• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Planet Earth Thread - Our Planet is Breathtakingly Beautiful

Atlus8

Smash Master
Prepare your minds to be blown away!

I found these links a while back and it amazed me so much!

2008 in Photographs!
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/12/the_year_2008_in_photographs_p.html

2009 in Photographs!
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/2009_in_photos_part_1_of_3.html

Remember, there are 3 parts to each one!

2008, page 2, pic 25 is my fav!
Here's a vid of that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwYrPhLBvz8&feature=channel

Edit - It would be mighty nice if you can add the 08 and 09 links on the op!

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Naica Mine(Cave of crystals)

The Naica Mine of the Mexican state of Chihuahua is a working mine that is known for its extraordinary selenite crystals. Located in Naica in the municipality of Saucillo, Naica is a lead, zinc and silver mine in which large voids have been found, containing crystals of selenite (gypsum) as large as 4 feet (1.2 m) in diameter and 36 feet (11 m) long.The Cave of Crystals (Cueva de los Cristales) is a chamber approximately 1,000 feet (300 m) down in the limestone host rock of the mine. The chamber contains giant selenite crystals, some of the largest natural crystals ever found.The selenite crystals were formed by hydrothermal fluids emanating from the magma chambers below. The cavern was discovered while the miners were drilling through the Naica fault, which they were worried would flood the mine.

I think this place looks truly magical.
reminds me of the legend of zelda

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The world's most amazing roads

Milford Road, New Zealand

Stelvio Pass, Italy

Great Ocean Road, Australia

Chalus Road, Iran

Cabot Trail, Canada

I-70 at Glenwood Canyon, Colorado

Millau Bridge, France

Karakoram Highway, Pakistan

Mountain road, Snowdonia, Wales

Ice Highway, Canada

Chapman’s Peak Drive, South Africa

Mountain road, central Peru

Seven Mile Bridge, Florida Keys

Lapaz to Coroico, Bolivia

Zion National Park, Utah,

Meadowlands, New Jersey

Greenwich Township, Berks County

Las Canadas del Teide, Spain

Himalaya Highway

Zynx

Smash Rookie
Socotra:

Socotra or Soqotra (Arabic سُقُطْرَى ; Suquṭra) is a small archipelago of four islands in the Indian Ocean. It lies off some 240 kilometres (150 mi) east of the Horn of Africa and 380 kilometres (240 mi) south of the Arabian Peninsula.[1] The island is very isolated and through the process of speciation, a third of its plant life is found nowhere else on the planet. It has been described as the most alien-looking place on Earth.[2]

The unearthly beauty of Socotra:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Let's keep this thread going people, I need a little inspiration!

I'll contribute more....eventually lol.

Kole

Smash Lord
Sorry for bumping. :(

Canaima National Park, Venuzuela

Sossusvlei, Namibia

Ala Archa Gorge, Kyrgyzstan

Seljalandsfoss, Iceland

Plitvice Lakes, Croatia

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
I loved reading this thread and I think it deserves a little boost :). Sadly, I don't know much about beautiful places, but I know somewhat about octopuses and squids :o.

The Colossal Squid

Featured in loads of movies, yet the collosal squid is a very illusive creature. As it's name suggests, it is the largest squid there is. It's mantle (body) is relatively small, in comparison the rest of his body, being only 2-3 meters, while it's overall length can range up to 13 meters. Colossal squids happen to have the largest eye of any animal, with an eye of about 27 centimeters in diameter.
It has a beak, just as a bird, and it has one of the strongest bites in the animal kingdom. Very few specimens of these creatures have been found. This most certainly is a creature of extremes.

The Blue-ringed octopus

The blue-ringed octopus is a species of the octopus family living in the Pacific. It's a very attractive animal; vivid colours that are fluorescent! However, knowing the animal kingdom, this can only mean one thing; this octopus is extremely venomous.
The creature is only 12 to 20 centimeters across, but is deadly enough to kill a man, and watch out, there is no antivenom! When the octopus is agitated, dark patches of skin will glow brightly, with a blue ring around them.

Once again, sorry for bumping, I'll post more later, it's 1:30 AM here :p.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Did anyone else notice the image of a face in the second octpus picture (the blue and orange one)?

Focus right on the centre of the image, then moves your focus slightly to the left. The blue spots on what appears to be the back of the octupus' head make a face.

Peeze

Smash Master
Saw snow for the first time the other day when i vacationed in London. I know i'm technically an adult but i still made snow angels.
The little things in life...

BEES

Smash Lord
Less talk, more earth pictures.

Linville Gorge Wilderness

4 hours from my house! Just goes to show there isn't anywhere on Earth that's more than a few hour drive from something awesome. Although sometimes there's a very long hike at the end of that drive.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Looking at all of these pictures reminded me of the "Where the Hell is Matt" videos on Youtube. In case if you don't know it's this guy who gets paid to travel to all of these amazing places around the world. He's even been to a lot of the places in the OP! :laugh:

It's definitely one of my favorite Youtube videos of all time.

2006- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4&feature=channel
2008- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY&feature=channel

Anyways, this is a 6 star thread. Very insightful and very inspiring. Good work.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
All these photos so far are breath taking...
'Where the Hell is Matt?' I heard about him, I should watch him more often. Those places are beautiful!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Bump.

We should revitalise this thread by posting pictures not only of where we'd love to go but beautiful places we have been! Who's with me?

I'm going Berlin this weekend. Will be snapping away.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Such an inspiring thread!

[collapse="Aurora Borealis"]There are so many of these pics around and they're all stunning. Google them to find an infinite wealth of these tremendous pictures.

[collapse="#1]
[/collapse]
[collapse="#2]
[/collapse]
[collapse="#3]
[/collapse]
[collapse="#4]
[/collapse]
[collapse="#5]
[/collapse]
[collapse="#6]
[/collapse][/collapse]

I wanted to post a series with images of fjords but apparently SWF can only handle so many tags in one post =/

:059:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
whoa. sarek national park is so amazing.

i suppose posting outer space is fair game in this thread? earth has beautiful things, for sure, because we see them up close and they are local. but in the great beyond...

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Found out about these birds called Fairy Wrens.

The males are a beautiful vibrant blue, while the females are brown. A couple were hopping around my university in Australia.

Fairy Wrens

Jane

Smash Hero
wow, beautiful. its so cool how in most birds, the male is the attractive one. just goes to show how many different paths evolution can take a species in.

Top Bottom