• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
We really need to slow down (I'm not helping)
If we want this to be the Ridley general discussion

Question: If we reach 2000 pages before Ridley's confirmation, will we get a new Ridley thread? (I'm not going to be the OP)
I can't wait for the R-sub forum
I suppose we'll need one. That, or just post in a buggy thread that does....what does it do? What exactly happens when the thread bugs out?
But yeah, can't wait either. We could have an "I've been wrong" thread, an AndreaAC-praising art thread (it's practically the same), it's going to be so much fun!

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I suppose we'll need one. That, or just post in a buggy thread that does....what does it do? What exactly happens when the thread bugs out?
But yeah, can't wait either. We could have an "I've been wrong" thread, an AndreaAC-praising art thread (it's practically the same), it's going to be so much fun!
Ridley fun party birthday thread
I was right thread (run by @Phaazoid )
Ridley alt costumes thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Inb4 Sakurai reveals the boss to be a different character to generate hype then reveals Ridley.

I'm unsure what to think atm. People saying 'he hasn't been disconfirmed yet and he doesn't like to lead people on' need to remember that Ridley isn't as big of a deal to this game as this board makes out. He's a character that is only popular in the more hardcore portion of the western community. So it's not like the majority of the global fan base will outcry if he's a boss.

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
Actually, we're applying patterns to the Nintendo marketing teams. Who are far more predictable and have acted without Sakurai to disconfirm characters at several points.

From a marketing standpoint, this entire tease makes no sense if Ridley isn't playable. Revealing him at a stage boss a year ago would have been poorly received, but would have been seen as just a tease and a disconfirm. Most people would move past it.

Teasing the fanbase for over a year, giving them no official word for that long, then dropping the "boss" reveal on them just as the game releases in Japan, would hurt the game sales. You're going to argue "oh, no one would actually give up Smash for that". But they would. People would feel mocked, betrayed, and humiliated by Nintendo for over a year, and they would have that feeling right at the worst possible time, directly before release (when it's out in Japan, but not over here). Not all, not even most of them, would boycott the game, but there are definitely going to be a small minority that are going to be so upset at this ****ish treatment by the entirety of Nintendo that they will boycott the game. It's going to happen, any marketing expert will tell you this, and it would be entirely Nintendo's fault, and easily avoided if they had bothered at any time to actually explicitly state anything.

This is part of why the explicit statements exist. This is why NINTENDO, not Sakurai, will come out and tweet that "oh, this character is actually not playable". Because they do not want people getting their hopes up at an ambiguous position, only to have those hopes crushed at the last possible instant, and the worst possible time for Nintendo.

In fact, while we're at it, let's point out that Sakurai wasn't the only one who performed the tease. The tease was made in a Nintendo Direct presentation. Despite what you may think, that's not just Sakurai sitting in front of a green screen going on an unscripted ramble. The marketing team and Nintendo undoubtedly reviews those, checks what scenes and images to pair with them, okays them for quality, works on scripting alongside Sakurai... You do realize that Sakurai is not the only person responsible for this game, right? Nintendo has huge teams, both in Japan and in America and Europe, working on these games. It's not just Sakurai, at any point.

Then too, Sakurai has specifically stated that he dislikes this situation personally. That he dislikes people getting hopeful, then getting their hopes crushed. Which, again, feeds in to his attempts to always clarify the fighters positions during every reveal. So even if it was just Sakurai, we would have reason to believe the obvious patterns in the behavior.

But since you're criticizing us for finding patterns, it seems your entire argument boils down to "Ridley breaks the pattern, Ridley is disconfirmed". With that "logic", I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this any further.
This honestly scares me...if Ridley isn't in it could really hurt Nintendo and they don't need that. Smash bros needs to be what helps them not hurts them.

Last edited:

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Fellow Space Pirates...I am losing the faith. I can't help but feel dread in the pit of my stomach.

PLEASE fellow Space Pirates! Help restore my faith! Is the writing on the wall or do we still have hope!

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Fellow Space Pirates...I am losing the faith. I can't help but feel dread in the pit of my stomach.

PLEASE fellow Space Pirates! Help restore my faith! Is the writing on the wall or do we still have hope!
The writing is on the wall
and the wall is green
the text is written in green blood
and it says "Ridley"

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
How do you guys think how will Ridley's fire balls will function. Will you be able to shoot them like mario's or will it be chargeable like Samus's Buster/Aura Sphere or will it be like the SuperScope?

Chase

Smash Ace
How do you guys think how will Ridley's fire balls will function. Will you be able to shoot them like mario's or will it be chargeable like Samus's Buster/Aura Sphere or will it be like the SuperScope?
I like to think it would be like a slower, less controllable PK Thunder if anything.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

Look at what SkyBlade12 said, an instant picker upper, and if that doesn't fix you up right and nice then go to the second post. Space pirates never falter.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Man....I leave this forum for a few days and everyone is feeling down......So what if Shulk made it in Smash and our Space Dragon Leader is nowhere in sight? This is no reason to give up.

Sakurai is WELL AWARE of the Ridley requests....and the Director is not shy to deconfirm characters and nothing stops the man from deconfirming Ridley in a POTD........Yet, Sakurai does not show us Ridley.....I wonder why?

I don't know about the Space Pirates here, but I am not throwing in the towel...not until the very end.
We made this far, fellow Space Pirates!!!
DON'T FALTER NOW!

BTW, The reason I missed this forum for a few days is because.......I am an uncle now :)

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Fast traveling, single projectile, does little damage for a few seconds after impact.

That would be cool.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Actually, we're applying patterns to the Nintendo marketing teams. Who are far more predictable and have acted without Sakurai to disconfirm characters at several points.

From a marketing standpoint, this entire tease makes no sense if Ridley isn't playable. Revealing him at a stage boss a year ago would have been poorly received, but would have been seen as just a tease and a disconfirm. Most people would move past it.

Teasing the fanbase for over a year, giving them no official word for that long, then dropping the "boss" reveal on them just as the game releases in Japan, would hurt the game sales. You're going to argue "oh, no one would actually give up Smash for that". But they would. People would feel mocked, betrayed, and humiliated by Nintendo for over a year, and they would have that feeling right at the worst possible time, directly before release (when it's out in Japan, but not over here). Not all, not even most of them, would boycott the game, but there are definitely going to be a small minority that are going to be so upset at this ****ish treatment by the entirety of Nintendo that they will boycott the game. It's going to happen, any marketing expert will tell you this, and it would be entirely Nintendo's fault, and easily avoided if they had bothered at any time to actually explicitly state anything.

This is part of why the explicit statements exist. This is why NINTENDO, not Sakurai, will come out and tweet that "oh, this character is actually not playable". Because they do not want people getting their hopes up at an ambiguous position, only to have those hopes crushed at the last possible instant, and the worst possible time for Nintendo.

In fact, while we're at it, let's point out that Sakurai wasn't the only one who performed the tease. The tease was made in a Nintendo Direct presentation. Despite what you may think, that's not just Sakurai sitting in front of a green screen going on an unscripted ramble. The marketing team and Nintendo undoubtedly reviews those, checks what scenes and images to pair with them, okays them for quality, works on scripting alongside Sakurai... You do realize that Sakurai is not the only person responsible for this game, right? Nintendo has huge teams, both in Japan and in America and Europe, working on these games. It's not just Sakurai, at any point.

Then too, Sakurai has specifically stated that he dislikes this situation personally. That he dislikes people getting hopeful, then getting their hopes crushed. Which, again, feeds in to his attempts to always clarify the fighters positions during every reveal. So even if it was just Sakurai, we would have reason to believe the obvious patterns in the behavior.

But since you're criticizing us for finding patterns, it seems your entire argument boils down to "Ridley breaks the pattern, Ridley is disconfirmed". With that "logic", I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this any further.
YES! Nice points! You keep my hopes up. I'm more sure than ever that Ridley will be in!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I know Shulk was requested here in America, but I'm pretty sure he was WIDELY requested in Japan, and he was revealed in a Japan only Direct. I'm still expecting a America only thing with Ridley. You know...Since we want him the most out of everyone.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, I just realized something about today's reveal.

Despite it being incredibly obvious in the trailer, Riki's role was never explicitly stated. All we knew was that he appeared to be part of Shulk's Final Smash, and that he also could appear in actual battles somehow. And would you look at that; the clarification of what exactly his role in the game is was the first thing that was shown off this week.

If I were to guess, I'd say that Metal Face will be shown off soon as well.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
We really need to slow down (I'm not helping)
If we want this to be the Ridley general discussion

Question: If we reach 2000 pages before Ridley's confirmation, will we get a new Ridley thread? (I'm not going to be the OP)
I can't wait for the R-sub forum
If Ridley's confirmed, we're gonna get a new thread regardless. This one is too close to the glitch point, and it'd make more sense to just start over.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Man....I leave this forum for a few days and everyone is feeling down......So what if Shulk made it in Smash and our Space Dragon Leader is nowhere in sight? This is no reason to give up.

Sakurai is WELL AWARE of the Ridley requests....and the Director is not shy to deconfirm characters and nothing stops the man from deconfirming Ridley in a POTD........Yet, Sakurai does not show us Ridley.....I wonder why?

I don't know about the Space Pirates here, but I am not throwing in the towel...not until the very end.
We made this far, fellow Space Pirates!!!
DON'T FALTER NOW!

BTW, The reason I missed this forum for a few days is because.......I am an uncle now :)
Agreed, now is not the time to give up, now is the time of waiting and watching, also about how you were gone...
[/quote]

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Welcome to the uncle club! Now tell us the rest of the roster since everyone knows uncles are totally in the know about all that. :awesome:

As for my trailer tagline suggestion, how about:

RIDLEY SHATTERS EXPECTATIONS! Since most think he's a boss.

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
Ridley can you hear me ? I'm lost and so alone
I'm asking for your guidance, would you come down from your throne?
I need a tight compadre who will teach me how to brawl
the haters think your leaving but hell we will make 'em crawl
Smash bros isn't some nooby work it seems magical and rad
the leaks just keep coming but we don't care about that.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
Welcome to the uncle club! Now tell us the rest of the roster since everyone knows uncles are totally in the know about all that. :awesome:

As for my trailer tagline suggestion, how about:

RIDLEY SHATTERS EXPECTATIONS! Since most think he's a boss.
watch it be:
"RIDLEY BRINGS THE CHAOS"

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

.....@Con0rrrr, second post this! NOW! This must live on for our ancestors!

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

If we get metal face's position confirmed within the next few days, I'm banking 100% Ridley's playable in some fashion, otherwise Ridley would have been cleared up long ago to avoid false hype...
ESPECIALLY considering that the Nintendo Treehouse members and even BILL TRENEN know he's a... BIG deal.

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
I can just imagine Sakurai at this moment in time, looking at our reactions to the embargo and smiling. Saying "If only they knew..."
*September 13*
*Embargo is over*
and the reveal is... SAKURAI CRASHES INTO BATTLE!
*Sakurai's face* :happysheep:

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Hehe...praising....I don't know why I giggled at it.....^u^

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I can just imagine Sakurai at this moment in time, looking at our reactions to the embargo and smiling. Saying "If only they knew..."
Is he saying that with a proud and warm smile, or with a devious smirk?

:love:

*September 13*
*Embargo is over*
and the reveal is... SAKURAI CRASHES INTO BATTLE!
You know what, that would be fine too. Not even a Mii, just a perfect Sakurai model that is playable.

If we get metal face's position confirmed within the next few days, I'm banking 100% Ridley's playable in some fashion, otherwise Ridley would have been cleared up long ago to avoid false hype...
ESPECIALLY considering that the Nintendo Treehouse members and even BILL TRENEN know he's a... BIG deal.
Really, if he gets in we should be thanking the detractors. I mean, they were to ones that managed to turn the whole deal into a meme.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Just wanted to ask to be put on the supporter list since I've posted here a lot lately. Supported Ridley ever since I saw him as a boss in Brawl. Long live Ridley and all the fellow space pirates!!

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
You know, It's probably a good thing Kraid hasn't been seen in a while. Back in Melee and smash 64, Ridley and kraid were seen as a pair. If Kraid continued to be seen with Ridley, It wouldn't happen because people would want Kraid to be in as well.
Luckily for us, Kraid was scrapped for metroid prime(though planned) and hasn't had any recent appearances, completely separating his relevancy from Ridley's.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
When did you guys first want Ridley playable? I had never played a Metroid game before, so I had no idea who he was until Brawl. When I fought him in the subspace emissary I wanted to play as him so bad. The first thing I thought was he'd need to be smaller, weirdly I never thought he'd be too big. Naturally I was really sad when he was "disconfirmed", then I found this thread about two weeks after the direct. :grin:

Top Bottom