• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
If Ridley's playable, I'll be excited and the game'll be a must-buy for me. If not, well... while I'll probably get the game in the end, I'll wait for prices to drop first. There's nothing on there that interests me to the point where I'd be willing to buy it full retail price right now. Literally, Bowser and Smash Run are the main selling points of the game to me right now. None of the newcomers have interested me, and the veterans are awesome but Bowser's my favourite because I mained him in Brawl. I mean, understandable if you're getting hyped up playing Mega Man and Little Mac, but nearly none of the newcomers, nor the newcomers on the Gematsu Leak if it turns out to be correct, interest me. Greninja warrants some interest, I suppose. Palutena too, to a lesser extent, but I never played Uprising so there's that.

I guess... so far, there's a lack of anything new that really gives the game that special "all-star" feel to me. It just feels like theres a few stars and then just random characters thrown in. If Ridley isn't playable, it'll feel like they've left out the last remaining long-term all-star in favour of characters that, in my eyes, don't really deserve to get in over him.

I get why people are excited for this game, but the roster's the most important part, and I don't see anything to make me hop about in joy on that roster. It seems pretty boring to me.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Ridley can eat a ****.... Not to sound rude but he's too damn big...
How is this not inteded to be rude? Going into a character support thread, Saying said character can eat a **** and then saying it's not rude doesn't make it not rude. This is a thread for general Ridley discussion, not just support like some people seem to think, so If you want to have an intellegent conversation about it, this is the place. If that is what you came here for, you have presented yourself very poorly, ruining your credibility, and most likely most people here won't take you seriously. If that is the case, I suggest you apologize for the insult and post your argument. If you did not come here for a discussion, but just to troll, then you have come to the wrong place, as this thread tears trolls apart, and I suggest you leave before things get out of hand.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How is this not inteded to be rude? Going into a character support thread, Saying said character can eat a **** and then saying it's not rude doesn't make it not rude. This is a thread for general Ridley discussion, not just support like some people seem to think, so If you want to have an intellegent conversation about it, this is the place. If that is what you came here for, you have presented yourself very poorly, ruining your credibility, and most likely most people here won't take you seriously. If that is the case, I suggest you apologize for the insult and post your argument. If you did not come here for a discussion, but just to troll, then you have come to the wrong place, as this thread tears trolls apart, and I suggest you leave before things get out of hand.
Don't pay attention to edlocke he's already been trolling the Shulk and Takamaru threads.
In other words don't feed the trolls ignore them.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Again, if you feel someone is trolling or flaming then report the post and then promptly ignore it.

Drop the current discussion and get back on topic.
I know you all mean well, but get back on topic. The staff has this taken care off, and continuing this discussion shall be met with Spam warnings/infractions.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm already pretty certain myself all things considered, and already have the game preordered. The waiting game is going to be such a long one. Though I guess the good news is, it's July now. In one month, the last pre-release direct happens and as much as I doubt it we might just see Ridley there. In TWO months the final roster will be leaked. And in only three months, we will get to play the game ourselves.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm already pretty certain myself all things considered, and already have the game preordered. The waiting game is going to be such a long one. Though I guess the good news is, it's July now. In one month, the last pre-release direct happens and as much as I doubt it we might just see Ridley there. In TWO months the final roster will be leaked. And in only three months, we will get to play the game ourselves.
There's always that very small possibility that we have one this month.
But August IS our best bet.
I'm so spoiling myself of every character when the game comes out in Japan in September.

D

Deleted member

I am going to spoil myself 100%, before I joined the discussion, I thought I could survive without looking at the final roster, but now, with Ridley as the ONLY character I really want, it's what decides the 3DS version for me, I'm probably going to buy the Wii U version regardless though I would be pissed that Sakurai would tease us for nothing... that would happen in an alternate universe where Sakurai is a cruel man, I have faith on him because I don't know when he has done a single bad design choice in his whole life

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Would be nice for the August Direct to have multiple newcomers revealed (*cough* Ridley *cough*), but I doubt we'll get more than one. Worst thing is, it'll probably be either Shulk, Chrom or *gag* Chorus Kids/Men, too predictable. A Ridley reveal (as playable) would be the best thing to do a month before the Japanese release. But then again... this is Sakurai... *sigh*...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Would be nice for the August Direct to have multiple newcomers revealed (*cough* Ridley *cough*), but I doubt we'll get more than one. Worst thing is, it'll probably be either Shulk, Chrom or *gag* Chorus Kids/Men, too predictable. A Ridley reveal (as playable) would be the best thing to do a month before the Japanese release. But then again... this is Sakurai... *sigh*...
I feel like at this point, if Ridley is playable, he has to be revealed before release. After the supposed misdirection in the direct, it would seem incredibly stupid to not show off Ridley, and just have most people read that he's in on the internet when the roster is leaked. It would be such a waste of potential hype, and I don't think any developer in their right mind would do that.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
You're right, this is Masahiro Unpredictable. He revealed Pac-Man, the single most iconic character of all time in a closed round table discussion.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel like at this point, if Ridley is playable, he has to be revealed before release. After the supposed misdirection in the direct, it would seem incredibly stupid to not show off Ridley, and just have most people read that he's in on the internet when the roster is leaked. It would be such a waste of potential hype, and I don't think any developer in their right mind would do that.
I think since it's Sakurai we won't know till release.
Why? Because he's trolled us for so long he might as well troll us to the very end.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The reason august has a good ahot is that would be the 1 year anniversary of the pyrosphere reveal and if the direct is on the 6th

Thats the metroid nes anniversary.

majora_787

Smash Hero
1) International directs are bimonthly so we would be getting one in August, not July.

2) Yes. If Sakurai can make it so Pac-Man of all characters is revealed quietly over twitter after Nintendo's opening day at E3, he can ride the Ridley BS Rocket all the way to release.

EDIT: I don't think we'll see Ridley until release KNOWING the double-anniversary situation. I really just still don't expect Sakurai to stop memeing on us.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think since it's Sakurai we won't know till release.
Why? Because he's trolled us for so long he might as well troll us to the very end.
But trolling until the end has less payoff. It seems like you're thinking of him as a troll rather than a developer. A troll would leave it till release, but if this is misdirection for the purpose of generating hype for a character, rather than blatant trolling for no reason, it makes much more sense from a developer standpoint to capitalize on the hype that all this was intended to create. Sakurai isn't just some internet troll. He doesn't do these things for ****'s and giggles. He does them for real reasons. It just wouldn't make sense at this point to wait until after release.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But trolling until the end has less payoff. It seems like you're thinking of him as a troll rather than a developer. A troll would leave it till release, but if this is misdirection for the purpose of generating hype for a character, rather than blatant trolling for no reason, it makes much more sense from a developer standpoint to capitalize on the hype that all this was intended to create. Sakurai isn't just some internet troll. He doesn't do these things for ****'s and giggles. He does them for real reasons. It just wouldn't make sense at this point to wait until after release.
That's what I'm saying you can't tell what Sakurai will do alot of things he does don't make sense but he does them anyway.
I do respect your opinion though.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm getting the 3DS version regardless of what happens. Super Smash Bros on a handheld system has always been something of a long-held dream of mine.

Don't get me wrong, if Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool are all not playable, of course I would be upset. But I'll still be able to enjoy the game playing as Solozard and Little Mac.

D

Deleted member

I actually think he only accepted to develop Brawl for this reason, he likes to play with the fanbase, but always for a greater good, if he could choose between losing one month payment to troll everyone even more or a raise on it but no trolling, he would choose the trolling... I think I would too

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The fact that August is both Pyrosphere and Metroid's anniversary more likely hurts then helps Ridley being revealed that month. Sakurai is always being unpredictable, taking an occasion where we think a certain character will be revealed, only to give us someone completely unrelated (a prime example was Dixie Kong for Tropical Freeze, only for Little Mac to show up instead).

So the fact that there are two noteworthy events happening in August that, offhandedly, pertain to Ridley and thus encourages us to expect him, it's only logical to assume that Sakurai will throw us a red herring yet again by revealing a non-Metroid newcomer.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The fact that August is both Pyrosphere and Metroid's anniversary more likely hurts then helps Ridley being revealed that month. Sakurai is always being unpredictable, taking an occasion where we think a certain character will be revealed, only to give us someone completely unrelated (a prime example was Dixie Kong for Tropical Freeze, only for Little Mac to show up instead).

So the fact that there are two noteworthy events happening in August that, offhandedly, pertain to Ridley and thus encourages us to expect him, it's only logical to assume that Sakurai will throw us a red herring yet again by revealing a non-Metroid newcomer.
What if he does the unexpected by doing the expected that is unexpected to happen and reveals Ridley's role in the game at that point?:p

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

That is if Sakurai recognizes that Metroid has an anniversary.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

He was being unpredictable before, so that we would predict his unpredictableness, and end up doing the thing that was predicted in the first place for the last direct before Smash.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Worth noting IS, in February, Sakurai ignored the release of Tropical Freeze to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Punch-Out arcade release in Japan. So it's really just hard to say in general.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
"So you mean to say they've taken our thoughts so that we'd think our thoughts are thoughts we think we thought? I think." -Patrick Star

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Don't call me a rookie you only been here two more months than me. It would be surprising if he got in but don't count on it sorry fellas
Sorry just saw "Smash Rookie" and no profile picture and assumed "new guy."

Anyway. I'm really torn on whether Ridley would be a secret character, or announced in August to build hype. I could see that going either way. I'd say before because, the best part of him being a secret character would be people playing Pyrosphere and being like... Where is Ridley?? But we wouldn't get that effect since we'll know by then with the 3DS release. So I think an August Direct reveal would generate the most hype possible for the game.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'm likely going to wait closer to the release date(s) before I pre-order either version, and I'm pretty sure only Amiibo and the games can be pre-ordered in the UK so far, haven't seen any sites to pre-order the adapter from aswell. Though the UK Nintendo store sold Mario Kart 8 with free a bullet bill shirt and red koopa shell keyring, so hopefully they do something special for Smash Bros.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Ridley is only a stage hazard/boss, then this thread :(
It was tough enough watching this thread on April 8th. Don't need to be reminded how much harder it'll be to look at if/when there's another nail to the coffin.
D:

And yeaaah. Good luck on Metroid's anniversary getting recognized. Not just in regards to Sakurai but by Nintendo in general. Where's that Metroid II remake guiz?!

*finds more recent art to get me to think more positive*
Well, these got my attention.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

This is true but you gotta think were the minority, a lot of people flat out believe that Ridley a boss or that hes not playable so it still would be a surprise to many people, they didn't research the shadow size and the "hinting" that Sakurai has done, or timing the pyrosphere is shown. So I think it would still be unpredictable but it is Sakurai so will just have to wait :c

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This is true but you gotta think were the minority, a lot of people flat out believe that Ridley a boss or that hes not playable so it still would be a surprise to many people, they didn't research the shadow size and the "hinting" that Sakurai has done, or timing the pyrosphere is shown. So I think it would still be unpredictable but it is Sakurai so will just have to wait :c
That is also true, so it could be that he did the whole shadow tidbit to throw everyone off the trail so nobody would suspect Ridley in August even with the double anniversary.

My head hurts from all this second and triple guessing...

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
The August Direct is something I'm hopeful for, but also something that worries me. What a lot of people here are thinking is that he'll hopefully be revealed as playable, but even if it is the Metroid anniversary month, what if he decides to "celebrate" that anniversary by revealing Stage Hazardley and going in-depth on him? I agree with Majora that it would make no sense, what with the hyping and all, but it's a possibility.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
That is also true, so it could be that he did the whole shadow tidbit to throw everyone off the trail so nobody would suspect Ridley in August even with the double anniversary.

My head hurts from all this second and triple guessing...
Make it quintipple.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The August Direct is something I'm hopeful for, but also something that worries me. What a lot of people here are thinking is that he'll hopefully be revealed as playable, but even if it is the Metroid anniversary month, what if he decides to "celebrate" that anniversary by revealing Stage Hazardley and going in-depth on him? I agree with Majora that it would make no sense, what with the hyping and all, but it's a possibility.
Honestly if the character revealed in August is one that was on the Sal leak I'll be very disappointed.
I hope it's King K. Rool, Takamaru, or... well you know who.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Shush, we don't think about those.

D

Deleted member

I think it's funny that Sakurai gave us everything we needed to analyze the shadow since the beggining with Bowser in mid-air and his big shadow and it's even more fishy that Pikachu didn't have a shadow

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Shush, we don't think about those.
First of all, sorry about this being a qoute to something unrelated. I accidently clicked reply and couldn't undo it.
second,
I really don't understand where the "too big" mindset comes from, and that's coming from an ex toobigger. Honestly when I first heard the idea of Ridley being in smash, it was from my brother pre brawl, and I had never played a metroid game or heard Ridley requested for smash bros. and my first thought was "isn't he a little big for smash?" It wasn't until I played my first metroid game (Other M) please don't kill me and fought Ridley that I thought "wait, this is the guy I thought was so huge? He's not that big. Bowsers bigger than he is in sunshine." That's when I came around to the idea of Ridley being in smash. I have no idea why I thought Ridley was too big. I had never played a metroid game, and I had never heard "Ridley's too big" so there was no logical reason for me to conclude that Ridley was too big. It's like there's something supernatural about Ridley that makes people hate him for no reason.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I think it's funny that Sakurai gave us everything we needed to analyze the shadow since the beggining with Bowser in mid-air and his big shadow and it's even more fishy that Pikachu didn't have a shadow
Pikachu does have a shadow, but it's faint and you can hardly see it due to Pikachu being closer to the ground (it's smaller) compared to characters in the air (Bowser, Ridley).

Top Bottom