• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
I feel like Sakurai would make Ridley's phrase be like "Is too big?!?!" cause of what he did with Lucina...cause at this point he must have heard about people saying "Ridley is TOo bIG, Ridley Is GiANt compared to SamUS"...
That's not an argument...smash bros doesn't care about the size in their respective games. Like Olimar is like the height of a quarter in Pikmin but in smash bros he is almost the same size as Mario. So Ridley could obviously be downsized or whatever and this is Sakurai the game designing master we are talking about he can do anything...:upsidedown:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I don't think the issue is that "Ridley isn't too big but Metal Face is". It's just that, from what we've seen thus far, Ridley's shadow is not too big and Metal Face's does appear to be. It's nothing to do with possibility or likelihood of being playable, it's just that Sakurai seems to want Metal Face to retain his original size in this game. If Metal Face was going to be playable, I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem scaling down.

It's not a question of bias or playing favourites, it's just a simple process of decision-making on Sakurai's part.
I already know that; I'm talking about in general if you ignore the Shulk trailer. Of course Metal Face is ridiculously big at the end of that trailer!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Here's a good one:

[collapse=too big to fit in comment box]
[/collapse]

:troll:

But seriously, can someone come up with one that doesn't use the "Too Big" joke?

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Here's a good one:

[/collapse]

But seriously, can someone come up with one that doesn't use the "Too Big" joke?
RIDLEY!

Devours the competition!
Swoops down into battle!
Brings in the bad!
Slices up his foes!
Cuts in!
Makes his grand Debut!
Has a Battle Tendency! (JoJo references ftw)
Lungs into the battlefield!
Murders your parents!

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
You forgot Mr Game and Watch being a clone of Peach.

(Ya dern kids wit yer fanceh Mega Evolutions! BACK IN MY DAY WE ONLY HAD 151 POKERMANS!)
You also had ten glitches every time you took a step, a messed up type chart, and one dragon type move.

How about, Ridley fits right in! Ridley makes a smashing appearance. Ridley breaks the scale. Ridley's in... Shokio's an idiot.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Laughing Medics.jpg Laughing.jpg
Can someone make one of these with Ridley for that glorious day?
Also, even thought today's PotD revealed dual roles,... I doubt Ridley will be a boss AND playable. But it's Sakurai, SOOO...

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
"Ridley! ZA WARUDO!" There's another JoJo reference.
I just love the amount of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure References in this smash bros ( Little Mac's poses, Reggie and Iwata's fight, Duck Hunt Dog and Duck being Iggy and the Fool, etc). Now if Ridley is referencing DIO, he should be voiced by Tim Curry.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I already know that; I'm talking about in general if you ignore the Shulk trailer. Of course Metal Face is ridiculously big at the end of that trailer!
In that case, I'm afraid I don't follow the argument. My apologies if I'm missing the point entirely.

Here's a good one:

[/collapse]

This made me laugh more than mere words can express.

I've actually been mulling it over in my head. Knowing Sakurai's right track record, I'm expecting humour and punnery.

Ridley soars into battle!

Ridley steals the show!

Ridley scales up!

Ridley's on the prowl!

This is trickier than I expected. >w<;;

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm sorry but if there isn't anything special, then why didn't Sakurai straight out deconfirm him like other chars?
Because it was never confirmed to be Ridley in the first place. It's obvious to Smashboards people, but not to the majority of the casual playerbase. With the characters who go disconfirmed it wasn't ambiguous who the character was, it was just their role that was ambiguous. Here it's supposed to be ambiguous who the character is, but I think it's meant to be obvious it's a boss/hazard.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Ridley

Raids the competition!
Soars in!
Brings the fight!
Smashes into battle!

And a personal favorite;

Bosses the competition!

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
dark pit got teased in palu video but didn't get confirmed yet ..and we know he in so maybe ridley shadow was only a teased to his playability(not boss) like dark pit.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I just love the amount of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure References in this smash bros ( Little Mac's poses, Reggie and Iwata's fight, Duck Hunt Dog and Duck being Iggy and the Fool, etc). Now if Ridley is referencing DIO, he should be voiced by Tim Curry.
All we need is to have Ridley's shriek be replaced with "WRRRRRRRY!" and we'll be golden.

"The one who stole your first kiss wasn't Kraid, it was I, RIDLEY!"

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
View attachment 23765 View attachment 23766
Can someone make one of these with Ridley for that glorious day?
Also, even thought today's PotD revealed dual roles,... I doubt Ridley will be a boss AND playable. But it's Sakurai, SOOO...
Maybe different versions of Ridley...one is the boss and one is playable. Meta Ridley is the boss and Ridley is playable. Just a thought about dual roles. Having something as a boss and playable would be too much I think...

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
All we need is to have Ridley's shriek be replaced with "WRRRRRRRY!" and we'll be golden.

"The one who stole your first kiss wasn't Kraid, it was I, RIDLEY!"
Actually, instead of Kraid, it should say Little Mac. And Ridley steals Samus' kiss (you know, cause Mac is a jojo and everyone ships him with Samus)

Little Mac: Ridleyo, BRAAAAAAAANDOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

(Sono Chi No Sadame x Super Smash Bros Wii U theme mix starts playing.)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Because there's no book full of rules that says that he has to, and it's silly that you're trying to apply patterns to Sakurai.
Actually, we're applying patterns to the Nintendo marketing teams. Who are far more predictable and have acted without Sakurai to disconfirm characters at several points.

From a marketing standpoint, this entire tease makes no sense if Ridley isn't playable. Revealing him at a stage boss a year ago would have been poorly received, but would have been seen as just a tease and a disconfirm. Most people would move past it.

Teasing the fanbase for over a year, giving them no official word for that long, then dropping the "boss" reveal on them just as the game releases in Japan, would hurt the game sales. You're going to argue "oh, no one would actually give up Smash for that". But they would. People would feel mocked, betrayed, and humiliated by Nintendo for over a year, and they would have that feeling right at the worst possible time, directly before release (when it's out in Japan, but not over here). Not all, not even most of them, would boycott the game, but there are definitely going to be a small minority that are going to be so upset at this dickish treatment by the entirety of Nintendo that they will boycott the game. It's going to happen, any marketing expert will tell you this, and it would be entirely Nintendo's fault, and easily avoided if they had bothered at any time to actually explicitly state anything.

This is part of why the explicit statements exist. This is why NINTENDO, not Sakurai, will come out and tweet that "oh, this character is actually not playable". Because they do not want people getting their hopes up at an ambiguous position, only to have those hopes crushed at the last possible instant, and the worst possible time for Nintendo.

In fact, while we're at it, let's point out that Sakurai wasn't the only one who performed the tease. The tease was made in a Nintendo Direct presentation. Despite what you may think, that's not just Sakurai sitting in front of a green screen going on an unscripted ramble. The marketing team and Nintendo undoubtedly reviews those, checks what scenes and images to pair with them, okays them for quality, works on scripting alongside Sakurai... You do realize that Sakurai is not the only person responsible for this game, right? Nintendo has huge teams, both in Japan and in America and Europe, working on these games. It's not just Sakurai, at any point.

Then too, Sakurai has specifically stated that he dislikes this situation personally. That he dislikes people getting hopeful, then getting their hopes crushed. Which, again, feeds in to his attempts to always clarify the fighters positions during every reveal. So even if it was just Sakurai, we would have reason to believe the obvious patterns in the behavior.

But since you're criticizing us for finding patterns, it seems your entire argument boils down to "Ridley breaks the pattern, Ridley is disconfirmed". With that "logic", I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this any further.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Actually, instead of Kraid, it should say Little Mac. And Ridley steals Samus' kiss (you know, cause Mac is a jojo and everyone ships him with Samus)

Little Mac: Ridleyo, BRAAAAAAAANDOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

(Sono Chi No Sadame x Super Smash Bros Wii U theme mix starts playing.)
Can someone please make that mix? I now need this.

And for Ridley's standard combo. "MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA!"

(I'm tempted to make an AMV of all the character reveal trailers to the Stand Proud song now)

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
We really need to slow down (I'm not helping)
If we want this to be the Ridley general discussion

Question: If we reach 2000 pages before Ridley's confirmation, will we get a new Ridley thread? (I'm not going to be the OP)
I can't wait for the R-sub forum

Top Bottom