• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i don't think he loses to fox, its just a weird matchup where like 90% of the attacks you use are going to be jabs.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
Why does Greninja lose to Sonic? Bad out of shield options and hard to attack back to spin dash spam?

Doesn't seem like an impossible matchup to me but he has an advantage. I'm just curious what the specific reason is?

I might be blinded from beating a Sonic a little while ago.

edit: 100th post cool

Last edited:

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Why does Greninja lose to Sonic? Bad out of shield options and hard to attack back to spin dash spam?

Doesn't seem like an impossible matchup to me but he has an advantage. I'm just curious what the specific reason is?

I might be blinded from beating a Sonic a little while ago.

edit: 100th post cool
I think we can deal with spin dash spam alright. Sonic can just choose his fights well and get out of a lot of our follow ups without much effort. Sonic does Sonic things to us, what do we do to Sonic? It's really not that bad, but eh.

And I'm not sure if we lose to Fox or not, but it's not really a big deal IMO. Jab is really good in this match up, like @ momochuu momochuu said. Also, we can destroy his recovery pretty well.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Got 9th out of 50 today, I feel like I'm improving at a good speed but I just have some stuff to work on.

I also won a $20 ditto money match that declared me best Greninja in Michigan :)

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I had crappy internet and could only play offline for a month. Now I can play again and using Greninja online is like being on a Slip N Slide.

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
So i have a tournament comming up next weekend, and i am consistently geting into winners but then being knocked out almost instantly by either a Jiggs or a Marth. Any advice for the matchup? the marth seems to be able to Fair through most of my stuff and he spaces too well for a jab OoS. Jigs just reads me like a book =.=

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Hi guys! Remember me? I'm that casual scrub that would occasionally post here.:bee:
Anyway I think I got almost of the fundamentals of Greninja but I'm having trouble spacing with the forward air. I 've practiced with it but most of the time I whiff it. Doesn't help that I met another Greninja earlier on FG that spaced it so well. Any help?
Edit:Holy crap, that combo tutorial video last page. :love:

Last edited:

31IV

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reshilegend
I had crappy internet and could only play offline for a month. Now I can play again and using Greninja online is like being on a Slip N Slide.
Ahh those lovely nair SDs and the constant feeling of not being able to play your best.
:[

TheRealDonquavious

Smash Cadet
As for the marth matchup, I do my best to throw as many shurikens as possible, as it wins us the neutral. If they are throwing out fairs via full hop or fading away with them, punish with shurikens or disrupt his aerial momentum with an angled hydro pump. If he repeatedly full hop fairs, read it and run under and up smash. It is important to remember that you don't have to approach here, just aggravate him with shurikens and mobility until he does something stupid, then be ready to get as much damage out of it as possible. Hydro pump kills his recovery too.

As for jigglypuff, I'm not the most experienced in the matchup, but I do know it is heavily in Greninjas favor. Up smash is anti-air and kills at 70 uncharged. Other than that, I don't know much

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just some random guy here...

Not sure if people still really believe the rumor, but I debunked the "it's hard to Uspecial as Greninja" thing. I have these controllers that I can set up to control multiple ports at once and try things like this. So if I aimed for a diagonal, both Gren and Mario would both Uspecial or Fspecial in unison, meaning they both have the same area to activate a Uspecial.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
No, it's not. I've already explained this. The angle for up special becomes wider while in the air, and I'm guessing you didn't test that because that's the difference. But Shadow Sneak doesn't have that, it's the same angle while in the air or on the ground. Shadow Sneak is the only move in the game that does this. I've heard someone give an idea as to why that is, but I don't remember what they said.

You really think people getting side B's in the air when that doesn't happen when they play any other character was just some inexplicable anomaly?

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
no i mean like
people who say that it's harder
are just people who do panicky up b attempts and mess up lmao

eh whatever

you people are testing and i dont feel like doing that so meh

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It IS technically harder, though. The angle for Hydro Pump is always small, only around roughly 60 degrees, whereas the angle for up B on every other character widens to nearly 180 degrees while in the air. Maybe it has something to do with that Shadow Sneak doesn't have a startup animation when you enter the input, that you can start the move in the air and continue it on the ground, who knows. I assume it's a technical quirk rather than "**** Greninja."

Last edited:

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Not L-cancelling. It's a Link thing mostly. I had trouble figuring out what it said, but I think I got it and tested it to be sure.

Basically, Link can fullhop -> buffer air dodge -> buffer Uair (this lets you buffer a FF sooner I think) -> buffer FF and land without landing lag because the Uair still hasn't become active yet. He did it with Nair too, which does appear to have a hitbox, but I think the move does have landing lag, it's just really small. It's a simple movement/bait option.

You could try to apply the concept to Greninja for some possible interesting movement options, but I don't think it actually works for him really, so yea. Probably nothing to see here.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
There's some weird landing stuff in this game. Like how Lucas can't short hop airdodge without landing lag, but if you start a back air he can, and I'm sure he's not the only one like that.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i can't remember the last time i SD'd with shadow sneak while trying to do hydro pump

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I only get Shadow Sneak when I'm trying to Hydro Pump someone off the platform on Smashville.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
It happens occasionally online to me, but I tend to put myself in good position to recover vertically so it's not an issue. When I have to go horizontal into vertical it still never really happens. Just lots of time spent with the input to get past anything finicky.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Summer's pretty over , hope everyone enjoyed there's. Achieved none of my Sm4sh goals, and rather took a break from it. I started again yesterday, and man, Greninja is a lot of work to play lol.

Jetkick

The Next Frokage
NNID
Jetkick
3DS FC
2122-7716-0679
Summer's pretty over , hope everyone enjoyed there's. Achieved none of my Sm4sh goals, and rather took a break from it. I started again yesterday, and man, Greninja is a lot of work to play lol.
Hes not alot of work after you understand how he works.

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
tbh i feel like achieved none of mine, yet i had some unexpected turn of events in my smash journey than turned out to be even better that what i wanted, you'll get yours soon bro

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I was doing really poorly against a Lucina who did a ton of short hop forward air and then Dancing Blade or forward smash. I should have changed to Lucas and just PK Fired every short hop.

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
am i the only one having issues with the greninja Skype group? one day it lets me send messages just fine and the other it just keep popping up the "message failed" exclamation mark

Top Bottom