• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
I want to know about Ridley's fate SOOOOO badly...but at the same time i don't want it spoiled by some person on the internet...

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Or they could just pull a MetalGreymon and slap a metallic helmet on him. It worked for Bandai and Digimon so why not?
Ironically, I would kinda like that as a throwback to Prime's Kraid which we never got, who just had a helmet slapped on without any other major design changes but was still something unique to him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The fact that everything seems to be dedicated to Other M further supports this. I personally hope it's not completely the Other M model. I mean, there are parts of Otherley that I like, but the face is just awful. A mix of different Ridleys would be nice.
It's obviously not going to be a copy and paste over of the Other M model. Ridley will be getting more of a touch-up no doubt.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/pyrosphere
i just want to ask this.
is it positiv for us that here in the description of the stage is the thing that the encountered the clone?
i mean it clearly states that this thing WASNT ridley
so i dont know if this is on some way an official thing
I just find it funny that in all those pictures of Pyrosphere we do not see Ridley once. I would ask Sakurai "what is he hiding" but I think we already know the answer.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The fact that everything seems to be dedicated to Other M further supports this. I personally hope it's not completely the Other M model. I mean, there are parts of Otherley that I like, but the face is just awful. A mix of different Ridleys would be nice.
I think the model, whether playable or not should at least be impressive to look at. So I would like to think he won't have the Duck beak. Also, I hope his head isn't as cartoonishly large as Brawl's, but that's just nitpicking I suppose. I'd just be glad if he's actually playable in game.

I do hope that he'll mesh well the cast, aesthetically I mean. He should have brighter colors in Smash. But I doubt that would be a problem.

I know alot of people have a problem with how Ridley looked in Other M. But the character designs were the least of that game's problems.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Ironically, I would kinda like that as a throwback to Prime's Kraid which we never got, who just had a helmet slapped on without any other major design changes but was still something unique to him.
It would be a nice little reference I suppose. Who knows, maybe Kraid will appear in the background of a stage again with that design. Could happen, stranger things have.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
So, what will happen to this thread once the game is out? Regardless of whether Ridley is playable or not, how many of you will bother coming back to this thread?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Or they could just pull a MetalGreymon and slap a metallic helmet on him. It worked for Bandai and Digimon so why not?
I thought Digimon involved strapping copious amounts of artillery to animals.

Heh, good old Kraid. I guess he never made it into Prime because his fights in the 2D games were based around his gargantuan size. I mean, you get to use his spikes as platforms and stuff. It translates really badly to 3D, sadly.

I want to know about Ridley's fate SOOOOO badly...but at the same time i don't want it spoiled by some person on the internet...
Better be spoiled by a random person about Ridley's fate, than having to be spoiled by the Japanese release, which might also contain spoilers for other characters.

I do hope that he'll mesh well the cast, aesthetically I mean. He should have brighter colors in Smash. But I doubt that would be a problem.
I think that the aesthetic theme of Sm4sh is "Realistic, but true to the original series". Bowser has wrinkly skin and scales and everything, but has normal colouration and is no longer pretending to be a giant monster. Likewise, Megaman has gotten a little realistic revamp, but acts very much like his original incarnation, especially when it comes to his animations. Ridley wouldn't be much different from his Other M design/behaviour. Or Conceptley for that matter.

So, what will happen to this thread once the game is out? Regardless of whether Ridley is playable or not, how many of you will bother coming back to this thread?
Oh, maybe I will, maybe not. We should probably have a fanart thread for us all to post our favourite shippings of Ridley.
Roidley x Sunglasses OTP.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
If Ridley is in, we will laugh at how anxious we were to see him. If he isn't in, we will probably cry and ask ourselves why we did this to ourselves for so long.

This post should remain open for the next generation to see how eagerly we awaited for Riddles.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
c11.png
Well, that was a couple of exciting days.

Hope you're not tired of MLP-inspired Ridley, because I've got more now of the Meta variety.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
If Ridley is in, we will laugh at how anxious we were to see him. If he isn't in, we will probably cry and ask ourselves why we did this to ourselves for so long.

This post should remain open for the next generation to see how eagerly we awaited for Riddles.
I like how both outcomes acknowledge how silly it is Haha

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
If you wish to stop supporting, do as you please. However, if you return to being a detractor, we will put you in the 'nice detractor' list. We only have one person if my memory is correct, unless you count Rogersbase. Shame to lose a supporter anyway

Also, lets face it! Ridley isn't going to be revealed to be playable....Until after release!
the starting roster! Notice we have all newcomers other than Lucina, who was a suprise that didn't really mean much. This confirms we aren't getting any more characters confirmed before release! This means Ridley can only be revealed AFTER release, and considering he is hype-worthy for the non Japanese and the embargo ends when it's released in Japan, I think I'm on to something
people need to do more research, i can assure that this is definetly not the starting roster, luigi is confirmed to be unlockable and has always been

It's on the Japanese E-shop, I see no reason for this not to be the starting roster
luigi is the reason it isn't the starting roster, he was confirmed to be unlockable

Last edited by a moderator:

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
So here's a idea. If by any chance Ridley is revealed to be a playable character in the 3DS version, would anyone be interested in doing a Ridley tournament for the 3DS (and maybe Wii U once it comes out)? I think it would be fun if we, the fans, played each other and see who was the better Ridley user. Thoughts?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
luigi is the reason it isn't the starting roster, he was confirmed to be unlockable
Was he? I don't remember hearing that. Though I don't think this starting roster will affect Ridley one way or the other.

So here's a idea. If by any chance Ridley is revealed to be a playable character in the 3DS version, would anyone be interested in doing a Ridley tournament for the 3DS (and maybe Wii U once it comes out)? I think it would be fun if we, the fans, played each other and see who was the better Ridley user. Thoughts?
I guess it could be cool. But I'd find it more interesting to have people fight with a variety of characters. Not just one. Maybe we could a tournament of all the new characters. If Ridley is one of them, then the more the merrier.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Ridley is in though, doesn't that mean there are a few more unannounced characters? Why would Ridley be saved for last?

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
If Ridley is in though, doesn't that mean there are a few more unannounced characters? Why would Ridley be saved for last?
Because he's been one of the most requested characters for the last 13 years. That's why.

And yes, it would mean there are more characters. But when the leak first surfaced (thanks to Ninka and Vaanrose), it was stated this could not be the final roster. So there you have it.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I believe that what we saw in the ESRB leak was the "final roster"

There will be a character reveal on october 3rd, something not in the *** version to hype up the us version. The japanese will receive a patch so that they don't miss out on the Ridley fun.

This would happen to avoid spoiling Ridley.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I doubt he's in personally but it would make sense to save a huge announcement for last

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
what i realy want to know IF he is in the game to be playable then what do you think are his costum moves? i mean i do not even know how his skills are but that would interest me

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Maybe cause he was teased for over a year rather than being revealed as a stage boss from the get-go.

Also if by some mirical he gets in, what kind of alt costumes would he have. My best bet its Meta Ridley but from what I heard Japan hates the prime series, even though Sakurai put both of them in Brawl.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I believe that what we saw in the ESRB leak was the "final roster"

There will be a character reveal on october 3rd, something not in the *** version to hype up the us version. The japanese will receive a patch so that they don't miss out on the Ridley fun.

This would happen to avoid spoiling Ridley.
I've been thinking it's possible they'll maintain hype for wii u by announcing dlc characters, since the final roster will be known by then.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Keep in mind Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt haven't been officially revealed yet and I think they would get trailers before Ridley.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Ridley only, For Glory? Or shall we see who the best dragon is as well? :demon:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I leave for less then a week to explore other parts of Smashboards only to come back that not only was this thread locked for a while, but also that we jumped over 100 pages and are now on page 1745.
What did I miss, and do I want to know?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Some people, mostly in this thread, see it as Ridley being hyped up. So I guess there's that, but I don't really feel too strongly one way or the other. But it would be cool to see if he is playable.

Rumor has it, he, Mewtwo, Dixie and Impa are the last characters in the game. But I'm not putting too much stock into that until I see something convincing.

If he's in, I'm sort of expecting him to be mid or low tier. Y'know, given the history of heavy hitters in Smash.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I leave for less then a week to explore other parts of Smashboards only to come back that not only was this thread locked for a while, but also that we jumped over 100 pages and are now on page 1745.
What did I miss, and do I want to know?
If you were here yesterday, Nintendo apparently had a closed behind the doors conference at PAX. Not sure if it was smash related or not, but all news that the media is holding on to is under an embargo; so everyone got hyped cause we thought Ridley got revealed during the conference. So the entire thread just got hyped. We had around 200 users and guests.

But other than that nothing new. We will most likely get the news once the game is released in Japan. So until then we wait for Ridley's fate to be announced.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Some people, mostly in this thread, see it as Ridley being hyped up. So I guess there's that, but I don't really feel too strongly one way or the other. But it would be cool to see if he is playable.

Rumor has it, he, Mewtwo, Dixie, MACH RIDER, and Impa are the last characters in the game. But I'm not putting too much stock into that until I see something convincing.

If he's in, I'm sort of expecting him to be mid or low tier. Y'know, given the history of heavy hitters in Smash.
Fixed.

TheRealShokio

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
LOL you Ridley fans are to funny.After the leak which shows that ridley isn't in the game.Even with all the facts that RIDLEY IS TO BIG FOR SMASH.Even when they showed him as a boss.You still believe that he is playable LOL losers

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
LOL you Ridley fans are to funny.After the leak which shows that ridley isn't in the game.Even with all the facts that RIDLEY IS TO BIG FOR SMASH.Even when they showed him as a boss.You still believe that he is playable LOL losers
Look guys. The real Shokio! Even though the ACTUAL Shokio has come on this thread on more than one occasion and has been completely civilized.

Try harder cutie ;)

Zynux

Smash Lord
We've talked about this about 6 or 7 times already in this thread alone.

Nintendo erased every evidence of secret characters on the commercials. That includes Ridley. Also, Pit, Palutena and R.O.B. should be there and they aren't. That proves nothing.
Not entirely true. It's logical to believe that characters from the same franchise will be grouped together if they debuted at the same time. Peach+Bowser, and Link+Zelda prove this. Pit, Palutena or ROB don't mean much because even if they are grouped in a different section they will still be together.

This is in vast contrast to Samus, who's by herself. Assuming that this is All-Star mode, then all the characters are unlocked. Therefore, logically Ridley should be next to her (Not ZSS, she did not debut until Zero Mission. Justin Bailey ≠ ZSS). Also, Ganondorf would not appear here either since he's always been credited to appear in OoT, which makes sense seeing that while Ganondrof is Ganon, the persona that is Ganondorf did not become realized as a character until OoT.

So, there are a couple of things that are happening here. There's no reason for Ridley to be grouped elsewhere seeing as Peach+Bowser are together, and Link+Zelda are together. Therefore, anyone that debuted in Metroid with Samus will most likely be grouped with her as well. One thing that could explain this is that Ridley is actually the very next fight, which is why he does not appear. This is just speculation, and admittedly seems like a huge stretch to me, but it's not an impossibility (would also be pretty clever too). However, I wouldn't really believe that that is the case.

Personally, the All-Star clip does have me worried a lot, and I have thus lowered my expectations because of it. But we'll see.

The thing about the Ash Paulsen (GameXplain) tweet is this

First of all, I don't think it's enough to say "He's in", but let me "overanalyze" for a second

For one, we know he didn't have to respond to the tweet.

"Oh but he wanted to stop the questions early!"

Sure, but barely any of the GX audience thinks he's playable anyway.

Now here's where stuff gets interesting. Ash responding to the tweet saying "either way" let's us know that potentially Ridley was talked about at the event.

But what do we know about the event?

They're seeing the final 3DS build. Not Wii U build.

Now what version is Pyrosphere on? Wii U.

Which one where they playing? 3DS.

Where is Ridley supposedly a boss on? Pyrosphere... on Wii U.... which they didn't see.

If they talked about Ridley, it would be about him on 3DS, where he wouldn't be a boss anyway.

Ridley es Confirmado?
lol Con0rrr, cool your jets :). We have no confirmation that we've seen the final Stage Select for the 3DS version. While I highly doubt the Pyrosphere will make it onto the 3DS version, let's not jump to conclusions here. What Ash says barely pertains to Ridley's chances.

In my honest opinion, giving this thread another last chance is more than it deserves after yesterday, but for some like Andrea who more than likely would've gone down with the FrigateOrpheonship, I'm glad you reconsidered.
Normally I would agree, but in my controversial opinion the last two lockings this thread has gotten have been dubious at best, and have honestly make me scratch my head in confusion, especially the locking before our current one. Yes, this thread got damn silly this time around (expecting a character reveal? Really? :facepalm:) but the majority of it's post was actually on topic in regards to Ridley. Though I do understand the concerns with Spam, this thread was going way too fast with the misplaced hype.

I believe that what we saw in the ESRB leak was the "final roster".
To protect myself from disappointment, this is the opinion that I hold for the time being. However, in actuality I have no idea whether if we're seeing the final roster or not. I hope not, because, well, I want Ridley.

That aside. How the hell you guys managed to get your thread closed, YET AGAIN!?
We Space Pirates took hostage this thread, thus inevitable having a lockdown by the Galactic Federation.

Honestly we should have just kept this thread locked until Ridley's fate is decided. If he's playable, then we should have reopened this thread for our final words and victory laps.

Shokio already has an account here, and has posted on this forum and thread before.

Move along everybody, nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Even though the ACTUAL Shokio has come on this thread on more than one occasion and has been completely civilized.
Well, I have newfound respect for Shokio.
...Just kidding.
He hates Miis and I hate him. :demon:

Chase

Smash Ace
I have a Ridley-related question for everyone; should Ridley have footstool grabs as well as aerial grabs? Ridley have grabbed opponents with his feet before and this would be an interesting thing to give to Ridley's arsenal.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
It was a poe, not the Real Shokio, just ignore it and move on or we'll likely get the thread locked for good this time.

Though what I was going to post, my theory about the embargo is we're likely going to get the more important information like possibly the remaining newcomer character reveals over the next couple of weeks, once the embargo is lifted and the game is out, games journalists and owners of a Japanese 3DS will likely be uploading all the remaining juicy info, though with the likes of Gamexaplain hopefully having prior hands on, we'll get the info in a more professional way than iPotato pictures people upload, and hopefully a more precise idea of what the games like + roster.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I have a Ridley-related question for everyone; should Ridley have footstool grabs as well as aerial grabs? Ridley have grabbed opponents with his feet before and this would be an interesting thing to give to Ridley's arsenal.
maybe as special attacks (command grabs) but I don't think that implemented as a core mechanic would work very well... (or mostly would work TOO well IMO)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
View attachment 23597

Xenoblade Prime.

Will color it later.
Goodness gracious me. I should be taking tips from you, young man.

Aerial throws would be interesting and add a distinct dimension of tactical complexity to Ridley. I am now imagining Ridley performing Zangief's Ultimate Atomic Buster and you are now imagining the same thing.

Top Bottom