• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
The Ace Attorney Investigations games varied up the traditional AA formula with full map explorations and moving around the environment was rather fun. I think if Layton did something like that I'd like to see something closer to the Monkey Island games combined with the traditional puzzles of a Layton game. A combo of map-based inventory puzzles, minigames, and the usual would make for a fun twist in my eyes.

One of my favorite little obscure gems was Another Code: Two Memories on the DS. It and Hotel Dusk had really lovely adventure game elements that could nicely fit into a new Layton in my eyes.
Nobody talks about Cing enough. They made artful games and the Kyle Hyde games in particular deserve so much more.

Monkey Island is definitely the way - maybe it could also take a leaf or two from Zack & Wiki's book if anyone else played that game? Tragically underplayed game destined for nothing but obscurity, but it's super smart and I could see a console Layton using similar ideas.
I'm sure you can set your mind racing on the possibilities!

Yeah perhaps Pokemon wasn't really the best example to give considering its current state.... But yeah...
I do hope that Level-5 will put in the effort to reinvent the wheel for the series. Perhaps they are going to try something new entirely as the old gameplay format won't really work too well on the Switch. The series was predominantly touch screen based, and while the Switch does have a touch screen, they will have to also make it work in docked mode, which might cause some complications for the game, and Level-5 themselves acknowledged that.

So perhaps yes, they might opt to overhaul the gameplay style this time around. Maybe not too drastic as to not alienate older fans, but perhaps something a bit more different this time. Like you said, perhaps this time we can actually move around the map freely and explore every nook and cranny. Check suspicious area's with a magnifying glass in first person mode. Maybe solve puzzles in a whole new way by directly interacting with them perhaps something like Zelda.

I guess it remains to be seen how they will handle things this time around.
I think a hybrid of more traditional Layton puzzles as well as these sort of overworld interaction-based puzzles would blend really nicely in a new Layton.

I'd also like to see more in the vein of "Objectionable Puzzle" from Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, where the puzzle actually has multiple phases to it. I'd like it to be a little bit more interesting than just pressing a button to shout "Hold it!" to move to the next phase, though!

I always thought the RPG mode by Brownie Brown in The Last Specter was cool.

Also, Level-5 burns out series way too fast.

Seriously, it's a wonder that they brought back Inazuma Eleven in the first place.
Ah yes London Life, which ironically those of us in and around London never got to play. Always been fascinated by it. Is there enough there to sustain a full Layton style game?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ah yes London Life, which ironically those of us in and around London never got to play. Always been fascinated by it. Is there enough there to sustain a full Layton style game?
If I'm remembering the game right there is not.

It felt more like an Animal Crossing esque game than an RPG

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My pick for something that could influence Layton with adventure elements is The Silver Case. While it was light on actual puzzles (given that Grasshopper had budget restrictions at the time), the way you had to search every nook and cranny for clues in a 3-D environment is something that I think could work in a Layton game, so long as the controls are intuitive enough.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Also, Level-5 burns out series way too fast.

Seriously, it's a wonder that they brought back Inazuma Eleven in the first place.
im guessing for a bet

I'm still upset that NoE never localized London Life to PAL regions. Here's hoping they finally rectify that if they do a Last Specter HD......
id get it just to try london life at last

Nobody talks about Cing enough. They made artful games and the Kyle Hyde games in particular deserve so much more.
i thought i was the only one who remembered

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
PK Bash PK Bash oh the idea of puzzles with multiple phases sounds quite interesting. I think Last Specter did that too for the final puzzle in that game. Although it was a bit ridiculous.....

As for London Life, yeah its a bit more like Animal Crossing to where you need to do various tasks every day and progress the story along too. Its something very simple. But I believe the game was essentially meant to be a Layton themed demo for Fantasy Life.

I don't know how well it would play on mobile since it kind of required proper controls but I guess we'll see when the time comes..

Also, lots of interesting idea's for what they could hypothetically do for Layton Switch. Here's hoping we get to see it revealed soon.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Finally Hotel Dusk comes up in a conversation without me having to mention it! I've waited so long for this day...

And London Life was like super cool. Maybe it got a bit repetitive (or I could have been playing it wrong) but I still sank a lot of time into it. And Fantasy Life as well. Would like a return of either.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Finally Hotel Dusk comes up in a conversation without me having to mention it! I've waited so long for this day...

And London Life was like super cool. Maybe it got a bit repetitive (or I could have been playing it wrong) but I still sank a lot of time into it. And Fantasy Life as well. Would like a return of either.
Man, you're talking to a dude who imported Last Window and hacked his Wii U to play Another Code R. If you want Cing talk, I'm your boy.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'm particularly fond of the Mother 3 styled sprites for the Layton cast. I always had some Earthbound like vibes with the Layton series before (Probably because of the little sprite characters they have around in the main games) so I was kinda happy to see a mini Layton spin off come along in the Earthbound series style, It just seemed like such a perfect fit.

I should probably try out more of these detective based games now that you guys mention them. I adore the Layton and Ace Attorney series so I should definitely check them all out.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So out of curiosity has anyone here ever played Doctor Lautrek and the forgotten knights?

I've never played it myself but the protagonist is such a dang ripoff of Hershell that I find it hilarious.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So out of curiosity has anyone here ever played Doctor Lautrek and the forgotten knights?

I've never played it myself but the protagonist is such a dang ripoff of Hershell that I find it hilarious.
I did actually. I even played a bit of May's Mysteries. Another Layton rip off, but I could barely finish that one, arguably an even more blatand one. (I think it even had the same UI as Curious Village if I recall)

Doctor Lautrec was kind of a mix between Layton, Pokemon and Metal Gear, but very watered down and repetitive on all accounts. I might unironically want to see a Doctor Lautrec Mii costume or Spirit at least if Layton made it in, just for laughs. Since he was created by Konami and all.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh yeah, Lautrek was a thing.

...That was so weird.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I did actually. I even played a bit of May's Mysteries. Another Layton rip off, but I could barely finish that one, arguably an even more blatand one. (I think it even had the same UI as Curious Village if I recall)

Doctor Lautrec was kind of a mix between Layton, Pokemon and Metal Gear, but very watered down and repetitive on all accounts. I might unironically want to see a Doctor Lautrec Mii costume or Spirit at least if Layton made it in, just for laughs. Since he was created by Konami and all.
This would be freaking hilarious if it happened and I would buy the costume day 1.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder what Satoru Shibata has been up to these day's. He was the former president of Nintendo of Europe until he stepped down last year in April I think.
He was then promoted as one of the higher ups at Nintendo of Japan. I wonder if he was one of the higher ups that helped Sakurai decide on the DLC characters. If so then that might bode well for us. The guy was a huge Professor Layton and Ace Attorney fan, even down to cosplaying as the characters themselves in Nintendo Directs. Plus I'm sure he's very well aware of the series popularity in Europe.

Eitherway, I hope he is doing well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder what Satoru Shibata has been up to these day's. He was the former president of Nintendo of Europe until he stepped down last year in April I think.
He was then promoted as one of the higher ups at Nintendo of Japan. I wonder if he was one of the higher ups that helped Sakurai decide on the DLC characters. If so then that might bode well for us. The guy was a huge Professor Layton and Ace Attorney fan, even down to cosplaying as the characters themselves in Nintendo Directs. Plus I'm sure he's very well aware of the series popularity in Europe.

Eitherway, I hope he is doing well.
you and me both

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Looking back at the old trailer, I find it funny how the Layton series itself later went on to have two cronie villains like Jean and Paul for Targent in Azran Legacy with Macaw and Robin. I think they had a similar characterization and send off too if I recall.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No time like the present, as they say. With any luck, you may get a following by Smash 6.
well i tried it for cing's other star back in the day and it didnt work

Looking back at the old trailer, I find it funny how the Layton series itself later went on to have two cronie villains like Jean and Paul for Targent in Azran Legacy with Macaw and Robin. I think they had a similar characterization and send off too if I recall.
oh blimey i forgot about that game, they werent even trying to be subtle with it

D

Deleted member

While he isn’t my most wanted, I would be interested about joining the possible supporter list of this thread.

I actually have a deep personal experience with the Layton series, since the DS titles were the second thing I played regarding videogames after Brain Training, and I have fond memories of them due to that.
Not to mention the fact that my father was also deeply invested in the series back then too, owning almost every game released on the DS and having seen the animated movie with me.

I personally want Crash more, but Layton does seem like a pick that I would enjoy due to a nostalgia value and interest for a potential moveset.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While he isn’t my most wanted, I would be interested about joining the possible supporter list of this thread.

I actually have a deep personal experience with the Layton series, since the DS titles were the second thing I played regarding videogames after Brain Training, and I have fond memories of them due to that.
Not to mention the fact that my father was also deeply invested in the series back then too, owning almost every game released on the DS and having seen the animated movie with me.

I personally want Crash more, but Layton does seem like a pick that I would enjoy due to a nostalgia value and interest for a potential moveset.
I'm happy to hear that you and your father have had some good times with the series JDCabrera. I've added you to the supporters list.

I wish you the best of luck with Crash as well!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm happy to hear that you and your father have had some good times with the series JDCabrera. I've added you to the supporters list.
I wish you the best of luck with Crash as well!
Thanks!

It would be cool to have Eight, Samus, Crash and Layton all together in a single game. Let’s hope for the best!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Even as someone riding the Phoenix Wright rocket to the moon, I can't deny that Layton and Crash would make a super exciting final two.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well i tried it for cing's other star back in the day and it didnt work

oh blimey i forgot about that game, they werent even trying to be subtle with it
That's the problem, Smash 4/Brawl's speculation periods had really stiff amounts of characters that people wanted, especially if you wanted to support anyone from the GBA or DS.

At least now things are getting somewhat easier.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That's the problem, Smash 4/Brawl's speculation periods had really stiff amounts of characters that people wanted, especially if you wanted to support anyone from the GBA or DS.

I went back to the Smash 4 days to see if Ryu fans were excited and...wow. Oof. People were mean as hell back then. Folks going into other support threads just to say "I don't support this", "Capcom shouldn't get a second rep", "What a boring character!" and talking about how lame the datamine was and stuff...ouch.

I'm glad things seem to have calmed down now, though the Banjo thread was mad salty when Hero got revealed for a bit there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I went back to the Smash 4 days to see if Ryu fans were excited and...wow. Oof. People were mean as hell back then. Folks going into other support threads just to say "I don't support this", "Capcom shouldn't get a second rep", "What a boring character!" and talking about how lame the datamine was and stuff...ouch.

I'm glad things seem to have calmed down now, though the Banjo thread was mad salty when Hero got revealed for a bit there.
At least I was patient. My experience from the August Smash direct honed my intuition into assuming something (even) more exciting would wait at the end.

I'm just glad I somehow managed to find a video for the E3 stream without getting spoiled too heavily (just Animal Crossing's new title and BOTW2 existing).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah the good thing about Smash Ultimate finally addressing a lot of the big time wants of the Smash community, even if you personally aren't interested in them, it gives a bit more of a chance for the characters you are interested in seeing in getting more noticed now.

I mean there is Isaac and Geno left from the Brawl era requests. And I suppose Krystal and Midna. But besides that. I think they have more or less addressed most of the characters the speculation community wanted during that time period in Smash.

That is something I definitely wouldn't condone. Sure there are some characters I personally don't care much about, but I wouldn't go into the support threads of whoever is confirmed and rain on their parade.

One thing I am a tad concerned with though. If Layton is one of the final reveals, that there might be a bit of a backlash coming into the thread. It tends to happen a lot with characters that are revealed last. Hopefully things will remain calm though, especially after a big time community want with Banjo is in now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That is something I definitely wouldn't condone. Sure there are some characters I personally don't care much about, but I wouldn't go into the support threads of whoever is confirmed and rain on their parade.

One thing I am a tad concerned with though. If Layton is one of the final reveals, that there might be a bit of a backlash coming into the thread. It tends to happen a lot with characters that are revealed last. Hopefully things will remain calm though, especially after a big time community want with Banjo is in now.
Nooooo kidding. Banjo's thread had to fend off Steve defenders every so often, those days are finally over now. Trendy recent character wants can be a mean affair.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nooooo kidding. Banjo's thread had to fend off Steve defenders every so often, those days are finally over now. Trendy recent character wants can be a mean affair.
I guess its a good thing that Layton isn't really the hot topic with rumours and whatnot and that its a bit more underground, at least, in terms of the Smash community, otherwise things might have gotten ugly.

If he is in, hopefully Sakurai can keep him a surprise until then.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess its a good thing that Layton isn't really the hot topic with rumours and whatnot and that its a bit more underground, at least, in terms of the Smash community, otherwise things might have gotten ugly.

If he is in, hopefully Sakurai can keep him a surprise until then.
Yeah, leaks spring quite often at the moment, even if some aren't even on the right pipe. And even if he isn't on the current pass, hopefully there may be more opportunities after February.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah the good thing about Smash Ultimate finally addressing a lot of the big time wants of the Smash community, even if you personally aren't interested in them, it gives a bit more of a chance for the characters you are interested in seeing in getting more noticed now.

I mean there is Isaac and Geno left from the Brawl era requests. And I suppose Krystal and Midna. But besides that. I think they have more or less addressed most of the characters the speculation community wanted during that time period in Smash.

Eh, I think that people got Banjo so at this point they'll be up for anyone.

Hero didn't get backlash as many people predicted so I think Layton's safe.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Supporting Phoenix, Layton, and even a Style Savvy Rep has been rough. I can only imagine the backlash for that last one if Sakurai surprises me - I already got a taste for it when I got her rated in RTC and it was nasty.

But I think Phoenix and Layton both have a ton of respect as DS saviors and icons so any negativity would be mitigated by that. They're pretty popular in fan circles and out, so...

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Layton turns out to be one of the last characters in the Fighter Pass, I certainly wouldn't be mad, nor would I come in here to complain. I'd be okay with him or Phoenix (though I have doubts to whether Capcom will get a 4th character) joining the battle. I can't really be all that mad since Banjo made the cut, since he was one of the most wanted characters in the game (probably top 5 for me at least, though Geno is my most wanted overall).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh, I think that people got Banjo so at this point they'll be up for anyone.

Hero didn't get backlash as many people predicted so I think Layton's safe.
I mean, some people are expecting Sakurai to "top" Banjo and Hero (for Japan) for the final two Fighters pass characters.
Even though that's something he never really does. After all, we got Corrin and Bayonetta after Ryu and Cloud. Incineroar after Ridley, Simon and K.Rool. Olimar and ROB after Snake, Wario, Sonic etc

I guess that's one of those things where history tends to repeat itself.... It would probably blow over after some time as people warm up to the character though.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean, some people are expecting Sakurai to "top" Banjo and Hero (for Japan) for the final two Fighters pass characters.
Even though that's something he never really does. After all, we got Corrin and Bayonetta after Ryu and Cloud. Incineroar after Ridley, Simon and K.Rool. Olimar and ROB after Snake, Wario, Sonic etc

I guess that's one of those things where history tends to repeat itself.... It would probably blow over after some time as people warm up to the character.
This could all be avoided if Smash PR wasn't stupid and ended things on a good note. Alas, that's not how they do things.

People do seem to be getting savvier to this though, many aren't expecting a reveal comparable to Banjo (there's also the fact that barring maybe Waluigi or Geno that reveal doesn't exist).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This could all be avoided if Smash PR wasn't stupid and ended things on a good note. Alas, that's not how they do things.

People do seem to be getting savvier to this though, many aren't expecting a reveal comparable to Banjo (there's also the fact that barring maybe Waluigi or Geno that reveal doesn't exist).
That's good then if more people are starting to catch on to this now. hopefully things will go well then for the final two characters. Especially after we got Banjo now.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Silly thought, but if Layton were to get in, my #1 wish would that he'd be accompanied by a 'Beneath the Mask' style remix of this:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

sure for 3rd party characters, lesser know nintendo characters not so much

Top Bottom