• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

UltimateWario

Smash Master
>talking about relevancy when we have Pac-Man and Megaman on the roster

Are you serious.

They're not in exactly the same boat, but relevancy is still garbage when Little Mac and K. Rool both last appeared in games not too far apart.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
OKAY GUYS I GOT SOME BIG NEWS

@ IsmaR IsmaR has given me permission to edit some of the OP with all of the evidence that we would like.

Until 5PM EST Tommorow I will be taking submissions for what is the best evidence presented on this thread.

We will finally have a centralized hub to keep all of our biggest cases in.

My first idea are @aldelaro5 essay and @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 shadow analysis (though SOB, I recommend cleaning it up with grammar and making it look nice and presentable)

IF ANYONE has any favorite posts on these boards that they would like to see on the front for the detractors to see, please message me, or quote me here on the thread!

THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDES!
Could you maybe put in a compiled list of the August releases since it's something we've been holding on to for awhile. I believe that Nietona has typed up some of the ones that the two of us gathered.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Permission to edit the OP is fantastic. I'd say that, alongside stuff already mentioned, every argument we can think of as well as the evidence for said arguments should be there. Like how Nintendo made certain everyone knew popular request Chrom wasn't playable. Stuff like that!

Maxilian

Smash Ace
He's still an iconic character of the franchise.

But enough about K Rool, this is the Ridley thread.
He's not as iconic as Megaman and Pac-man not even as popular and known but yeah.... Ridley

I hope to see Ridley vs Samus in the next trailer or it could start with Samus vs Zelda and having Ganondorf interrupt, Samus and Zelda start giving Ganondorf a hard fight, until Ridley appears and grabs Samus away to start a 1 vs 1 fight (REVENGE)! :drflip:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm sorry man. It's just...I can't get behind oneshots.

I don't hate the guy, but it'll take more than Hyrule Warriors to convince me that Ghirahim will be as long-lasting a Zelda villain as Ganon.
Honestly even if we took Hyrule Warriors to mean anything, Ghirahim has the same track record Zant does, and I'd rather see Zant. Zant would be cool. I remember supporting him back pre-Brawl. Aside from Byrne he was the last legit cool non-Ganon antagonist the series has had IMO.

Also geeze. August is just Metroid month, innit. I am hoping hard to be wrong so we can get Ridley in august. :c But that's weeks away before we find out.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

@ IsmaR IsmaR has given me permission to edit some of the OP with all of the evidence that we would like.

Until 5PM EST Tommorow I will be taking submissions for what is the best evidence presented on this thread.

My first idea are @aldelaro5 essay and @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 shadow analysis (though SOB, I recommend cleaning it up with grammar and making it look nice and presentable)

IF ANYONE has any favorite posts on these boards that they would like to see on the front for the detractors to see, please message me, or quote me here on the thread!

THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDES!
My Shadow analysis is always a crowd pleaser.
I started with this picture of his tail shadow. I reasoned that this tail thickness is likely going to be the thickness of the real Ridley's tail, owing to the consistent shape and thickness across the stage and the overall tendency of shadows to become bigger, not smaller.

I then measured out that four Ridley tails was the sufficient number in order to equate the thickness of this brick on Pyrosphere.

I took an Other M Ridley model (because that was the most likely model and I wanted the hugest Ridley possible), bundled four tails, and scaled them appropriately on an top-down view of the Pyrosphere.

(Yes, I verified that the Other M Pyrosphere was roughly the same as the Smash Bros Pyrosphere, the only primary difference being that the Smash version was more octagonal.)

Anyhow, I lined up the two Pyrospheres, and...

There we have it! Ridley's Smash Bros. size.

And a quick size comparison with Samus for added effect.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Could you maybe put in a compiled list of the August releases since it's something we've been holding on to for awhile. I believe that Nietona has typed up some of the ones that the two of us gathered.
I just listed stuff you mentioned, pretty much. That was aaaaaall you. :grin:

But it's kinda a time-based thing and if Ridley isn't revealed in August it could all be for naught, so would it be worth having on the OP?

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Ridley isn't revealed in August it's going to be awkward for everyone. Since after the August direct we'll have everything we're GOING to have until the roster is leaked.

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
honestly it suprises me that i really really want ridley as im not really that huge of a metroid fan. I guess honestly I'm really intrigued to see how ridley would play

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
August is the last chance for ANYTHING to be revealed practically. Isn't the japanese release for the 3DS in september? Anyway, I need to go, it's late here.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Honestly even if we took Hyrule Warriors to mean anything, Ghirahim has the same track record Zant does, and I'd rather see Zant. Zant would be cool. I remember supporting him back pre-Brawl. Aside from Byrne he was the last legit cool non-Ganon antagonist the series has had IMO.

Also geeze. August is just Metroid month, innit. I am hoping hard to be wrong so we can get Ridley in august. :c But that's weeks away before we find out.
Yeah, I remember back in the Brawl days when I had no sense of who could and could not be in the roster. It was obvious back then that Zant, Midna, and Wolf Link were shoo-ins.

But now I'm all restrained and realistic. Which is why I'm supporting someone who has been implied to be a stage hazard.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDES!
What parts i can use a grammer mistake finder website.

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I remember back in the Brawl days when I had no sense of who could and could not be in the roster. It was obvious back then that Zant, Midna, and Wolf Link were shoo-ins.

But now I'm all restrained and realistic. Which is why I'm supporting someone who has been implied to be a stage hazard.
I remember i didnt even know brawl was going to be outside of japan (i was pretty young im 15 now so) but it was probably the first time i ever felt hype for a game before

CorruptedMotives

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rootbeer
3DS FC
1118-0220-9529
honestly it suprises me that i really really want ridley as im not really that huge of a metroid fan. I guess honestly I'm really intrigued to see how ridley would play
Yeah, myself included. I've only played Super Metroid, really, but I really want Ridley in. I think it has something to do with the lack of villains, and lack of Metroid reps. Also kinda just to see if they could pull it off nicely, I suppose.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
He's not as iconic as Megaman and Pac-man not even as popular and known but yeah.... Ridley

I hope to see Ridley vs Samus in the next trailer or it could start with Samus vs Zelda and having Ganondorf interrupt, Samus and Zelda start giving Ganondorf a hard fight, until Ridley appears and grabs Samus away to start a 1 vs 1 fight (REVENGE)! :drflip:
I wouldn't mind seeing Ghirahim playable, and at this point I'm not even surprised if we're going to get a Zelda newcomer. I guess he and Ridley could both appear in a villains trailer, along side other characters such as K. Rool and Mewtwo.

It's hard for me to say if Ridley will even have his own trailer at all. He might just be an unlockable character.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
What parts i can use a grammer mistake finder website.
I just recommend making the post more nice looking and organizes. Some spoiler boxes are empty, and some other things.
I'm not going to be making anything as I'm spending the time organizing. But if someone else wants to do it, I will do it.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Hey, kinda new to smashboards and everything, but I think I like this thread the most. You guys seem to be the most chill out of all the character support threads plus I think Ridley would be an awesome character to play as!

Anyways, on topic: I think August would be a good time to reveal Ridley. Nintendo has already revealed other people on their anniversaries plus Ridley has really solid evidence! I think this might be his chance.

Last edited:

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
Yeah, myself included. I've only played Super Metroid, really, but I really want Ridley in. I think it has something to do with the lack of villains, and lack of Metroid reps. Also kinda just to see if they could pull it off nicely, I suppose.
Yea I want to get into metroid i played super metroid for about 5 minutes on an emulator. I honestly can picture the way ridley would play being very grapple heavy and being very slow. ugh i just want him in

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hey, kinda new to smashboards and everything, but I think I like this thread the most. You guys seem to be the most chill out of all the character support threads plus I think Ridley would be an awesome character to play as!
Welcome!

Don't drink the water.

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
Welcome Young Padawan (if your even younger than me)

Welcome!

Don't drink the water.
Can i please get an explanation on "don't drink the water"

Last edited by a moderator:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, having Ridley playable would feel like the end of an era. Ridley fans have been fighting for so long... to not have to fight anymore about it... it'd be weird and wonderful.

I'm not going to be making anything as I'm spending the time organizing. But if someone else wants to do it, I will do it.
If that's gonna happen, I got down the Metroid dates. Credit goes to BlueBubbee though.

Alright.

Metroid games in general released in August:

Metroid (August 6th 1986 JP, August 15th 1987 NA)
Metroid II: Return of Samus (August 26th, 1991 NA)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (August 27th, 2007 NA)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (August 24, 2009 NA)
Metroid: Other M (August 31st, 2010 NA)

Looks like we have a spectacular lineup, especially for the North American crowd. This is looking good, guys. Nothing set in stone or certain, but good.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Can i please get an explanation on "don't drink the water"
When we converted to a lounge theme, I decided that we needed a dumb inside joke to make the Ridley thread seem more close-knit and friendly. I figured a tampered water source could make for some laughs, speculations, and running jokes.

Hence, don't drink the water. It'll cause all sorts of things, ranging from mere death to rampant shipping and loss of concept of scales.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just recommend making the post more nice looking and organizes. Some spoiler boxes are empty, and some other things.

I would fix the spoiler boxes empty thing but i have no idea how i tried everything nothings works

And what do you mean by nice looking

I mean dalek colt helped me repair part 2.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I would fix the spoiler boxes empty thing but i have no idea how i tried everything nothings works

And what do you mean by nice looking

I mean dalek colt helped me repair part 2.
Hmm. Alright. Maybe bold certain things and use font sizes, Just try some stuff. Bullet points maybe? Just see what you can do, it's fine either way

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I'm really curious here but who else here has played every Metroid game? I own and have played every game in the series and beaten all but the original (for reasons "unknown") and I haven't gotten around to ever finishing 2 (at this point it just confuses the crap outta me cause I have no idea where I am

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm really curious here but who else here has played every Metroid game? I own and have played every game in the series and beaten all but the original (for reasons "unknown") and I haven't gotten around to ever finishing 2 (at this point it just confuses the crap outta me cause I have no idea where I am
I played and beat all of them except for Zero Mission and Metroid 2. It was fun times. I actually own all of the ones I've played too, I believe.

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
Ive played them all except for the 2nd one and i never beat the 1st one, but i did beast zero mission so i guess that counts as the first one

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Same boat as you. Completed all but Metroid II.

Also, turns out Xenoblade was released in NA in August? Competition from Shulk is not a nice thing to have, with or without Gematsu Leak.
...Then again, they could say "Competition from Ridley is not a nice thing to have" as well (especially since Metroid has a plethora of August anniversary dates), so I guess fair's fair.

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
[quote="MrBill0327, post: 17072827, i have 50 with no cuts Which i always thought was the perfect amount
No cuts? What about Snake? Although I do think he was a one time thing. Also, RIP Random Character Selction Box.[/quote]
oh oopes forgot bout snake havent had him in so long and i dont have random for aesthetics it wouldnt look right

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm missing Zero Mission and Hunters because I didn't have money when those released. And Prime Pinball if that counts. Looking forward to that ZM Virtual Console release.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Stay on topic guise.

Isma Is capable of dropping the lockhammer on this happy thread at any moment. I suggest the main character discussion thread.

Top Bottom