• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The only buff Meta Knight needs is range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
He only needs range, basically nothing else, in SSBB the only thing that was WRONG with him was his tornado and glide, drill, no-lag, that was basically all, if we just get the range back, he would then be balanced considering ever single meta knight I see on spectate(replay channel) always lose, not to mention his attack, but seriously, his low attack is fine, we just need range.

Last edited:

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
...Those weren't close to being the only things wrong with him in Brawl.
The point is, Meta Knight is decent in SSB4, but not balanced AT ALL, lets face, it imagine a Yoshi vs Meta Knight scenario right here. If he had a little bit more range, more then the tip of his sword, he would then be balanced, plus his lag from his moves already make him bad, so that's a weakness you can then hit if theres a Meta Knight with long range, not to mention he's from Sakurai's game he made.

Even in tournaments he loses 98% of the time, I only seen over 4 tournaments of him winning a match, not even the finals.

Last edited:

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
The point is, Meta Knight is decent in SSB4, but not balanced AT ALL, lets face, it imagine a Yoshi vs Meta Knight scenario right here. If he had a little bit more range, more then the tip of his sword, he would then be balanced, plus his lag from his moves already make him bad, so that's a weakness you can then hit if theres a Meta Knight with long range, not to mention he's from Sakurai's game he made.

Even in tournaments he loses 98% of the time, I only seen over 4 tournaments of him winning a match, not even the finals.
Don't be hating. Sm4sh MK's super legit. Someone more experienced will probably post something better than I can come up with tomorrow, but whatever.

Why did you bring up MK v Yoshi? You don't provide any reasons, all you say is that he would be better if he had more range, which can be said of any character. The lag from his moves doesn't make him bad at all. You're probably trying way too hard to be aggressive. Randomly throwing out moves is never a good idea with any character. Just don't overcommit. What does MK being from a game Sakurai made have to do with anything? As for tourney results, there are very few good Yoshi players in the US, so you won't see much of him in tournaments, but that doesn't make him bad, he's one of the best characters in the game.

Last edited:

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
Don't be hating. Sm4sh MK's super legit. Someone more experienced will probably post something better than I can come up with tomorrow, but whatever.

Why did you bring up MK v Yoshi? You don't provide any reasons, all you say is that he would be better if he had more range, which can be said of any character. The lag from his moves doesn't make him bad at all. You're probably trying way too hard to be aggressive. Randomly throwing out moves is never a good idea with any character. Just don't overcommit. What does MK being from a game Sakurai made have to do with anything? As for tourney results, there are very few good Yoshi players in the US, so you won't see much of him in tournaments, but that doesn't make him bad, he's one of the best characters in the game.
Hes fun to use, but im just saying, he got over nerfed imo.

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
Get better.
Do FG online with Meta Knight, come back with the results.

Also, imagine a Ganondorf with 8/100% of his power right now(which will never happen), hes still heavy, and has a low recovery, would you play with him?

Last edited:

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067

Also, imagine a Ganondorf with 8/100% of his power right now(which will never happen), hes still heavy, and has a low recovery, would you play with him?
?

Ganon's power is really all he has going for him, other than the fact that he's Ganon. Metaknight still has great recovery, punish game, and decent kill options, and he got nothing but buffs in 1.0.4. Sm4sh MK doesn't need Brawl MK's unnecessarily high kill power to still be stronk. Don't just say imo. Actual reasons. Also, FG is full of crap.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master

First of all, For Glory isn't an accurate depiction of a characters ability to perform in tournament play.

Secondly, your example is terrible.

Third, stop complaining.

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
?

Ganon's power is really all he has going for him, other than the fact that he's Ganon. Metaknight still has great recovery, punish game, and decent kill options, and he got nothing but buffs in 1.0.4. Sm4sh MK doesn't need Brawl MK's unnecessarily high kill power to still be stronk. Don't just say imo. Actual reasons. Also, FG is full of crap.
Im just saying this, he has no kill power, meaning opponents can come in and get a lot of DMG, its not really easy to land a up-B kill, especially when its too fast, the only kill move I see from him is down-b and forward smash. Im not doing a argument, neither are you, im not saying anything bad about you, im just saying most of his moves have more lag and are easy to punish.'

"First of all, For Glory isn't an accurate depiction of a characters ability to perform in tournament play."

who cares about tournament play? FG has teabaggers, perfect for losing most of the time.

"Secondly, your example is terrible."
Get out if you knew this would start into a argument/flame

"Third, stop complaining."
Imagine your most favorite character you used in SSBB getting ruined in SSB4, with low attack power, no kill power at all, and loses 79% of the time, im not saying meta knight, but any character you love.

I love Meta Knight, his dark personality, his batman-like self, he's awesome, but im just really not comfortable with his lack of low range, they should've putted the hitbox on the tip of the slash light of the sword. Really don't want to start a flame here.

Last edited:

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Im just saying this, he has no kill power, meaning opponents can come in and get a lot of DMG, its not really easy to land a up-B kill, especially when its too fast, the only kill move I see from him is down-b and forward smash. Im not doing a argument, neither are you, im not saying anything bad about you, im just saying most of his moves have more lag and are easy to punish.'

"First of all, For Glory isn't an accurate depiction of a characters ability to perform in tournament play."

who cares about tournament play? FG has teabaggers, perfect for losing most of the time.

"Secondly, your example is terrible."
Get out if you knew this would start into a argument/flame

"Third, stop complaining."
Imagine your most favorite character you used in SSBB getting ruined in SSB4, with low attack power, no kill power at all, and loses 79% of the time, im not saying meta knight, but any character you love.
I'm sorry, but if you think MK was "ruined" in Sm4sh and wasn't already in Brawl... you just suck. Shuttle Loop is stupid easy to land. Fsmash isn't reliable. Dcape also isn't something to rely on for kills. You might want to check this out, it's really good. This thread doesn't need to be bumped, so if you want to argue, PM me.

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
I'm sorry, but if you think MK was "ruined" in Sm4sh and wasn't already in Brawl... you just suck. Shuttle Loop is stupid easy to land. Fsmash isn't reliable. Dcape also isn't something to rely on for kills. This thread doesn't need to be bumped, so if you want to argue, PM me.
You really had to start a flame.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I actually think Meta Knight needs a little bit more range, but everything else is fine, the lag is reasonable and the move damage is reasonable, the range just doesn't make sense, we should really stop posting before a argument appears.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I keep seeing complaints on these boards about Meta Knight and how he just isn't up to par. That's not the only consensus, but it is a popular one. I don't see it. He lost a lot of advantages, sure. But whether or not he's a good character isn't dependent on how he is now compared to what he was in Brawl, it's dependent on how good he is relative to the rest of the cast. Is he top tier? I'm inclined to say no. Could he win some tournaments, or place highly in major tournaments, like a national? I definitely think so.

As far as his range goes, his range is actually quite good. Meta Knights only real issues are that gimping is hard thanks to ledge mechanics, one of his premier KO moves is a combo move and prone to being stale, he's light, and he doesn't do the best against certain projectiles.

If this were like. Three years from now, and we had a tier list that was sensible, and 90% of Meta Knight's game was figured out along with the other characters, then I could see how you would have room to make tangible complaints. That's not the case right now, so either learn the character, play, and progress the characters development, or go and switch mains. I hear Diddy Kong is pretty face roll.

Last edited:

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
You don't see how people think Meta Knight is bad?

As you just said yourself, gimping with meta knight is no longer a good option, because of the new ledge mechanics. He has arguably one of the worst ledge camping options on the game, considering none of his moves can safely target people grabbing a ledge, unless you want to be heavily punished yourself (Upb someone holding on to a ledge).

We already know his kill moves are overall pretty bad, where his Upb is by far his most reliable one, which again suffers from easy punishments (Like literally every special of meta knight).

Meta Knight's ground approach game is surprisingly good in this game, i'll give him that. He's got the speed, dash attack and grab. However, his airgame is completely garbage, with his short range areals that doesn't cover his sides at all, only a very small area in the direction he is attacking (this is an absolute glaring weakness). Couple this with no lingering hitboxes and huge landing lag on all areals except his UpA, which you naturally cannot approach with, as well as being outprioritized by most down airs in the game.

Jabs are also an important tool to most characters in this game. Sadly, Meta knight's jab is very rarely worth it, considering the ending lag is massive (since you are always forced through the entire animation) and results in something our knight in shining armor is very fond of in this game. Punish.

His tilts? Well, his uptilt is decent, but as most moves, covers only directly above him, giving it little usage. ftilts range is too short to be considering "good", since you cannot combo or kill with it. Also carries a pretty hefty lag as well. dtilt is admittedly pretty good, especially with it's innate property of tripping, but suffers from a very short range, killing a lot of it's potential.

As we all know, meta knight has no projectiles either, very often forcing him do the approaching (Not complaining, just pointing this out). He's also very light, which makes KO'ing him at low percentages fairly common. I'd like to think I have covered most of his biggest weaknesses, which is why most people consider him pretty low in power level.

Naturally, i've left out most of his strengths here, because the point here was to shed light onto why many consideres him weak. To avoid sounding really biased (which I know i've managed), I shall point out his main strengths.

Very good dash attack, ground speed and dthrow comboing safely comboing in a wide number of %'s. Superb recovery, along with his 6 jumps and teleport making him very slippery to hit in the air. Mach tornado and dimensional cape functioning as excellent punish moves. Shuttle loop (as much as a double edged sword that is).

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
You don't see how people think Meta Knight is bad?

As you just said yourself, gimping with meta knight is no longer a good option, because of the new ledge mechanics. He has arguably one of the worst ledge camping options on the game, considering none of his moves can safely target people grabbing a ledge, unless you want to be heavily punished yourself (Upb someone holding on to a ledge).
In regards to the ledge game, Meta Knight lost out on of his previous strengths because of the changes, but this doesn't necessarily make the character bad. Meta Knight still has 6 jumps and relatively decent aerials. It's difficult to gimp compared to before, but that goes for everyone else as well. All this means is that you need to apply different tactics than before, such as footstooling, or rely more on edge guard reads then edge gimps.

We already know his kill moves are overall pretty bad, where his Upb is by far his most reliable one, which again suffers from easy punishments (Like literally every special of meta knight).
His kill moves are not bad. Forward smash is good for reads, and Nair KO's really well. Up B can also still KO really easily, you just have to be conservative with it's use and weigh your options on whether or not to spam it as a combo ender for damage, or save it for the kill. Opting for other options like Tornado, Uair, or Usmash. Keeping the decay list in mind is important. Saying Meta Knight's kill moves are pretty bad is wrong in my opinion, especially when one of them links out of his dash attack.

Meta Knight's ground approach game is surprisingly good in this game, i'll give him that. He's got the speed, dash attack and grab. However, his airgame is completely garbage, with his short range areals that doesn't cover his sides at all, only a very small area in the direction he is attacking (this is an absolute glaring weakness). Couple this with no lingering hitboxes and huge landing lag on all areals except his UpA, which you naturally cannot approach with, as well as being outprioritized by most down airs in the game.
His aerials are not top tier, but they are good. The mere fact that he has a disjointed hitbox on a Kirby size hurtbox makes them good. His aerials suffer from more lag than they did in Brawl, but the lag suffered is fine relative to the overall roster. Meta Knight's air speed is also better in this game. I have a few questions regarding aerial interactions with projectiles. In my opinion, Brawl Meta Knight's laser priorty aerials in part a weakness because they interacted poorly with projectiles, and it only helped him in specific instances (like versus other Meta Knight), so his aerials may or may not have improved if this was removed.

Jabs are also an important tool to most characters in this game. Sadly, Meta knight's jab is very rarely worth it, considering the ending lag is massive (since you are always forced through the entire animation) and results in something our knight in shining armor is very fond of in this game. Punish.
Jab is a circumstantial move from what I can see. I think forward tilt will be better in most cases. That being said, I'm sure it will have niche uses. Niche moves are fine. I mean as long as forward tilt acts as a jab for Meta Knight I honestly don't see the problem. This was the same in Brawl too.

His tilts? Well, his uptilt is decent, but as most moves, covers only directly above him, giving it little usage. ftilts range is too short to be considering "good", since you cannot combo or kill with it. Also carries a pretty hefty lag as well. dtilt is admittedly pretty good, especially with it's innate property of tripping, but suffers from a very short range, killing a lot of it's potential.
You're crazy if you think Meta Knight's Utilt has little usage just because of the area it covers. If you're playing Meta Knight, you should be trying to play on platform stages, and Utilt is excellent here. It also beats out a large majority of moves from descending opponents. Forward tilt acts as a jab replacement. It doesn't need to have crazy range given how fast it is.

As we all know, meta knight has no projectiles either, very often forcing him do the approaching (Not complaining, just pointing this out). He's also very light, which makes KO'ing him at low percentages fairly common. I'd like to think I have covered most of his biggest weaknesses, which is why most people consider him pretty low in power level.

Naturally, i've left out most of his strengths here, because the point here was to shed light onto why many consideres him weak. To avoid sounding really biased (which I know i've managed), I shall point out his main strengths.

Very good dash attack, ground speed and dthrow comboing safely comboing in a wide number of %'s. Superb recovery, along with his 6 jumps and teleport making him very slippery to hit in the air. Mach tornado and dimensional cape functioning as excellent punish moves. Shuttle loop (as much as a double edged sword that is).
I've bothered to comment to create transparency on your criticisms. That isn't to say everything you've highlight is entirely wrong. But that isn't the point. Characters are allowed to have weaknesses. Where this perception comes from that Meta Knight is 'not good' is from relative value. Are his weaknesses more apparent than his strengths? Yes, he's bad against projectiles, but does that really matter much compared to everything else he has? He doesn't have the best jab in the game, but does he need it? These questions are pertinent and need to be analyzed. For now, I just see people complaining about the nerfs relative to his previous, overpowered self, akin to the way people complain about champions being nerfed in League of Legends when the patch notes hit, even though that champion is still blatantly overpowered anyway.

Last edited:

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
In regards to the ledge game, Meta Knight lost out on of his previous strengths because of the changes, but this doesn't necessarily make the character bad. Meta Knight still has 6 jumps and relatively decent aerials. It's difficult to gimp compared to before, but that goes for everyone else as well. All this means is that you need to apply different tactics than before, such as footstooling, or rely more on edge guard reads then edge gimps.
Gimping is however a pretty big deal for a character like Meta Knight, since it counts as a significant amount of his kills, which is why the character is overall designed with less kill moves. It's an unfair comparison to say that everyone else have difficulties gimping, when it really wasn't their speciality to begin with. He is arguably worse at both edge defenses, because of his lack of meteor and aforementioned weaknesses.

His kill moves are not bad. Forward smash is good for reads, and Nair KO's really well. Up B can also still KO really easily, you just have to be conservative with it's use and weigh your options on whether or not to spam it as a combo ender for damage, or save it for the kill. Opting for other options like Tornado, Uair, or Usmash. Keeping the decay list in mind is important. Saying Meta Knight's kill moves are pretty bad is wrong in my opinion, especially when one of them links out of his dash attack.
Every Fsmash is good for reads. That's a pretty weak argument for a smash with such a long wind up time and short range as Meta Knight's. Nair's KO potential is great outside the stage, but that's where it ends. The majority of moves kill people with high %'s outside of the stage. Up B is a great KO move, I wont deny that and i've said so earlier. You cannot expect people not to use Up B to avoid the dimishing effect when Up B stands for the majority of your combos though.

His aerials are not top tier, but they are good. The mere fact that he has a disjointed hitbox on a Kirby size hurtbox makes them good. His aerials suffer from more lag than they did in Brawl, but the lag suffered is fine relative to the overall roster. Meta Knight's air speed is also better in this game.
Not to nitpick, but you keep saying "good". If I am not completely mistaken, good implies that something is above average. Would you say Meta Knight's areals is overall better than the average character? What does it mean when you say the lag is fine relative to the rooster? I cannot speak for every character here, so correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't most(if not all?) characters have at least one areal with short landing lag, giving them some spacing option in the air -> ground?

Jab is a circumstantial move from what I can see. I think forward tilt will be better in most cases. That being said, I'm sure it will have niche uses. Niche moves are fine. I mean as long as forward tilt acts as a jab for Meta Knight I honestly don't see the problem. This was the same in Brawl too.

You're crazy if you think Meta Knight's Utilt has little usage just because of the area it covers. If you're playing Meta Knight, you should be trying to play on platform stages, and Utilt is excellent here. It also beats out a large majority of moves from descending opponents. Forward tilt acts as a jab replacement. It doesn't need to have crazy range given how fast it is.
In other words, Meta Knight's jab could have been simply deleted from the game, since it serves no purpose because ftilt covers everything it does. Just because it was the same in brawl doesn't make it valid.

I might be underestimating the strength of the utilt, so i'll give you that one. I was not thinking of the range however, more of the width of the move.

I've bothered to comment to create transparency on your criticisms. That isn't to say everything you've highlight is entirely wrong. But that isn't the point. Characters are allowed to have weaknesses. Where this perception comes from that Meta Knight is 'not good' is from relative value. Are his weaknesses more apparent than his strengths? Yes, he's bad against projectiles, but does that really matter much compared to everything else he has? He doesn't have the best jab in the game, but does he need it? These questions are pertinent and need to be analyzed. For now, I just see people complaining about the nerfs relative to his previous, overpowered self, akin to the way people complain about champions being nerfed in League of Legends when the patch notes hit, even though that champion is still blatantly overpowered anyway.
Never did I complain about characters having weaknesses, but I do believe it's apparent that Meta Knight's cons outweighs his pros. Why say best jab in the game? I am pointing out that his jab is so bad that it's turned into an actual downside. I was in no way happy with the old Meta Knight being unbelievably broken and I am happy he was nerfed, it was simply overdone. Again, that is yet to see, but unless more balance patches are planned, I fear that the majority of tournaments is going to consist of ninjas, girls in tights and apes.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Every Fsmash is good for reads. That's a pretty weak argument for a smash with such a long wind up time and short range as Meta Knight's. Nair's KO potential is great outside the stage, but that's where it ends. The majority of moves kill people with high %'s outside of the stage. Up B is a great KO move, I wont deny that and i've said so earlier. You cannot expect people not to use Up B to avoid the dimishing effect when Up B stands for the majority of your combos though.
Meta Knight has essentially no recovery on forward smash, making it a much safer option. You can't honestly believe every forward smash being good for reads is a solid argument can you? There's a risk/reward ratio to consider whenever you attempt a read, and Meta Knight has a much larger room for error, making that risk/reward ratio in his favor. Comparing his forward smash to someone like Ike's is silly.

Nair's KO potentially is strong to be used on stage. I'm not sure why you'd argue against that.

Not to nitpick, but you keep saying "good". If I am not completely mistaken, good implies that something is above average. Would you say Meta Knight's areals is overall better than the average character? What does it mean when you say the lag is fine relative to the rooster? I cannot speak for every character here, so correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't most(if not all?) characters have at least one areal with short landing lag, giving them some spacing option in the air -> ground?
His aerials as a stand alone are not better than the average character, but the way they work with his hitbox size and speed puts him above an average character. The lag on his aerials are long enough to the point where you can't spam them or make unsafe hits on shield, but good enough that if you space well or weave well in the air you won't get punished. Keep in mind that Meta Knight has 6 jumps and good ground game, so half the time you won't be in situations where you're incurring that landing lag. Meta Knight could SHFFL Fair and Bair in Brawl; you won't be doing that here.

In other words, Meta Knight's jab could have been simply deleted from the game, since it serves no purpose because ftilt covers everything it does. Just because it was the same in brawl doesn't make it valid.
I'm remaining open about his jab since it might have application I am not readily seeing. However, even assuming it serves no purpose, this doesn't augment your argument. It doesn't make him a worse character.

Never did I complain about characters having weaknesses, but I do believe it's apparent that Meta Knight's cons outweighs his pros. Why say best jab in the game? I am pointing out that his jab is so bad that it's turned into an actual downside. I was in no way happy with the old Meta Knight being unbelievably broken and I am happy he was nerfed, it was simply overdone. Again, that is yet to see, but unless more balance patches are planned, I fear that the majority of tournaments is going to consist of ninjas, girls in tights and apes.
Well agree to disagree. I think you're being myopic.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I would like more aerial range but Meta Knight is still a solid character however since I'm not a pro whenever I end up facing a hip hop fastfall Ike or Captain Falcon that like to pivot and fox trot everywhere I just lose because I either can't hit them or I'm assaulted by grabs that I just can't seem to avoid and somehow always get spiked. And them jumping up and down constantly just is disorienting to look at. And then I lose.

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight has essentially no recovery on forward smash, making it a much safer option. You can't honestly believe every forward smash being good for reads is a solid argument can you? There's a risk/reward ratio to consider whenever you attempt a read, and Meta Knight has a much larger room for error, making that risk/reward ratio in his favor. Comparing his forward smash to someone like Ike's is silly.

Nair's KO potentially is strong to be used on stage. I'm not sure why you'd argue against that.
Meta Knight has little room for error regarding his forward smash. Sure, you can blindly spam it into the air, but that is never going to grant you a hit because of the lackluster range. Most of the time, you are trying to read a roll, which in most cases are going to leave you open like the rest of the cast. In other words, you've sacrificed damage, range, speed and width on your smash, to be able to recover slightly faster. Wouldn't call it a good Fsmash by any means, it's pretty average. Don't pull out the worst possible examples like ike everytime to fit your agument. I might as well call his Fsmash completely worthless by comparing it to Marth's, which is not fair at all.

Nair doesn't kill people unless you get the perfect hit, coupled with them being upwards of 140%+. That's not good KO potential when the move has no range and pretty high landing lag on a character with slow horizontal movement.

His aerials as a stand alone are not better than the average character, but the way they work with his hitbox size and speed puts him above an average character. The lag on his aerials are long enough to the point where you can't spam them or make unsafe hits on shield, but good enough that if you space well or weave well in the air you won't get punished. Keep in mind that Meta Knight has 6 jumps and good ground game, so half the time you won't be in situations where you're incurring that landing lag. Meta Knight could SHFFL Fair and Bair in Brawl; you won't be doing that here.
I'll admit they are very safe to use defensively. As in spacing backwards and spamming your fair for example, dealing a grand total of 2 damage if you manage to whiff them. That's more or less it. There is nothing amazing in that, you can keep them away from you, but they deal so little damage and are incapable of any follow up to each other. Neither can you apply pressure to an opponent, because of the previously mentioned landing lag on all of them. It baffles me how you can imply they are strong, even in conjunction with how meta knight works.

I'm remaining open about his jab since it might have application I am not readily seeing. However, even assuming it serves no purpose, this doesn't augment your argument. It doesn't make him a worse character.
If the ftilt covers literally everything the jab does, in speed, damage, knockback and trumps it in safety. There is literally no reason to have the jab, since it only allows you to missclick and use an inferior jab. So in theory, it does weaken him, if ever so negligible it is. Nitpicking though, I just want the jab to have a purpose.

Well agree to disagree. I think you're being myopic.
Naturally.

I might be myopic, but at least I am not deluded.

I would like more aerial range but Meta Knight is still a solid character however since I'm not a pro whenever I end up facing a hip hop fastfall Ike or Captain Falcon that like to pivot and fox trot everywhere I just lose because I either can't hit them or I'm assaulted by grabs that I just can't seem to avoid and somehow always get spiked. And them jumping up and down constantly just is disorienting to look at. And then I lose.
Try fighting fox. I just played around 40 matches in FG. Pretty interesting fighting a character with no lag on any moves, with your most important combo / kill move not working. (dthrow into upB)

Last edited:

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
Fox is pretty amazing, he's annoying to face, but hes amazing, he's annoying for me, barely any lag on any moves besides the blaster and illusion, the only character I can win with against him is Sonic, hes just too fast with all of his moves.

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
I think our score ended up around 60 / 40 in his favor. Complete aids match up. Can't be gimped and is immune to the dthrow combo and very difficult to get in the dash combo.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
I think it would be nice if he had Marth's mechanic of the tip of the sword being more powerful, that would be nice.

EDIT - Yes, it would be nice...

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I think it would be nice if he had Marth's mechanic of the tip of the sword being more powerful, that would be nice.
May as well give Meta Knight Roy's center of blade is where the powerful hits come from since you basically have to do that anyway to do any damage whatsoever.

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
Honestly, I think that one tweak that would highly benefit him is the ability to SH fair laglessly. This would drastically increase his ability to both wall opponents and approach, the latter being his greatest flaw imo.

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
Honestly, I think that one tweak that would highly benefit him is the ability to SH fair laglessly. This would drastically increase his ability to both wall opponents and approach, the latter being his greatest flaw imo.
His moves are pretty punishable and are easy to attack first-headed, the lag and attack power makes sense, but lowering the range just doesn't fit right, he has low attack right now, why would sakurai lower his range if he already has poor attack power? a attack from sonic doing 4 attacks on Mario takes up around 30%, but for meta knight it takes 6 attacks to get to 30% by standard attacks.

Last edited:

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I'm laughing at people saying MK is good in this game. I've been playing him since the game came out and thought he was very good but as the metagame is advancing and people get used to him. It's clear metaknight is a very flawed character.
He suffer from low damage, poor knockback on most of his moves, laggy aerials and has no range on most of his attacks. I mean sure he has some good moves but they all get predictable to a good players and you end up with nothing really.
He cannot compete against top tier unless you're way better than your opponent.

Last edited:

W O N D E R

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wonderful102
3DS FC
1224-5125-5512
I'm laughing at people saying MK is good in this game. I've been playing him since the game came out and thought he was very good but as the metagame is advancing and people get used to him. It's clear metaknight is a very flawed character.
He suffer from low damage, poor knockback on most of his moves, laggy aerials and has no range on most of his attacks. I mean sure he has some good moves but they all get predictable to a good players and you end up with nothing really.
THIS GUY KNOWS WHATS UP

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Eh. At least you give reasons.

MK's damage isn't the best, sure, but he combos like a b*tch. He has followups from a lot of his moves at most percents. Racking up percent with MK isn't easy, but it's not all that hard either, to be honest. I'm not really seeing the poor knockback thing. It's not so bad that MK's moves are punishable on hit, like Samus' jab, and his kill moves kill fine. Could you elaborate? As for laggy moves, it's not a problem unless you're randomly whiffing attacks. I feel like both you and W O N D E R are trying to play MK hyper aggressively like in Brawl, but his playstyle is different now. He's just not rushdown anymore. It's important to play more passively and wait for openings. No range? His range is average. Besides, almost all his moves having disjointed hitboxes makes up for it somewhat. I wouldn't call his range bad. Lastly, your argument about predictability doesn't really make any sense. Every character has a gameplan, and ideally every player should learn each character's gameplan so they know how to play against them. Explain.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
We have to play Smash 4 Metaknight as a Grappler now. Constantly going for grab combos. Its a good thing he has good grabs and has a great pivot grab and dash grab. He is still great at edgeguarding. Remember, N-air has a long lasting hitbox which is important for an edge guard attack. So, just grapple and do enough damage til you can edge guard your opponent. Against characters with projectiles use Down+B to escape the projectile and then attack the opponents character in his whiffed lag with down+b. We just have to realize, Metaknight is horrible in the air now unlike before. Keeping grounded with MK is a better option except for when edgeguarding or going for an Up+B KO. Even then, he still feels limited because of the lack of safe options he has at least compared to the other characters I play as.

Code_

Smash Rookie
Idk, I think he's in a good spot right now. He's different than most characters in that he has an extremely offensive high risk, high reward play-style, and until people learn exactly how great of a reward they can get off of combos and punishes, there's gonna be a high risk to playing him. I think he's extremely fun to play, and can''t wait to learn more of his little tricks. :)

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Alright, time to clarify a few things here about MK

MK is not like Brawl MK and shouldn't be played as such (IMO at least). MK is still a solid character. It's just everyone gots to earn their wins with him now that he isn't a broken damn character. LOL. It's not like MK is useless, as he can still kill with a few of his moves (Fsmash punishes laggy/predictable moves while Up B kills them upwards).

Everyone also has to understand that the game is STILL DAMN NEW. Gamme's been out since late November (Oct 3rd if we're counting the 3DS). Everyone is still learning, disecting each and every single character and mechanic and trying to find something worthwhile. If ya like MK, then stick with him. If ya don't, then just play another main. No need to complain/downtalk a character.

He only needs range, basically nothing else, in SSBB the only thing that was WRONG with him was his tornado and glide, drill, no-lag, that was basically all, if we just get the range back, he would then be balanced considering ever single meta knight I see on spectate(replay channel) always lose, not to mention his attack, but seriously, his low attack is fine, we just need range.
Judging from this quote, your other comments, and the time you joined smashboards, I feel you have little information to what you're talking about as far as MK in Brawl. Let me put it clear to you: MK was a super OP character. All of his aerial moves (except Backair and probably fair) were near lagless (seriously, 3 short hop uairs. wut LOL). ALL of his sword swipes/attacks were transendent/had huge priority, and was rarely ever beaten. I mean, why even use the drill when you have spammable tornados with huge priority, quick Dsmash kills that gots knockback (and spammable), and Up B + glide attack that can't punish you? MK was nuts (and Up Bing out of shield was safe). Too. Broken.

MK's fine in smash 4. They took away his massive power, but he's still solid. Everyone feels it's an overnerf cause they miss his brokeness. He doesn't need a range buff, but I do feel he needs more 'clarity' in his sword attack range (just like how everyone else's moves gots more clarity and color to it. You shouldn't use 'For Glory' as your example, as there's a lot of scrubs/poor players in 'For Glory.'

I think this thread should be locked, as the topic at hand isn't going nowhere, and it's another one of those 'oh woe as me, MK is nerfed.' We don't need threads like these since they 1) can take it out in the Social thread. 2) does not help/promote ways on making MK better and stronger (yes, we should aknowledge his weakness, but it should not be the focus).

If it makes you feel better, Wonder, MK's been slightly buffed this 1.0.4 patch. incresed knockback and damage to Bair and Bthrow as well as more consistant damage on his fthrow. Not much, but it's enough.

Last edited:

daedgaem

Smash Cadet
Ayyy.

I believe you should stop trolling and stop using the old meta knight as an argument for the new one.

While I know that takes thought and logic, I have faith in you.

Ps: everyone here are discussing with 1.0.4 in mind.

fabulouspants

Smash Apprentice
MK is like top 20. he can't compete with the god tiers though. shiek/diddy/lucario/sonic etc completely outclass him. if you're fine with placing near the higher end of bracket use MK. if you actually want to win pick a real character.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Ayyy.

I believe you should stop trolling and stop using the old meta knight as an argument for the new one.

While I know that takes thought and logic, I have faith in you.

Ps: everyone here are discussing with 1.0.4 in mind.
They have it in mind, but some (or at least Wonder) seems to have little idea on the buffs MK got, as well as how MK was in Brawl

In either case, MK isn't a bad character in smash 4. can still combo fairly well, can edgeguard with dairs and nairs. Gots a good trump option (pop enemies off the ledge and bairs them). two kill options (both situational, but Up B's a bit more garanteed with a uair > UpB at 100+ percentage). Neutral game is adverage (not the best, but nowhere near as ass). Can be slightly rushed down, but is better if they play a more patient, punished game.

Seriously though, if ya feel MK doesn't work out for ya, then just play a different character. Whining about it isn't going to help things.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
MK is like top 20. he can't compete with the god tiers though. shiek/diddy/lucario/sonic etc completely outclass him. if you're fine with placing near the higher end of bracket use MK. if you actually want to win pick a real character.
There's no such thing as a god tier character right now. There isn't even a top/high tier character right now. Game's still fresh. People feel that Diddy kong is a problem. Come time, people will find ways to beat Diddy Kong and they will flock over to a different character. Shiek's been nerfed a bit this patch (but still gots good neutrals). Lucario and Sonic I'm unsure about, but like any chharacter, they can be figured out and dealt with once the person learns the matchup. A lot of characters in the game are balanced to a degree. some of them excels in one situation while others excel in another.

fabulouspants

Smash Apprentice
i dont care about the what ifs. i'm talking about this point in time MK cannot compete with characters such as diddy/sheik/rosa/sonic/lucario etc. doesnt have good tools in neutral. he has like 5 moves. dash attack, dthrow, uair, dair and up b. and they stop working once the opponent realizes how unsafe all of these are.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
i dont care about the what ifs. i'm talking about this point in time MK cannot compete with characters such as diddy/sheik/rosa/sonic/lucario etc. doesnt have good tools in neutral. he has like 5 moves. dash attack, dthrow, uair, dair and up b. and they stop working once the opponent realizes how unsafe all of these are.
I assume by Dthrow you mean running grab. He has the best dash attack in the game. Safe on shield when spaced correctly, multiple followups at most percents, relatively fast, and it's even a kill setup. Speed and range wise, he also has the best running grab in the game. idk what you're talking about with the last three. Not really stuff you should be approaching with...

Last edited:

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Yet you're here, polluting the threads with these negative talks and comments as opposed to just contributing ways on how people can improve the matchup. It makes little to no sense.

I said his neutrals are adverage. Dash attack works well if you're not constantly spamming it (otherwise, yes, they will catch on to what you're doing and shield grab you.) Dthrow builds damage. Uair, dair, and Up B are entirely situational. You can hit uairs when they're mid percentagge and are in thhe air. If they're high in the air and have high percentage, you have two options

Make them airdodge or make them whiff an aerial move

If they're nervously air dodging, you can punish for a kill with an Up B. If they throw out a move, you can punish them with either a Uair or Up B. Dair you can hit them when they're either on the ground or if they're off the ledgge. it's pretty situational.

Once again, if you're blantantly spamming moves in hopes they work, especially the unsafe moves, then of course they're going to punish you for it. =/

So far, I've been waiting for my opponent to approach, or looking for openings. I only go aggro when I have a sudden flow going, but I have to be careful not to get too carried away (otherwise I'd possibly lose the stage advantage).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom