• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

CalumG

Smash Lord
Cue the war cries of "but Wii Fit Trainer took Ridley's spot!".

You mean awesome character ideas that could be unique and unlike anything that we've done before=???

Yeah, let's get more half-a**ed clones instead because some random guy on the internet said so!
When did I say I wanted more clones? I didn't. Stop putting words in my mouth. Did you ever stop to consider that if Sakurai doesn't include Ridley, it's because he's doing so to make room for other unique characters and not more clones? Ridley not being included doesn't mean some half-arsed clone is going to take his place. I don't even know where you pulled that from, to be honest.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hard to argue with that, from me.

I like the fan service... The cutscenes up until the Tabuu thing, the trophies, a lot of the music. But beyond that, I don't feel happy with my purchase, either. :/
The community via mods and hacks ultimately prevented me from selling my Wii and my copy of Brawl. However, I still haven't played vanilla Brawl since 2009.

Speaking of which, if the Big R is playable, he's gonna have some awesome mods and hacks, specifically of the texture variety. :lick:
Battle revolution had no story mode.
Twas my point good Swamp Sir. ;)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The fact that people believe the absence of fan favorite characters isn't a legitimate Smash game criticism is baffling to me.
Well obviously it's a criticism. A good one at that. But that shouldn't be the be all end all factor for your purchase is all i'm saying. I'm excited regardless of what happens. Unless of course **** hits the fan and Sakurai messes everything up.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When did I say I wanted more clones? I didn't. Stop putting words in my mouth. Did you ever stop to consider that if Sakurai doesn't include Ridley, it's because he's doing so to make room for other unique characters and not more clones? Ridley not being included doesn't mean some half-arsed clone is going to take his place. I don't even know where you pulled that from, to be honest.
Well which potential newcomer has more potential than Ridley=??? The only character that comes close in K. Rool. Quite frankly, we could use both of them for more weight variety, seeing as how a little 5'6 skinny 140 pound Japanese swordsman is considered a heavyweight.

I mean, going down the list of top characters, we got no (potential new playable character related) relevant Mario, Zelda, Metroid (sans Ridley), Kirby, F-Zero, MOTHER, or Fire Emblem characters that are even in the conversation with being anywhere nears as unique as Ridley.

If you can name off like 10 newcomers that add more than Ridley could in terms of potential, then please, inform me of their existence.
The fact that people believe the absence of fan favorite characters isn't a legitimate Smash game criticism is baffling to me.
Especially if the game is as baseless, poorly balanced, and dull as a Brawl.

Speaking of which, I still don't see how Brawl got a "free pass" with the SSE being a waste of everyone's time and being absolutely a disaster, Meta Knight being knowingly broken from before the game was released, tripping being one of the dumbest mechanics in a video game ever, the online being as dry as a desert in terms of content, and just the online connection sucking due to massive lag because Nintendo used a bunch of AOL Version negative 5 dial-up servers.

That game should have gotten like 7/10's and 8/10's tops from the major media, not 9/10's and 10/10's galore, just from those points alone. Famitsu giving Brawl a 10/10 was a joke, and shows how much of a joke that magazine's rating system has become.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All I can say, is that tomorrow morning, when I wake up and check the Smash Bros. website, I am hoping, praying even, to see Ridley with a shiny trailer and screens. Otherwise, if he is shown to be a stage hazard, the feels from this thread will be so saddening, I don't know that anyone will survive the tsunami of tears that will break out of this thread.

For tonight, I propose we make a toast to Ridley. TO RIDLEY!!!!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well obviously it's a criticism. A good one at that. But that shouldn't be the be all end all factor for your purchase is all i'm saying. I'm excited regardless of what happens. Unless of course **** hits the fan and Sakurai messes everything up.
Caveat of 'everyone's entitled to their opinions' aside, I think it's perfectly reasonable for popular characters to be the dominant factors in gamers' decisions to buy Smash games when the series exists as we know it due to the inclusion of such characters. Personally, I'm not going to lay down over half a thousand dollars (for a Wii U, TV and accessories) for a game just because its gameplay and characters aren't godawful.

TO RIDLEY!

CalumG

Smash Lord
Well which potential newcomer has more potential than Ridley=??? The only character that comes close in K. Rool. Quite frankly, we could use both of them for more weight variety, seeing as how a little 5'6 skinny 140 pound Japanese swordsman is considered a heavyweight.
How exactly do you measure which character has more "potential"? That doesn't even make sense. I could sit here all day listing characters I personally believe could offer more to Smash than Ridley (and believe me, there are plenty) but how much "potential" a character has comes entirely down to the individual. A character is only as unique as their execution.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's hoping Sakurai is just to biggest and most successful troll in the world.

TO RIDLEY!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Especially if the game is as baseless, poorly balanced, and dull as a Brawl.

Speaking of which, I still don't see how Brawl got a "free pass" with the SSE being a waste of everyone's time and being absolutely a disaster, Meta Knight being knowingly broken from before the game was released, tripping being one of the dumbest mechanics in a video game ever, the online being as dry as a desert in terms of content, and just the online connection sucking due to massive lag because Nintendo used a bunch of AOL Version negative 5 dial-up servers.

That game should have gotten like 7/10's and 8/10's tops from the major media, not 9/10's and 10/10's galore, just from those points alone. Famitsu giving Brawl a 10/10 was a joke, and shows how much of a joke that magazine's rating system has become.
My opinions on Brawl are middling, but honestly, it doesn't matter how many blatantly bad development, content or gameplay decisions are made, the sycophants previously alluded to in this thread will handwave them all away with the "it's still a good game" excuse. I consider this an absolute cop-out; it's still a good game in relation to what? To Other M? Hell yes. To another fighting game I could be playing? Maybe not. To the game it could have been with a series of minor changes? Again, maybe not.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know...the more I think about it...the more I think Sakurai could mean a billion different things by that quote.

It's very possible that we could get a Ridley confirmation in the coming days. This doesn't actually prove anything whatsoever. It's easily arguable that he'll be a stage hazard in the stage, but then again, there is a difference in how Sakurai mentioned Viridi and Ridley.

In the stage reveal in which he mentioned Viridi, he mentioned her by name. If she were going to be playable, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have revealed her along with an honorable mention if she were going to be playable.

However, think about how Sakurai worded his post. Not once did he say Ridley by name. He simply hinted to him. With this in mind, I actually have reverted to a complete 180 and believe that Ridley is going to be playable.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I'mma bit late to the party but I'm still hopeful that a character reveal will showcase a trailer where Ridley bursts through that unexplained hole in the Pyrosphere. It just seems like it's asking for Ridley to pop through there...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly predicting Ridley will show up during the next Nintendo Direct, and Sakurai's trolling, but we'll see.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
10 pages since I went to sleep, not really gonna bother reading them through, so let me guess: detractors decided to pop in?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How exactly do you measure which character has more "potential"? That doesn't even make sense. I could sit here all day listing characters I personally believe could offer more to Smash than Ridley (and believe me, there are plenty) but how much "potential" a character has comes entirely down to the individual. A character is only as unique as their execution.
Well, you list all the moves that it could feasible do (specifically unique-ish ones), think of all the way he could play (playstyle), and think of all the potential skillsets he could have.

Just look up all the stuff in this thread and compare it to any other thread, and no other thread will have anywhere near as many unique ideas for a potential newcomer.

EDIT: 12,000th post, w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He should just carry around that wall and use it as his stage entrance.

Geez, woke up to over 400 messages here. I wonder if Sakurai just wants to humble Ridley fans since we've probably been the biggest *******s in the speculation scene, lol.
Tell me about it. I got 516 updates since last night alone. Most of them being from the idiocy spreading around.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Caveat of 'everyone's entitled to their opinions' aside, I think it's perfectly reasonable for popular characters to be the dominant factors in gamers' decisions to buy Smash games when the series exists as we know it due to the inclusion of such characters. Personally, I'm not going to lay down over half a thousand dollars (for a Wii U, TV and accessories) for a game just because its gameplay and characters aren't godawful.
I'm going to have to buy a $200 or something like that 3DS, a $350 or $400 Wii U, a better HDTV, a $40 copy of Smash 3DS, a $60 copy of Smash Wii U, maybe like $30 on some 3DS control stick doohicky, like $200 on 4 Wii U controllers, etc.

That is a huge investment, especially for a poor college student like me, so damn straight I want the best game possible.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know...the more I think about it...the more I think Sakurai could mean a billion different things by that quote.

It's very possible that we could get a Ridley confirmation in the coming days. This doesn't actually prove anything whatsoever. It's easily arguable that he'll be a stage hazard in the stage, but then again, there is a difference in how Sakurai mentioned Viridi and Ridley.

In the stage reveal in which he mentioned Viridi, he mentioned her by name. If she were going to be playable, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have revealed her along with an honorable mention if she were going to be playable.

However, think about how Sakurai worded his post. Not once did he say Ridley by name. He simply hinted to him. With this in mind, I actually have reverted to a complete 180 and believe that Ridley is going to be playable.
I was thinking something similar.

The wording is odd, especially compared to other characters he's mentioned like Epona, for instance.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know, what if Sakurai merely referred to what happened in Other M. I mean, with stage reveals he usually talk about what happened in the games, like with the Kid Icarus stage.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, looking at the screenshot more closely, that thing on the upper right appears to be a hole in the wall, not the misshapen blob I previously thought it was.

If Ridley's not a stage hazard, what purpose would that hole serve?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, no matter what comes out of this, I just hope we stay as a cohesive unit of close-knit brothers-in-arms, of sorts. The comradery formed by Ridley supporters is still Strong to this day. I'd even say that this comradery is too big. One thread can't even contain it. When SSB4 speculation started to come into full swing, many old friends came out of the wood-works with one goal in mind: to support Ridley's inclusion. Now in our darkest hour, we stand united, up against one of Ridley's most dire situations in recent speculation history. Fools like Dedekong and Vaztor are already gloating about their "victory" on Gamefaqs, but we're better than that. Whatever comes out of the next character update, or even tomorrow's pic-of-the-day, we can all say one thing: it was a good ride. Let's just hope that ride doesn't end with all of us losing the bonds that we've formed, despite our differences. And to that I say, TO RIDLEY.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know, what if Sakurai merely referred to what happened in Other M. I mean, with stage reveals he usually talk about what happened in the games, like with the Kid Icarus stage.
I think this is another possibility.
Also, looking at the screenshot more closely, that thing on the upper right appears to be a hole in the wall, not the misshapen blob I previously thought it was.

Aesthetic purposes?

CalumG

Smash Lord
How about everybody just chills the hell out

Jesus Christ

You'd have thought Sakurai had just announced George Zimmerman as a playable. Ridley's not even deconfirmed yet, I don't know what all of the doom-preaching and "let us band together in our final hour" bs is all about.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How about everybody just chills the hell out

Jesus Christ

You'd have thought Sakurai had just announced George Zimmerman as a playable. Ridley's not even deconfirmed yet, I don't know what all of the doom-preaching and "let us band together in our final hour" bs is all about.
Because toasting Ridley is fun.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
All this TO RIDLEY! talk has me imagining we're all at a bar drinking away any Sorrows we might have, reminiscing over the.. well, the times. But I probably wouldn't drink so I'd have to listen to everyone be sad without the aid of alcohol to make it easier to bear. But I will Shoulder it all because I am your leader because I told everyone how Strong I am and I probably have to drive you all home or something and I go to the car to get the air conditioning going and I find a dead opossum in there but it turns out to be the Opossum got left behind because he was too young to drink and it got too hot in the car god dAMN THIS RAMEN WHY IS IT DIFFICULT TO EAT.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

As I've said some times previously in this thread, Ridley doesn't fit through that hole in Other M. The rift that you see in the image is throughout the whole Other M fight, however, when Ridley escapes Samus he breathes fire at it, widening it and making it a circle hole so that he can escape. He widens it because he doesn't fit through it regularly, so obviously he wouldn't fit through the rift as a stage hazard here either. Most definitely just there as a nod to the original location.

Hong

The Strongest
Plot twist: Every arena takes place on a different part of Ridley's body.

We have been fools all along.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
A HOLE'S A GOT DANG HOLE WHY WOULD THEY EVEN TRY TO GET IT SPOT-ON IM SO SAD BUT ITS NOT EVEN ABOUT RIDLEY I WANTED TO GO TO WALMART TO BUY SOME POPTARTS OR A LOAF OF BREAD OR SOMETHING BUT I DUNNO HOW TO WORK THE LIGHTS IN MY FRIENDS CAR SO IM EATING RAMEN *throws something nonbreakable at the emptiest section of a room and goes to pick it up and throw it away because I'm a good little maid and cute too I'd probably like do a little bounce as I picked it up and do a little twirl and skip when I turned around to go to the trash can yeah so freaking adorable*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A HOLE'S A GOT DANG HOLE WHY WOULD THEY EVEN TRY TO GET IT SPOT-ON IM SO SAD BUT ITS NOT EVEN ABOUT RIDLEY I WANTED TO GO TO WALMART TO BUY SOME POPTARTS OR A LOAF OF BREAD OR SOMETHING BUT I DUNNO HOW TO WORK THE LIGHTS IN MY FRIENDS CAR SO IM EATING RAMEN *throws something nonbreakable at the emptiest section of a room and goes to pick it up and throw it away because I'm a good little maid and cute too I'd probably like do a little bounce as I picked it up and do a little twirl and skip when I turned around to go to the trash can yeah so freaking adorable*
Never change, Oasis. Never change. :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As I've said some times previously in this thread, Ridley doesn't fit through that hole in Other M. The rift that you see in the image is throughout the whole Other M fight, however, when Ridley escapes Samus he breathes fire at it, widening it and making it a circle hole so that he can escape. He widens it because he doesn't fit through it regularly, so obviously he wouldn't fit through the rift as a stage hazard here either. Most definitely just there as a nod to the original location.
Actually, that hole isn't there before he escapes.

Unless I'm missing something.

Top Bottom