• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Because what in the world would teasing a stage boss/hazard accomplish? It still makes no sense no matter what the outcome. All Ridley will be as a stage boss/hazard is a glorified piñata, and that isn't how Ridley supporters want him represented in the slightest.

You better have not just come here to gloat
No, I actually really wanted him in the game as Metroid is my favorite Nintendo series. However, I had realistic expectations and that's why I'm not overreacting like some of the people in here. I understand being upset but the threats against Sakurai and claiming the game sucks now is stupid.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
You know, I wouldn't be so mad... if it wasn't for people like you.
If it was any other character, I would have been over it yesterday. But no, this is Ridley, who is ALWAYS THE ****ING EXCEPTION. Now that he's not in, now that he'll never get in people like you can parade all over us. And that kind of smugness is pathetic.Though I should say one more thing.
Doesn't going into a disconfirmed character's thread and rubbing it in count as trolling?
I feel the same way. I was dreading a disconfirmation not because of Ridley - though disappointing, I accepted the possibility of no Ridley a while back - but because I knew that if he wasn't in, there was another half decade (at the very LEAST) of Ridley fans getting stepped on again.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So.. should this thread be locked till everyone calms down?
Given the number of pages, the thread was going to get locked as it is.

Again, I have to repeat, try and stay positive. It's only a game, no matter how awesome it is, and no matter how many of your favorites got in.

I'm glad to see some people take the news like champs.

But a bunch of people on both sides are acting like kids. But it's expected. That's what really disappoints me. More so than any character not making it into the game.

SuperMehtroid

Smash Rookie
You might want to learn the English language.
Oh so sorry kind sir, let me reword that. Laugh out loud brethren, you are so anally aggravated and wrong that it would be best for you to change your signature where it says Sm4sh: RIDLEY because Ridley is not in the game.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
From Neogaf where things like this are extremely frowned upon.

We'll see, time will tell. Though I'm fully expecting character DLC anyway.
Let's just say that that'd completely ruin Nintendos reputation, so i really, REALLY doubt it. Especially with all the "Starting rosters are the same!" going on. Keep calm guys, and lets go out like gentleman. There is still no video or live maction of unlocked ROB though.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Now this thread's getting flooded with thousands of Ridley detractors. And how could I not be angry? Please, explain to me how I could avoid being angry about this rip-off? Ridley deserved to make it, and now there's tons of people rubbing salt on the wound and going 'I told you so' like they're so clever, when they're just being plain mean and hateful.
My my, what glorious salt! Oh how all this butthurt is very amusing to my eyes. ...Oh, don't mind me, I'm just wandering around. Going from thread to thread and all. But before I leave you all, I must say this.

Do you honestly think complaining will do anything? Do you really think sitting here and calling Nintendo the devil will somehow change fate? It's done. It's over. The roster is shown. Boycotting, breaking, or anything else your crafty mind consider won't do nothing. The game is finished. You either accept that fact and move on, or wallow in misery. And only one option brings out a positive outcome.

But, who am I to force my opinion? So go on, just keep complaining, see where it gets you.
What a way to kick the dog. Maybe you could be a little sensible and try to understand what real fans of the character are going through? Do you go to a funeral and scream 'HEY GAIZ HE'S DEAD TIME TO MOVE ON WHO NEEDS GRIEVING AMIRITE?' Yes, I do have my priorities straight and I understand these are videogames, but we are SAD, DEPRESSED, some even BROKEN, could you, and ALL DETRACTORS at least try to show an ounce of respect? At least for today?
Overall, this game will still be relatively decent regardless of Ridley/no Ridley. Don't get too angry now. Especially @ D-idara D-idara Detractors want to see the salt flow through you.
This game will be 3/10 AT BEST without Ridley. And how could I be calm? I've already spent like half an hour screaming into a pillow and I'm still pissed off, and I don't think it's ever going to cool off.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Jesus some of theses comments are disgusting, Guys don't waste your breath responding to the trolls just report them and ignore them.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
- The spam
- The trolling/mocking
- The flaming

This place is a battlefield, but the Dorf Patrol is here to save the day.

Honestly, everyone should have expected an uproar, and there should be no surprise that this is getting locked down for now.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Yes, it happened. Yes, we probably should have expected it more than we did. And yes, the overreactions are just about where I gauged they'd be.

But no, I retain that this thread, the support, or any of the fanbase outcries/voicing their opinions on the matter were NOT a waste of time.

Ridley's died time and time again. But he never stays dead, for long anyway. The end for now is only the beginning for another phase. For now, we rest. Bide your time. Enjoy the game despite its flaws, as contrary to (not so) popular/vocal opinion, one character will not make/break it. It would have been 1,000 times better with him in it as playable, sure. Until we actually get word on the reason for his exclusion, or word that DLC is in fact a possibility, then Ridley speculation is over. That doesn't mean support is. However you interpret that is up to you.

Thank you all, I'm sorry, and I hope to see you around sometime soon on much better terms, my fellow Space Pirates/supporters. And yes, even you, detractors.

Ridley for Smash 4ever

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm going to say this exactly once.

Anyone posting here just to fans flames, goad/troll/bait people that are obviously upset on, or otherwise just spam this place ("I don't really care about Ridley but good riddance/he's better as a boss/insert collecting tears post/image/meme/gif" gets an automatic infraction.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I still have hopes for him being DLC. They could always pull an Alfonzo.
PS: Will we have to get a new thread soon or...?

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Wait...its back? Why? Ridley was deconfirmed already, so why is this thread suddenly alive, again?

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
*hack*

*cough*

*emerges from dust*

We back.

I actually really like how the lighting compliments Ridley's model. I can't explain it, but it looks nice. Shame his textures seem a bit blurry.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
I still have hopes for him being DLC. They could always pull an Alfonzo.
PS: Will we have to get a new thread soon or...?
They could also just add regular Ridley seeing that Roidly is a clone and all. But yeah the Alfonzo complex is always a possibility. Also is it just me or does it feel like this thread was resurrected from the dead?

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I also wanted Ridley in since Melee came out. However, this reveal during the livestream is as close as we can get to Ridley being a Smash-type character. This is better than him being an Assist Trophy, especially when you attack him enough, he fights on your side. I like how he even gives you a point if you KO him, and even has his own stock icon.

But hey who knows?

Just as Master Hand was able to be played as via some hacking or a leftover debug menu, Ridley may be playable the same way.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why this was reopened. Is this thread now to talk about Ridley's role as a stage hazard and how he looks like he was probably at one point planned to be playable? Because he sure as hell looks like a playable character.

But I still think Classicley has no chance of DLC, although I wouldn't mind it at all.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Lets not forget the hardships we've been through. Even though we lost Ridley, we must remember him for what he has done. He will be in pyrosphere and will be the best stage hazard you would ever see. He will be in our hearts!

RampagingRidley

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else realize that the Ridley shadow from the April direct is completely different than him as a stage hazard?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think this is the best possible thing they could have done with him without making him playable.

Seriously, I think it's really cool, and he seems like the best stage boss in the game.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be a special mode where you can play as the stage bosses, because he seems like he has a moveset of sorts, but would be too much for a normal character in his current state. Having a special mode for him and the other bosses would be more than welcome, though.

Only real downside to this IMO is that we get no Amiibo of him, at least not yet.

Does anyone else realize that the Ridley shadow from the April direct is completely different than him as a stage hazard?
That was a LONG time ago.

Games change over the course of development.

Last edited:

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
because mods likes us to talk about stuff we dont have nothing new to talk about... basically they laugh at us.

Anyways i just curious about how many more dlc characters will be on the way, but that will take time to reveal since they are already taking a lot of time just for mewtwo hehe :p

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Wait...its back? Why? Ridley was deconfirmed already, so why is this thread suddenly alive, again?
4 weeks ago, no trace whatsoever was found on the game aside from a trophy for Mewtwo. At the time that and his absence was enough "evidence" to convince us he wasn't in the game. Granted this is nowhere near the same situation, it reminded us never to rule anything out.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why this was reopened. Is this thread now to talk about Ridley's role as a stage hazard and how he looks like he was probably at one point planned to be playable? Because he sure as hell looks like a playable character.

But I still think Classicley has no chance of DLC, although I wouldn't mind it at all.
This thread still serves as the epicenter for all Ridley related discussion. Better to keep it all in one thread than 10+ new ones.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
The funny thing is that, between being able to be KO'd and functioning much the same way as any other fighter, Ridley is technically a character!

Just, you know, not a playable character! Ridley's the new Flying Man, holy crap!

I wouldn't put any money on Ridley having a chance at DLC, though. There's Alfonzo, a functionless background element, and there's Ridley, a full-friggin' stage-hazard unplayable-character hybrid. While it'd never beat being playable, I think this role still does Ridley plenty of justice as the coolest stage hazard in the game and the most fearsome character in the game's coding recognizing him as one!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What the f***? Why is this thread alive?! I-it cannot be! And it is pointless tbh, but oh well. At least they didn't just ripped his model from Other M and gave it blured textures so they would look HD. But he looks like he is made out of glass tbh. Moveset from what i've saw is Other M+Brawl. Im fine with it, but i would prefer if he would be faster (by 40%) and, well i don't know...PLAY as him or something. Not just have him annoy me or just fight alongside me like Assist Trophies do.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I still find it crazy how closely he resembles a player character. He even has his own KO icon. I mean I accepted he wasn't playable when the roster was confirmed, but even still. It feels like a kick in the nuts that Ridley is so close to being there, and he basically is there, but he isn't.

Aldri

Smash Cadet
While I had more hype for Mewtwo and still hope for Isaac, I would have been really happy if Ridley was playable. I would have loved to see the happiness explosion, and it's a bummer to see so many disappointed.

As it is, I'll play in pyrosphere a lot to see him.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
This thread still serves as the epicenter for all Ridley related discussion. Better to keep it all in one thread than 10+ new ones.
Isn't this thread going to spontaneously combust in 70 pages? It may be simpler just to make a new one.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
The issue here is not that they could not make ridley playable: They Obviously Could have, but the real reason is that they wouldn't in this case.
Take a look here

If they really wanted to, they could recycle some of his boss animations on another model. But I sadly do not think this will happen, as his role was VERY highly emphasized.

Booster

Smash Lord
Ridley should be made into DLC and have a unique gimmick of being Stamina based no matter the mode. When you play as him in the Pyrosphere, either a Ridley Clone or preferrably Bigley comes in instead

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Well, sucks that Ridley is'nt playable again this time around but hopefully we'll finally get lucky come next smash game. My condolences go out to all of you guys.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The funny thing is that, between being able to be KO'd and functioning much the same way as any other fighter, Ridley is technically a character!

Just, you know, not a playable character! Ridley's the new Flying Man, holy crap!

I wouldn't put any money on Ridley having a chance at DLC, though. There's Alfonzo, a functionless background element, and there's Ridley, a full-friggin' stage-hazard unplayable-character hybrid. While it'd never beat being playable, I think this role still does Ridley plenty of justice as the coolest stage hazard in the game and the most fearsome character in the game's coding recognizing him as one!
Yeah, its not going to be the case unless they add Classic Ridley or something. If Ridley is added a separate character, they wouldn't remove Hazardley. He definitely looks ok, but why go through the effort of making Ridley almost like a playable character and not making him fully playable? I honestly believe he was planned to be fully playable, but they couldn't quite get it working, maybe on 3DS or something had problems with Ridley's mechanics. I'm not sure.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The issue here is not that they could not make ridley playable: They Obviously Could have, but the real reason is that they wouldn't in this case.
Take a look here

If they really wanted to, they could recycle some of his boss animations on another model. But I sadly do not think this will happen, as his role was VERY highly emphasized.
Technically, those two aren't the same ape.

Retro Donkey Kong was Cranky Kong, if I'm not mistaken.

Top Bottom