• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Well killing someone's parents and being the commander of murderous space pirates is never good for one's image.

Ridley is quite a mysterious character, I'm not sure if it's ever been said why he's evil.
He's never really had his backstory explained, nor has he really had much of a chance. The closest we got was Other M showing that he's actually a Pokémon. I still think Space Pirate Logs/Archives like in Prime would be a picture perfect way to explore the backstory of good ol' Riddles. Just have them as scientific logs of how they found Ridley, how he was taken in, how he rose through the ranks, etc.

Hell, I'd be satisfied by just showing his personality there. It'd stop newcomers to the franchise from thinking he was just a mad beast.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
He's never really had his backstory explained, nor has he really had much of a chance. The closest we got was Other M showing that he's actually a Pokémon. I still think Space Pirate Logs/Archives like in Prime would be a picture perfect way to explore the backstory of good ol' Riddles. Just have them as scientific logs of how they found Ridley, how he was taken in, how he rose through the ranks, etc.

Hell, I'd be satisfied by just showing his personality there. It'd stop newcomers to the franchise from thinking he was just a mad beast.
Manga. Is. Canon.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Manga. Is. Canon.
I don't think it's not!

What I'm saying is that a game would be more accessible and would make the knowledge a lot more widespread, especially since the manga was never released in the West. Also, the manga never delved into Ridley's backstory, you know?

The Primes are canon, the manga is canon. I'm not a... manga detractor, if such a term exists. :awesome:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Ridley shouldn't be playable, he's always been a boss. (counter me)
does hitting someone in the face as hard as humanly possible with an iron bat count as a counter argument?

cause that would just be faster and less stressful.

...this wait for ridley has me in a bad mood.

im also doubting the 20th is gonna have any info on ridley, the whole thing is just a waste of time... even if sakurai is keeping track of how long ago he started teasing ridley... he wouldnt reveal the news on the day we'd all be expecting... he's a devious, twisted little fiend, wanting to torture us to the limit, until we start bleeding from the eyes from staring at our screens with a fierce intensity, waiting for any tiny hint... anything we can cling to for hope.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I don't think it's not!

What I'm saying is that a game would be more accessible and would make the knowledge a lot more widespread, especially since the manga was never released in the West. Also, the manga never delved into Ridley's backstory, you know?

The Primes are canon, the manga is canon. I'm not a... manga detractor, if such a term exists. :awesome:
...Okay, that's much clearer, then. But even if it's put into a game... well, there's no guarantee we'll get it in the West (where's that DQ7 remake, Squeenix?)

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
That can change.

Bowser was always a boss, and now he makes frequent playable appearances in smash, and he's really only playable in side series stuff like all the Mario RPG's and Mario Sports games.
Who else wants ridley playable in a super smash Kart racing game, massive head, tiny go Kart

Beanybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
atombeany
3DS FC
2019-9824-4588
I think Ridley's just misunderstood. Like Sakurai himself!

...Wait. What if...this has all been some twisted plot to conceal his true identity? o.o

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Who else wants ridley playable in a super smash Kart racing game, massive head, tiny go Kart
YEAH thats the spirit! I personally want a metroid tennis, you bet your ass he'd be playable in that.
You mean protagonist?
Nah I meant antagonist, I dunno, I just think a canon metroid game where ridley is the protagonist would be impossible.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
...Okay, that's much clearer, then. But even if it's put into a game... well, there's no guarantee we'll get it in the West (where's that DQ7 remake, Squeenix?)
Yeeeaaaah... like with the whole Impact Crater mishap changing between regions. At least, I think it was regions.

I think it's been mentioned that the Space Federation exterminated Ridley's race when he was young, almost similarly to Samus. Either that, or he's just a condescending ***-douche by nature.
If that's been mentioned, I think that's an awesome backstory. I think it's just fantheory, honestly, especially with Ridley's home planet being unknown and all. T'was originally Zebes, but that was retconned like a lot of things.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I think if we're getting anything about Ridley's backstory, it'll all be headcanon. Still I think it would be cool if we eventually did get a Ridley-centric game, whether he's the protagonist or not.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
And we'll never get it. Either because it'll never happen at all or nobody'll localize. Like Squeenix does. :grrr:
Stop to destroy my dreams!

I want this.

I think if we're getting anything about Ridley's backstory, it'll all be headcanon. Still I think it would be cool if we eventually did get a Ridley-centric game, whether he's the protagonist or not.
Maybe he could be the main antagonist but you will actually get to play him in flashbacks about his dark, sad, toutching and twisted past.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Maybe he could be the main antagonist but you will actually get to play him in flashbacks about his dark, sad, toutching and twisted past.
I really want to be able to make a comic about his backstory in the future....another thing I should put on my list of Ridley projects.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Stop to destroy my dreams!
Being a Dragon Quest fan is suffering. Glad I can share the wealth. :evil:

...No, go the other way. He's the protagonist, and the final boss is a fight against Samus that you can never win. :awesome:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Shokio: "Ridley is just too freaking big to be playable you son of a.." *shot*

If they were to make a game on Ridley, it would be nice to know about his past and see the rest of his species before they were killed off.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

If they were to make a game on Ridley, it would be nice to know about his past and see the rest of his species before they were killed off.
Plot twist, ridley is actually one of the prime pirates just a different version, similar to bees.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice

My current headcanon on Ridley is that his original species was little birdie, but assuming they consume an extreme amount of biomass, they would eventually grow to be terrible space dragons. They lived in a wild environment, and many would die, but they were very quick learners, and the few that survived would become ruthlessly efficient at killing any predator, large or small.

The planet was glassed because of the creatures frightening potential, and only one managed to survive, the one who managed to stow away in their ship when they went to look for survivors.

Neighbor_Kid

Smash Cadet
I always thought Ridley's race was wiped out by the federation while he was away. I expected his race to be very murderous and primal, but quite intelligent like Ridley. Ridley is "racist" against other races because he wants to prove that his wasn't just a weak race that could just be wiped out like nothing.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
...No, go the other way. He's the protagonist, and the final boss is a fight against Samus that you can never win. :awesome:
That would be cool too! Anyway, as long as the game is Ridley-centered and that we discover his backstory, I would be happy as a Ridley hater if he's a boss (which won't happen in my opinion).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think the Ice Beam does that fairly well, actually.

Nothing is going to top the Mother Brain fight. There was too much build up, that heart-wrenching scene with the Metroid, and then you get to lay waste to the $%!& who killed your baby Metroid. It's just not going to be matched.

But in overall terms, I think the Ice Beam did fairly well. You get to the Omega Metroid, and you are at a stalemate. You can avoid its hits, but can't do anything to it. Then you get to absorb the SA-X, who has been plaguing you this entire game, and lay claim to your old suit colors, and the mighty Ice Beam, and lay waste to the Omega Metroid. How could you improve that?
The Ice Beam only came off as powerful as it did because it was the last one attained under the whole beam stacking system, which is used in a bit too many games for my liking (prefer the switchable beam system like in the Primes). Wasn't denying though that the ice beam made sense for an Omega Metroid being the final boss, because it did (although not being able to damage it with ice missiles which also freeze was kinda silly), but would've preferred if there was some new weapon that was the only way to defeat the SA-X's giant/mutated form as the final boss, or something... instead of just charge beamming it a few times like everything else.

Yeah, Super's Mother Brain fight won't be topped in the sense you're saying, but doesn't mean other games shouldn't try to at least step it up more like that during the climax, I feel. Prime did a good job on that with the Phazon Beam after all, etc.

I agree on that stance in that it's not hype-worthy (possible bad pun unintendo) but it still wrecks. I have no idea what else they would have done for a final weapon though. Bring back Hyper Beam, seeing as the SA-X was basically your fully upgraded suit from SM? I would have a hard time coming up with a new, unique death ray, if you will. Besides, Fusion's ending ranks 2nd only to SM for endings in the series for me, I thought it was AWESOME.
Yeah, for what it was the ice beam still worked. Wasn't really criticizing it so much as I was saying something else awesome could've happened at the end, but I agree on Fusion's ending itself being one of the best still (one of the few times when Samus's monologues was actually quote-worthy in a good way).

Bringing back Hyper Beam could've been cool, especially if it had a different animation or something to make it still feel fresh. Heaven forbid SA-X having that weapon though (Samus conveniently didn't still have it when she got infected).

Yeah, that was kinda my own view on the teasing thing so far. I didn't know there was a picture that exactly captured my sentiments from the shadow direct until I saw that, and it was perfect.

As for the moveset, I'll admit, I didn't put as much thought into the standard attacks as I might have, I was more focused on trying to get the balance of the air game right with the specials. That seemed like the important part of the moveset to me, what made it stand out. Smash attacks are cool, but interchangeable between sets (usually) That also applies to his normal throws (which exist, the side b move would just always lead to an aerial throw) which I didn't think out, because the deadline for the post was coming up, xD. Maybe I'll throw some of those together later. They wouldn't be as good as his aerial throws, though, to stay in line with the movest. Maybe you can't combo out of any of them, or something.

I get to make an over 9000 joke this post too. I usually don't watch how many likes I have but when it gets close to such an even number my OCD kicks in and I can't help it. Thanks peeps ^.^
Oh, I see. Yeah, with the rest of your moveset, I reckon his normal throws shouldn't/wouldn't be as good as his aerial ones, but at least something to still use every once in awhile. Some throws like the d-throw should definitely have a plasma breath/fireball animation though.

I agree, or maybe a metroid game where Ridley is actually the main antagonist, or at least seemingly so?
The closest we got to that ironically was Zero Mission, but yeah. A game where he's not one-upped by some other creature at all would be nice for a change I guess, not that he necessarily needs to be a final boss for us to know that he's Samus's main antagonist.

We had the Honey Queen from Mario Galaxy resized once for that ****, so why not? Even for a racing kart game toobigotry would have no place. :evil:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, I think I like the Venus fly trap explanation best. Ridley could be like one of those chomper plants in plants vs zombies.
The Chomper plants from Plants Vs Zombies have a swallowing animation. Final smash for Ridley confirmed!
I suppose my cover could be a space-pirate biologist... :>

Top Bottom