB won't return because he's a SSE enemy (instead, Primids will be playable).

Luigi won't return because his house is haunted (by the smell of Wario's onion gas).

And the Wii Fit Trainer won't return because she doesn't have body fat (Mario only likes characters with body fat).

:troll:
Speaking about Luigi, he wasn't announced at the same time than a new Mario/Luigi's Mansion stage, so why Ridley should have to be ^^ ?

nessokman

Smash Lord
Bah... whatever, yeah Metroid has two reps in the looks of Sakurai (I still count Samus and ZSS the same character because is the same persona), but still I can´t pass the idea that StarFox, Kirby and Fire Emblem have three reps when Donkey Kong and Metroid (both series in my eyes more important) have only two characters each, is like throwing those franchises from the window.

Like I say before, Metroid has more reps than only Samus and Ridley, they have Dark Samus, Noxus, Spire, Kanden, Sylux, Trace, Weavel and Anthony Higgs (should I even say the six hunters are playable in multiplayer mode in Metroid Prime Hunters) and if you will say "but they appear in only one game except Dark Samus", I will call that BU.....HIT Lucas has only appear in one game the same with Ice Climbers, so no, because a character that appear in one game is less important is not an argument.

.n_n.
FE has 2 per game, same number as metroid in brawl, but after awakening's outstanding sales and popularity, we could get 3.(wouldn't be over representation). The thing a out Lucas was he was in a very recent game, and that game did amazingly in Japan.most of who you mentioned ( excluding Ridley and DS, weren't that mega important, were in one old(ER) game.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Need I remind you that the stage is based off of the arena in which Ridley is battled against in Other M? Mother Brain was fought in a different arena! That single piece of evidence suggests that it is indeed Ridley who will make an appearance (in a facet yet to be determined).
Additionally, one cannot say for certain whether or not Samus is traumatic about Mother Brain; one CAN say that she is deathly afraid of Ridley! My proof? Other M! Samus' trauma may indeed refer to Mother Brain, but the evidence definitely favors Ridley in this scenario!
Your move, Mr. God Robert's Cousin.
Aha, but you seem to be forgetting that there are known examples of hazard characters appearing not where they should be! Cresselia makes an appearance in Spear Pillar while the Ultimate Chimera makes an appearance in New Pork City, despite each being native to Fullmoon Island and the Chimera Lab, respectively. Additionally, the known appearance of Kraid in Lower Brinstar does not match up to its origins, as it appeared in the section known as Kraid in the original Metroid and Zero Mission where as its arena resembles nothing of that of its tropical habitat in Super Metroid. This therefore disproves your evidence that a creature must originate in its arena to make an appearance in it.
While you may raise a point with Samus' trauma potentially not resonating from Mother Brain, you lack true evidence to prove your reasoning. Samus' trauma had never existed in prior Ridley encounters. Her submissive demeanor did not appear until after Mother Brain destroyed the only thing she currently kept precious to her heart. It was not until after that incident that Samus had any sort of monologued madness mantra, taking the form of her sheer shock at The Baby's death. This suggests the trauma she had when facing Ridley was not genuine fear of encountering Ridley himself, but the fact that his encounter was so surprising in her already weakened mental state. Therefore, Mr. Groose, your current evidence does not favor Ridley as the culprit!
You are making this quite too easy for me, my friend. Let us end this trial before your investment leaves you disappointed from your loss.​

(Also this is really fun please don't stop)

Top Bottom