• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't a lot of older people play Layton like 30 + year old's (mostly based from what I have heard years ago and seen on adverts) those people are not really going to play smash are they
As far as I know the largest userbase of the Layton franchise seems to be females, (Or at least, they tend to be most vocal ones in the fanbase) I wouldn't be surprised if a number of adults in their 30's or 40's have maybe played the series too, at least those who enjoy playing puzzle games.

Now how many of these older people would play a game like Smash, probably little. But from the female userbase, they seem to be very vocal in their want for Layton in Smash, even campaigning for him and all.
Some apparently even support some other Layton characters too but eh..... let's just focus on getting Layton himself in for now.....

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice

Yes please.

Thanks for posting this! I haven't started my Smash Ballot for Layton yet because I've been really busy these past few weeks, but I should hopefully work on it sometime soon. Your ideas will help me get started on what I'll put on my Ballot; I mean, I'm going to prepare one good 500-word essay so that I can offer strong input for Layton's inclusion. Of course, I'll use some of my own reasons for his Smash Bros inclusion as well, and I'll be sure to post it here on the forums once its finished.

As for all of the other Layton supporters on this thread, I do have some things to share. I have a reveal trailer idea for Layton as well, one that I had since October. I'm going to post that in a short while though. In addition to the Smash Ballot, there's one bit of work I must take care of before I share my reveal trailer idea, because it'll only make sense when I take care of that other piece of work first (you'll see what I mean in the coming weeks).

EDIT: Here, let me give you all a hint coin.

When I mean "one bit of work I must take care of before I share my reveal trailer idea," the hint lies in my signature. If you look at my sig, you might already know where I'm getting at.
Ooh, a bit of work, eh? All bits of work towards Layton in Smash sound good to me.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh now that I think about it, I think I recall Miyamoto praising the Professor Layton franchise (as well as Animal Crossing) for bringing in a lot of female users for the DS.

Or at least something along those lines. I think it was discussed before in this thread. I'll see if I can dig up the article and quote once I have more time.

So I think the largest userbase of the Professor Layton franchise are indeed females.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Really? I don't think there's anything in the Layton Games which would particularly appeal to either gender... It's puzzle game and the character designs don't look like they're aimed at any particular audience.

I guess a true gentleman is truly irresistible. :troll:

:231:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Well, just emailed Level-5 America with a massive essay as to why it'd be a positive business move to announce support for Layton in the game. Not sure if this will come to anything, but I've sown some seeds anyway.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Really? I don't think there's anything in the Layton Games which would particularly appeal to either gender... It's puzzle game and the character designs don't look like they're aimed at any particular audience.
Well Layton does go all "A true gentleman always puts a lady's needs first", "A gentleman always helps a lady in need" etc etc in the games. So I wouldn't be too surprised if a few women feel flattered by it and all....
I guess a true gentleman is truly irresistible. :troll:

Well considering the way most of the Layton fanbase behaves over at Tumblr and DeviantArt, you may not be too far off. He's practically a ladies man! :troll:

Well, just emailed Level-5 America with a massive essay as to why it'd be a positive business move to announce support for Layton in the game. Not sure if this will come to anything, but I've sown some seeds anyway.
Well every little helps, well done. :)

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Why didn't anyone think about emailing Level-5 earlier? :U
Geno fans already did this with Square.
I felt reluctant because I'd have to email the American branch, which naturally isn't as effective as getting to the Japanese branch. But then again, if anyone is reading this and has Japanese better than mine, please do go ahead and drop them a line.
:p

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
I would email them (in English, though it would totally be worth learning Japanese for) but I have literally no idea what to write. Still, it has occurred to me that Level-5 have been pretty big in Nintendo's history generally. I was going through the list of their games on the website and the vast majority that appeared after Curious Village (so 2007 onwards) were DS or 3DS titles. I never realised quite how prolific they were on Nintendo handheld systems, which surely makes them one of the more prominent picks for a third party inclusion. But if they were going to get a Smash rep, I'd say it's between Professor Layton, Mark Evans or that guy from Yokai Watch. Two of those series are still going which may hinder the Prof a bit, but if he got the thumbs up from Miyamoto himself... well, I'd like to think that counts for something.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I would email them (in English, though it would totally be worth learning Japanese for) but I have literally no idea what to write. Still, it has occurred to me that Level-5 have been pretty big in Nintendo's history generally. I was going through the list of their games on the website and the vast majority that appeared after Curious Village (so 2007 onwards) were DS or 3DS titles. I never realised quite how prolific they were on Nintendo handheld systems, which surely makes them one of the more prominent picks for a third party inclusion. But if they were going to get a Smash rep, I'd say it's between Professor Layton, Mark Evans or that guy from Yokai Watch. Two of those series are still going which may hinder the Prof a bit, but if he got the thumbs up from Miyamoto himself... well, I'd like to think that counts for something.
When I emailed, I set out this rough draft:

-hey bros love layton games hyped for Layton 7
-btw you heard of the smash ballot? yeah this thing is pretty big and other companies like Microsoft and Ubisoft are showing active support for their stars Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman
-so Layton is a big guy on the DS and a fair few folk support him, BUT an official announcement would get people talking
-people talking promotes game sales bros
-and y'know if your boy layton gets in you'll get cuts of the DLC value and tasty AMIIBO hype sales
-go tell Akihiro Hino to do the thing with all his Twitter followers
-once again hyped for layton 7 you guys rock hope you consider this business move

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wouldn't it be more convenient to get it directly to Nintendo of Japan, though? Sure, getting to the company that makes Layton is a good idea, but getting to the core, the one that makes Smash happen, wouldn't be out of the question and would be a great use of Japanese.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The loudest ones are the indie companies because, honestly speaking, this is free publicity for them. Better established companies don't really need that attention - they already have enough as it is, so they aren't super-invested to get their character into Smash. While for indies, it's a HUGE respect to see one of their characters selected.

This is my take on the situation anyway.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm wondering why the other big companies like Square and Level-5 are keeping quiet with the ballot, maybe they have some deal going on with Nintendo now?
They are probably just trying to be a bit more professional over this and just waiting for Nintendo/Sakurai to approach them for their content in Smash or something. Or perhaps they may have some things going on behind the scene's in regards to Smash, who knows.

As Falkoopa said, it's mainly the smaller developers like indies making a huge ruckus over the Smash ballot.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Come to think of it, being somewhat desperate for the limelight by any means necessary is what I would expect of Microsoft and Ubisoft by any means necessary. Not something I would expect Level-5 to do, as Akihiro Hino seems like quite a chill fellow. Level-5 have been relaxed, but I'm still surprised that so far no Level-5 memorabilia made it into the game, as one of the larger companies that work nearly exclusively for Nintendo consoles on many of their franchises.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They are probably just trying to be a bit more professional over this and just waiting for Nintendo/Sakurai to approach them for their content in Smash or something. Or perhaps they may have some things going on behind the scene's in regards to Smash, who knows.

As Falkoopa said, it's mainly the smaller developers like indies making a huge ruckus over the Smash ballot.
or it could simply not mean a thing

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
or it could simply not mean a thing
In other words. We can just speculate all day, but for all we know, neither side is interested unless there is some sort of demand for it.

That's why we should support our characters the best we can in order to create interest and convincing the creators that it's worth it. Which may or may not be easier said than done....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Never thought of emailing level 5 i will also suggest ideas for a new layton game in hopes they do not ruin the series with layton 7

Martingale

Smash Apprentice

Hey look, someone notable supports Layton. :estatic:
And I'm delighted to see that he has gone into a bit of detail as to what sort of movesets he could pull off, including some footage. Not thorough, but hey! A lot of people dismiss layton as not having a realistic moveset.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just finished making a 3D model of Flora. I wonder when the model resources will post Layton's Azran Legacy model. I wouldn't mind trying to make a hypothetical Smash 4 model for Layton.... :T

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
o well but the models in those games look very similar to the ones used in smash 3ds shame they are not available

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
o well but the models in those games look very similar to the ones used in smash 3ds shame they are not available
Yeah they do indeed look a lot like the art style used for Smash 3DS, so that's really half the work out of the way if they wished to simply import his model from Azran Legacy. Layton would just need an HD model for the Wii U then. :p

I would like to try and rebuild Layton's Azran Legacy model from the ground up and see if I can make his design look like as if he came from Smash Wii U. I looked through Toon Link's Smash for Wii U model and from what I've seen. it should be doable.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
not sure if you can get the wii fighters model as the top hat i imagine would be the same as laytons

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sure thing. Here's Flora's 3D model by the way in case you guys are interested.
Anyway, in the meantime I'll probably start on working on a 3D model for Lip from Panel de Pon.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Sure thing. Here's Flora's 3D model by the way.

Anyway, in the meantime I'll probably start on working on a 3D model for Lip from Panel de Pon.
Ahhh! This is yours. I had just come across this on tumblr through my laytonsmash account and reblogged it, pretty awesome work!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ahhh! This is yours. I had just come across this on tumblr through my laytonsmash account and reblogged it, pretty awesome work!
Yeah that's me. And thanks it took me quite a few months to work on but she's finally done. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out imo. For my first 3D model that is.... ^^

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks. I'm happy to see that many people liked how my first character model turned out. I just need to do a bit more polishing up here and there and then I'll see if I will implement it into any things.

I will hopefully do Layton himself too sometime.

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
That model is beautiful! I wish I could create 3D models like that.
That reminded me, I recreated some of the Layton alts I made using his official artwork from PLvsPW:AA. I don't know if you'll be able to see them, but I'll try and leave them here for you guys to check out... and excuse some of the rough edges around the hat.
EDIT: Disregard this. I'm working on fixing the images.

Flora Alt:

Luke Alt:

Emmy Alt:

Chelmey Alt:

Don Paolo Alt:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That reminded me, I recreated some of the Layton alts I made using his official artwork from PLvsPW:AA. I don't know if you'll be able to see them, but I'll try and leave them here for you guys to check out... and excuse some of the rough edges around the hat.

Flora Alt:

Luke Alt:

Emmy Alt:

Chelmey Alt:

Don Paolo Alt:
Uhh... the images appear to be broken.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Flora Alt:

Luke Alt:

Emmy Alt:

Chelmey Alt:

Don Paolo Alt:
It took a bit of trial and error but I feel that I could have probably got it done a bit quicker. Oh well, it's only my first 3D model.....

your images seem to be broken though like Fal said.

Speaking of Smash 4 Layton and alts. Shall I try to make my 3D Flora look more accurate to the Smash 4 art style and perhaps make few alt colours too, just for fun? After having seen Toon Link's Wii U model and the way its designed, I think I can do it.... :upsidedown:

Last edited:
Top Bottom