• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The REAL differences between Pit and Dark Pit.

Who cares?

• I do!

Votes: 335 83.1%
  • I don't!

Votes: 68 16.9%

• Total voters

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Because I was hunting for differences between the two characters, I figured that I may as well change the scope of this thread to be more like that of a general guide, and as such have made numerous changes to its layout and presented information.
Still a work in progress.

Here are my results:
*Any K.O. percents used take an equal amount of "Rage" into account, but they DO NOT take the "Fresh Move Bonus" or "Critical Knockback" into account.
*Light Blue text refers exclusively to Pit, while Violet text refers to Dark Pit.
*Red text indicates a change between updates, specifically the text in red no longer applies to the current version.
Alternatively it means that I messed up the first time around.
In either case, getting someone to check my findings against an original version would be appreciative.
*Green text indicates another user's contributions, if the the text next to it is red then I have tested it again since myself and agree with their findings, if its still white I either haven't thoroughly tested their suggestion or don't agree with their data.
*Yellow text indicates that further testing is required.

~Pit / Dark Pit~
Palutena Bow / Silver Bow

Normal Damage: ~3.29% / ~3.87%
*Approximate Damage: 3%-3%-3%-4%-3%-3%-4% (pattern: 3% three times, 4% once, 3% twice, 4% once, repeat)
*Approximate Damage: 3%-4%-4%-4%-4%-4%-4% (pattern: 3% once, 4% six times, repeat)

Pit Normal Reach: The entire length of Final Destination
Dark Pit Normal Reach:When dodge rolled all the way left, the middle of the "U" in CPU from where the CPU spawns in training mode
Charged Damage: ~8.875% / 10.5%
*Approximate Damage: 8%-9%-8%-9%-9%... (shot to K.O. at 34 shots, no pattern yet, twenty 9%'s compared to fourteen 8%'s)
Pit Charged Reach: Significantly more than the entire length of the "Camera Fixed" screen on Final Destination
Dark Pit Charged Reach: Just over the entire length of the "Camera Fixed" screen on Final Destination
Forward Angles: +/- 180º by arrow's end / +/- 10º by arrow's end
Upward Angles: +/- 180º by arrow's end / +/- 10º by arrow's end
*Arrows launch at faster speed after charging.

Upperdash Arm / Electroshock Arm
*B-Reversing either Pit's Arm in the air or on the ground causes him to warp roughly one character length forward, effectively increasing the Arm's range and covered distance by one character length
-Grounded-

Damage: 11% / 11.5%
Pit Launch: On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Pit's Upperdash Arm will send Mario at a 80º angle, the apex of his height being the top of the highest window in the background, and he will land just left of Pit.
Dark Pit Launch: On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm will send Mario at a 60º 50º angle, the apex of his height will have his feet resting on the top of the lower section of wall, and he will land just left of the first window.

-Aerial-

Damage: 9% / 9.5%
Pit Launch: On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Pit's aerial Upperdash Arm will send Mario at a 80º angle, the apex of his height being the bottom-right corner of the highest window in the background, and he will land about two character lengths left of Pit.
Dark Pit Launch: On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Dark Pit's aerial Electroshock Arm will send Mario at a 75º 50º angle, the apex of his height will have his hat just brushing top of the lower section of wall, and he will land between the two lower windows.

Forward Tilt

Normal Hit
Damage:
7% / 7%
Base Knockback: 40 / 15
Side K.O.: 183% / 223% to hit right-side blast line from CPU spawn point
Center K.O.: 220% / 266%

"Scissor/Tipper" Sweetspot
Damage:
10% / 10%
Base Knockback: 40 / 15
Side K.O.: 134% / 161% to hit right-side blast line from CPU spawn point
Center K.O.: 162% / 196%

All Other Attacks (Damage)
*All of the following attacks are the same for both Pit and Dark Pit

3-Hit Jab Combo: 2%>2%>5% (9%)
Rapid Attack: 1%...
Rapid Finisher: 2%
Up Tilt: 2%>3%>5% (10%)
*Get in close to land all three hits
Down Tilt: 6%
Forward Smash Uncharged: ~5.048%>~10.048% (15%) 5%>10% (15%)
*Sandbag registers as 6% and 11% respectively, adds 1% every seven fully registered hits,
*Previously recorded decimal damage was due to how quickly Pit enters the "charaging state" of his Smash attacks.

Forward Smash Charged: 7%>14% (21%)
Up Smash Uncharged: ~3.048%>~2.048%>~8.048% (13%) 3%>2%>8% (13%)
*Sandbag registers as 4%, 3%, and 9% respectively, adds 1% every seven fully registered hits, attack with some distance to land all three hits
*Previously recorded decimal damage was due to how quickly Pit enters the "charaging state" of his Smash attacks.

Up Smash Charged: ~4.5%>~2.5%>~11.2% (~18.2%)
*Approximate Damage: 18%-36%-54%-72%-91%, attack with some distance to land all three hits
Down Smash "Far" Sourspot Uncharged: ~10.?% 10%
*Sandbag registers as 11%, but I couldn't find any hint of decimal damage

Down Smash "Far" Sourspot Charged: 14%
Down Smash "Close" Sweetspot Uncharged: ~12.?% 12%
*Sandbag registers as 11%, but I couldn't find any hint of decimal damage
*Previously recorded decimal damage was due to how quickly Pit enters the "charaging state" of his Smash attacks

Down Smash "Close" Sweetspot Charged: ~16.8%
Dash Attack: 11%
Neutral Air: 0.6%>0.6%>0.6%>0.6%>0.6%>0.6%>0.6%>4.3% (8.5%)
0.7%>0.7%>0.7%>0.7%>0.7%>0.7%>0.7%>4% (8.9%)
*Approximate Damage: 0%-1%-1%-2%-3%-3%-4% (8%, 9% on even hits), first seven blows register as"0%" damage each (ie; decimal damage)
*Approximate Damage: 0%-1%-2%-2%-3%-4%-4% (8%, 9% on even hits), first seven blows register as"0%" damage each (ie; decimal damage)

Forward Air: ~1.?%>2%>4% (7%) ~1.5%>1.5%>4% (7%)
*Sandbag registers as 2%, but I couldn't find any hint of decimal damage, 0%-Center K.O., still no decimal damage obvious
Back Air "Close" Sourspot: 8%
Back Air "Tip" Sweetspot: 12%
Up Air: 2%>2%>2%>2%>2% (10%)
Down Air: 10%
Forward Throw: 4%>6% (10%)
Back Throw: 8%
Up Throw: 4%>7% (11%)
Down Throw: 2%>4% (6%)
Pummel: 2%
Ledge Attack: 7%
Get-Up Attack: 7%
*both the face up and face down versions of the Get-Up Attack are the same

K.O. Percents

Placeholder Text

Custom Moves

Placeholder Text

Taunts

Pit
Up Taunt: "Come On!"
-Time: ~1.1 Seconds
Side Taunt: "That all you got?!"
-Time: ~2 Seconds
Down Taunt: Angelic Pose
-Time: ~1.3 Seconds

Dark Pit
Up Taunt: "Who wants some?!"
Side Taunt: "Watch out!"
*Dark Pit performs a Spot Dodge after he finishes spinning his blades, the Spot Dodge happens when his crossed blades sparkle
Down Taunt: "Game on!"
-Time: ~1.2 Seconds

Final Smash

Pit
-Three Sacred Treasures-
"Equipped!" / "Bye now!" "Three Sacred Treasures!"
-Damage: Numerous types
Charge Shot: 12%
Green Homing Shots: 2%
Aimed Volley: 4%
Spreadshot Arrows: 2%
Glam Blaster: 15%
-K.O.: Several ways, but the Glam Blasters are the most potent
-Range: Varies
Charge Shot: Large shot, pre-aimed at opponent's general location before homing in
Green Homing Shots: A set of four green orbs, launch behind Pit and then home in, they cancel out when launching behind Pit if they come into contact with a wall
Aimed Volley: Three arrows pre-aimed at opponent's general location, fire straight
Spreadshot Arrows: Six arrows fired in a fanning shape in Pit's frontal view, from bottom to top
Glam Blaster: Four shots fired upward create eight huge descending blue beams
-----
Pit equips the Three Sacred Treasures and fires off any eight randomized energy attacks, followed by a rain of Glam Blasters.
Effectiveness varies due to its random attack pattern, although it is always more effective in battles with three or more players, and I've found that it tends to inflict around ~30% to all opposing players in most situations.

Dark Pit
-Dark Pit Staff-
"Goodbye!" / "Its time!"
-Damage: 1%-39% (40%)
-K.O.: 10%
-Range: Straight horizontal line, effectively infinite range, pierces through physical walls unhindered
-----
Dark Pit pulls out his Dark Pit Staff and fires a single shot horizontally with heavy knockback.
Hits twice and strangely gives him an extra hop if used from far enough off screen.

Other Stats

Note: Current measurements are temporary, will update with better measurements once I have a better form to measure by.

Weight Class: ???
1st Jump Height/Distance: Top of head ~3 Marios high/~5.5 Marios wide.
Short Hop Height/Distance: Top of head ~2 Marios high/~4 Marios wide.
2nd Jump Height/Distance: Top of head ~2.5 Marios high/~5 Marios wide.
3rd Jump Height/Distance: Top of head ~2.25 Marios high/~3 Marios wide.
4th Jump Height/Distance: Top of head ~1.75 Marios high/~2.5 Marios wide.
Combined Jump Height/Distance: ~5.5 Marios high/full Final Destination.
Power of Flight Height: Head reaches the top of the screen on "Camera Fixed" Omega Reset Bomb, ~7 Marios high.
Power of Flight Distance: From the left corner of Omega Reset Bomb to the CPU spawn area, ~5/6 Final Destination.
Combined Jump Height + Vertical Power of Flight: ~12 Mario's high.
Combined Jump Distance + Horizontal Power of Flight: Just under double the length of Final Destination.
Initial Dash Distance: ~2.5 Marios wide.
Jogging Speed: Crosses Final Destination ~3 seconds.
Running Speed: Crosses Final Destination ~2 seconds.
"Slow" Running Speed: Crosses Final Destination ~2.5 seconds.
Dodge Roll Distance/Speed: ~3 Marios wide/crosses Final Destination ~2.5 seconds.
Pummel Speed: ~2.5 hits per second.

Palutena's Guidance Character Chats

Placeholder Text

Contrary to the Smash Wiki and random people online, both Pit and Dark Pit have the same:
-Power of Flight distance, both vertical and horizontal
-Walking and running movement speed
-Aerial mobility
-Arrow speed
-General attack speed (not 100% on this, but I'm pretty confident)
-Sweetspots
-Down Air spike
-3-hit Jab combo, Forward Throw, Down Smash, and Back Air strength
-Idle animations and speed at which they cycle and play

Sweetspots and Spikes to keep in mind:
-Forward Tilt's "Tipper" sweetspot is near the tip, just after the blades "scissor".
Damage increases from 7% to 10%, knockback increases by roughly *1.3.
-Back Air's "Tipper" sweetspot is near the tip, just after the blades "scissor".
Damage jumps from 8% to 12%, knockback increases by roughly *2.
-Down Air spike is located at the bottom-most tip mid-swing.
Deals 10% regardless of when down air connects.

TLDR; Pit has a MUCH stronger forward tilt than Dark Pit.
That's it for now. May do more testing if requested.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hm, this is interesting. This means they do indeed have differences in at least one of their A moves.

Hey, I have a Pit/Dark Pit guide with KO%s on the Pit boards. All my data was tested for Pit, if you're wondering. If you ever want to do some more testing, there's a good place to start.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I just did a few hours of testing in order to help clarify people's misconceptions about the two.

Here are my results:
*Any K.O. percents used take an equal amount of "Rage" into account, but they DO NOT take the "Fresh Move Bonus" into account.

~Pit~
Palutena Bow
Normal Damage:
3%
Normal Reach: The entire length of Final Destination
Charged Damage: 8%
Charged Reach: Significantly more than the entire length of the "Camera Fixed" screen on Final Destination
Forward Angles: +/- 180º by arrow's end
Upward Angles: +/- 180º by arrow's end

Upperdash Arm
-Ground-
Damage:
11%
-On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Pit's Upperdash Arm will send Mario at a 10º angle, the apex of his height being the top of the highest window in the background, and he will land just left of Pit.
-Aerial-
Damage:
9%
-On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Pit's aerial Upperdash Arm will send Mario at a 10º angle, the apex of his height being the bottom-right corner of the highest window in the background, and he will land about two character lengths left of Pit.

Forward Tilt
Normal Damage:
7%
Normal K.O.: 183% to hit right-side blast line from CPU spawn point
Sweet Spot Damage: 10%
Sweetspot K.O.: 134% to hit right-side blast line from CPU spawn point

~Dark Pit~
Silver Bow
Normal Damage:
3%
Normal Reach: When dodge rolled all the way left, the middle of the "U" in CPU from where the CPU spawns in training mode
Charged Damage: 10%
Charged Reach: Just over the entire length of the "Camera Fixed" screen on Final Destination.
Forward Angles: +/- 10º by arrow's end
Upward Angles: +/- 10º by arrow's end

Electroshock Arm
-Ground-
Damage:
11%
-On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm will send Mario at a 60º angle, the apex of his height will have his feet resting on the top of the lower section of wall, and he will land just left of the first window.
-Aerial-
Damage:
9%
-On Omega Reset Bomb when Mario's damage is at 30%, Dark Pit's aerial Electroshock Arm will send Mario at a 75º angle, the apex of his height will have his hat just brushing top of the lower section of wall, and he will land between the two lower windows.

Forward Tilt
Normal Damage:
7%
Normal K.O.: 223% to hit right-side blast line from CPU spawn point
Sweetspot Damage: 10%
Sweetspot K.O.: 161% to hit right-side blast line from CPU spawn point
-----

Pit and Dark Pit have the same:
-Power of Flight distance, both vertical and horizontal
-Walking and running movement speed
-Aerial mobility
-Attack speed (not 100% on this, but I'm pretty confident)
-Sweetspots
-Down air spike
-3-hit combo, forward throw, down smash, and back air strength
-Idle animations and speed at which they cycle and play

The sweet spots I've found:
-The forward tilt sweetspot is near the tip, just after the blades "scissor".
Damage increases from 7% to 10%, knockback increases by roughly *1.3.
-Back air sweetspot is near the tip, just after the blades "scissor".
Damage jumps from 8% to 12%, knockback increases by roughly *2.
-Down air spike is located at the bottom-most tip mid-swing.
Deals 10% regardless of when down air connects.

TLDR; Pit has a MUCH stronger forward tilt than Dark Pit.
That's it for now.
May do more testing if requested.
This is some really useful information, keep it up!

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
By the way, any K.O. percents that I use are from where the CPU spawns at the beginning of the match, not respawning from death. The same is true of the distances that I came up with for the Arms, attacking leftward from Mario's right side.

When I have the time I'll add the K.O. percentage from the center of Final Destination.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
By the way, any K.O. percents that I use are from where the CPU spawns at the beginning of the match, not respawning from death. The same is true of the distances that I came up with for the Arms, attacking leftward from Mario's right side.

When I have the time I'll add the K.O. percentage from the center of Final Destination.
I've found KO%s for both the starting point and the respawn point for basically all of Pit's moves. Like I said, you can use 'em to jumpstart your research.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
I've found KO%s for both the starting point and the respawn point for basically all of Pit's moves. Like I said, you can use 'em to jumpstart your research.
Speaking of your guide, you might want to add the forward tilt differences to it once I've checked center K.O. percentage.
Also, I just did about 5 minutes of testing down tilt for spikes with both Pit and Dark Pit, hitting Mario roughly 100 times each in various stages of jumping, standing, and offstage, and have yet to see a spike occur. I think its pretty thoroughly debunked.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Speaking of your guide, you might want to add the forward tilt differences to it once I've checked center K.O. percentage.
Also, I just did about 5 minutes of testing down tilt for spikes with both Pit and Dark Pit, hitting Mario roughly 100 times each in various stages of jumping, standing, and offstage, and have yet to see a spike occur. I think its pretty thoroughly debunked.
Yeah, I'll get around to it. And I've also done plenty of Dtilt testing myself, and no spikes from here either. I'll be sure to put that tidbit in the guide also.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Done dtilting myself, no spikes.

Also this is an excellent discovery. Nice find! I shall be testing any potential differences soon as well.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I think you mean, TL:DR Dark Pit is just an edgier version of Pit

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So basically, Dark Pit has more trouble KOing than Pit? As if he needed that, considering Pit still has that issue. :(

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I still believe he has another move to make up for it. 'Sides, DP's main advantage is getting early KOs by intercepting recoveries with the Electroshock.
Isn't that based on luck though or perfect timing? I've barely played much DP, but I thought if it missed it KOs him, so any player who predicts it and it misses gets a free kill. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Isn't that based on luck though or perfect timing? I've barely played much DP, but I thought if it missed it KOs him, so any player who predicts it and it misses gets a free kill. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
It's pretty effective against those with low or bad recoveries. Like Little Mac, it's obvious how he'll recover, and the SA trumps both of his recovery moves. Pit would only help Mac in a situation like this, but DP would likely KO him. As far as I know, Mac's helpless.

Don't do it to :4ganondorf: for obvious reasons, though. I learned the hard way.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
It's pretty effective against those with low or bad recoveries. Like Little Mac, it's obvious how he'll recover, and the SA trumps both of his recovery moves. Pit would only help Mac in a situation like this, but DP would likely KO him. As far as I know, Mac's helpless.

Don't do it to :4ganondorf: for obvious reasons, though. I learned the hard way.
Ahh, so basically it's about advantages in MUs? That's good to know then!

SullyJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dejay15
3DS FC
4081-6913-3923
Electroshocking off stage won't put him into free fall or whatever its called, and he has a ridiculous recovery. I'm still learning how to hit people this way but there were times were I would miss, my opponent gets back onto stage and taunts, only for me to recover.
I wish I knew how to share this but I have a recording of me hitting a Little Mac through his K.O. Punch while he was falling back to stage with DP's Side-B.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
[
Electroshocking off stage won't put him into free fall or whatever its called, and he has a ridiculous recovery. I'm still learning how to hit people this way but there were times were I would miss, my opponent gets back onto stage and taunts, only for me to recover.
I wish I knew how to share this but I have a recording of me hitting a Little Mac through his K.O. Punch while he was falling back to stage with DP's Side-B.
An aerial KO punch, correct? A grounded one hits though the SA in my experience.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Done dtilting myself, no spikes.

Also this is an excellent discovery. Nice find! I shall be testing any potential differences soon as well.
Okay, I've just tested every move (besides customs) with Pit/Dark Pit. Here are my results:

Differences:
Final Smash
Arrows
Upperdash/Electroshock Arm
Forward Tilt

Similarities:
Jab Combo
Utilt
Dtilt
Usmash
Fsmash
Dsmash
Uair
Fair
Dair
Bair
Nair
Pummel
Dash Attack
Uthrow
Fthrow
Dthrow
Bthrow

...so, basically everything besides what we already knew about, barring the recently discovered Ftilt. Bummer.

All similar moves have the exact same damage and knockback. This was all tested on FD Pac-Maze due to the background being very useful as a distance indicator. All testing was done against a 100% damage Mario.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Okay, I've just tested every move (besides customs) with Pit/Dark Pit. Here are my results:

Differences:
Final Smash
Arrows
Upperdash/Electroshock Arm
Forward Tilt

Similarities:
Jab Combo
Utilt
Dtilt
Usmash
Fsmash
Dsmash
Uair
Fair
Dair
Bair
Nair
Pummel
Dash Attack
Uthrow
Fthrow
Dthrow
Bthrow

...so, basically everything besides what we already knew about, barring the recently discovered Ftilt. Bummer.

All similar moves have the exact same damage and knockback. This was all tested on FD Pac-Maze due to the background being very useful as a distance indicator. All testing was done against a 100% damage Mario.
...Dangit. DP really doesn't have anything to make up for his weaker Ftilt. Well, atleast I don't have to rewrite my guide...

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Dark Pit has winged eyeliner on and Pit doesn't. That's kind of a weird design choice difference.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I have confirmed that Dark Pit has a stronger F-throw then Pit. Try doing a comparison to see for yourself; Dark Pit's KOs earlier then Pit's.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
And they said DP was better than Pit. The F-tilt information was rather interesting, well all the info so far is great. Strange I was under the impression Pit was faster though, but the F-tilt thing... Now I know.
You get props for going outta your way to test all that for information.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
And they said DP was better than Pit. The F-tilt information was rather interesting, well all the info so far is great. Strange I was under the impression Pit was faster though, but the F-tilt thing... Now I know.
You get props for going outta your way to test all that for information.
DP is certainly better for certain matchups, *cough*:4littlemac:*cough* but I'd say Pit is more solid overall. Still, just don't write DP off. He's so similar, a Pit main could pick him up in an hour. Completely worth it too.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Here is the Wiki's list of differences here http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dark_Pit_(SSB4)

I think that Dark Pit has the same movement speed as Pit tho.
And I think they can both meteor smash with Dair.
Its not reliable... at all.

Power of Flight is EXACTLY equal between them, both vertically and horizontally.
Besides that, my tests show that their down smash and forward throw both have equal knockback at 0%/30%/50%/100%.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Found something new (to me, at least):
During Dark Pit's side taunt,; after he's done spinning the blades, just as he slashes to cross them and says "Watch out!" (in the US version) he becomes invincible for a split second just like when you perform a spot dodge.
Not exactly game changing, but pretty cool nonetheless.

As far as I know, was found out by a GameFaqs user called DracoXIV.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Considering FTilt and ELECTROSHOCK are two of my favorite moves with Dark Pit, I'm glad to know they are different to Pit's.

Top Bottom