• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I was pretty positive that we'd get Ridley for E3, but was ultimately let down.

So I have doubts that this random Monday is going to hold promises of Space Dragons.

On the other hand, what character warrants 3 days advance to let people speculate?

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Minor update for the Ridley plush, now the bendable skeleton has arms! So, now I can find out whether it is accurate to scale or not.

Does this look like his body proportions are correct?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
A Pilotwings stage and symbol without a Pilotwings representative.
Brawl had Electroplankton stage & symbol, Nintendo DS stage & symbol, and Animal Crossing stage & symbol without any reps from any of those series.

Do you know what this means?

We're getting Plankton from the Electroplankton series and Mr. AR from the Nintendo DS series. :troll:
This is because we got Villager from Animal Crossing which was previously unrepresented. This also means that we'll get a Pilot Wings character in Smash 5 when it comes out (in 15 years -_-), if there isn't one here.

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice

So I have doubts that this random Monday is going to hold promises of Space Dragons.

On the other hand, what character warrants 3 days advance to let people speculate?
I really expected a ridley reveal when they were playing the brinstar theme during the smash tournament :/

Nat Perry

Smash Ace

I don't think it warrants anything, all the newcomers have been announced via E3 or Direct, and this one won't be announced by either means.

So rather than have an update saying "Oh, here's a new fighter," maybe he thinks it's fitting to announce it beforehand to build up hype.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah...I think YouTube stopped letting my videos get around when they made their algorithm changes a few months back. What was your username?

Video's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmqZ8WUOI9c
Oh, I didn't have a Youtube account or anything like that. I just kept myself up to date with the videos you guys posted. I suppose I haven't been checking for new ones as much lately.

Anyway, I thought that was a pretty solid video overall. You gave some good reasons and examples that show that Ridley is not out of the question. I actually found the "hint vs. strongly implied" argument to be rather interesting. I've never heard that one before, but it makes sense. Sakurai put Ridley in the spotlight during the Direct, yet at the same time kept him hidden away from us. If he's a boss, why did he not show him and explicitly state that he's a boss? That doesn't match how he usually handles de-confirmations. And the thing is, this argument only gets stronger over time. Not only did Sakurai tease us by showing, yet not showing, Ridley, he hasn't mentioned him since. Why? He took time out of the Direct to focus on Ridley, so why hasn't he bothered to take the time to go into more detail about him in some pic of the day? It just doesn't make sense. And nowadays, we have even further evidence that Ridley isn't a boss based on the size of Ridley's shadow (which could match that of a large playable character), and the fact that the Ridley we saw in the Direct doesn't act like a typical Smash boss at all.

So, in short, I think you're right about Ridley, and that it's very possible that Sakurai is just trolling us, once again, in an attempt to generate an insane level of hype for the game.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'd prefer if they make his appearance an amalgamation of all iterations of himself. That would be the coolest thing ever. I don't know how I'd go about it but it's not impossible.
That's what some people here are hoping for, actually, seeing the overall popularity of Other M's Roidley, even though it seems to be the version we'll be getting.

An hybrid Ridley would be cool. Most of the body of Roidley with a little less buff and less pointy spikes with OG Ridley's head shape.

roidsdef.png

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's what some people here are hoping for, actually, seeing the overall popularity of Other M's Roidley, even though it seems to be the version we'll be getting.

An hybrid Ridley would be cool. Most of the body of Roidley with a little less buff and less spikes with OG Ridley's head or beak.
Meaning Concept Artly, correct?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

An hybrid Ridley would be cool. Most of the body of Roidley with a little less buff and less spikes with OG Ridley's head or beak.
I think it's time you reposted that Hybridley you designed.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

An hybrid Ridley would be cool. Most of the body of Roidley with a little less buff and less pointy spikes with OG Ridley's head shape.

View attachment 18086
Now THAT Ridley would be awesome. Good job on that drawing.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace

View attachment 18086
Holy crap, that's actually really good. I like that.

And if that doesn't work, they could have Ridley with alt costumes as re-proportioned versions of other Ridleys, along with their corresponding shrieks. I'd like a blood-curdling, shrieking Ridley-X in my Smash Bros, please.

Or just have a design like yours and swap out the heads/armor/skin (scales?)/voices for each alt.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I was considering using a Greninja avatar with a top hat, but I dismissed it.

I'll be using a Gentleman [insert character revealed tomorrow] as my avatar later on, though.
It's probably going to be extra British.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I've never heard that one before, but it makes sense. Sakurai put Ridley in the spotlight during the Direct, yet at the same time kept him hidden away from us. If he's a boss, why did he not show him and explicitly state that he's a boss? That doesn't match how he usually handles de-confirmations. And the thing is, this argument only gets stronger over time. Not only did Sakurai tease us by showing, yet not showing, Ridley, he hasn't mentioned him since. Why? He took time out of the Direct to focus on Ridley, so why hasn't he bothered to take the time to go into more detail about him in some pic of the day? It just doesn't make sense. And nowadays, we have even further evidence that Ridley isn't a boss based on the size of Ridley's shadow (which could match that of a large playable character), and the fact that the Ridley we saw in the Direct doesn't act like a typical Smash boss at all.

So, in short, I think you're right about Ridley, and that it's very possible that Sakurai is just trolling us, once again, in an attempt to generate an insane level of hype for the game.
Yeah, the way he's acting about Ridley makes no sense unless:

1. Ridley is playable

or

2. Sakurai is really out of sync with what people want and how to sell games

I'm hoping for the first scenario, for obvious reasons.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
When I was at Best Buy (the last day), I brought up Ridley and the entire room just stared at me with the most angry look. :C

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, the way he's acting about Ridley makes no sense unless:

1. Ridley is playable

or

2. Sakurai is really out of sync with what people want and how to sell games

I'm hoping for the first scenario, for obvious reasons.
The second one doesn't even make sense when you consider what Sakurai is like and what he's already done for the fans.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
By the way, which Ridley iteration do you think has the best shrieking voice? Mine's a tie between Roidley and Ridley-X. Both are pretty ferocious, although the latter is just shrill and I kinda like that...but I'd rather hear Roidley's shriek on a regular basis.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
By the way, which Ridley iteration do you think has the best shrieking voice? Mine's a tie between Roidley and Ridley-X. Both are pretty ferocious, although the latter is just shrill and I kinda like that.
Meta all the way.

D

Deleted member

By the way, which Ridley iteration do you think has the best shrieking voice? Mine's a tie between Roidley and Ridley-X. Both are pretty ferocious, although the latter is just shrill and I kinda like that...but I'd rather hear Roidley's shriek on a regular basis.
Ridley-X's is the stuff of nightmares.

O___O

Last edited by a moderator:

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
The second one doesn't even make sense when you consider what Sakurai is like and what he's already done for the fans.
Yep. I have a really hard time believing Ridley's not in with the way he was acting, and I was never the biggest Ridley guy when speculation started.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725

Ridley! What did they do to you!? I Knew Samus was violent but really!? o_O

Seriously though, I doubt Sakurai will make him that thin. I would guess a middle ground between Brawl and Other M Ridley in terms of mass.

D

Deleted member

Can't wait for the site to crash tomorrow, if it's Chorus Men, war happens, if it's Ridley, well, war happens

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Just had a random thought. I feel really bad for new people who are directed to this thread only to happen upon a conversation involving Ridley's genitals or shipping shenanigans.

Then again they might as well be introduced to the insanity from the get-go.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Ridley doesn't have any genitals though...visible ones, anyways.

Maybe he cloaks them. Yeah, I'll go with that.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Just had a random thought. I feel really bad for new people who are directed to this thread only to happen upon a conversation involving Ridley's genitals or shipping shenanigans.

Then again they might as well be introduced to the insanity from the get-go.
Speaking of these "Shipping Shenanigans", I never got my Ridley x Pikachu ship art. :sadeyes:

Ridley doesn't have any genitals though...
Don't mention anything like that or you will receive pictures. It gets quite twisted here at times. :evil:

Last edited:
Top Bottom