• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Proposed" Ruleset Stage Discussion: Vote Here

Do you agree with the new stage list?

• Yes

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 111 91.7%

• Total voters

Ulevo

Smash Master
EDIT: If people want to see revisions made to the proposed stage list, vote on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BearUNLV/status/828735205984739328

Hello.

In light of the recent events regarding the new ruleset being proposed for major tournaments, I wanted to detail some information that I thought was important to the discussion, and give a place where this can be talked about. I will be giving my thoughts on the matter in the opening post. As a Meta Knight player, much of my examples will be coming from my character experience, but this by no means only pertains to just these examples.

The original post by Tantalus detailing the changes can be found here.

The post of Tantalus talking about the feedback on the new ruleset that has been received can be found here.

I am not going to be talking about why having a three stage starter list is a problem because a poster by the name of remziz4 detailed a fine argument as to why this is an issue, which is detailed in this reddit thread.

For those of you who want to familiarize yourself with the stage dimensions, including their size, lengths, blast zone data, event intervals, refer to these specific threads:

Wii U Stage Blastzone Data

Stage Directory

First things first...

DUCK HUNT:
For those of you who are not properly informed as to how this stage actually functions, here is a detailed video from My Smash Corner explaining the stage in great detail:

I will say this early on, this stage needed to be banned.

When evaluating a stage to determine if it should be included in the stage list, you need to consider whether or not the faults of the stage outweigh the benefits it provides by its inclusion. There was one problem in particular that has gone seemingly unnoticed but is the biggest reason for why this stage should be excluded:

This is a snapshot of Mario's up smash hitting a duck as it spawns from the grass. Why is this a problem? If all of the ducks are not killed in within the 16 second time frame that they are out before flying away, they spawn every 18 seconds at random. There is no way to know ahead of time where these ducks will spawn, and when hit will absorb the hitbox that was intended to hit the opposing player. Not only that, but the player that hits the ducks will be put into hit lag. A Mario up smash in this instance freezes the player for approximately 11 frames. As a Meta Knight player, I have lost tournament sets due to this issue, where my Shuttle Loop would connect with a duck spawning out of the grass, which would freeze my character for approximately 6 frames.

For those of you who have ever lost a game on Town & City or Smashville because you hit the balloon at the wrong time, imagine this potentially occurring every 18 seconds or less. You are potentially rolling the dice 20 times in a 6 minute match. Do you deem this acceptable?

Competitive players seek to reduce the impact that RNG can have as much as possible. This has been a big focus on the new recommended rulesets objectives, and is why Lylat Cruise, and even Town & City with its stretcher platforms have been brought in to question. This is the most prevalent form of RNG within the 7 legal stages we have had up until now, and it is my feeling Duck Hunt deserves to be excluded on this point alone.

Another issue with Duck Hunts inclusion on the stage list with the other six is that it saturated the stage list with too many flat oriented stages. On a side note, Town & City begins with the Town transformation for 30 seconds, which is a flat stage with high platforms, then goes through a 10 second transformation where it is entirely flat, then moves to a platform layout for 30 seconds, then takes another 10 seconds to transform back to Town in order to complete the cycle. This means Town & City consists of a flat layout 60% of the time.

With Final Destination being entirely flat, Smashville being a smaller version with a moving platform, and Town & City being a flat stage the majority of the time, having Duck Hunt burdened the stage list in favor of characters that like to play without platform concentration. Duck Hunt has approximately 27% more room to run on than Smashville. As much criticism there is for Dreamland 64 acting as a second Battlefield, Duck Hunt is a worse offender of stage redundancy. Assuming Smashville was played game one, the player favoring flat stages still has two options to pick after bans with the previous stage list, which is silly.

While these were the most important points, Duck Hunt has its usual problems that have already been addressed, such as promoting degenerative gameplay, and providing characters like Bayonetta and Sonic a massive advantage.

Moving on to the next order of business...

Removing Lylat Cruise & Fusing Battlefield/Dreamland 64:
As I mentioned previously, Duck Hunts inclusion saturated the stage list with flat oriented layouts. With the new ruleset in play, this problem has gone from bad to worse. With Lylat Cruise gone, and Battlefield and Dreamland 64 acting as the same stages for player bans, this means that the only options a player can choose from are Smashville, Town & City, and Final Destination. This is a huge problem.

Here are some tournament sets of Ito vs Zinoto, both considered to be some of the best players of their respective characters:

Ito vs Zinoto Winners Semis:

Ito vs Zinoto Grand Finals:
The set count plays out as such. Winners Semis, Ito wins game 1 on Smashville. Zinoto wins game 2 on Final Destination. Zinoto wins game 3 on Town & City. Ito wins game 4 on Dreamland. Ito wins game 5 on Smashville. In Grand Finals, Ito wins game 1 on Smashville. Game 2, Ito wins on Battlefield. Game 3, Zinoto wins on Battlefield. Game 4, Ito wins on Dreamland.

Here is another example:

Zero vs Abadango Grand Finals:
Going into the set, Abadango goes to Battlefield as Mewtwo against Zero's Diddy and loses. Game 2, Abadango counterpicks to Lylat Cruise as Meta Knight and wins. Game 3, Abadango loses on Smashville. Game 4, Abadango wins on Dreamland. Game 5 takes place on Battlefield, and Zero manages to take the set killing Abadango at 183%.

The trend here is that in this particular match up, like many in this game, platforms are important to offset the advantage that flat stages provide. Most of the games that Meta Knight won on were Lylat or the tri-platforms because the platforms provide relief from Banana pressure. Going into the new ruleset, there will be none of these because the opponent can remove them with a single ban.

Lylat Cruise:
This stage has received a lot of criticism due to bugs that can cause players to pass through the stage at any one given time.

"Lylat Cruise - This stage is objectively broken, and it is a matter of time before it costs someone big time. Objectively Broken being this: the stage's platforms have gaps in them which can cause a variety of issues depending on how the stage is tilted. You can sometimes SD, sometimes fall through the stage, and sometimes even make it back when you wouldn't be able to normally. We'd be happy to generate evidence if you're interested.

- Tantalus"

Evidence should be provided if you are proposing to change the status quo, not provided after your proposal is brought into question, but I digress.

As I explained previously, a stage's inclusion or exclusion needs to be considered with both its problems and its merits within the list to make a proper decision. A lot of the issues with this stage can be remedied by simply being informed as a player.

Here is a video showcasing the kinds of things that can happen on Lylat, and what happened at the MLG Finals 2015 with Mr. R vs Scatt:

This should be obvious, but the reason Scatt failed to recover was because he missed the ledge snap and went underneath the stage, hoping that the wall would slide him up to auto snap. As a Meta Knight player who has plenty of leniency when recovering on this stage, I can tell you even characters with good recoveries are not immune to this if you recover carelessly. You can still get caught under the stage, and you can pass through it the underside. However, if you make the effort to deliberately aim for the edge and not the underside you will rarely have issues recovering.
The point here is not that Lylat Cruise is without its problems, but that the issues present with the stage can be factored into and reasonably avoided with proper stage knowledge.

The merits to the stage also far outweigh the cons it presents. We have already played with a 5 starter list with Lylat included before, and it helps to avoid the problems detailed by remziz4 regarding a 3 starter list. It helps to counter balance the presence of flat stages within the list. It also has unique counterpick characteristics. The tilts help alleviate projectile pressure, the platforms help with combo extension and vertical pressure without the same congestion that Battlefield and Dreamland have, making it easier to land, and there are many character specific techs on this stage that make it a valuable addition, such as Pikachu's QAC, or Villager's Lloid Rockets travelling along the tilts on the base floor.

Considerations on Dreamland 64:
It should be pretty obvious to everyone by now that Dreamland 64 and Battlefield are not the same stage. One of the criticisms brought about by Dreamland 64 and Battlefield existing within the same list is that they saturate the list with tri-platforms, and that if you ban one, your opponent will use the other. However, as players like @Dabuz have pointed out in their video critiques for the proposed ruleset, there is often more similarities with Town & City and Dreamland then there is with Battlefield.

As you can see, there are a lot of ways in which Mario can abuse this stage versus Meta Knight, all of which involve ladder combos and combo extensions. This is possible because of the average ceiling height in tandem with the platforms. However, Battlefield would not allow for these combos to kill the majority of the time, if at all.

In contrast, I as a Meta Knight player will ban Dreamland in tournament because it affects my ability to ladder my opponent, while Battlefield does not. On Dreamland, if you do a short hop up air into a double jump up air, you land on the lower platforms without the ability to double jump a second time. If you do a full hop up air, double jump up air, you also cannot do a second double jump without landing on the middle platform. This makes laddering some characters to death on this stage difficult despite its average ceiling height, and so I leave Battlefield open.

Another example would be Zero Suit Samus. Versus Zero Suit Samus, rage excluded, there is no possible way for her to kill Meta Knight on Battlefield if the Meta Knight player DI's her up air combos properly. However, on Dreamland, this indeed becomes possible, which is why I ban Dreamland against every Zero Suit Samus I play in tournament. The only other stage these types of combos have the potential to kill through the ceiling is Town & City.

The tri-platforms existing in the same starter list have been criticized primarily because of the prevalence of ladder combos and vertical kill confirms, however Battlefield's higher ceiling often prevents these situations in the first place. Additionally, it is arbitrary to decide that ladder combos need to be artificially restricted while consequently deciding that characters who excel on flat stages should have free reign to do so.

Dreamland 64 is not without its issues. The wind specifically presents a problem from time to time when the camera angle is panned out of the view of Whispy, such as this:

In these circumstances, it can be difficult to ascertain when the wind is blowing, which can disrupt spacing, effect kill confirms, push a player towards their opponent on the ledge, and even save opponents from shield breaks by pushing them off the stage.

These are considerations that need to be made for whether or not Dreamland should be included. However, Dreamland is not without its benefits, and the fact that it has been decided to be lumped together with Battlefield in the same list needs to be scrutinized. It should be treated as a separate stage, or removed all together.

Concluding Thoughts:
"I think it is important that we let this bake in competition for a bit before we go and make another abrupt change, because current criticisms need to either be debunked or validated by hard facts, and there is no better way to get that than holding events.

- Tantalus"

A handful of tournament organizers decided they knew what would be best for the entire national competitive player base, and assumed that if people had a problem with the new changes, it fell on the players to validate their arguments. Tournaments are ultimately for the players, not the organizers, and it is the players who should have the final say.

It is my feeling that a conservative change should be made to the ruleset in which Duck Hunt is banned from the stage list, we revert back to the original five starter list of Smashville, Battlefield, Final Destination, Town & City, and Lylat Cruise, with Dreamland as a counter pick. We cannot make proper assessments of the meta with these stages included like Tantalus is suggesting because the meta without platform stages will be totally alien from what we have been playing with until this point. With such drastic changes being issued, stage bans should be treated one at a time until we can get a unified ruleset most people can agree on. I also do not think entertaining the idea of stages like PS2 being legal are healthy at this time because it distracts from the main issues we currently have with the stage list. If stages like PS2 are going to be considered, it should be after we have a more stable rule set.

Lastly, here are videos from Dabuz and ESAM detailing their perspectives on the stage lists, which I think have valid arguments:

If you have a problem with this ruleset, voice your opinions, otherwise we could be dealing with the consequences for a long time. Vote and discuss.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Having just 3 starters can really unbalance the game and make Rock, Paper, Scissors matter even more. Regardless of what we end up deciding to do with Duck Hunt we should keep 5 starters.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I said in the Competitive Impressions thread that Tantalus is a biased fool, for banning Lylat and suggesting broken stages in return. Among his suggestions there is Pokemon Stadium 2, which has a lot of supporters. My question is, why do people like this stage? It is the definition of jank in all the senses of the word. The ice stage is annoying to travel through, the wind stage is also super annoying and opens doors for the most BS of deaths, the electric stage has the conveyer belts that push you offstage, ruin ledge getups, and the only safe places are super small platforms that are close to the blastzone. Only the starting layout and the ground are OK, but the rest add to the things to worry about.

Yikarur

Smash Master
3 Startes and NO DSR is so awful.
if your opponent's two best stages are either among the 3 starters (hi Sheik), you have 2 games guaranteed on them. (Opponent bans SV, you pick FD, if you win, but lose Game 2, your opponent bans SV, you get FD again -> this sucks)

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
What's with these limited choice options?

I don't agree with Lylat, but agree with DH and am not sure what to think of BF+DL together.

Overall I'd rather follow it than have the previous one.

In Austria we've played with 3 starters + no DH since quite a while so I'm used to that ruleset.
Can't say DH is a fitting tournament stage, but opinions differ on that one.

I think I like 5 starters more, but anyway, I'd rather choose "yes" here since I mostly agree and just to get rid of DH since it's stupid.

Also, you can just "gentlemans agreement" onto the BF/DL you didn't ban by saying "I only ban BF and not DL" so your opponent knows. It's not a tournament illegal stage so you can just ban one of them if you want to.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
If you choose yes you say yes to BF/DL, 3 starters and both lylat and DH gone.
If you just want DH gone, no is your answer.
(I prefer DH to be removed as well)

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think I like 5 starters more, but anyway, I'd rather choose "yes" here since I mostly agree and just to get rid of DH since it's stupid.
I'm pretty okay with removing Duck Hunt. I'm iffy on the BF/DL split. I dislike removing Lylat and moving T&C to counter-pick. I voted "No". If you prefer 5 starters you should probably vote "no" as well. Duck Hunt might be gone either way, but we might be able to save Lylat.

Luigi player

Smash Master
If you choose yes you say yes to BF/DL, 3 starters and both lylat and DH gone.
If you just want DH gone, no is your answer.
(I prefer DH to be removed as well)
Exactly, but then no one is sure what exactly the problem is. I didn't choose anything because I don't feel like it shows my opinion accurately enough.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Exactly, but then no one is sure what exactly the problem is. I didn't choose anything because I don't feel like it shows my opinion accurately enough.
I kept it to a yes or no poll on purpose. The bottom line is that regardless of what your specific gripe is with the ruleset, a select few individuals made massive changes with widespread implications without consulting basically anyone, and if you disagree with any of it, you should be able to have a say as a player.

The thread itself is meant to discuss your specific issues.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I think the biggest problem with the new ruleset is that it limits stage diversity. I know that sounds wrong considering why certain other stages were thrown out but only having three starting stages? I mean I play for glory which only has one stage and I find myself playing crazy orders out of boredom. Stage diversity makes playing smash more interesting.

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
A couple of more things to consider for the argument against keeping Dreamland *at all*

On Dreamland, jab locks don’t work as they normally do on other stages. You cannot jab lock towards the center of Dreamland, this can drastically affect matches for certain characters. Using my character as an example: If Wario Fairs a Sheik around 50%, she’s forced to tech. If she misses the tech, I can jab lock her with either late hit fair or late hit Dash Attack and then finish her off: however, on DL they won’t work if she gets sent towards the center of the stage and she could even punish my dash attack on hit as it won’t trip. Not only this, 99% of moves that trip will not trip towards the center of Dreamland. The exception to the rule is banana (LOL).

Wispy also messes with item placements (even though this only affects a few characters, it is notable) and spacing among other things, Dreamland is just a bad stage and I’m not sure why people want to keep it.

QualityQ

Smash Apprentice
The point here is not that Lylat Cruise is without its problems, but that the issues present with the stage can be factored into and reasonably avoided with proper stage knowledge.
I'll throw in a bit more here since a number of the "Ban Lylat" arguments often ignore critical details.

First of all, going through the stage is NOT random *as this video demonstrates*. It happens to your character when the stage is at a tilt, often for very specific moves in certain situations. By playing this stage a simple number of times (50?) and testing your character's moves while the stage tilts, you can easily figure out what uncommon scenarios cause this to happen. The point is, there are specific factors that "trigger" going through the stage, it is not something random like DH duck locations.

Second of all, which is most important but often least expressed, going through the stage on Lylat has never provided any competitive advantage to any character with any sort of consistency. Simply: going through the stage has not been used for competitive advantage. There are no players specifically choosing lylat to abuse the stage, to get some sort of advantage. If this were a real thing that ever happened, it would be grounds to ban the stage, but it does not happen.

DH is a debatable stage; Lylat is not. And a 5 stage start provides many benefits to the game's health that are lost in 3-stage format.

Small sub-argument: the selection for omega stages has very little discussion/explanation to it. Why not omega boxing ring, for example?

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Or Omega Super Mario Maker and Pac-Land, that have the distinction of being 2-D, and, among other things, hiding the charge warning of Shadow Sneak, or making spotdodges less effective.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
QualityQ QualityQ Oh Pls no Omega Boxing ring. It screws Warp recoveries over. If you try to recover near to the wall you will probably SD.

it just pushes you away from the Stage.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Most people aren't happy with how best of 5s have been turning out with this stage list.

I agree with removing duck hunt but past that can't agree with much else.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Despite the complaint about the ducks on Duck Hunt... I still think its the best CP option we realistically have. To me, its within acceptable range for "good for some characters, bad for others" without going too far. The fact they come out of the ground means aerial fighters have an advantage (as they have time to react), as do those who use ranged combat a lot in general (particularly since its an other option for battling running away on this stage).

CPs can cost somebody a game yes... and that isn't inherently bad. Lylat punishes those with extremely liner recoveries as they can't correct for the stage tilting the wrong direction. Its something that punishes certain types of characters. Duck Hunt punishes those with low mobility/range, and those who rely very heavily on their ground game.

We need as many stages as possible on the list in order to combat characters that borderline don't care which stage they're taken to (Sheik) in order to give characters at least a fighting chance. Gives them ability to go to a stage that Sheik/Diddy is merely "decent" at instead of "is absolutely bonkers". We barely had enough stages for that with the old list. We can't afford to drop the number at all. UCT isn't an option due to motion sickness and other issues. PS2 I'm personally fine with, but there's a lot of potential stalling on the stage + potential "jank" during the wind section. I'd be fine with Castle Siege as well but people are afraid of the second transition. Delfino is no go due to the stupid low ceilings during transformations, and people freak out about Halberd's hazards (along with the fact that its low ceiling doesn't allow the stage to be different enough from the others).

That really only leaves Duck Hunt. Certainly shouldn't be neutral no, but its the best CP option we have. And we need that stage number.

Claytonic

Smash Rookie
Is there any way we could make some legal custom stages? Could they be downloaded from an official source under the share feature of the game?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've already presented my arguments in the original posted on the home page, so anyone can find my arguments there. I'll say that I'm glad that we don't have to use GameCube controllers only. I don't care about Lylat Cruise. I never have. I don't see the problem with Duck Hunt. As a Samus main, that stage actually benefits me. Samus is fast, but not fast like Zamus. Allowing Samus space is great for me. I'll admit, the first time I played Sm4sh, I didn't like Duck Hunt. The stage was kind of confusing to me, but it grew on me. (Thanks, Johnny Westside! It's like when I didn't like Pokémon Stadium, but when I played against Xyro, I fell in love with it!)

Anyway, the new standards are **** in my opinion. The only gold is using different controllers.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Banning Final Destination shouldn't ban the Omegas, and banning Battlefield shouldn't ban Dream Land 64 and vise versa. I guess banning FD makes sense to also ban the Omegas, but BF and DL aren't anything alike, aside from the platform placement. Aside from that, ESAM did a test on Dream Land where you can't jab lock or you can Quick Attack Cancel in certain parts of the stage itself (not including the platforms), whereas you can on Battlefield. Then there Wispy Woods blowing wind, and the height of the platforms. I can now see why Duck Hunt is banned. It makes sense, but I really wish that stage wasn't being banned. If it was just stalling alone, I would have just said that stalling is being banned, therefore, the removal of that stage was unnecessary.

I don't think Lylat should be banned. This is coming from someone whose main has difficulty recovering on that stage. But I have been practicing and it would be waste to remove that for those who have been practicing there. I've never dealt with the glitch on that stage, and I don't think it's very common, anyway. So I don't think that stage itself shouldn't be banned. But that's just my opinion.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
In case anyone hasn't seen it, they've released a revised ruleset:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spkevo

Personally I don't think either DH nor Lylat should be banned. DH is a counterpick for a reason and should remain that way. But at least one of them has come back.

The reinstatement of DSR - or at least a modified version of it, is good. We won't get entire sets played out on Smashville now.

I still can't fathom how DL and BF are being treated as the same stage though, because they clearly are very different. Why don't we treat Mario and Luigi as the same character while we are at it? This seriously needs to be reverted back to them being treated as 2 separate stages.

Also, keep going ahead and disqualifying people if they want to agree to play on a non-legal stage. I'm sure that's a great way to build the community.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Basically everyone with arguments agrees that DL and BF should be seperated but they decided against it. They are also ignoring any attempt to talk to them about Mii's even though the majority in every poll so far was in favor of all moves Mii's. Smash 4 US is trapped in an Oligarchy and I really don't like that the ruleset panelists are mainly from about the same region.

I really don't know what to think about the whole thing anymore :(

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
As usual, the rules go against the opinion of the majority. Are these TOs supposed to be "experts" or something? I get that they're "experts" at running tournaments, but how are they experts on how the game should be played? Minor variation in rules (particularly more subjective things like stages, stocks, and *gasp* customs) should be encouraged, not crushed by the self-appointed officials.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
As usual, the rules go against the opinion of the majority. Are these TOs supposed to be "experts" or something? I get that they're "experts" at running tournaments, but how are they experts on how the game should be played? Minor variation in rules (particularly more subjective things like stages, stocks, and *gasp* customs) should be encouraged, not crushed by the self-appointed officials.
It's not like any of these "experts" have a PhD in Smash, so I think the rules should take a democratic approach. I think authority gets to a lot of people and whatever they say, goes. Essentially, what we're seeing here is the popular vote versus the electoral college.

And look, the poll doesn't have DH. The stage that actually benefits me the most.

Last edited by a moderator:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I wouldn't compare it to the electoral college. Politicians study law (and political science) and generally have experience at a lower level (unless they're at the lowest level still). The only thing these TOs have going for them is that they've proven they can run big events. But there's more to the ruleset than just running the event. This is a competitive game. It has to both foster skill development ("competitive") and be fun ("game"). TOs don't have any more say on those two things than any of us. And since there is no official body in control of competitive Smash, the power should be in the hands of the players, not the self appointed experts.

I just can't believe how many local tournaments are following this ruleset because it's "official".

KillerqueenxTusk

Smash Rookie
It would be more like taking the vote away from the people entirely and asserting yourself as emperor until they come up with a nicely worded letter about how they don't appreciate it.

Top Bottom