• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the pros of being a lonely climber

Mr. Derp

Smash Apprentice
FORMALLY: Ryu777 ...OLD POST COUNT: around 500
I could never figure out why I seemed to do better once nana was dead. then a few days ago I realized I was caring too much about nana's survival. so I began dash dancing and seperating myself from her all I wanted, and it worked out great some advantages are:

1) I do very quick back and forth dashdancing which keeps her in my general area so if I wavedash/jump she will still do it with me.

2) if she does get sperated she is only a short bit away but opponent will still target her and in most cases youre close enough to own them b4 they won her anyway

3)I only use her for the occasional squall hammer/ice block/nanapult desynchs (and even then the desynchs become more like mindgames)

4) being able to focus mostly on popo lends greatly to self preservation

thoughts?

Lido-Gara

Smash Rookie
JUganthestar: I cant login from my friends comp lol. I totally agree with you sometimes my lives last like 2 whole stocks by myself, while when i have Nana i end up getting my *** gimped off lol. However, having nana with you is still better then one IC because you lose the following.

Double smash which is POWER
Any kind of desynch nanacloud (dont know if its correct), NanaBlock chase, Nanaspike
Wobbling is Lost which is bad for the occasional IceClimber
People will get peace of mind when nana is gone

When i play IceClimbers, i end up pulling mindgames and nearly only mindgames when im alone by wavesmashing, wave feinting and such which end up making me win somehow.

so yeah i totally agree with you

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
No1 cares about a game that ***** your soul and destroys your chances of ever having sex. And they certainly won't take the time to go to some site and look up what they do. Keep it on topic. And no matter what ppl say, having 1 climber is NEVER better. Sure, you might play smarter, but every move you do is reduced in dmg/usefullness. But still, I say it's good to practice...

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
No1 cares about a game that ***** your soul and destroys your chances of ever having sex. And they certainly won't take the time to go to some site and look up what they do. Keep it on topic. And no matter what ppl say, having 1 climber is NEVER better. Sure, you might play smarter, but every move you do is reduced in dmg/usefullness. But still, I say it's good to practice...
you are so right. that's why i quit months ago. i just still like to talk about it, plus all my friends still play. I've been trying to save them for months. but sorry, i'll stay on topic from now on

but if you know what the moves do, you'd know i am actually staying on topic. What i'm trying to say is that my friends get more nervous when i'm alone than when i'm paired because i do gr8 damage and stuff they didnt think i could do alone

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Is there any reason you can't just play smarter while Nana's still around? (Her stupidity notwithstanding)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well, I seem to be a lot more evasive, because that shield grab is hard when nanna shields a little to late....

But My wavedashing Is a lot less intimidating to my friends when Im alone, there is less smoke....

My friend is a wavedash a phobe, because he cannot do it, and I like to wavesmash him....

He is not that good

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you shouldn't worry about using solo popo while nana's still alive. play your ice climbers as ice climbers, desynching too much is just bad. heck, desynching with anything other than a grab can get risky.

only worry about using him by himself when nana's already dead. like some of you have said, yes, you tend to survive and DI better when you're alone because you don't have to worry about saving her/recovering with her. popo has a horizontal recovery to rival Donkey Kong's, but he is more easily edgeguarded.

popo's dthrow trajectory is similar to sheik's, so he still has a lot of chain grab potential against a bunch of characters. his uair has a lot of defensive range, and his smashes still pack a punch, not %-wise but knockback-wise.

unfortunately, popo has almost no priority and terrible range/hitboxes besides wd smashes, wd grabs, and uair. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT UAIR. if you can stay under an opponent, they don't really have any great options to come down on your uair, not even peach or falco.

also, IMO, the only reason people say marth, fox, falcon, and ganon counter ice climbers is because they kill nana so easily. i guess one can consider popo kinda like a midtier, he's not terrible, but he can still play well. however, solo popo still has a lot of problems with peach and samus.

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
playing with both ic is like playing teams, but one against 2 kinda like a handicap. However when we talk about teams in general its more like 2vs3 but im trying to find a good ic player to partner with so it will be more like 2vs4 hahahaa:laugh:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ICs suck in teams, they really to heavily on grab combo's to do well in teams, yes they deal a lot of damage and have great KO power, but they really to much on a grab to be really good in teams

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
i agree with ya there M4F, when i (a pro) team up with a noob against 2 good players we lose but still get them both down to their last stock (this was when nintendo world still had ssbm) but if i had another good player teamed up with i'd say we could be 2 stocking everybody.

UltimateShinigami im in NY.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
I think that by having half of ur character gone, people tend to underestimate the power of the lone climber...

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
It has everything to do with your opponent.

-Ice Climbers are impossible to space when together, but Popo all in his lonesome gets people thinking about that among other things.

-People are anxious to finally earn that KO, because the job is 1/2 done.

-A HUGE part of strategy for fighting Ice Climbers is isolating Nana and killing her. What do you do when you have to face the hammer-wielding angry boyfriend? I don't think most people know how to fight just Popo.

LuCKy

Smash Master
ics=own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ic=own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! either own so whats it matter?

Spontaneous Spaz

Smash Cadet
It could work for tactical mindgames.

the only sort of mind games possible are with nana... nanapult...blockchase...and many other desynch combos..

i always seem to do better with nana, and tend to suck it up with popo alone. This means, i get mostly all of my kills with the aid of nana. A climber alone is just half a climber, all ur skills do literaly half damage, and you have twice as much a chance of being grabbed and hit by projectiles, being nana isn't there to be a meat shield.

pros of one climber: you can dashdance successfully
-mindgames don't work as well with one climber as well as with 2 (ex: wavedashing back and forth, making no progress, enemy is doing same... all of a sudden, u dash towards him, pivot, make nana jump, u dash in for the kill. nana jumped distracting enemy)

2 ARE BETTER THAN1

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
not only are they brother and sister, they're TWIN brother and sister. idk wut that guy is smokin
okay, you got me; I was higher than a kite when I wrote that, but it's still a valid statement.

killing the ******** cpu is one thing, killing the human is much more difficult.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
the only sort of mind games possible are with nana... nanapult...blockchase...and many other desynch combos..

i always seem to do better with nana, and tend to suck it up with popo alone. This means, i get mostly all of my kills with the aid of nana. A climber alone is just half a climber, all ur skills do literaly half damage, and you have twice as much a chance of being grabbed and hit by projectiles, being nana isn't there to be a meat shield.

pros of one climber: you can dashdance successfully
-mindgames don't work as well with one climber as well as with 2 (ex: wavedashing back and forth, making no progress, enemy is doing same... all of a sudden, u dash towards him, pivot, make nana jump, u dash in for the kill. nana jumped distracting enemy)

2 ARE BETTER THAN1
Being 1 climber is a mindgame in itself... its like playing against a different character...

mathis4dorkz

Smash Cadet
i think we are all forgetting the confidence boost of killing with only one climber :)

i know i feel proud and coinfident when i last a stock or two with only popo.

Top Bottom