• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zynux

Smash Lord
I object to that statement it has a large chance of showing if ridley is a character or a boss
Alright, but I wish you had a little more content to your post then. Just posting a link about an event we already knew was going to be taking place for I think 2 days now looks like spam; especially when you didn't relate it back to Ridley in the initial post (like predicting Ridley will appear/not appear, etc.).

For the past hour or two spam has gone up dramatically, even though we were initially very on-topic, so people need to keep it on the low.
I don't know how many of you have seen this but this is by far the best picture of ridley in my opinion
I'm just trying to not always be thinking about whether he's in or not
Yes, that is one of my favorites as well. Or any picture with Ridley vs. Samus.

One thing I really like about Ridley, especially fanart, is the multiple interpretations of his design. Ridley, both in the games and unofficial fanart seems to get way varying results in how he looks then other characters. It's very difficult in fanart to find two Ridley's that look the same, and I find that awesome.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Sorry if this is considered an off topic link but this comic perfectly exemplifies the detractor mentality: http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/2014/09/09/making-a-good-case/
Also I was thinking, if Ridley is playable, and he would have the whole "reverse Little Mac" play style, which characters do you think would be good or bad match ups against Ridley?
Yeah the idea of Ridley being a reverse Little Mac could work. Have him be a complete monster in the air. Yet he's a little clumsy and wonky on the ground. I can even see his special moves getting slightly properties once he's airborne.

Of course we can't really say for sure whether or not he'd fight like that. If Ridley's even playable. But that's a cool idea nonetheless, and it's fitting for Ridley.

Morbi

Scavenger

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
"Reverse Little Mac" play-style? Do you mean Jigglypuff's play-style? :troll:
Now all I can picture is a Ridley vs. Jigglypuff match... with Jigglypuff somehow beating the **** out of Ridley

What have you made me imagine?
What have you done!?!

In all seriousness tho, Ridley might play floaty like Jigglypuff is to compensate for not truly flying, but still has the aspects of a heavy fighter. (almost like a mix of bowser and jigglypuff. And now I just realized what a hideous abomination Bowsepuff would be:crazy:)

Zynux

Smash Lord
Anyone watching the stream? http://www.twitch.tv/x2__

They just mentioned Ridley! (While reading comments)

"Mario! Luigi! Ridley! ... Is too big! Go **** yourself!"

:(
If Ridley is deconfirmed, get ready to deal with that more often. They will praise Sakurai for his genius and continue to spout the "too big" nonsense. Then you will have the other side commenting on how we were delusional for the entire time.

Now all I can picture is a Ridley vs. Jigglypuff match... with Jigglypuff somehow beating the **** out of Ridley
Well of course. Fairy Types are super effective against dragon types. Know the lore :troll:

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I feel like the best scenario for Ridley "feels" with current known smash mechanics would be floats and maybe a second [maybe maybe MAYBE a third] mid-air jump. This would mean he could float, jump and float briefly at a new height.

As Peach's float cancels are gone (being able to cancel your float during attacks as to basically be able to throw out 50 aerials per second), it shouldn't be too bad.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace

What have you made me imagine?
What have you done!?!

In all seriousness tho, Ridley might play floaty like Jigglypuff is to compensate for not truly flying, but still has the aspects of a heavy fighter. (almost like a mix of bowser and jigglypuff. And now I just realized what a hideous abomination Bowsepuff would be:crazy:)
... And then Mewtwo knocks her off stage with a shadow ball while saying "Get that **** out of here this aint no Poke phyisics and thats for taking my spot in 64 b***"

... Sorry not really a fan of that overrated puffball.

Back on topic though think it would makes sense for Ridley to be floaty in the air and heavy on ground.

Last edited:

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
I feel like the best scenario for Ridley "feels" with current known smash mechanics would be floats and maybe a second [maybe maybe MAYBE a third] mid-air jump. This would mean he could float, jump and float briefly at a new height.

As Peach's float cancels are gone (being able to cancel your float during attacks as to basically be able to throw out 50 aerials per second), it shouldn't be too bad.
I was thinking maybe more jumps than :4charizard:but less than the kirby characters (can't remember the exact numbers)
I wasn't thinking so much as Peach's floating mechanic, but more of how light characters like Jigglypuff have jumps that carry them very far horizontally (she can go clear across huge stages without touching the ground) In this way Ridley stays airborne for long stretches of time without requiring the potential danger of ground time; although the few times he does land would be the opportune moment to attack Ridley.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
"Get that **** out of here this aint no Poke phyisics and thats for taking my spot in 64 b***"

Back on topic though think it would makes sense for Ridley to be floaty in the air and heavy on ground.
jiggly actually took Pit's spot, the team couldn't find a way to make the wings move correctly so he was axed and his jumpy jumps were given to Jiggs.
I'd like a more grounded air fighter, floaty heavyweights, i.e poor precious Mewtwo, aren't all that grand.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
If Ridley is deconfirmed, get ready to deal with that more often. They will praise Sakurai for his genius and continue to spout the "too big" nonsense.
Then I will happily remind them that they are praising a biased hypocrite by posting this every time the topic is brought up:

image.jpg

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking maybe more jumps than :4charizard:but less than the kirby characters (can't remember the exact numbers)
I wasn't thinking so much as Peach's floating mechanic, but more of how light characters like Jigglypuff have jumps that carry them very far horizontally (she can go clear across huge stages without touching the ground) In this way Ridley stays airborne for long stretches of time without requiring the potential danger of ground time; although the few times he does land would be the opportune moment to attack Ridley.
It would be interesting if his down A/B was his pogo tail attack, and when he hits the ground, he bounces back into the air with all his jumps and such re-charged, so he can stay airborne without even having to outright land. Would that be OP?

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
jiggly actually took Pit's spot, the team couldn't find a way to make the wings move correctly so he was axed and his jumpy jumps were given to Jiggs.
I never knew that, all I know is that Mewtwo's situation would be much more relaxing if he was in the first game.

Photoshopped from a render @Angelglory made a couple of pages ago.

I appreciate all the high quality Ridley renders people are making, but I think its time to stop cause its messing with our sanity!

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Multi jumping characters are not fair.
Like straight up.
They cause so many problems in every game.

There is no inherent fairness with a small sect of the cast literally being immune to significantly more combos/follows up purely by virtue of having more jumps (jumps are a 1 frame significant vertical boost option, compare to air dodges being 4 and making you a sitting duck). If you give those characters much of anything else (range/kill power/weight) you're making unassailable monsters that will ruin game balance.

A character that only stays in the air (Wario/Jigglypuff) have created play patterns/strategies that are not preferred by the general populace. When those characters choose not to fight you, there is no way to fight them.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario

So uh, real or fake?
Wasn't that same Ridley render posted like 10 or so pages back but the pic had a different opponent for Ridley and it wasn't blurry? If so, they either ripped the Ridley render off the other pic and put it on this pic or it's real.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

So uh, real or fake?
Where is this from?

Was taken with a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS, and saved through Photoshop CS6 (on a Mac). Can't really see anything too sus about it, but it's an awful photo. I would ask why there are bands across the blackout of the name though.

Wasn't that same Ridley render posted like 10 or so pages back but the pic had a different opponent for Ridley and it wasn't blurry? If so, they either ripped the Ridley render off the other pic and put it on this pic or it's real.
That was quite a different looking render. I'm not sure if this is a render already known, but it's different to that one, and unlike the other does look like a CGI render rather than handdrawn fanart.

Last edited:

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
Like straight up.

There is no inherent fairness with a small sect of the cast literally being immune to significantly more combos/follows up purely by virtue of having more jumps (jumps are a 1 frame significant vertical boost option, compare to air dodges being 4). If you give those characters much of anything else (range/kill power/weight) you're making unassailable monsters that will ruin game balance.
Well most of the flying characters have crappy recoveries and are easy to launch. And most flying characters are actually low tier, exception being Meta Knight, except that wasn't because of the flying mechanic. The smash team has done a pretty good job balancing these guys

Zynux

Smash Lord

So uh, real or fake?
Be on guard for fake leaks; until we get the real leaks these have been coming in droves.

Extremely blurry for no reason and looks like Angelglory model. Also, that unneccssary black bar raises more suspicions. Nothing to worry over; don't get your hopes up.

[
Like straight up.

There is no inherent fairness with a small sect of the cast literally being immune to significantly more combos/follows up purely by virtue of having more jumps (jumps are a 1 frame significant vertical boost option, compare to air dodges being 4 and making you a sitting duck). If you give those characters much of anything else (range/kill power/weight) you're making unassailable monsters that will ruin game balance.

A character that only stays in the air (Wario/Jigglypuff) have created play patterns/strategies that are not preferred by the general populace. When those characters choose not to fight you, there is no way to fight them.
Dedede having multiple jumps never made sense to me.

With that said, it's probably far too late. If Ridley does make it in, I can imagine him having a jumping system similar to Meta-Knight/Charizard.

Are you serious?
Don't take anything from it. It was from a stream only playing the demo. Ridley can't be confirmed from a demo.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

With that said, it's probably far too late. If Ridley does make it in, I can imagine him having a jumping system similar to Meta-Knight/Charizard.
Dedede's jumps are very short and he has the worst horizontal aerial mobility class in the game (Brawl). His aerials all have large start up (bar bair) and his game is still primarily ground focused.

Well most of the flying characters have crappy recoveries and are easy to launch. And most flying characters are actually low tier, exception being Meta Knight, except that wasn't because of the flying mechanic. The smash team has done a pretty good job balancing these guys
Well maybe in this game. Maybe.
But eh, MK without 5 jumps and without two glides would be a whole different beast (a significantly worse one). Him in the air would be ass. He has Dedede aerial mobility but his jumps actually give him good distance/boosts, and gliding has been the most overpowered mechanic in a Smash game to date (maybe Shine is better still).

Multi jumps just give you way more options than characters that don't have multiple jumps. If you want a character who is always in the air, you want something like Peach float or ROB Up-B (or aerial mechanics similar to Game and Watch). Not multiple jumps especially if you expect him to also be able to ucover entire stage lengths with his strides (that is NOT FUN TO DEAL WITH, have you seen Mewtwo in Project M?)

Last edited:

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
It would be interesting if his down A/B was his pogo tail attack, and when he hits the ground, he bounces back into the air with all his jumps and such re-charged, so he can stay airborne without even having to outright land. Would that be OP?
Maybe it could work like Toon Link's downA just with more power?

Don't take anything from it. It was from a stream only playing the demo. Ridley can't be confirmed from a demo.
Actually Dedede's jumps have a very canon reason for existing. I believe the lore is that when Kirby first beat Dedede, the king tried to copy Kirby's fighting styles in order to beat him the next time around, and that's why he flies and inhales like Kirby.
However in Smash, I've never actually had major problems with flying characters; to me they were just characters with a different mechanic that required a different strategy (just like any character)

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
You know what I say to people who say Ridley is too big? ....."Well Charizard is too ****ing fat".
(No offense to Charizard fans, I couldn't resist making that joke)
Have you seen Charizards neck, Looking at Ridley you can tell the poor thing hasnt eatin in years thanks to that twig vulture neck of his. Why do you think Roidly is so jacked up, ya need dat protein!

D

Deleted member

Extremely blurry for no reason and looks like Angelglory model.
To be fair, would an Other M Ridley not look like an Angelglory model at this point? Unless you mean it looks exactly like a render he made, in which case, no doubt it'd be fake then.

Not that I'm arguing it's real (I agree that the extreme brightness and censored player name is rather suspicious), just that I'm not quite sure "looks like an Angelglory model" holds much against it unless it literally is an Angelglory model.

EDIT:
Photoshopped from a render @Angelglory made a couple of pages ago.
Guess that settles that, then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Dedede's jumps are very short and he has the worst horizontal aerial mobility class in the game (Brawl). His aerials all have large start up (bar bair) and his game is still primarily ground focused.

Well maybe in this game. Maybe.
But eh, MK without 5 jumps and without two glides would be a whole different beast (a significantly worse one). Him in the air would be ***. He has Dedede aerial mobility but his jumps actually give him good distance/boosts, and gliding has been the most overpowered mechanic in a Smash game to date (maybe Shine is better still).

Multi jumps just give you way more options than characters that don't have multiple jumps. If you want a character who is always in the air, you want something like Peach float or ROB Up-B (or aerial mechanics similar to Game and Watch). Not multiple jumps especially if you expect him to also be able to ucover entire stage lengths with his strides (that is NOT FUN TO DEAL WITH, have you seen Mewtwo in Project M?)
So, you're proposing that a mechanic similar to Peach's float would be better? Not jumping, but more of a hover?

Maybe it could work like Toon Link's downA just with more power?
Actually Dedede's jumps have a very canon reason for existing. I believe the lore is that when Kirby first beat Dedede, the king tried to copy Kirby's fighting styles in order to beat him the next time around, and that's why he flies and inhales like Kirby.
However in Smash, I've never actually had major problems with flying characters; to me they were just characters with a different mechanic that required a different strategy (just like any character)
Oh, I'm well aware of the canon for Dedede's jumps, but I never felt a character like him should have them in Smash. But Shaya is right; even with his jumps he has more of a ground based game anyway.

To be fair, would an Other M Ridley not look like an Angelglory model at this point? Unless you mean it looks exactly like a render he made, in which case, no doubt it'd be fake then.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I immediately thought it was this (@ SchAlternate SchAlternate posted it too):

Also, it could just be my bias: not matter what Ridley's role in this game, I do not believe his model will look like it was ripped straight from Other M. Either more of a hybrid or a unique overhaul/update will take place (Like Samus' Other M Varia suit, which got a major overhaul).

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hate Other M Ridley. Horrendous. It's like he just crawled out of a nuclear waste bunker.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, that's what I mean. I immediately thought it was this (@ SchAlternate SchAlternate posted it too):

Also, it could just be my bias: not matter what Ridley's role in this game, I do not believe his model will look like it was ripped straight from Other M. Either more of a hybrid or a unique overhaul/update will take place (Like Samus' Other M Varia suit).
Yeah, I saw that by looking at the top of the page...

Also, technically, Angelglory's is not a direct rip. It's a touched-up edit of the model, with the original looking more like this:

Kind of hard to tell the difference outside of cleaning up the battle damage, but (unless my eyesight is tricking me) he altered the color shading and made "Roidley" more presentable overall.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
Oh, I'm well aware of the canon for Dedede's jumps, but I never felt a character like him should have them in Smash. But Shaya is right; even with his jumps he has more of a ground based game anyway.
Maybe they kept it in to respect the lore and to offset how heavy Dedede is (he can fall real fast sometimes).
Don't know if this would work but it would be neat if Ridley's up special was similar to Dedede's. Reason being is that I love jumping up then slamming down on fighters underfoot, and that might translate well into Ridley's potential play style (except of course a much more feral and sadistic version of the Super Dedede Jump)

Top Bottom