• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The reverse cape and caoe mindgames

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Theres been a lot of talk about the reverse cape and we've all seen it with smashmacs amazing combo vid. Does anyone else use it other than smashmac then? Personally I don't. If you cape normally then it has a much larger range even if there is a bit of lag. Dogy has claimed that you can use it for link/y.links bombs but I have yet to try that out.

by the sounds of things the reverse cape may be more than just something flashy (appologies smashmac) and more of a move in it's own right. Or is it just hitting with a different part of the forward B?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I messed around with it right after watchin $mac's video, and it does hit with a different part of the cape.

[opinion]
It's like, there's an actual hitbox on the cape or something of that nature, so whereever the cape is where the reflection is, which means it's easier to reflect stuff coming from below cause Doc pulls the cape from low to high.
[/opinion]

However, this doesnt really explain why you can cape bombs from the front with a "ghost" cape; a.k.a. one where you cape "too early" so that the actual cape doesnt hit the bomb, but your cape is still out (It looks like the bomb just reflects off your face).

--shrugs--

I dunno the technicalities behind it for caping recoveries. I just figured it out for what i needed it for. D:

SuiteFox

Smash Cadet
Reverse cape does take care of link/ylinks bom bs in the same way as other projectiles. however if you dont reverse cape those bombs they blow up in your face. also the cape comes out behind you first then it reaches more forward.

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
I haven't tinkered with it, but next time I play my friends I will and I'll give you my opinion. Until then, I will continue to forward cape because I think reverse caping is a matter of preference.

P.S. This is Kashakunaki.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ive got a cape ?. How do you cape a sword user, donkey kong or bowser?
Marth (and I think roy) - you can either cape their sweetspots, or you can actually trade hits with them to cape.

Link/Ylink. You can cape if they up+b early (like, if they plan on falling OUT of their up+b into the ledge). As for caping them in their spin attack, i'd venture to say you might be able to hit their head - other than that, i dont know.

Bowser/DK - You really dont cape them. If you do, you'll pop them up. And the only real situation where you can cape them (i think) is when they're done spinning and trying to land on the ledge meaning you can just take the ledge and be done with it.

--edit--

And to go along with what you're saying suite, i was messin around with the reverse cape the other day and figured out that it works on bombs.

What i was talking about was something i found out about a month ago. You can actually cape bombs facing forward, but you have to cape early enough so that the actual cape doesnt hit the bomb. When you do this, there's an invisible "reflector" wall in front of you that will cape the bomb back.

The problem with caping this way is that you actually have to predict when they're going to throw the bomb at your rather than react to it.

SuiteFox

Smash Cadet
Yeah, id allready tinkered with it some too, like right after your posts about capeing bombs.ALso i could feel why smashmac called it "smoother".

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
Reverse cape does take care of link/ylinks bom bs in the same way as other projectiles. however if you dont reverse cape those bombs they blow up in your face. also the cape comes out behind you first then it reaches more forward.
Are you serious? The cape hits behind you before it hits in front? If that's true I might just do that from now on.

MuBa

Smash Lord
The cape's hitbox is pretty ********. It actually surrounds his whole body. But if the reverse cape is actually safer than the front then I'll definitely incorporate it into my game.

SuiteFox

Smash Cadet
The only thing i can think of is that its still the cape you know.. its gonna hang out there just as long regardless of the directionit is used.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Question: Does the reverse cape attack frames last the same amount of time as the forward cape? (I now it comes out quicker, but how long does each one last?)
Yeah.

And if you want some "logical" explination (i quote logical cause it's really not logical, lol).

The cape is behind you longer than it is in front of you. Doc pulls it from behind him, whips it in front, and it ends over his shoulder.

So, i think it actually lasts the whole time on your back, and has a startup on your front - i'd have to check into it more.

Top Bottom