• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Urgent news came up.
The man who has been giving his best to everyone in the community, @PolarPanda , has revealed the two candidates from that rumor of the Enix employee.
It might end up being one of them, both of them, or less likely, all goes to crap.
These are Sephiroth and Geno. Possibly the best outcome for everyone. Let's hope both get the thumbs up, as S-E has been extremely buddy-buddy with Nintendo (kinda reminds me they may try to go for that unrivaled relationship they had in the NES-SNES era)!
Also, considering Nomura's tweet about having a long week ahead, maybe the TGA theory may end up being true and we'll get the result already in a few days!!!
Keep on supporting my friends!
I will be fine with either of them, but **** I hope we actually do end up getting both of them even though it's very unlikely.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I mean, yeah. Sephiroth reserves the connotation of being not nearly as lauded as Geno in terms of being wanted as a SE rep for any smash game, Geno has been wanted since Brawl whereas Sephiroth has been wanted just recently, were it not for "the 7 names leak", I doubt he'd even be mentioned at all even in this current time(even then his fan following for this game is rather small)
I think we just have different definitions of underdog. Mine is how prevalent, iconic, and relevant a character is. Yours seems to be fanbase size and how closely a character is related to smash. Both valid definitions, I think.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In my opinion, the ''under dog'' phase refers more to the ''obscure heavily demanded'' character more so then the ''legendary iconic with little demand'' character.

Last edited:

Pristine

Smash Cadet
I think we just have different definitions of underdog. Mine is how prevalent, iconic, and relevant a character is. Yours seems to be fanbase size and how closely a character is related to smash. Both valid definitions, I think.
I can agree on this. In this case it just turns into this weird, inverse paradox where both characters are technically underdogs to each other but under a different context.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Urgent news came up.
The man who has been giving his best to everyone in the community, @PolarPanda , has revealed the two candidates from that rumor of the Enix employee.
It might end up being one of them, both of them, or less likely, all goes to crap.
These are Sephiroth and Geno. Possibly the best outcome for everyone. Let's hope both get the thumbs up, as S-E has been extremely buddy-buddy with Nintendo (kinda reminds me they may try to go for that unrivaled relationship they had in the NES-SNES era)!
Also, considering Nomura's tweet about having a long week ahead, maybe the TGA theory may end up being true and we'll get the result already in a few days!!!
Keep on supporting my friends!
I definitely hope the "every dlc character is gonna be a must-have" statement early released is true and it means shocking choices all together like that. I'm just trying to imagine it… Banjo Kazooie, Geno, Sephiroth, Lloyd Irving, and maybe a capcom/ubisoft character...

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
How do you guys feel about the Nomura tweet?
Do you think it points to TGA? Would it be Smash related?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
How do you guys feel about the Nomura tweet?
Do you think it points to TGA? Would it be Smash related?
You mean the art one? It's definitely hype for Smash as 7 days landed on the release date of Smash. But of course, there's also the timezone thing that makes TGA happening on the 7th for Japan actually… so who knows… It makes sense for what it is as in being hype for the game where his boi Cloud is in, anything extra that actually happens might not really be him hinting it considering how secretive SE is, he wouldn't be allowed to be dropping hints at all I think… so if Seph happens, I don't think he was hinting at it, hell who knows if he knows when would Seph be revealed to begin with, he probably only knows if he is coming at all if anything, but not when. And if it's an actual hint for seph weeeeeell… I guess that means SE trusts that not many people would suspect about seph if the majority of people in gaming comunity aren't even aware about the SE list of names, so it's hardly damage for them. For us fans, I rather not see too much beyond the meaning of his post (I absolutely love the art tho), but of course that doesn't stop me from being hopefull that something happens at TGA lol

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You mean the art one? It's definitely hype for Smash as 7 days landed on the release date of Smash. But of course, there's also the timezone thing that makes TGA happening on the 7th for Japan actually… so who knows… It makes sense for what it is as in being hype for the game where his boi Cloud is in, anything extra that actually happens might not really be him hinting it considering how secretive SE is, he wouldn't be allowed to be dropping hints at all I think… so if Seph happens, I don't think he was hinting at it, hell who knows if he knows when would Seph be revealed to begin with, he probably only knows if he is coming at all if anything, but not when. And if it's an actual hint for seph weeeeeell… I guess that means SE trusts that not many people would suspect about seph if the majority of people in gaming comunity aren't even aware about the SE list of names, so it's hardly damage for them. For us fans, I rather not see too much beyond the meaning of his post (I absolutely love the art tho), but of course that doesn't stop me from being hopefull that something happens at TGA lol
It's not the art that intrigued me. It's his statement.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's not the art that intrigued me. It's his statement.
Oh in that case mmm… I'm more hopefull for VII Remake news to be honest, considering they JUST rebranded that GBike twitter into "FFVIIR_Cloud"… He said they would be showing more VII R after KH3 releases but… I'm kinda hopeful TGA makes a small exception with a teaser at least lmao, specially since Sony will skip E3 next year… i'm crossing fingers for anything right now. lol

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Oh in that case mmm… I'm more hopefull for VII Remake news to be honest, considering they JUST rebranded that GBike twitter into "FFVIIR_Cloud"… He said they would be showing more VII R after KH3 releases but… I'm kinda hopeful TGA makes a small exception with a teaser at least lmao, specially since Sony will skip E3 next year… i'm crossing fingers for anything right now. lol
Not only E3, but there won't be a PSX this year either.
I also think it might be FFVIIR, but if that's the case, a Sephiroth DLC in Smash would make a ton of sense to be announced alongside it.

Also, a bonus, here's a video (or should I say music) to hype up the stuff for TGA.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Not only E3, but there won't be a PSX this year either.
I also think it might be FFVIIR, but if that's the case, a Sephiroth DLC in Smash would make a ton of sense to be announced alongside it.

Also, a bonus, here's a video (or should I say music) to hype up the stuff for TGA.
Both Seph in smash and a new trailer for VII remake would make me wet in such a way… lmao

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
One final music to hype up everything:
The final boss arrangement of S-E's greatest classic franchises, ending with the best rendition of a boss fight, literally, I've ever heard.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
One final music to hype up everything:
The final boss arrangement of S-E's greatest classic franchises, ending with the best rendition of a boss fight, literally, I've ever heard.

Wow thanks for this gem my guy, Dancing Mad and One Winged Angel in one song? Id be more than happy to get this as part of the DLC lmao.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not exactly gonna support the guy but I'd be down to seeing Sephiroth joining the roster. He more then enough earns a spot since he's one of the most iconic video villains alongside Bowser and Eggman. What more is there to say?

That and he'd be the first third party villain too for that matter.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Wow thanks for this gem my guy, Dancing Mad and One Winged Angel in one song? Id be more than happy to get this as part of the DLC lmao.
This is that series of concerts that one of Germany's most renowned orchestras created. It was such a success that it went on to be played in London and Tokyo.

Not exactly gonna support the guy but I'd be down to seeing Sephiroth joining the roster. He more then enough earns a spot since he's one of the most iconic video villains alongside Bowser and Eggman. What more is there to say?

That and he'd be the first third party villain too for that matter.
Hey, no need to be supportive per se, but you're welcome here to discuss and engage in conversations!
And recognition of the character like this is already great!

Sector_7th_Heaven

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Just been sorta lurking among the different SE threads after the leaked list came out a few days ago. I'm definitely at a point that I'm leaning towards it being Sephi, at least it would be the best timeline for me, considering we'd fill the holes that are FFVII's representation in Smash.

For fun, I wanted to ask, if you could choose some FFVII music to put in Sephiroth's DLC, which would you choose? (can be original or rearrangements)
For me, I'd choose...

J-E-N-O-V-A arrangement from FFVII Chips (chiptune, not a food product, very easy to get mixed up)
Bombing Mission arrangement from Dissidia Arcade & NT
Birth of a God arrangement also from FFVII Chips
Crazy Motorcycle Chase original
Highwind Takes to the Skies original, or this on also from FFVII Chips (sorry just really like the album, the percussion is well done on it)
and One-Winged Angel, but that was obvious lol

Other Worthwhile Mentions
Chocobos babyyyyyy
Hurry Faster Have the people not familiar with the game get used to this in Ultimate, bc they'll hear it a lot in the grind for Omnislash
Golden Saucer tiiiiiime
The arrangements of Those Who Fight, Those Who Fight Further, and J-E-N-O-V-A from Advent Children would be nice, just because Cloud already has his AC alt costume

ZelDan

Smash Master
Sephiroth wwas never really one of my most wanted's. mostly because I never even thought he had a chance before all the SE DLC shenanigans began. As a huge FFVII fan I wouldn't be against his inclusion though, especially if it means we get more than 2 damn songs in Smash Ultimate.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! Just been sorta lurking among the different SE threads after the leaked list came out a few days ago. I'm definitely at a point that I'm leaning towards it being Sephi, at least it would be the best timeline for me, considering we'd fill the holes that are FFVII's representation in Smash.

For fun, I wanted to ask, if you could choose some FFVII music to put in Sephiroth's DLC, which would you choose? (can be original or rearrangements)
For me, I'd choose...

J-E-N-O-V-A arrangement from FFVII Chips (chiptune, not a food product, very easy to get mixed up)
Highwind Takes to the Skies original, or this on also from FFVII Chips (sorry just really like the album, the percussion is well done on it)

Chocobos babyyyyyy
Hurry Faster Have the people not familiar with the game get used to this in Ultimate, bc they'll hear it a lot in the grind for Omnislash
Golden Saucer tiiiiiime
The arrangements of Those Who Fight, Those Who Fight Further, and J-E-N-O-V-A from Advent Children would be nice, just because Cloud already has his AC alt costume
That sounds about right as far as OSTs go tbh. As for OWA I'd be ok with Dissidias or with ACs version.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070316864310599681?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1070316864310599681&ref_url=https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion-age-of-dlc-speculation-begins-potential-spoilers.434391/page-8906

Nintendo has tweeted out TGA mentioning Smash as a side note for its launch being after the show.
My dudes, I think Smash is definitely on the show with its first DLC.
From my current info, I think it will be either Erdrick or Sephiroth shown at the event. It's time to sit back and hope for the best
I'd say that Geno is also a possibility, but having two Mario DLC representatives in a row will cause the series-representation-fugs to have seizures from sheer rage.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The event is guided towards non-Nintendo gamers.
Geno's appeal is much higher among Nintendo fans used to some of its specific aesthetics. It would blow up the Smash community, but the better part of the audience of the awards will be Sony, PC and Xbox gamers. And seeing the character there won't hype them up, because to them it's just a character they never heard of and is more of a Nintendo thing. However, anyone out there at least heard of Sephiroth or Dragon Quest as a series. From that logic alone we can rule out Geno from the show.
However, as of now, we have had Sakurai updating the game with no edits on any labelling in the game. As a man who is known for being very meticulous and deliberate, I think that Geno's inclusion as the top tier spirit is something to consider. Again, I would love to see him in the game, but I do believe the Spirits theory is real.
There has been more rumblings from sources of some people who I've contacted with along the way, from people in Gamefaqs, IGN forums and other people I don't want to disclose here, as well as some of the insiders in Smashboards. The S-E character seems to have been chosen months back already, most likely before E3, given that the companies involved with the game would have to take a few months to complete the legal procedures for any new content to be licensed. And of those rumblings, the fact that we hear 4 different characters from the same owner of their copyright seems to suggest a narrative: Nintendo may have approached S-E firstly for their DQ content. Other people reiterated what Vergeben said: Sora is a no-go, Slime has been heard only once and was probably just a preliminary pitch among the offers Nintendo had for the series, and Geno seems to not be part of any 100% verified leak. There are some things that make Geno likely, but the only info I feel that is set in stone is Vergeben's take on the list of characters and some people echoing it.
This part is speculation, but what I think might have happened is that Nintendo approached S-E for DQ. They wanted Erdrick, with Slime being an option to consider and Luminary being a name that may have been overheard for Erdrick himself (sorry for the spoilers). If things went downhill, a pitch for Crono might have been done to try the copyright holders out. But honestly, I my judgement may be clouded by bias, but I think that Nintendo's intention was to get Erdrick in and may have decided to go with FF again in case DQ ended in failure, given they already had approval before and have a good relationship with Nomura, Kitase and Uematsu.
To me, Erdrick is the most likely, but if you consider S-E is revitalizing its PR to direct itself for FFVII Remake, alongside the fact that the FF games are coming to Switch next year, that the Remake may run on the Switch with its engine and that the Remake will be the main focus of the company, the assumption that they might get a new character for that franchise might be attractive to them, considering the base content was already dry and they're urgently needing money. And, with Nomura's tweet saying "This week is going to be a long one! I must get back to work!" Might be something, even if it is small, that might give Sephiroth a possibility to be the one shown.

I don't want anyone to be overhyped, and some of what I said is basically info + logical assumptions to connect dots. So don't take this as fact nor as something that I wish to happen. It's what I concluded from the limited info I have. There is nothing confirmed yet, and we might not even get the S-E at the event. We might get another one of the characters I listed earlier as being candidates for the awards show.
To sum it up, it's probably going to be most likely Erdrick or, if we're lucky, Sephiroth, if the DLC shown is the S-E rep.

For me, I'd choose...

Chocobos babyyyyyy
Golden Saucer tiiiiiime
Great choices dude! ^^

Last edited:

Sector_7th_Heaven

Smash Rookie
To me, Erdrick is the most likely, but if you consider S-E is revitalizing its PR to direct itself for FFVII Remake, alongside the fact that the FF games are coming to Switch next year, that the Remake may run on the Switch with its engine and that the Remake will be the main focus of the company, the assumption that they might get a new character for that franchise might be attractive to them, considering the base content was already dry and they're urgently needing money. And, with Nomura's tweet saying "This week is going to be a long one! I must get back to work!" Might be something, even if it is small, that might give Sephiroth a possibility to be the one shown.
Definitely feeling like it's Sephi (no bias here lol) because he could help in the buildup for FFVII Remake, not that DQ isn't a possibility either. Anyways, even if the remake doesn't come to the Switch, it's still publicity to attract people to buy both Smash and FFVIIR. He could still help make money regardless. Bringing the kind of attention SE wants for near future profit numbers would make the investors happy is the way I see it.

Or we could get slime and have to hear how SE lost 33 million again

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
My friends, tonight we might have a result for S-E's character.
From what I gathered, there isn't any rumblings from Nintendo on Smash itself, but a third party might.
If FFVII Remake is shown (remember that the PSX trailer, the last video footage we ever saw of the game, had its 3-year birthday yesterday), we might be getting the one winged angel. But, there's a real possibility of him not being the chosen one.
Whether this is truly the case or not, if the S-E character is revealed, our race and time here will be up. And I just wanted to thank everyone here for all of the support, even if it was for just 3 silly little pages of discussion. But I think it was worth the time. I'm sure everyone will be happy either way with the result. It's hard for a S-E character of a high tier of relevance be a bad choice.
With this, I have this song here as a farewell if this is the last post (one of the only emotionally moving tracks from an otherwise dead film):

Thanks again for being such cool dudes!

Last edited:

Pristine

Smash Cadet
My friends, tonight we might have a result for S-E's character.
From what I gathered, there isn't any rumblings from Nintendo on Smash itself, but a third party might.
If FFVII Remake is shown (remember that the PSX trailer, the last video footage we ever saw of the game, had its 3-year birthday yesterday), we might be getting the one winged angel. But, there's a real possibility of him not being the chosen one.
Whether this is truly the case or not, if the S-E character is revealed, our race and time here will be up. And I just wanted to thank everyone here for all of the support, even if it was for just 3 silly little pages of discussion. But I think it was worth the time. I'm sure everyone will be happy either way with the result. It's hard for a S-E character of a high tier of relevance be a bad choice.
With this, I have this song here as a farewell if this is the last post (one of the only emotionally moving tracks from an otherwise dead film):

Thanks again for being such cool dudes!
Damn, when you put it like that I get real anxious lol. Here's to hoping it actually happens though.

D

Deleted member

Just came over from the Geno thread, good luck everyone

Pristine

Smash Cadet
I'm just about 100% certain by this point that Sephiroth will be the DLC. DQ couldn't win best genre (most likely due to politics according to many people) thus reducing their chances (assuming this was taken into account during choosing) and Geno fans are coming to the realization that he is (almost in fact), leakbait.

Last edited:

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Well, no Sephiroth but Reggie practically ruled out Geno by explicitly stating that all 5 DLC characters will be "one's that you won't anticipate", Sephiroth still bears this connotation seeing how his support thread is measly compared to literally every other SE rep, and he's still seen as "someone who won't make it in."

With this in mind, I sincerely hope we get another Konami rep, namely Jehuty from Zone of The Enders xd.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Honestly, anything is possible at this point.
The way he worded it made me feel a bit less secure with Sephiroth.
Crono is the one was least expecting from the list, so that could happen. Or..... Slime? HAHAHAHAHA
OMFG
At least Joker is hype as ****
Given how Cloud openned the doors for Nintendo and S-E to reestablish their relationship, I think Joker might bring the Persona games to Nintendo.
Sony will have nothing left, lmfao.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Honestly, anything is possible at this point.
The way he worded it made me feel a bit less secure with Sephiroth.
Crono is the one was least expecting from the list, so that could happen. Or..... Slime? HAHAHAHAHA
OMFG
At least Joker is hype as ****
Given how Cloud openned the doors for Nintendo and S-E to reestablish their relationship, I think Joker might bring the Persona games to Nintendo.
Sony will have nothing left, lmfao.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised for (and I'd welcome) a Blazblue rep. I'm still holding strong on him, assuming there even will be a Square DLC. Also correct me if I'm wrong but is Chrono from a dead franchise? (Not saying he can't make it in but I'm not mistaken, all smash DLC have been characters who's series are still going strong, or not dead yet.)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yes, Crono is from a dead and absolutely no foresseable chance of being revived in any way.
A bit sad, bc as time passes, I think this kind of reveal was the one Seph would have. Maybe he isn't the game after all.
Kinda surprised I got negative so quickly. ;_;

But I'm definitely happy for Joker in the game. This is a good sign for the franchise on a Nintendo system.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I mean, he said "entirely new characters"
I feel like they're not from series we have already in the game.
I wish I would see it the way you do my dude. :/

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Yes, Crono is from a dead and absolutely no foresseable chance of being revived in any way.
A bit sad, bc as time passes, I think this kind of reveal was the one Seph would have. Maybe he isn't the game after all.
Kinda surprised I got negative so quickly. ;_;

But I'm definitely happy for Joker in the game. This is a good sign for the franchise on a Nintendo system.
I honestly didn't pay attention to like, 80% of the VGAs, I had it in pop up view on my phone. Anyways, did we even get a FF7 trailer? If we didn't (for whatever reason) it would make sense to not show him at all. All I remember seeing was a FFXIV ad as far as FF goes.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You are correct. Only a FFXIV ad came up. Zero on FFVII Remake. The only hope we have left is a Nintendo Direct with the release date of the FF games. That direct might be the time to show Sephiroth. But that's the only way I see it.
But omfg, was the TGA absolutely atrocious to watch. Cringe left and right. I was sure of MP4 and got zero info on that as well.
Anyway, I'll go to sleep. 6H30 AM here, lost a lot of sleep. At least Joker made my night. But I'm going to sleep with the fear that Sephiroth might have lost a good chunk of his chances. All that is left is hoping for the best. Bc characters like Sora have now become legit contenders. Every leaker has taken a hit. And it's going to be way harder for Sephiroth to be DLC, afaik.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
You are correct. Only a FFXIV ad came up. Zero on FFVII Remake. The only hope we have left is a Nintendo Direct with the release date of the FF games. That direct might be the time to show Sephiroth. But that's the only way I see it.
But omfg, was the TGA absolutely atrocious to watch. Cringe left and right. I was sure of MP4 and got zero info on that as well.
Anyway, I'll go to sleep. 6H30 AM here, lost a lot of sleep. At least Joker made my night. But I'm going to sleep with the fear that Sephiroth might have lost a good chunk of his chances. All that is left is hoping for the best. Bc characters like Sora have now become legit contenders. Every leaker has taken a hit. And it's going to be way harder for Sephiroth to be DLC, afaik.
Sora's always been big in the smash community though, probably bigger than Isaac's fanbase imo. And let's not forget the legal conundrums from both SE and Disney. I'm fairly certain Reggie was referring to characters who were pretty much branded "not happening because nobody asked for him", rather than "he won't get in because of legal ramifications".

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Well, we'll see.
I really hope my negativity means nothing and I'm proven wrong. Oh, how I want to be wrong

Top Bottom