• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem with approaching... Solved?

Nils!

Smash Rookie
Hello, everyone. Brief introduction. My name is Nils! I'm an avid Bowser player who has, honestly only ever played in one competetive tournament. I play semifrequently with my friends, and I hate level nine computers. Now, this being said, I'm always trying to troll the internet for new techniques I can use for our favorite Koopa. For the past couple of months, I've been using a technique with Bowser that, even in all competetive videos I've watched of him, have never seen. Perhaps I stumbled across something new, or perhaps I'm just lame, so I'll get straight into the info and let you decide.

Short-hop air-dodge. For many characters, this is a useless technique; it leaves them vulnerable in the air, but too close to the ground to actually pull off an attack. However, Bowser, Game and Watch, and Ganon all have an air-dodge that lasts long enough, and (paired with size) makes it a very different story.

Bowser's short-hop air-dodge, SHAD as I've called it before (might already be named, bleh)
is very effective, because the moment your air-dodge ends, you are fully capable of doing any ground attack immediately. The animation is also awkard, confusing players who are especially unfamiliar with the tactic.

Mind you, the split second you are able to attack again, you also become vulnerable. Against the all-knowing level-9 computers, this can occasionally cause a problem, but even they frequently have a hard time dealing with it.

Beyond that, you can also fully change directions upon landing if you tap the control stick in the oppisite direction you were facing at approximately the same time as landing. (It becomes easy with practice.)

You can also do a running grab or attack from it, allowing for some rather interesting mind-games.

The way I use it ismost frequently this: (Unless an opportunity for a smash or flame-trap occurs)

0%-75% of the enemy: SHADing around the opponent, pulling off Koopa's A, mixing in down throws, running attacks, and the occasionaly forteress.

75%+: At this point I start SHADing into downsmashes and tilts. Depending on the character I'm facing, I'd use either the dtilt or ftilt.

Umm, I do have a video for demonstration, but this was from only a week after I got Brawl, and I hadn't realized the value of this technique quite yet, so I used it once (It was actually somewhat irritating, praying that I used it at all in this video, the only one I have. XD). Ignore my horrible skills in the rest of the video and focus on 5:58 (incorrect usage, but close,) and 6:03 (better usage, but still not perfect.) The result of the fight, if you do find yourself watching, is that Bowser wins, painful a beating though he took.

Umm... I hope this helped solve the question of approaches and I was able to contribute something that was new. If not, I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

PS: Umm, also, I'm curious if an index of Bowser techniques (expert or otherwise) exists here. I'm still not all that familiar with competetive play, and I'd like to learn a bit more about how to use my beloved, horribly deformed fire-type blastoise.

Popertop

Smash Champion
There's a Bowser guide on here I think.

But yeah, we've covered this, and it's not all that useful.
Just stick to Fair for aerial approach and Ftilt for ground spacing.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
I SHAD with Charizard and I find it to be extremely useful.

Its a great mindgame and approach option.

People underestimate it without even trying it out...

Popertop

Smash Champion
No, we're saying we've already tried it, and that lingering hitboxes beat this approach. You will get murdered vs G&W.
Also, it leaves you open for a frame as you hit the ground, so they could time a frame perfect grab or something like that as well.

Nils!

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips, Poper. Out of curiousity, for more situational use of it (I do it habitually) situational thing, do you happen to know off hand which characters have fewer lingering hitboxes, etc? (I'm honestly not familiar with any of the actual mechanics of gameplay, as I don't play competetively and I've never heard of half of the terms on this board.)

calv

Smash Cadet
I use that technique quite often, it goes nicely with a whirling fortrerss as soon as you land.

kock

Smash Rookie
it's good to through in for a mind game once in a while but other approaches are much better in most situations

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I usuallty let them come to me. I dodge/block their attack then I attack. Maybe I should try being as little more offensive but I'm more of a defensive guy. Bah, I don't know lol :dizzy:

KishSquared

Smash Master
I use this technique a lot, especially when playing on Gamebattles. It's absolutely essential for getting in on a ROB or Pit, or any spammy character. If anything I tend to overuse this technique - it must be used intelligently and appropriately. Spacing is also essential, you cannot approach too close or you'll be punished by a smart spammer.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I use this technique a lot, especially when playing on Gamebattles. It's absolutely essential for getting in on a ROB or Pit, or any spammy character. If anything I tend to overuse this technique - it must be used intelligently and appropriately. Spacing is also essential, you cannot approach too close or you'll be punished by a smart spammer.
so true so so true.

Its all about knowing Bowser's range and using it to its best. Forward B works often if used correctly. Its a REALLY good move I think because of the fact that most players will think your going to land on them using an attack they can punish you out of once its finish but then you use the Claw and grab them out of their guard.

Its truly a masterpiece

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
If you want to approach correctly learn the timing of your jab, if you know the timing of the jab you can clank and or brush aside a lot of the moves in the game. His Jab is my favorite approach.

Top Bottom