• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
TROLOLOL.
Funny stuff... yeah, as little a chance (well.. not incredibly small....) that Layton has, I'd love to see him.
Two opposite sides of the same coin. They should totally turn that into an event in smash 4. :troll: (assuming Layton becomes playable of course)

Uhuh. :)

Oh gosh, I am really running out of things to say here since this topic keeps on dying. Guess I'd better put some more stuff to the OP as well as find some more things to talk about here. (But yay we finally reached the third page...)

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Hey, how come everyone counts Layton as third party? The "party" is dictated by the publisher, isn't it? And Level 5 only publishes Layton in Japan, everywhere else he's published by Nintendo.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hey, how come everyone counts Layton as third party? The "party" is dictated by the publisher, isn't it? And Level 5 only publishes Layton in Japan, everywhere else he's published by Nintendo.
The rights belongs to the company that DEVELOPS the game, not the one who publishes it.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
but is it not an exceptional case if the publisher is a large publisher, one who develops consoles such as Nintendo, where the developed game will be exclusive to that console? eg. Game Freak isn't first party, they're private, they've developed games for Playstation, pc and mega drive. But Pokemon is published by Nintendo, and is exclusive to Nintendo consoles, so it counts as second party developed and therefore is first party for Nintendo.

Level 5 development is almost entirely for Nintendo or Sony, but definitely more so for Nintendo. And Nintendo handled all their overseas publishing , so they have a close relationship. Plus, Layton is DS exclusive, considered one of their biggest titles. Maybe they could let Layton in as a second party under that?

Obvsies it'd be fine if he was third party, but then they sure as **** better put him in with Megaman and/or Pacman.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As much as I would love to share your optimism Maffewt, Layton is a third party character. Level-5 is a third party developer making games for other consoles too. Though the main games have indeed stuck around with Nintendo's handheld consoles (and currently I can't imagine that to change anytime soon) The spin offs (bar London Life) have been appearing on other devices such as the IOS and Mobile/Cell phones. Wether you count those as different "consoles" or whatever is up to you I suppose. I personally don't count them since Pokemon has got I think two games released on the IOS too, Pokedex 3D Pro is one of them and another one that just slipped my mind.

Sometimes I do really wish that the Professor Layton series was a first or second party franchise, then I wouldn't be as down about his chances for smash. But seeing as how things are the way they are. Layton is in big competition. Especially since the amount of requests he receives is nowhere near the amount Megaman or a potential Namco character is. Not to mention the fact that Sakurai doesn't want to add third parties willy nilly.

The only thing that's on Layton's side is creator's interest. But I'm not sure how far that gets him... :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah his chances are basically dependant on Akihiro Hino and if he's still interested in having Layton in smash. If he isn't or has forgotten then that's basically it for him. I'm not putting my hopes too high for Layton even though he's my most wanted character for smash 4 since a character like him is probably just asking for disappointment. Sad stuff. :/

Anyway, thanks Maffewt for briefly reviving this thread with a brief discussion. This thread could use some more discussions before it gets buried again. I guess I should think up a few things to talk about here... :/

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Dang nabbit :( That's disappointing to hear. Although I guess it explains why he hasn't done as well in polls as I was expecting. I'd considered him Nintendo's biggest thing since Brawl. All of a sudden Megaman and Pacman don't even come close to being my biggest want for third party :laugh:

Though I think what you said about the Pokemon and Layton phone spin-offs bodes well for my Gamefreak point. And manys a character has lucked out on the whims of Sakurai :p

I just want to belieeeeeeeve T_T

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
And no problem on the thread revival! Your moveset is fantastic, buddy!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Dang nabbit :( That's disappointing to hear. Although I guess it explains why he hasn't done as well in polls as I was expecting. I'd considered him Nintendo's biggest thing since Brawl. All of a sudden Megaman and Pacman don't even come close to being my biggest want for third party :laugh:

Though I think what you said about the Pokemon and Layton phone spin-offs bodes well for my Gamefreak point. And manys a character has lucked out on the whims of Sakurai :p

I just want to belieeeeeeeve T_T
Yeah the Layton series is still a pretty young franchise despite how far it has come since its first debut in Curious Village back in 2007/2008. I've also noticed that not that many people here are that familiar with the Layton series, so I guess that may explain a little why this thread keeps getting buried under the other pages. Not to mention there are still many popular Nintendo characters out there that haven't been made playable in smash yet and people are just more interested in third parties like Megaman and whoever the next Namco rep is rather than hope for a young franchise such as Professor Layton making it in, which is totally understandable I guess. People wanted Megaman since the Brawl days and Namco characters are mostly popular because Namco Bandai is helping Sakurai out in this next smash installment. Not to mention you have other third parties such as Square Enix who some people also want to see characters in. And then there is Sonic and Snake who many fans want to see return for smash 4.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, there are other characters that the fans see as having much higher priority over Layton, his best hope is if his creator actually approaches Sakurai and asks him for Layton to be in smash. Sad stuff but yeah... :/

Though it is true that Gamefreak has made some games for other non-Nintendo consoles too in the past (not to mention the IOS where they released two Pokemon spin off's on them), Gamefreak is still a primarily Nintendo's second party developer unlike Level-5 even if both companies only released spin off's of Pokemon and Layton to other devices and none of the main games.

But yeah, we should just hope for the best really. ^_^

And no problem on the thread revival! Your moveset is fantastic, buddy!
Thank you, I'm glad you like it. ^_^

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I would actually root for him to be in the game, but I just feel that there is so many third party choices, and so many great ones for that matter. In other words, I'd put him in about, hmm, 6-10th on the third party characters I'd like to see. Hard to beat Megaman, Pac, and though many may not agree, Maxwell.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Layton has such a cool, gentlemanly demeanor about him. His inclusion would be like adding the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes to Sm4sh.

I would actually root for him to be in the game, but I just feel that there is so many third party choices, and so many great ones for that matter. In other words, I'd put him in about, hmm, 6-10th on the third party characters I'd like to see. Hard to beat Megaman, Pac, and though many may not agree, Maxwell.
Who is Maxwell?

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
totally forgot about those silly games. I really liked the infinite amount of possibilities. What genre does that game fall under?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
totally forgot about those silly games. I really liked the infinite amount of possibilities. What genre does that game fall under?
I think it falls under the puzzle adventure genre, just like the Professor Layton games. I'm not sure, you should ask someone who is more knowledgeable with the series than I am. I mean, I've played Super Scribblenauts before and it felt a bit like a puzzle solving adventure to me what with you having to figure out what to create in order to solve the puzzles correctly and all and get these Starite things (I believe that's what they were called?), but still...

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
ok

And when you get the chance put me down as a supporter. Professor Hershel Layton is too badass to pass up.

a_Professor_and_his_Assistant_by_la.jpg

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Argh... Chances so.... low..... but the fans love him, including me.

Anyone pumped for The Azran Legacies?

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Also, what does being put down a as supporter do? Either way, count me in Kikwi-kiwi

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Argh... Chances so.... low..... but the fans love him, including me.

Anyone pumped for The Azran Legacies?
Well at least he has creators interest. Though fan demand can bring him a whole step closer as well as filling Akihiro Hino with motivation to actually approaching Sakurai and asking him for Layton in smash. Hopefully he already did. ^^

I am looking forward to it, yes. It's coming out this year to Europe. ^_^

Also, what does being put down a as supporter do? Either way, count me in Kikwi-kiwi
Well nothing much, except that it shows to other people how many are interested in the character to appear in smash and commented and/or liked the OP in this thread to show their support. It is of course not an accurate representation of how many people want Layton in smash in general since there are definitely many more out there, this thread only counts those who commented and/or liked the OP here like I just said. Though I suppose the supporters list could show those who never played a game starring Layton before to try the series out and see why people want him playable in smash and if they like him enough in his games, they might become a fan too and then you could end up with more supporters. That's one way it could work I guess.

Oh and I already added you before, Maffewt. ^_^

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Well nothing much, except that it shows to other people how many are interested in the character to appear in smash and commented and/or liked the OP in this thread to show their support. It is of course not an accurate representation of how many people want Layton in smash in general since there are definitely many more out there, this thread only counts those who commented and/or liked the OP here like I just said. Though I suppose the supporters list could show those who never played a game starring Layton before to try the series out and see why people want him playable in smash and if they like him enough in his games, they might become a fan too and then you could end up with more supporters. That's one way it could work I guess.

Oh and I already added you before, Maffewt. ^_^
haha, cheers! :D

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I wouldn't say THAT low. a lot better chance then some other "third party" character I would want. like Klonoa.
Yeah, Klonoa has a very small chance... But your right, Megaman, The Professor.... I hope Sakurai puts in a few more third party, even if he said he does not want a ton in.

@Kwiki-Kiwi

Yeah, the final Layton game... hey, maybe THAT will push Level-5 to put him in....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@Kwiki-Kiwi

Yeah, the final Layton game... hey, maybe THAT will push Level-5 to put him in....
Well Layton has become a lot more combat happy in recent games. I know I am looking too much into this but, what if Level-5 made Layton more combat happy in order to show Sakurai and the world that Layton is more than capable to be a playable fighter in smash? After all, Layton was laughed at when he was suggested to Sakurai to become a playable character at that one talk show... ah, dreams... TTwTT

The sad fact is though that if Azran Legacies truly is the last Layton game. Than Smash 4 is probably Layton's first and last chance to become a playable character in smash... :c

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Klonoa has a very small chance... But your right, Megaman, The Professor.... I hope Sakurai puts in a few more third party, even if he said he does not want a ton in.
I thought 4 would be a nice number. Two in Brawl, two in this one, the perfect amount to have them all in the one match... But like. People are anticipating Megaman and Pacman so much, Prof'd be such a great wildcard. Announce Megaman and Pacman early for hype, then have Layton like a big Dojo announcement later on maybe? Like, I remember when Polimar was announced... there'd been barely two months since a character announcement, they'd already announced a roster's worth, he wasn't the most obvious choice... but it fit so perfectly and was such a surprise at the same time

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I thought 4 would be a nice number. Two in Brawl, two in this one, the perfect amount to have them all in the one match... But like. People are anticipating Megaman and Pacman so much, Prof'd be such a great wildcard. Announce Megaman and Pacman early for hype, then have Layton like a big Dojo announcement later on maybe? Like, I remember when Polimar was announced... there'd been barely two months since a character announcement, they'd already announced a roster's worth, he wasn't the most obvious choice... but it fit so perfectly and was such a surprise at the same time
I agree. A few surprises can sometimes be as fun as the game itself.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd imagine any third parties would be shown off as soon as the first trailer shows up since the companies would probably want their character being shown to the world as soon as possible and create hype for their fans knowing their characters will be playable. The only reason Sonic showed up so late was because he was a late addition, causing one of the delay's and all.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd imagine any third parties would be shown off as soon as the first trailer shows up since the companies would probably want their character being shown to the world as soon as possible and create hype for their fans knowing their characters will be playable. The only reason Sonic showed up so late was because he was a late addition, causing one of the delay's and all.
Yep, so the Professor, and anyone else will have to be in the E3 Trailer..... *Crosses Fingers*

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, on a more positive note, when did you first pick up PL&CV?
I can't remember exactly when I got Curious Village for the first time but I do remember getting it sometime before Unwound/Lost Future was getting released and sometime after I got my first DS console, the DSI. It was my sister who got me into the Layton series, she brought Curious Village for us since the title characters in the game interested us. Though she didn't end up liking the game, I got hooked and from then on became a huge fan of the series. So yeah, Curious Village was my first Layton game, afterwards I got Unwound/Lost Future and then the Elysian Box and now I'm following the prequels. What about you?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I can't remember exactly when I got Curious Village for the first time but I do remember getting it sometime before Unwound/Lost Future was getting released and sometime after I got my first DS console, the DSI. It was my sister who got me into the Layton series, she brought Curious Village for us since the title characters in the game interested us. Though she didn't end up liking the game, I got hooked and from then on became a huge fan of the series. So yeah, Curious Village was my first Layton game, afterwards I got Unwound/Lost Future and then the Elysian Box and now I'm following the prequels. What about you?
I bought the Curious village when it was in a bargain bin at my local electronics store. I liked puzzles, and Layton and Luke looked cool on the cover, so I got it. 3 hours latter, I was hooked. In a few months, The Diabolical Box came out, and I was an instant fan of that one. I've bought all of the games as they have been released. Along the way, I've been spreading the games among my friends, trying to share the genius that is Professor Layton.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We Can't let this thread die.... Who's your favorite villain from the Layton series?

For me, It's between Descole and Clive. One for the way he carries himself, and the other for his backstory/ending.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, sorry, I've been meaning to reply to you but I've been stuck in with Fire Emblem Awakening for the past few day's. Anyway's. Seems like you've been a fan of Layton longer than I've been then. :p

And about the Layton villains, umm... I don't really have a top favourite but I've got a soft spot for Don Paolo and Anton (if you can call him a villain...) And Bronev seems interesting.

Top Bottom