• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well guys, feel free to vote for Professor Layton here. https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/en-uk/ (Might need to go to the US version if you live in the US)

The ballot states that you can vote for your favourite Videogame Character, not just Nintendo character. So Professor Layton counts and considering Level-5 Apparently is going to announce a new installment to the Layton franchise very soon (Or at least bring the series back in our radar again) this couldn't come at any better time. May our favourite English Gentleman make it! ^^

(Also apologies for the Double Post)

Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Yep yep, I voted for him within the first 20 minutes after the ballot was announced. Hopefully we get it this time, guys!

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Hi all, I signed up onto the boards today with the sole purpose of posting on this thread! I've been following Layton rumours in Smash for years, but in this moment I can't help but feel we're closer than ever to having our true gentleman in Smash. I mean, in lieu of Layton, I hav been using Male Wii Fit (who seems gentlemanly until he taunts players after winning saying they need to work on their co-ordination!)

I'm going to throw a few pieces of the puzzle together here, and basically recant what I said on the ballot:

-Layton's game series is extremely popular on 3DS and DS. It's definitely one of the flagship exclusives, despite being third party.

-Layton is Nintendo-exclusive. There may be allusions to him in Layton 7 or the Layton Brothers Mystery Room iOS games, but he does not appear in these games. It's a tip of the hat to Layton (no pun intended), but a lot of people use this as a reason he wouldn't be included.

-The creators of our favourite gentleman have been quoted as saying they would be happy to have the professor included in the game and would work with the Smash team if he were. The ball's in your court, Sakurai.

-Layton's vast array of potential movesets, from his inventions like the Glider and the Slot Machine Gun, to his fencing skills, to little things like springing a hint coin from the ground, make him a very possible character. Over seven games, he has built up quite an offensive arsenal-- more so than many characters already on the game.

-Despite Layton becoming self-published by Level-5 after Curious Village (what can I say, they saw they were on to a winner, I don't blame them for trying to get a little more profit), Level-5 and Nintendo are evidently still on very good terms. Note Inazuma Eleven's anime being featured in the Nintendo Anime Channel. Level-5 have several Nintendo-exclusive series, and it genuinely came as a surprise that there were no Level-5 trophies in Smash when the likes of Rayman got a few offerings (I know this was requested by Ubisoft, but still... Ubisoft have been very vocal about WiiU's trouble in being a serious console). But I digress.

-Fans have been baying for Layton since before Brawl. Along with Little Mac, Megaman, and Geno (the last one isn't ever happening, let's get real), Layton was requested a lot. 2/4 of these became real. Layton has topped numerous "smash predict" fan polls and lists, and it's the general consensus that he would fit in to this sort of game.

-The holy poll. The ballot box. I've been keeping an eye on Twitter and the support for Layton in Smash has been pretty solid. If the arguments are formulated well, we may very well have a strong candidate for inclusion. I implore fans to keep spreading the word of Layton within all forms of media!

(Also, it might help to say you're a female on the poll-- it's their target expanding demographic. That, and a true gentleman never turns down the request of a lady...)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welcome to Smashboards @ Martingale Martingale it's always great to see more Professor Layton supporters joining in. I'll add you onto the supporters list as well. :)

Speaking of Layton support. Tumblr is going crazy with Layton support for the ballot, they even apparently started a campaign for Layton to join the battle. It warms my heart to see such a dedicated fanbase. :)

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Welcome to Smashboards @ Martingale Martingale it's always great to see more Professor Layton supporters joining in. I'll add you onto the supporters list as well. :)

Speaking of Layton support. Tumblr is going crazy with Layton support for the ballot, they even apparently started a campaign for Layton to join the battle. It warms my heart to see such a dedicated fanbase. :)
That's great! :) Glad to see other people want him as much as we all do! I really think Layton is more deserving than a lot of characters, and I really hope he gets his shot right now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's great! :) Glad to see other people want him as much as we all do! I really think Layton is more deserving than a lot of characters, and I really hope he gets his shot right now.
Me too, it's great to see that the support for him is strong. Hopefully it's big enough to be acknowledged by the developers.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Have you guys seen any signs of strong Layton support in certain websites lately?
Tumblr is having some very strong support, you can't browse the Professor Layton tag without seeing a bunch of people submitting their requests to the ballot and encouraging others to do the same, they even started campaigning for Layton in Smash. And apparently Twitter as well. That's as far as I'm aware at least.

Last edited:

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Well I've voted for Layton. I've wanted him in Smash ever since I got into the series in around 2009/10 time, and I wouldn't have any other character over him, if it all came down to me (I wish). I agree with the posts above, he suits the game to a t, (Layton pun) and despite being non-Nintendo is about as close as you can get, considering all 7 of his games are only on DS/3DS. He's very popular and so I think he has a chance, if Nintendo do decide to put one final 3rd party character in, I think it's between him, Bayonetta, Snake, Rayman and maaaaaaybe Banjo. Fingers crossed he wins.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm kinda disappointed that Layton is not doing as well in the polls as I thought he would. maybe the places the unofficial polls are surveying just aren't the biggest layton fans? Well either way i voted for the man in the top hat, and i gave a good explanation too.

Also I wish Artsy Omni would do a render of Layton, because if Rayman or shovel knight have become so popular in the polls, it would do wonders for anybody.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm kinda disappointed that Layton is not doing as well in the polls as I thought he would. maybe the places the unofficial polls are surveying just aren't the biggest layton fans? Well either way i voted for the man in the top hat, and i gave a good explanation too.

Also I wish Artsy Omni would do a render of Layton, because if Rayman or shovel knight have become so popular in the polls, it would do wonders for anybody.
From what I've noticed they are mainly surveying major gaming sites which true you don't really see all that many Layton fans hanging around with, and it's also not a very reliable sample to look through as you mainly get the opinion of "hardcore" gamers. I think they should also poll social websites such as Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter etc and see how they fare there. Perhaps also fansites of specific series may help as well as fans of specific series may mainly vote for their favourite series. I'm not sure but I do know it's not just mainly the big Smash Bros fans who are voting on this ballot.

We don't really know what the results really look like though, we may see from these unofficial polls that this or that character is the most popular, but the reality may be that someone else is doing far better than them. I'm afraid we'll just have to wait and see. The best we can do is to just keep supporting our favourite characters the best we can and hope they get considered by the dev's.

That's just my opinion on that I guess.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
When considering the polls, one must be wary that we are, for the most part, Western-- the Japanese game market is very different. In a poll there, believe me, Layton would trump the likes of Shovel Knight (meanwhile, in a subreddit poll, Layton nabbed 2.7% while Shovel Knight pushed 15%). We're only getting small snapshots of characters where cult followings exist. Realistically, would a 15% Shovel Knight rating carry over to the true poll? No. Haven't heard his name on social media with respect to this. But I'm hearing Layton left, right, and centre.

As an aside, in a poll run on gamefaq (~4000 responses), the true gentleman tops third party easily. I saw a summary sheet which placed him first but haven't found a percentage chart (shame, I eat up data). One really can't rule out certain characters that easily.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
None that I'm aware of....

I have the feeling they will probably be taking the Japanese poll's more seriously because they don't have as much of a need for translations and whatnot, but they will count the votes for other languages in order to see how popular certain characters are.

I'm not sure how well Layton is currently faring unless we could somehow see how every character is doing through the official ballot....

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Even though it i a ballot, It's not democratic. So just by mentioning him, Layton has a chance.

*Fingers Crossed*

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Mhmm.... By the way Level-5 has just shown more of Layton 7 today. I haven't seen it as I had to go somewhere today but I guess I'll check it out once a news article of it comes out.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...Shouldn't it be "Professor Layton for Prime Minister?"

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Layton 7 is.... disapointing.

I feel like I need to change my avatar to protest or something. :laugh:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton 7 is.... disapointing.

I feel like I need to change my avatar to protest or something. :laugh:
Yeah, apparently they are advertising it as a mainline game too. Something tells me they should have just done like what the makers of the Earthbound series have done and just let the series rest in peace.

I mean yeah at least Earthbound has the Smash Bros series to keep it afloat whereas the Layton series would have fallen into obscurity. But I'm not sure if slapping the Layton name into every project they are working on would do the series much good.

And this is coming from someone who really wanted to see a sequel trilogy....

Guess we'll have to wait and see a trailer in order to get some more info about the game.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Oh dear. Layton appears in that Layton 7 screenshot. As a card, at least. Well, it's probably going to be a subtle nod in the direction of Layton and probably not something to be considered canon. If Level-5 don't say "Professor" in front of it, it isn't a true Layton game.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
While I've only had minor exposure to Layton, I've begun watching a play through of the first game.

And the thought of Layton possibly having a Phoenix Wright-esque moveset(which those movesets on the OP certainly agree on) intrigues me, given that Wright was a character I'd use for fun in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 at times. Of course, the mechanics wouldn't be identical given how both games share radically different fighting engines, but it's enough for me to say: throw me on that support list.

If I get a chance on another computer, I'll toss a vote Layton's way on the Ballot.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While I've only had minor exposure to Layton, I've begun watching a play through of the first game.

And the thought of Layton possibly having a Phoenix Wright-esque moveset(which those movesets on the OP certainly agree on) intrigues me, given that Wright was a character I'd use for fun in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 at times. Of course, the mechanics wouldn't be identical given how both games share radically different fighting engines, but it's enough for me to say: throw me on that support list.

If I get a chance on another computer, I'll toss a vote Layton's way on the Ballot.
Welcome to the Layton supporters and thanks, I'll add you as soon as I have access to the Laptop. ^^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Welcome to the gentleman's support thread. :)

If I were you, I'd get the first game to play after watching part of that playthrough... The Curious Village is such a gem, it needs to be played to experence it all. Plus, it's cheap as it is a little old.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Okay I've just added the latest three supporters to the support thread @ TheLastLugia TheLastLugia @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A and @ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy thank you for joining the Layton supporters!

We have now over 75 supporters in this thread. ^^

Love the new name, Kiwi. :love:

It's cool to see big-time Smash players supporting the Professor.
Thank you. ^^

And it is indeed nice to see some well known Smash Players also supporting Layton's inclusion. Loved how he made him a surprise reveal at the end of that video. ^^

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Oh yeah, already made the vote. Had to "borrow" some internet to do it, but it's done~

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
Just happened upon this thread trying to gauge opinion for Layton's inclusion. Pretty much everything everyone else said sums up what I found out (Tumblr loves him, Twitter has a decent amount of support, a Facebook poll on a large group ranks him with three votes - which puts him in the top 20 - and odd bits of support elsewhere). Anyway, you can put me on that supporter's list! I made the account especially, as is probably evident.

Since I've been wanting him since announcement of the game, I've had a rather long time to work on stuff like moveset, taunts, trailer, and alts. I've also got the entire day to write it up because I'm horrendously ill. Huzzah! It's actually a little similar in some places to what I'm seeing on the first post, but I'll put it in anyway because there are differences. I haven't got anything technical like frame data because I'm pretty new to the competitive scene, but hopefully you'll get the general gist.

That codec idea, by the way, is utterly amazing. Everyone who contributed to that, you have my unyielding respect.

Apologies in advance if the hide tags haven't worked.
EDIT: yeah, can someone tell me how to do the Spoiler thingies please? Thanks Curious Villager

Trailer idea:
-Flaming Smash logo
-We see a birds eye view of St Mystere
-Camera changes; we see Marth and Ganondorf duelling (this is a deliberate nod to Robin's trailer, this idea's recent)
-Ganon elbows Marth and sends him flying into a wall. Begins a Warlock Punch
-We hear Layton's voice: "I'm afraid I have to intervene" - Ganon is caught by surprise and stops the Punch
-Camera zooms to Layton, who is now offering a bemused Marth some tea. Professor Layton's Theme starts playing. "I can't let you get away with such abhorent disregard"
-He points at Ganon in his typically epic way, one hand on his hat. The splashart appears (dark orange) - his tagline reads "Layton enters the equation!"
-Splashart disappears; the background fades to black. Ganon's various specials run through Layton's mind (if you've seen Eternal Diva, think of the way he solves puzzles in that). He stays a bit longer on Wizard's Foot. At the end, he grins.
-Background returns. Ganon uses Wizard's Foot; Layton rolls behind it and opens fire with the coin gun, which blasts Ganon down a back alley.
-Bowser, Wario (on his bike) and Charizard jump at Layton from behind. Layton simply says, "I expected no less". He turns around, and leaps to meet them with fencing sword in hand.
-Scene fades to white. Prof Layton's Theme hits the fast bit as we see ingame footage (goes to the ominous bit near the end for his Final Smash)
-At the end, we see Layton sipping some tea, coat flapping in the wind.

Miscellaneous bits (some minor spoilers)
Character icon: The classic Layton seal
Stage entry: flies in the modded Laytonmobile from Lost Future. Presumably Don Paolo flies it back out again, but that doesn't matter.
Alternate costumes: I did actually knock some up, but I think I saved them to the flash stick I've lost so hopefully the descriptions will be enough. Basic concepts here covered by other people, I just differ slightly on the details.
1. Default: dark brown jacket/hat/trousers, orange shirt, green shoes, red hat band

2. Blue jacket/hat with white shirt, muddy-green trousers, brown shoes and brown hat band (based on Luke; hat band represents his satchel)

3. Red-orange jacket, light brown hat, white (or light orange, one of the two) shirt, brown trousers/shoes and red hat band (based on Flora; hat band represents her ribbon and is lighter than the default red)

4. Yellow Jacket, dark brown hat, white shirt (can you see a pattern here?), white trousers, brown shoes and pink hat band (based on Emmy; hat band represents bow tie)

5. Purple coat/hat, dark red shirt/trousers, black shoes, dark green hat band (based on Don Paolo; hat band represents tie)

6. Dark cream jacket/hat/trousers, white shirt (yup), black shoes, dark blue hat band (based on Chelmey; hat band represents tie) (this one doesn't look as stupid as it sounds, promise)

7. His white ball suit

8. Future Layton from Lost Future
Victory jingle: the start of Layton's Theme, sped up and ending on a major note rather than the G
OR
The "bing" and following "bu bu bu bu bum" (sorry) that you get when correctly solving a puzzle
Idle animation: solves a puzzle on a piece of paper
Victory animations:
Grins and points
Sips some tea
Pats the Laytonmobile whilst grinning
Losing animation: draws hat down over his eyes, "incorrect" style

THE MOVESET
What I was trying to convey:
His tilts and throws are supposed to be representative of him slowly piecing together a case and interacting with the scenery
His Smashes represent that epic bit where he ruins his adversaries by exposing them
His aerials represent the dramatic showdowns
That's the idea anyway.

Standard attacks:
Jab: bounces hint coins a short way in front of him. A continous jab.
Jab finisher: points dramatically, as if he's got the solution after throwing hint coins at the puzzle!
UTilt: three white lines pop from his head, as if speaking to an NPC. The middle one is slightly stronger than the outer ones.
FTilt: a red "!" jumps out of his coat spinning and lands the right way up just in front of him. I imagined this to have high knockback scaling, represenatative of the puzzle's increasing difficulty, but will also be a slightly laggy attack (because they take so damn long to solve)
DTilt: Points at the floor (this initial action has a hitbox); a hint coin jumps up. Not a particularly strong attack with small hitboxes, but has quick startup and little end lag
Rising attack: flips onto his feet
Ledge attack: kicks straight outwards
Dash attack: slips on a banana peel and careers forward (thanks @ FraserLazer FraserLazer )
Specials:
Neutral: slot machine gun. Chargeable.
-Custom 1: a quick-burst shot that has a wider spread of coins but can't be charged (I'm thinking for edgeguarding purposes)
-Custom 2: Fires straight up, Bullet Seed style. Chargeable

Side: Toy train. Functions a little like Ness' PK Fire, with the three to four carriages giving multiple hits and moves diagonally when used in the air.
-Custom 1: Robot dog. Sacrifice range for sheer power with a large bite. It would work a bit like DHD's down special, biting the nearest foe but breaks if hit powerfully
-Custom 2: Parrot. (I'm trying to reference trunk minigames from the entire first trilogy so bear with me). Charging this custom can put up to 2 trampolines out in front of Layton for height and distance, but the parrot can hop out and drop parcels on the field without them. These parcels can meteor smash should they connect and fall reasonably fast.

Up: Glider from Curious village. Blasts Layton up quite high on a rather convenient thermal, but he drops at a steep angle.
-Custom 1: Helicopter from Eternal Diva. Less height but greater mobility.
-Custom 2: Exploding glider which releases damaging debris as it rises but leaves Layton helpless

Down:
Down: Catapult. Layton pulls back and fires a rock with physics comparable to Bowser Jr's cannonball (more vertical motion than that example, but not a huge amount). Charge can't be stored, amount of charge affects distance and power. Maximum distance is just about 3/4 of Final Destination.
-Custom 1: the charge time is drastically reduced, the tradeoff being distance and power.
-Custom 2: long-range shot. The catapult fires the rock over a far greater distance, both vertical and horizontal. Fully charged, it could fire further than the entire length of Final Destination.
This down special in particular is welcome to close scrutiny, as I have literally only just come up with it following successive posts in the thread.

Previous Down Special: Elysian Box, a hard-to-time counter that causes the opponent to flinch for an extended length of time (like ZSS' paralyser gun), which was a) the best way to convey hallucinations and b) the only workable item I could think of. High startup lag.
-Custom 1: The box produces a flash that damages opponents
-Custom 2: basically, Mewtwo's Confusion move

Grab actions:
Layton grabs with two hands and has an average grab range
Pummel: yellow lines burst from the opponent, as if Layton is searching for Hint Coins
FThrow: Sliding blocks barrage the opponent
DThrow: an orange line (remember that "separate the pigs" puzzle?) trips the opponent
BThrow: more sliding blocks
UThrow: multiple choice. Layton points at option A, which blasts the opponent to option C. He points at C, which blasts them to B. He points at B, which launches them. Good for racking damage and launching but difficult to start a combo with. The three options are arranged in a triangle.

Aerials:
NAir: swings his trunk with two hands
Fair: cuts with a fencing sword twice
UAir: tilts his hat
BAir: does a round kick, similar to Jigglypuff Wall of Pain staple (can't remember which move that is off the top of my head)
Dair: throws a book. Think Mega Man's Dair. Originally this was a stomp but that's painfully boring and, what can I say, Mega Man inspired me

Smashes:
Side: lunges with a fencing sword. Sweetspot at tip
Up: two orange lines intersect, with a sweetspot where they cross
Down: pulls out an archaeologist's spade and swings it in a small circle. Sweetspot, again, at tip.

Final Smash:
I have a few options here.
The one I'm leaning to is what I'm calling "solve the puzzle". The screen darkens, the action freezes and Layton does his four frames he does when presenting a solution. He'll probably say something too. If an opponent is within range, he grins and points. If not, he grimaces and draws his hat down. If he points, the word "CORRECT" appears behind him and launches the foes that were in range. If not, "INCORRECT" crashes down past the background, completely missing the stage. (there may be issues with various languages, but this concept can be adapted somewhat to be something like a big "100/100" [picarats], going down to 0 if incorrect)

Option 2 sees Layton leave the stage and go into something reminiscent of Investigation Mode in the games. The player moves a magnifying glass; pressing a button causes it to click. Where it clicks, a big red "!" appears, which damages any foes that touch it. This was inspired by Snake's FS, but ZSS seems to have inherited it.

Option 3 sees the big ferris wheel rolls across the stage, which I'm not liking due to similarities with WFT and Mario, but it's an option.
Taunts:
Up: adjusts his hat slightly with one hand, raises the other one with one finger extended and says "Critical thinking is the key to success"
Side: waves his arms as if talking to an NPC, says something about planning well in advance or something like that
Down: takes a sip of tea and smiles

That's my character design in a nutshell, and by all means tell me that certain moves would suck competitively or suggest some other alternatives/improvements.

I want Layton in as much as everyone else here. He got my vote and I persuaded some of my friends who were undecided to vote him too. I've been a fan since Curious Village was released - I was truly hooked from scene 1 and pretty much lived for that narrative, those puzzles and those characters. Since Level-5 ruled out a new trilogy (I hope they change their minds) and another crossover title isn't on the horizon, Smash could be that one last hurrah for the Professor before his 10th anniversary (they'd better acknowledge him in some form). He's got loads to work with, is popular across a broad age spectrum and with both genders and, let's be frank, deserves the slot for his service to Nintendo. Leaving him out is not only criminal, but a huge slap in the face for the series that gave so much to the DS and 3DS.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Sorry it is a bit late but I would like to have my name down for the support of professor layton in smash. Also I thought he would have a more puzzle based move set like above than those saying he could use a sword.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be insane to try quote your post, @ Laytonite Laytonite . But instead, I'm just going to say that I am extremely impressed with your dedication to the Layton cause! Welcome aboard the hype train, destination Smash! Next stop, Folsense!

While I agree @ FraserLazer FraserLazer that a sword-based set feels a little limiting when they could do so much, I do hope if they choose to go along the sword route, they focus on fencing with a rapier rather than straight swordplay. A very different style. Of course, all of his inventions and little fun features like the red ! can feature in other attacks!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@ Laytonite Laytonite @ FraserLazer FraserLazer

Welcome on board the both of you. It's great to see more ideas brought up and no, it's never to late to join the Professor Layton supporters.

Also, Laytonite, if you want to use the Spoiler Tag just simply write [ spoiler ] *Insert what you want to write here* [ /spoiler ] minus the space and it should go through. Thanks for your input too and welcome to Smashboards by the way. ^^

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I would have layton's move set be more unique his neutral b could be the the magnifying glass used to find hint coins and if you hit the other players with it your other b moves come out quicker as they would have a delay as he builds them being the glider the coin gun and the catapult , also his dash attack could be slipping on a banana from the banana maze puzzle

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I would have layton's move set be more unique his neutral b could be the the magnifying glass used to find hint coins and if you hit the other players with it your other b moves come out quicker as they would have a delay as he builds them being the glider the coin gun and the catapult , also his dash attack could be slipping on a banana from the banana maze puzzle
His moveset being more focused on the puzzles would certainly be the more unique option and certainly something I can see Sakurai doing if the likes of Megaman and Villager are anything to go by.

Last edited:
Top Bottom