• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Chop Technique?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It can be done at ground level, and it can be done from a height.

So there is a spot in the vertical axis where it needs to be cut.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ha! I wasn't able to get it for a few minutes, took a lil break by reading the messages here, picked the game up again, planted the tree near the tip of the right edge of the left platform on battlefield and got it in one try. Okay, so, confirmed, can be done on platforms. I wish I had a good way to record this, but...sorry.
Edit: Did the same thing - got it quick! Positioning the tree there may be a good way to practice. Oh - and just to clarify, when I say jump up, I mean short hop. Short hop rising holding right axing in the middle of those leaves... thats the way to go.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ha! I wasn't able to get it for a few minutes, took a lil break by reading the messages here, picked the game up again, planted the tree near the tip of the right edge of the left platform on battlefield and got it in one try. Okay, so, confirmed, can be done on platforms. I wish I had a good way to record this, but...sorry.
No worries ;3

We can mentalize it.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Did you just short hopped next to the tree or did you angled your jump?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Did you just short hopped next to the tree or did you angled your jump?
Oh sorry Im getting back to ya 12 minutes later! But yeah, definitely angle! Try to gravitate towards that sweetspot, which I believe is here:
one chop trick sweetspot.png

That's what Ive been aiming for in training mode and I got it like, 5 or so more times. Sort of consistently a bit! I think with enough practice and muscle memory one could actually...use this technique! I think it's viable! I'm ganna take it to For Glory and try my luck.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Oh sorry Im getting back to ya 12 minutes later! But yeah, definitely angle! Try to gravitate towards that sweetspot, which I believe is here: View attachment 38221
That's what Ive been aiming for in training mode and I got it like, 5 or so more times. Sort of consistently a bit! I think with enough practice and muscle memory one could actually...use this technique! I think it's viable! I'm ganna take it to For Glory and try my luck.
But now the question remains:

Why can it be done a ground level as well? xP

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
This is one try I did but I didn't got it :( Should I go higher or lower?

P.S. I don't know how to upload images properly so I have no idea how this is going to look xD
IMG_1861.JPG

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This is one try I did but I didn't got it :( Should I go higher or lower?

P.S. I don't know how to upload images properly so I have no idea how this is going to look xDView attachment 38225
Around there looks right! Ya short hop into there, axing. And the timing is strange. Its...not immediate, but very close? Sorry, you just havta keep trying and feel it!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I dunno, I just tried doing it on the ground and it worked! So i can confirm that it is a thing at least.
Yeah, it definitely works on the ground, I'm just not sure why exactly it works on so many places.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, it definitely works on the ground, I'm just not sure why exactly it works on so many places.
It works everywhere! Its just about the tree. It miiight be intentional after all. But hey! I got it twice in for glory, so hopefully Ill be able to show yall how Ive been doing it at least.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Around there looks right! Ya short hop into there, axing. And the timing is strange. Its...not immediate, but very close? Sorry, you just havta keep trying and feel it!
lol Don't worry about it. I think I'm done for the night, I'm a bit frustrated that I ain't getting it and I think that's probably affecting me a little. I'll try again tommorrow.

I know right? Maybe it isn't the tree that has the sweetspot but the axe? I don't know but it's definitely strange.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
It works everywhere! Its just about the tree. It miiight be intentional after all. But hey! I got it twice in for glory, so hopefully Ill be able to show yall how Ive been doing it at least.
Well it does has a different chop animation (the tree) so I'm sure it was intentional. Things like this makes you wonder what other techniques we may be missing.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It can't be the axe, has to be the tree. The different stump suggests that.

I definitely need to make this more consistent, but I AM pretty good at doing it now, like 1/5 times

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well it does has a different chop animation (the tree) so I'm sure it was intentional. Things like this makes you wonder what other techniques we may be missing.
Sorry youre frustrated! Hopefully my pics and vids (when I figure out how to do that) can help! I noticed... and maybe Im crazy and my pausing techniques are just off, but when you hit the tree with the axe normally, ya get the usual attack effects, some gold some blue colors briefly shoot out, but when I landed the one chop, I paused to take a picture and noticed gold sparks! I'll post a picture soon, but that may add as proof to this being intentional?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sorry youre frustrated! Hopefully my pics and vids (when I figure out how to do that) can help! I noticed... and maybe Im crazy and my pausing techniques are just off, but when you hit the tree with the axe normally, ya get the usual attack effects, some gold some blue colors briefly shoot out, but when I landed the one chop, I paused to take a picture and noticed gold sparks! I'll post a picture soon, but that may add as proof to this being intentional?
I'm 90% sure its intentional

Otherwise the tree shouldn't have a different model.....right?

I'd definitely be interested in seeing this. Also thanks so much, Sonsa, for taking the time to take these pictures and give us a better idea of what we're dealing with =D

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Okay, here we go, I know how to do pictures, I'll try and figure out video. I can probably use my phone, but it can only send so many megabytes or whatever... Anyway!
A successful hit! Gold sparks, are they usual or specific to this? pretty!
HNI_0032.JPG

There it goes!
HNI_0033.JPG

A clearer shot of the stump and trunk.
HNI_0034.JPG

Last edited:

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
It can't be the axe, has to be the tree. The different stump suggests that.

I definitely need to make this more consistent, but I AM pretty good at doing it now, like 1/5 times
True. I need practice as well :(

It's not your fault xD Hopefully you can make videos to have more examples to follow. And I dunno about the pictures but if they are different then that'll confirme that the Instat Chop Trick was intentional!

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Dunno, I called it the Instant Chop on my video xD We can decide the name after we get it more times xD

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I mean it's like actually a one-chop o3o

But hey, the official Villager AT thread calls it that, not me

..oh wait o3o

lol

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Ah, yeah, nevermind, spark colors are irrelevant. My timing was just coincidental. The tree having that clean cut is still really suspicious though.
So they were the same color?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ah, yeah, nevermind, spark colors are irrelevant. My timing was just coincidental. The tree having that clean cut is still really suspicious though.

I wonder if riding the lloid into the tree, and immediately axing, would place you on the exact spot you need to one-chop...

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
One-Chop Trick sounds fine :) Okay guys, good night xD I'll come back tommorrow, hopefully with more information about the trick.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Nah, he pops you up too high.

Yup!

How bout the One-Chop Trick!
I mean it's definitely tricky to do. Lol

I love how this can be done by running into the tree, jumping into the tree, AND fast falling into the tree xD

See ya, Lyon~

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I mean it's definitely tricky to do. Lol

I love how this can be done by running into the tree, jumping into the tree, AND fast falling into the tree xD

See ya, Lyon~
It'll definitely be a powerful weapon once mastered, specially with all the ways it can be done. I can already see it: Launch someone to the sides, use Lloid Rocket to limit options from high while you plant the Tree and One-Chop it to limit option from the ledge *_* It'll be beautiful.

And yeah, night guys n_n

Tusca

Smash Rookie
Oh sorry Im getting back to ya 12 minutes later! But yeah, definitely angle! Try to gravitate towards that sweetspot, which I believe is here: View attachment 38221
Derek's video shows it is possible to One-Chop the tree without jumping, I think there's no actual height at which the tree has to be chopped to make the trick work.
Anyway, I did it a few times, this way: stay a little far from the tree, short hop, as soon as you reach max height of your hop, fastfall and move towards the tree, then use downb at the right time (which unfortunately I haven't figured out what time it is)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Derek's video shows it is possible to One-Chop the tree without jumping, I think there's no actual height at which the tree has to be chopped to make the trick work.
Anyway, I did it a few times, this way: stay a little far from the tree, short hop, as soon as you reach max height of your hop, fastfall and move towards the tree, then use downb at the right time (which unfortunately I haven't figured out what time it is)
thats the most complex method of doing it, but it does work XP

Tusca

Smash Rookie
thats the most complex method of doing it, but it does work XP
I can't get to do it any other way D: suggestions?
Anyway, talking about how to make it happen, I think the only thing that counts is how much near the tree you are

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I can't get to do it any other way D: suggestions?
Anyway, talking about how to make it happen, I think the only thing that counts is how much near the tree you are
I often just do this

Though I also dash back as I water, then dash forward (still watering) and bam, down special.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hm. So yeah, there's a few ways to do it, but I've only been able to do my way. I'll try and post a video or two of how I've done it in for glory.
Edit: Kay, here's my first use of it
And here's my second successful hit. Didn't land, but more videos, better chance at understanding this stuff.

Last edited:

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I think this is the method shown on the original video. There are a lot of ways to pull this off!

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I'm able to pull it off more often now so I think my muscle memory is getting used to the timing. I'm practicing grounded One-Chop Trick now to get the timing right.

Tusca

Smash Rookie
I think this is the method shown on the original video. There are a lot of ways to pull this off!
No, I think I haven't explained myself very well. Instead of full jumping near the tree and then fastfalling, I short hop, not very close to the tree, and then fastfall and move towards it

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I often just do this

Though I also dash back as I water, then dash forward (still watering) and bam, down special.
Wait a second. I just noticed something. To me it looks like he only chopped it normally, but as soon as Sonic hit it with his spin dash, it started falling as if it was chopped twice! Anyone else see it that way? Usually when I do the One-Chop, the tree is cut all the way through instantly, but it doesn't look like it happened that way in this video.

Top Bottom