• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought it was three hours. The only thing is that Sakurai retweeted the announcement, but I still doubt we'd see Ridley or anything. MAYBE a Metroid 3DS announcement, so it'd still be nice to keep an eye on it for that.
1 hour 57 mins

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I thought it was three hours. The only thing is that Sakurai retweeted the announcement, but I still doubt we'd see Ridley or anything. MAYBE a Metroid 3DS announcement, so it'd still be nice to keep an eye on it for that.
Seems I was a couple minutes off. If the youtube countdown is anything to go by. But anyway, I'd love either of those things. But then again I like knowledge and news in general so I'd be content with anything in the Direct.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We're not getting Ridley in a Japan-exclusive Direct, I can say that much. We'll be lucky to get a character at all imo.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
We don't know it's not Ridley related yet
That was the point I was trying to go for. We don't know what it's going to reveal. We HOPE it's out night in shining purple armor. But if there's no Ridley, just be happy he still hasn't been confirmed to a boss role yet.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, they might not show a character

BUT if they show footage of Pyrosphere...

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
It's taking every fibre in my body to control myself, like people are saying Japan only likely means no Ridley, but still..

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
We're not getting Ridley in a Japan-exclusive Direct, I can say that much. We'll be lucky to get a character at all imo.
It would be hilarious though. Ridley, with a huge western fanbase, getting revealed in the east, where he doesn't really have all that many fans. PAX confirmed to reveal Shulk.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley's size in Super Metroid is always heavily exaggerated, other than Botwoon and the Torizo he is by far the smallest boss in the game. If he had kept that size throughout all games I'm sure it wouldn't have been as big a deal at all, but of course we just had to have Prime 3 Meta Ridley and Other M to kick up his size and fan the flames.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I found it on knowyourmeme under "Ridley is too big"
It originated from here
Ridley's size in Super Metroid is always heavily exaggerated, other than Botwoon and the Torizo he is by far the smallest boss in the game. If he had kept that size throughout all games I'm sure it wouldn't have been as big a deal at all, but of course we just had to have Prime 3 Meta Ridley and Other M to kick up his size and fan the flames.
MP3 shrank and Roidley is a clone, so there

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The pirates in the Prime series were already known for being ninja-like anyway (hanging from ceilings and all that while waiting to attack/approach you).
Pirates do that since Zero Mission. In Other M, they do that too and they use physical attacks too, so, those are most ninja pirates in Metroid. Either them or Black Ninja Space Pirates in Super Metroid. Those that guard Ridley's room door.
I'm pretty sure that I saw the wings have a curve in them, and only Concept art Ridley had that curve. And Really? Not worth buying because of the design? We should be happy enough that he is playable, so let's not complain about the design just yet. And besides, the concept design is way better than what we got in Other M. Especially the head.
How? Shadow is distorted and shouldn't wings have curves anyway?
Not worth buying because i hate that design. Would you buy it if Ridley would be from NES NA concept art? Of course no. That design doesn't looks like Ridley. More like a human/dragon/pterosaur hybrid. Only arms, wings and tail are not bad, but everything else is not Ridley for me. Roidley is at least anorexic (but bulky because his bones are wide) or skinny dragon pterosaur thing that looks like mindless beast while still being intelligent - exactly what he should be and what he is since 80's. Not that human dragon thing. Design/model is also why i don't like Brawl Ridley hack - it looks bad and that could have been avoided.

Got too bored and decides to scribble this.....

Ridley X Samus
Sorry, AndreaAC and WingedSnagret....but Rosalina is only a fling to Ridley :p....Samus is Ridley's true love. After all, the Lady and the Dragon are bound by the red thread of fate.........If it was not for Ridley, Samus would not be the Space Bounty Hunter she is today. After countless battles, a certain spark may have kindled in their hearts......Love and Hate are two sides of the same coin.
OH F*** NO! I HATE THIS ONE! Not only did she nearly killed him and then killed him later, but Ridley hates humans anyway, he killed her parents and everyone else on that planet, killed Gray Voice chozo guy, desecrated Norfair part of Zebes by destroying statues (it is considered to be exactly that by Chozo or at least something as bad) and building his own (and they look glorious), attempted to kill other Chozos on Zebes, and he is a friggin' space dragon and just a magnificent b***ard! Duh...i hate it more than i hate toobigots.
Nah. It's all about what he can do with the tail.
It slices, it dices, it spins, it drills, but wait, there is more!
...oh s**t, what have i done?!
Not to mention the negative effect Bowser Jr and DHD could have on the rating of the game. Questionable weaponry and blatant beating of an animal. This also explains the booty/booby pics we got in the album released on Imgur.
Dude, Bowser Jr is not an animal and uses same thing we saw in Mario games, which are always family-friendly, so, its not that bad.
So someone's going to get the game, spend their first week hacking it instead of playing it, find Ridley, and get enough evidence together to make people believe him when they can't unlock Ridley themselves? I dunno, I think it'd be pretty safe.
Everyone believes Ridley once was an assist trophy, Toon Sheik, Toon Zelda, Dr.Mario, Dixie Kong+Diddy Kong and someone else i forgot were cut from Brawl, but there isn't much evidence, so...I think it won't be that hard to believe.
Okay, maybe those aren't the best words. But still, if I wanted to play on a stage with Hazardley on it, then I'd go play Dead or Alive Dimensions!
Or just go play Metroid games. Those Ridley boss battles are a lot better than what we had in Brawl and what we may get in this game.

Last edited:

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
I always felt that Ridley x and zm Ridley were the largest of the Ridley sprites.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
But you're all forgetting one important detail!
Ridley is just too BIG

of an important character not to be playable
for Smash Bros.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I want to see Ridley being revealed in a Japan-only direct today. It would be glorious.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Other M Ridley is as big as Brawl Ridley:

I made that by resizing Samus from Other M to Brawl Samus' size since Other M models are 11.4X smaller than Brawl models, then resized every other Other M model i found to be closer to Brawl size. So, it is at least 90% accurate. Also, Roidley is 3rd smallest Other M boss.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Man I really don't like Brawley's design. He's more bony and skinny than I'd prefer. I know Ridley is like that naturally, but Brawley seems to kick it up a notch.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Man I really don't like Brawley's design. He's more bony and skinny than I'd prefer. I know Ridley is like that naturally, but Brawley seems to kick it up a notch.
Omega Ridley is a lot worse actually. So, this one is still not that bad and is Super Metroid Ridley in 3D + some slight changes to make him look more like Metroid Prime 1 Meta Ridley.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Omega Ridley is a lot worse actually. So, this one is still not that bad and is Super Metroid Ridley in 3D + some slight changes to make him look more like Metroid Prime 1 Meta Ridley.
Idunno. I like Omega Ridley. So it must be SOMETHING that bugs be about his Brawl design.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Other M Ridley is as big as Brawl Ridley:

I made that by resizing Samus from Other M to Brawl Samus' size since Other M models are 11.4X smaller than Brawl models, then resized every other Other M model i found to be closer to Brawl size. So, it is at least 90% accurate. Also, Roidley is 3rd smallest Other M boss.
Huh, that's pretty funny. Brawley was way oversized compared to the real Super Metroid size too.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Idunno. I like Omega Ridley. So it must be SOMETHING that bugs be about his Brawl design.
Overbite? Big eyes that don't blink? Giant head (SM Ridley had giant head too)? Very long teeth that look worse because of that overbite?
Huh, that's pretty funny. Brawley was way oversized compared to the real Super Metroid size too.
I will try to put Brawley into Super Metroid pose then. If he would be bigger, then he is oversized, if not - then he is as big as SM Ridley.
Doesn't counts. It is spin-off game, so, it doesn't counts just like Bowser size from it. Still, K.Rool isn't always giant. Neither is Ridley, but who cares?

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Reggie stated they had "plans" for Metroid, not that they were working on anything. Naturally, they could've been working on Metroid games and he just didn't want to say anything until they were ready to announce it.
It was a producer at NCL who said they had plans for both Metroid styles. But a game of that prestige is not going to be announced in a japanese exclusive direct. Major game announcements are worldwide.
The only thing Im expecting is Shulk or Ness from this one.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

K ROOL is HUGE
Thing is, there is a good reason as to why K. Rool is huge. The boss battle with him requires you to jump over him. If he was DK-sized, the fight would've been way easier, but with this size, you need preciser timing. The size of an enemy is much, much more important in 2D games, where most enemies have contact damage. Ridley in Super Metroid was hard because he was hard to avoid, he wasn't big per sé but his size combined with the layout of the room he was fought in made the boss fight difficult.

Now, I'd like you to watch this:
As you have seen, the transition from 2D to 3D had changed a lot of things for LoZ, particularly the pacing and the combat. Especially bats. It really was easier for Metroid Prime because it was designed as a first person shooter, making hitting things from the first person perspective much easier (that and there is a way to lock on to the buggers). But I'm tangentiating. In the 2D games, things could hit you and damage you without it necessarily having to be part of an actual attack. Ridley in SM just flies about and sometimes you accidentally bump into him. But in 3D games everything works differently. You don't have to jump over or duck under things anymore, you can sidestep their attacks. It makes it a whole lot easier to dodge them, actually.

The Prime Ridley fights were a completely different beast compared to the past 2D games. I am willing to bet that this was because of the first person perspective; if Ridley fought in a way similar to his 2D incarnations, half the time you would even be able to see him properly because he'd move all over the place all the time. In 2D, you could see everything around you, but in 3D you always have some form of blind spot.

Now, Ridley's size. In the 2D games, because size played such an important role in the fight itself, his size had to be limited. In 3D, such limitations suddenly stopped existing, as you didn't have to bump into a gigantic sprite all the time anymore. You had more room to move about, and less to worry about a boss' bulk. Ridley's size became less relevant in the boss fight, and more relevant to his appearance.

I'm not even sure what my point is anymore. Whatever. Just watch Egoraptor's stuff ok? He's cool.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Where did all this King K. Rool stuff come from?
*cough* Let's get back to Ridley, ok?
For instance, if you could only have one of these things, would you rather have a playable Ridley or... THIS!

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
For instance, if you could only have one of these things, would you rather have a playable Ridley or... THIS!
Oh, just some size related babble, and why K. Rool was as big in DKC and such.
Also learn how to properly spoiler tag u dunkbutt!!!!!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Playabley, that won't break or get lost easily, and the K.Rool stuff was because of him being taller than Ridley
:4greninja:'ed by a millisecond! Kudos SmilingMad!

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
since when did this become the K. rool size discussion thread?

also, can someone tell me where that japanese direct is taking place?

yeah, ridley may not show up in it... but if there is even the slightest chance at all that he might, i wanna see it!

Top Bottom