• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Honestly even without Ridley (which would suck) I really like this roster as of now, since the leak was true Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. and the rest of the veterans make this a solid roster and if Ridley was in it would be more than perfect.
I was under the impression that people hated that annoying beagle due to how many times his annoying ear-grating laugh pierced your ears just because the annoying Zapper didn't function properly 60% of the time....

Why have a roster be merely solid when you can super-heat it to be sparkling plasma?

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I was under the impression that people hated that annoying beagle due to how many times his annoying ear-grating laugh pierced your ears just because the annoying Zapper didn't function properly 60% of the time....

Why have a roster be merely solid when you can super-heat it to be sparkling plasma?
If you hate him then you can kill him :smirk:

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Warning Received
Except for people like me, who don't think Palutena deserved a slot, who don't care for Shulk, hate Pacman, are completely neutral on Rosalina, don't care for Lil Mac, are mildly amused by Megaman but as for more of a novelty, and are generally unexcited for any newcomer not named a ninja-frog, a mage, or a certain blue turtle, I can say this roster is, hands-down, okay for my tastes.
Hum.... whatever you say, but I think all of the newcomers are wonderful additions and bring something new to the table, minus Lucina of course cause she is a clone. Also, what do you mean by blue turtle?

Yes, finally sweet payback for all of those horrible times. >:)

Last edited by a moderator:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141

:troll:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
And then get my ass kicked online by people using him....I just don't see why people like the thing. Maybe it's atributed to my taste, which can be attributed to me being a classless gutter urchin!

Hum.... whatever you say, but I think all of the newcomers are wonderful additions and bring something new to the table, minus Lucina of course cause she is a clone. Also, what do you mean by blue turtle?
My problem with the roster is that it's largely humanoids I don't care about. If I wanted to go play as humanoids, I'd be playing Call of Fish. I won't deny that they seem interesting, but it doesn't masquerade the fact that I am plum-all bored by them, which can again be attributed to my gutter-taste. I mean, if I got to choose the roster for Smash, people would probably largely hate it...Regardless, Ridley is neither a human nor a sword-wielder, so he'd make this roster better for I.

And blue turtle = Larry Koopa, according to the leak that he's an alt for lil B.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace

dhd will be my future punching bag :p

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I can see Ridley being in with special abilities like Robin's air smashes. I can either see air pivoting or air grabs as one of his attributes.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
........nah, not starting a flame war :p
i love the mother series though. >w<
That's sensible. It's anyone's opinion. If he doesn't like EarthBound, that's fine. If you love EarthBound, that's fine too. And I love EarthBound too, thanks to Smash Bros!:ness64::nessmelee::ness2: But this is the Ridley thread. Talk about other characters is at the risk of being IsmaR'd, so back to Ridley we go! (Regarding Ness, loved his Specials. Especially "P.K THUNDER!! WWOOAAAH!!!" :p

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
i know were alll sick of leaks but what about this one http://ssb4dojo.com/post/97088710916/rumor-mill-hamber-leak
Gonna drop it, this is fake. Meta, sadly has no GK alt. I cry many bitter tears and shake my fist, but it is so.

Also, terribly sorry if I offended you Earthbound lovers, but I personally cannot stand to look at it for over 20 minutes. I really want to like it, believe me, but I just can't....

but none of that pertains to Ridley, a character that doesn't make me feel sick! So I'm rooting for Ridley!

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Warning Received
Note: "the best Smash Bros roster yet" only applies to people who even cares about them. Because I doubt 100% of people on this planet knows/cares for 100% of the roster or even 50% since 3/5 of the roster is newcomers and 1/3 of them are clones. Because I'm a person that likes to see newcomers I know little about, it gives me the chance to see what they do and who they are. :roymelee: :4pit: :snake: :4ridley: :troll: Despite how diverse the roster is, people not caring a whole lot about the roster I could understand that, because everyone has different opinions about who they care about.
Except this roster has almost everyone from Brawl, along with many new addition which were heavily requested. I feel the backpedal on this "not caring" card is a means to ignore all the unique, and interesting elements several of the newcomers offer. Just preferring to look at this a little more objectively. I know people have opinions on who they would prefer, but come on guys, lets be grateful for what we are being offered. My most wanted character for Smash since Melee is Chrono from Chrono Trigger, but I am supremely happy with what we have now. Perhaps you're apathetic for the inclusions, but I, and many others definitely think its the best for very good reasons.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
This will be the new 'You're to slow!!'. I was dissatisfied to hear Sonic doesn't say that phrase anymore, but if Mr. Peepers' laugh is a taunt and I get my Taunt Canels on point, oh my yes, I'll be set to make people angry online.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Except this roster has almost everyone from Brawl, along with many new addition which were heavily requested. I feel the backpedal on this "not caring" just preferring to look at this a little more objectively. I know people have opinions on who they would prefer, but come on guys, lets be grateful for what we are being offered. My most wanted character for Smash since Melee is Chrono from Chrono Trigger, but I am supremely happy with what we have now. Perhaps you're apathetic for the inclusions, but I, and many others definitely think its the best.
I'm going to equate the roster in an analogy...

You are invited to a wonderful new all-you-can-eat restaurant with a group of four of your closest fellow neckbeards. You go there, and they advertise new foods. You get really excited at the prospect of new food. However, as the new food is being prepared, you notice it has a bunch of carrots and crap you personally don't like. Sure, there's one or two potentially good meals, but largely, the new food is uninteresting. You go to the buffet and order the same food you usually have. Your fellow neckbeards look at you and call you a tool for not seeing the greatest of the new food.

And the following analogy is for Ridley...

After you and your neckbeards finish the main course, the chefs suddenly roll out a giant chocolate cake for dessert. Your fellow neckbeards, engorged by the new food, are unable to eat any cake, so you end up eating the entire cake like a fat arse. You laugh at your neckbeard friends for being unable to eat the delicious cake because they thought the new food was good.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750

You are invited to a wonderful new all-you-can-eat restaurant with a group of four of your closest fellow neckbeards. You go there, and they advertise new foods. You get really excited at the prospect of new food. However, as the new food is being prepared, you notice it has a bunch of carrots and crap you personally don't like. Sure, there's one or two potentially good meals, but largely, the new food is uninteresting. You go to the buffet and order the same food you usually have. Your fellow neckbeards look at you and call you a tool for not seeing the greatest of the new food.

After you and your neckbeards finish the main course, the chefs suddenly roll out a giant chocolate cake for dessert. Your fellow neckbeards, engorged by the new food, are unable to eat any cake, so you end up eating the entire cake like a fat arse. You laugh at your neckbeard friends for being unable to eat the delicious cake because they thought the new food was good.

Well... that was... quite the analogy :p
That actually kinda made sense... lol

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

Disagree, I see it more like this

My grievances would get me a warning, but it's mostly on how unique characters and semi-clones were cut in favor of full-blooded clones bordering on alternate costume levels.

But hey, Ridley and maybe Mewtwo are probably in, so that's neat.
Ice Climbers and Snake weren't cut because of the clones. Ice Climbers were cut because of the 3ds, and Snake because of the lack of Nintendo ties he has had. As for Lucas and Wolf, I don't care what people say, those were still semi clones. Lucina and Dark Pit's inclusions are equivalent to those two.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Ridley i still don't see why people doubt character like ridley or mewwtwo maybe because i'm optimistic but i don't any reason why they wouldn't be in

Zynux

Smash Lord
@ Modular Zeal Modular Zeal @ The King of Skulls The King of Skulls @Awesomedude4444 @ 08skidoosh80 08skidoosh80 @ Smashbro596 Smashbro596 and others I may have missed.

Wow. You just filled up half of the last page with off-topic character discussion shenanigans. :glare:

Cut it out.

(and this thread was doing well too)

Let's put this thing to rest, shall we? I watched the video, and I gotta say, the argument is a lot weaker than I thought it was.

It's pretty obvious from these pictures that it's Ridley's tail, not Pikachu's. You can see the tail distinctly separated from the shadowy mass thought to be Pikachu's body.

The video claimed that at the upper-right, Pikachu's shadow can be seen after he escapes the grab. Just Ridley's tail again.

Edit: Eh, this barely matters at this point. I'm not gonna make anymore posts about it and clog things up. I'm just gonna enjoy the community and all while we still can in this thread ^^
IMO, it barely matters anyway, as I don't really think it proves anything. It feels to me that we really over-analyzed this shadow, for better and for worse.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
Hi guys im new here. But there is a live stream of twitch for 3ds version. I haven't posted 10 times yet to be able to post a link though

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
Warning Received
Except for people like me, who don't think Palutena deserved a slot, who don't care for Shulk, hate Pacman, are completely neutral on Rosalina, don't care for Lil Mac, are mildly amused by Megaman but as for more of a novelty, and are generally unexcited for any newcomer not named a ninja-frog, a mage, or a certain blue turtle, I can say this roster is, hands-down, okay for my tastes.
See, I don't really get that sentiment, why would you "hate" any new member of smash? (Especially one as important as pac man)
If anything, seeing characters I don't know or had cared about before smash makes me even more interested about them.
The entire reason I fell in love with Nintendo is because smash introduced me to random characters that 6 year old me thought were "stupid" at first.
People who hate or think characters "don't deserve the slot" just haven't gotten to know the characters yet.
(I personally had never heard of Robin before this, and yet I'm looking forward to playing as him because I researched who he was and what makes him awesome!)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Terribly sorry, I got carried away...

So, in a theoretical world where Ridley was already confirmed by this point, what kind of promotional images would be under his character page?
By that you mean the fan art? Well, I see them doing something reminiscent of the box art of Metroid: Other M. That or something entirely unique.

Hi guys im new here. But there is a live stream of twitch for 3ds version. I haven't posted 10 times yet to be able to post a link though
Welcome to the thread! *Insert generic "enjoy your stay" and "don't drink the water" message coming your way*

Glad to see new members joining the thread, even in are final hours of the threads existence.

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
@ Modular Zeal Modular Zeal @ The King of Skulls The King of Skulls @Awesomedude4444 @ 08skidoosh80 08skidoosh80 @ Smashbro596 Smashbro596 and others I may have missed.

Wow. You just filled up half of the last page with off-topic character discussion shenanigans. :glare:

Cut it out.

(and this thread was doing well too)

IMO, it barely matters anyway, as I don't really think it proves anything. It feels to me that we really over-analyzed this shadow, for better and for worse.
ill stop, sorry.
ANYWAY, i really wanna see the japanese roster so i can be either a really happy or b disapointed. i see someone playing the demo. and everyone thats been confirmed thus far (barring lucina) are ONLY the starting roster!!
hang on to your asses, this is gonna get interesting.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Terribly sorry, I got carried away...

So, in a theoretical world where Ridley was already confirmed by this point, what kind of promotional images would be under his character page?
I should be sorry too, I've been a nagging 'un'moderator recently... ugh :urg:. But off-topic stuff just randomly spiked a page ago and I have no idea why.

With that said, obviously Other M promotional stuff. Like Samus, they will point you to the Other M website for sure.

We're all aware, but it's not entirely relevant to the Ridley thread. Also, we have no evidence to believe that a possible Ridley confirmation will take place during that time as well. So, we'll just have to see.

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Ooops, didn't realize this thread had a limit. Sorry guys.
By promotion, if you mean game promotion, it would most likely be Other M.
If it was art however, I think art of Ridley facing off against the Big 3 would make me die of excitment!

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
I should be sorry too, I've been a nagging 'un'moderator recently... ugh :urg:. But off-topic stuff just randomly spiked a page ago and I have no idea why.

With that said, obviously Other M promotional stuff. Like Samus, they will point you to the Other M website for sure.

We're all aware, but it's not entirely relevant to the Ridley thread. Also, we have no evidence to believe that a possible Ridley confirmation will take place during that time as well. So, we'll just have to see.
oh ok cool, just wanted to make sure

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
By that you mean the fan art? Well, I see them doing something reminiscent of the box art of Metroid: Other M. That or something entirely unique.
Like, each character has 8 or so in-game pictures that showcase them in rather silly/epic scenarios, like Lucina and Palutena relaxing on some stage or whatever, or greninja doing his water spout things from his hands.

See, I don't really get that sentiment, why would you "hate" any new member of smash? (Especially one as important as pac man)
If anything, seeing characters I don't know or had cared about before smash makes me even more interested about them.
The entire reason I fell in love with Nintendo is because smash introduced me to random characters that 6 year old me thought were "stupid" at first.
People who hate or think characters "don't deserve the slot" just haven't gotten to know the characters yet.
(I personally had never heard of Robin before this, and yet I'm looking forward to playing as him because I researched who he was and what makes him awesome!)
Largely because I find Pacman an uninspiring yellow blob who's only defining trait is eating things, similar vein to Mario in that his only defining trait is that he saves Peach and is Italian, but unlike Mario, Pacman doesn't have a supporting cast of characters that make him as a character more easily draw into. Part of the reason I like Mario is because I like Bowser and the Koopa Troop, and because Nintendo won't release a game centered 100% around Bowser, I have to play as Mario to interact with them, so by extension, I like Mario. Pacman has...the ghosts? Yeah, I just don't 'get' Pacman like I don't 'get' new-age music or my 3-d Art teacher's love of collages. I'm also really salty because I wanted the Namco rep to be Nightmare from Soul Calibur, but I digress because it was obvious it was Pacman.

As for Palutena, I'm against her because I told my friend she was not getting in due to her being relatively unimportant in the grand scope of the universe of Nintendo, but damn it all I was wrong and now I feel like a sod. She's also a humanoid, so by default I think her design is largely bland. It also hurts my opinion of her that the huge coup de grace of E3 WAS her reveal, which everyone in a 5 mile radius should've seen coming. Like, I sat in the sun at driver's ed on my little iphone hoping a character I was interested in was revealed.

By no means is the Roster 'bad' as of its current state, but it's not something I look at and decide I'd forsake my favorite dish(a nice Bowser Souffle) for something I know I don't care for, nor would likely care for after eating some of it(like Palutena Angel Cake or Duck Hunt Dog roasted Duck.)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Disagree, I see it more like this

Ice Climbers and Snake weren't cut because of the clones. Ice Climbers were cut because of the 3ds, and Snake because of the lack of Nintendo ties he has had. As for Lucas and Wolf, I don't care what people say, those were still semi clones. Lucina and Dark Pit's inclusions are equivalent to those two.
Spoiler'd cuz off-topic.
Lucas and Wolf had unique specials and Smash attacks that replicated the original, and made them feel and play more differently than Doc, Falco, or Ganondorf, who had at best, one unique attack that set them apart.

I'm not hardcore enough of a player to appreciate the subtle nuances of a slightly slower Mario or a Fox with better jumps, so I'm understandably miffed when Wolf's Specials and Lucas's Up/Down Smashes weren't good enough qualifiers for this Smash, but Falco's laser and Doc's pills are.

Plus, no matter how you cut it, time was devoted to the clone characters while time was taken away from making ICs work, or getting a highly requested character with tons of moveset potential in like K. Rool, Ganondorf, Ganon, Mewtwo, or (Worst-case scenario) Ridley.

The sadist in me really wants Other M Ridley and Mewtwo to make it in, just so that I can call Sm4sh "The Attack of the Clones".

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Gonna drop it, this is fake. Meta, sadly has no GK alt. I cry many bitter tears and shake my fist, but it is so.

Also, terribly sorry if I offended you Earthbound lovers, but I personally cannot stand to look at it for over 20 minutes. I really want to like it, believe me, but I just can't....

but none of that pertains to Ridley, a character that doesn't make me feel sick! So I'm rooting for Ridley!
Maybe his Galacta Knight alt is a unlockable? It's a bit of strawgrasping but I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai made some alt costumes unlockable at this point.

Back on topic though, if Ridley is in, which I'm sure he is at this point, his moveset will probably be the most brutal and fun in the game.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Like, each character has 8 or so in-game pictures that showcase them in rather silly/epic scenarios, like Lucina and Palutena relaxing on some stage or whatever, or greninja doing his water spout things from his hands.
Oh. Well, I don't know enough Metroid lore to think of something for Ridley to do, but all I can say is one of the pictures might be of the moment in the April Direct with Pikachu, and for the lolz, one where Ridley's standing in front of Sammy and he's under the effects of a Super Mushroom and Samus with a Poison Mushroom. :troll:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Maybe his Galacta Knight alt is a unlockable? It's a bit of strawgrasping but I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai made some alt costumes unlockable at this point.

Back on topic though, if Ridley is in, which I'm sure he is at this point, his moveset will probably be the most brutal and fun in the game.
If lo and behold you can unlock the meagerie of fun collectible costumes like Galacta Knight and Dry Bowser, then la-de-dah, Nintendo didn't intentional skirt by a genius idea, instead forcing a time/commitment lock on it. If I think Galacta Knight looks hella baller, why should I have to complete X challenge to play as him?

Honestly, I'd consider maining Ridley if I didn't have my main already locked by me talking too much while playing MK8. So he can be the prime Vizier of my secondaries.

Top Bottom