• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The difference is this is a press event. They're announcing info to the press in advance, putting an embargo on the info, and then they'll allow the press to announce it alongside Nintendo's official announcements. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they announced Ridley and a bunch of stages, perhaps other info about the game such as game modes and potential for DLC content after the game releases, but they'll announce the info on their own time. The press gets it first so that they can coincide the announcements.

We're likely not getting any info out of this event right now. I think it is highly likely we'll get a Smash Direct this next week or the following (in fact I'd be surprised if we didn't) and THEN you can hype Ridley. Ridley probably isn't getting announced tonight, though, guys.

This exactly. I highly doubt Ridley is the reason for the embargo. Granted, its incredibly possible Ridley was announced, but that's likely not why there's an embargo.
Now, assuming that there was all this information given to the press, who's to say that some idiot there won't leak information despite the embargo?

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hey! Are you saying that it's not guaranteed to end in... something nobody would wish for? If you can hope for Ridley, you can hope for always waking up tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. If you've got a chance to live many more days, then don't feel ashamed or embarrassed. Live as your brother would have wanted. Tell yourself you will be here, no matter when it is, the day Ridley makes it playable in Smash. If you lose your will or your positivity then your health will worsen, because a state of mind is just as important as the state of your body. So if you're saying you could live a long life still, then I'm happy, and your brother would be too.
No... it's certain to end that way relativly soon. It's just I was describing the worst case senario which would be excruciatingly painful. It's going to happen, but probably not like that. My disease eats away at my skin. That's the basic idea. In some cases you literaly die from loss of skin, but usualy infection kills you first. the former is excrutiatingly painful, while the later can be tolerable.I was worried about the former, which is extremely unlikely. My point was that I shouldn't bother people with it here. I just hope that Ridley is revealed before the infection sets in, and that's all you really need to know.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Okay let me clear something up for everyone who is confused.

Right now, there is a closed door (not open to the public) panel at the PAX convention, supposedly about Smash Bros. We were originally looking for YouTubers such as the GameXplain crew (minus Derrick) to live-tweet the event, until it was announced to be under an extremely strict embargo. It is incredibly serious. Prior to the announcement of the embargo, only a few people believed Ridley would be announced, but after the embargo was announced, hype spread like wildfire. A lot of us don't even think it'll be Ridley, but it feels nice to hype. To finally have something to hype about. After an entire year, we finally have an opportunity to get our wishes, even though a lot of us don't think it'll happen. The embargo clearly means something is up. Nintendo rarely puts an embargo on panels, but when they do embargo something, it's something important.

tl;dr So that's the story for everyone confused. We like to hype, we want to hype, but we doubt we'll be the lucky picks tonight.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
"After the...incident last week, we've decided to have a change of plans. We're showing each and every one of you every single fighter in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS. All of the fighters. COunt them. All of them. All 60 of Nintendo's greatest right in front of you, staring at you. Taunting you. If you even think about giving even the slightest hint as to what we just showed you before we give explicit word that it is ok to do so, no matter how vague your hint is, you will be punished. 500 years from now when the world has ended and we revert to Medival Feudalism, your family will STILL be tied to the debt of paying reparations to House Nintendo, ruining any prospects you have of marrying into any other powerful houses. We won't tell you what is and is not allowed to be spoken of what you just saw. Good luck. And remember. No johns."

-Reggie Fils-Aime
If he actually said that I will be both surprised and pleased by his audacity.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Anyone worrying about that fan art don't worry. A quick Google search found it from a while ago.

Last edited:
I think this may be the final shot for the big guy. A western audience makes perfect sense for rid like a japanese audience for shulk. It would explain the news drought too. If not I dont think anything but attempting to bundle him with wii u to buff it's low sales can save him. Hope will never die, but chances will. I suggest as I usually do, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE MY MII TEAM UP WITH SONIC AND RIDLEY TO FIGHT OTHER MIIS THAT I MADE OF PEOPLE I HATE!!!!!!!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think this may be the final shot for the big guy. A western audience makes perfect sense for rid like a japanese audience for shulk. It would explain the news drought too. If not I dont think anything but attempting to bundle him with wii u to buff it's low sales can save him. Hope will never die, but chances will. I suggest as I usually do, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
I don't think Ridley is enough to buff the sales of a game/system that much. Lets not overestimate his importance.

He could always be an unlockable character a la Mewtwo in Melee, though I find extremely unlikely that Nintendo wouldn't reveal him before the release.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Warning Received
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together, see how you guys run like pigs for a Ridley, see how he flies, I'M CRYING.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Okay let me clear something up for everyone who is confused.

Right now, there is a closed door (not open to the public) panel at the PAX convention, supposedly about Smash Bros. We were originally looking for YouTubers such as the GameXplain crew (minus Derrick) to live-tweet the event, until it was announced to be under an extremely strict embargo. It is incredibly serious. Prior to the announcement of the embargo, only a few people believed Ridley would be announced, but after the embargo was announced, hype spread like wildfire. A lot of us don't even think it'll be Ridley, but it feels nice to hype. To finally have something to hype about. After an entire year, we finally have an opportunity to get our wishes, even though a lot of us don't think it'll happen. The embargo clearly means something is up. Nintendo rarely puts an embargo on panels, but when they do embargo something, it's something important.

tl;dr So that's the story for everyone confused. We like to hype, we want to hype, but we doubt we'll be the lucky picks tonight.
I don't see the reason to get hyped then. For all we know, it could have been 'Here's Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr., and Dr. Mario wheeee".

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I don't see the reason to get hyped then. For all we know, it could have been 'Here's Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr., and Dr. Mario wheeee".
And you know what that means if they showed all four of the remaining notable fighters from the leak?

There's moar.

Get. HYPED

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Let this decide our fate
Or just wait for the game to come out

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
If the info is under embargo, I don't think we'll learn anything about it until Nintendo official announcement. But I find this embargo very suspicious.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I don't think Ridley is enough to buff the sales of a game/system that much. Lets not overestimate his importance.

He could always be an unlockable character a la Mewtwo in Melee, though I find extremely unlikely that Nintendo wouldn't reveal him before the release.
At this point he has become too important to be a secrect character. A trailer for him is almost neccesary.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Sitting on this big thread, waiting for the trailer to come
corporation embargo, stoopid leaky friday
man you've been a naughty dragon you let your tail grow long
I am the Ridley man, wooo, they are the Ridley men, wooo
I am the Lolrus goo goo goojoob

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sorry, I don't buy it. This is a behind closed doors media event with a strict embargo. We're not getting an announcement.

If the info is under embargo, I don't think we'll learn anything about it until Nintendo official announcement. But I find this embargo very suspicious.
Exactly. The embargo IS suspicious. I think they are planning a big announcement soon. But this weekend? Likely not, it'd probably be next week instead.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Seriously, we should calm ourselves. Even if it's very likely that one of the big three is revealed, we need to calm ourselves and not get too hyped, because I don't want this to finish in a bloodbath (that our glorious leader didn't make)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
if ridley was not revealed at pax

its clearly not even close to over because the fact of imformation not being revealed till after release and nothings confirmed till a real full roster leak gets revealed.

better way to say it the real roster leak or sakurai will be the one to show ridleys fate.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Unless that's the rest of the newcomers period. Which I have a nagging feeling is the case.
I think there's a FEW things that can be considered cardinal rules of Smash Bros.

The Original 12 will never be cut.

If you've been around for at least two games, you're not gonna get any major moveset overhauls.

The games release with unannounced newcomers.

Donkey Kong always gets the bare minimum of content possible despite being the 4th biggest non-Wii-focused franchise Nintendo has.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
We're...2 weeks away from release in Japan. Someone will get a copy of the game very soon and try their best to unlock EVERYTHING. If Ridley is indeed included there then soon we NEED confirmation on whether he's playable or not.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Unless that's the rest of the newcomers period. Which I have a nagging feeling is the case.
I find that impossible. Those characters have already been leaked, and Nintendo knows it. Why put an embargo on information that the public already has? It doesn't make any sense.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I think there's a FEW things that can be considered cardinal rules of Smash Bros.

The Original 12 will never be cut.

If you've been around for at least two games, you're not gonna get any major moveset overhauls.

The games release with unannounced newcomers.

Donkey Kong always gets the bare minimum of content possible despite being the 4th biggest non-Wii-focused franchise Nintendo has.
Remember how Ness was almost cut in Melee. Original 12 aren't always safe.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Warning Received
If you "WTH???" when you read this, I got what he's talking about and it's even more baseless than my tease theory on Paper Mario which I can provide why it could happen (having the name confirmed is the most solid evidence so far).

If you watch the end of shulk's trailer, you see a big shadow, but also a voice (never played xenoblade).

If you honestly just told me that this is Ridley talking...

Then I'll happily see you leave. Seriously, do you really think it was a tease for him or even related in any way?

Gosh, not only it's not, but if it would, dark pit -> would help a lot actually.

Just think about it, you're denying a very well made video (btw, I liked the jokes in it) and a 5 hours essay that you literally copy pasted in your devianart page JUST because of something that is all BUT RIDLEY????

:confused:

Just think about it.

Oh, so now you wanna back-stab me for being stupid, and be insulting? This is why the Ridley fanbase gets so much hate; the moment you have any bit of doubt, they jump on you like you're a threat to them! Some become too passionate about it, and that makes the fanbase look like a buch of Bieber-esk fanboys. It's no wonder Nin10doUltra called all of you "worse than Sony fanboys!"

I change my mind entirely; none of you deserve Ridley! Don't be surprised if I go Benedict Arnold on you guys. :evil:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Why, why place an embargo on the details of that closed door event. It's like id with the new Doom stuff, you've only got stuff to gain from showing the content to the general public, especially if something as BIG as Ridley is a part of it. I'm tried to keep some realistic pessimism right now, but I'm still refreshing every page where content could be coming up as quick as I can. Even if it's just details on Smash, I wanna know those details for crying out loud, every little detail about Smash is great for us fans!

Top Bottom