• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Chop Technique?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I was able to get this to happen a few times while playing during a break at work while playing against a CPU and a couple of times in training mode. Still haven't been able to get it done while playing against a person yet.
Unbelievable timing/spacing required for this. I really hope someone with ample amounts of time and skill has a chance to tackle this one.
We know HOW to do it, the execution is just hard xD Ive done it a few tmes against people myself.

Sonsa

Smash Champion

There it is guys. The sweetspot.
Hm! That's weird... When I land this tech I hit it in the air, aiming for the center of all the leaves and the top of the trunk... This is such a weird technique... But this is just more evidence to show there must be something strange about the hilt of the axe...some kinda special hitbox?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hm! That's weird... When I land this tech I hit it in the air, aiming for the center of all the leaves and the top of the trunk... This is such a weird technique... But this is just more evidence to show there must be something strange about the hilt of the axe...some kinda special hitbox?
Well its my belief that its to do with the tree, due to the different trunk, but I could be wrong.

If it was with the axe, then we could deal 32% damage, theoretically, with one axe swing.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Well its my belief that its to do with the tree, due to the different trunk, but I could be wrong.

If it was with the axe, then we could deal 32% damage, theoretically, with one axe swing.
I might test that out again.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH

I did the one-chop nearly three times in a row by using a certain method!

I'm still testing said method. I think i'm on to something.

CreaminFreeman

Smash Rookie
I'm so glad we can get this thread moving again. I know we've talked it to death before but we're still not 100% about everything.
Here's the facts as I'm aware of them:
  • Seems to be about a vertical center line in the tree.
  • Can work at the bottom of the leaves (in the air) or at the base (on the ground).
Some things we still don't seem to know/might want to look further into:
  • Could it be about a spot on the axe and not actually about the vertical line on the tree?
  • Can you chop once on a side then do one chop tree from the other side (e.g. single chop on the left side then approach from the right to do a one chop tree fall where the tree then falls to the left)?
Feel free to correct me about anything I may have wrong or if I'm missing something.

@ AnchorTea AnchorTea : I'm looking forward to what you can come up with!

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
  • Can you chop once on a side then do one chop tree from the other side (e.g. single chop on the left side then approach from the right to do a one chop tree fall where the tree then falls to the left)?
I already did that multiple times, so yeah, you can one chop the tree from one side even if you already choped the tree once from the other side.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I already did that multiple times, so yeah, you can one chop the tree from one side even if you already choped the tree once from the other side.
Same, always used up both tries in training mode. So its kinda nice you have two tries to get this in battle, since we also know you don't havta perform the tech immediately. It still works when you grow a tree, do whatever, and come back to it later.

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
I've yet to have this happen to me. Been practicing it off and on since November/December with no luck. @ AnchorTea AnchorTea gave some good motivation so I went back to training mode for a while today. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm walking or running, jumping, or how far into the tree I'm pushing myself. Maybe it is the tree? I haven't noticed anything coming from watering the sapling differently. I tested the axe on Bowser to see if it registers as 2 hits while almost passing through him but all I got was 1. I am stumped.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I've yet to have this happen to me. Been practicing it off and on since November/December with no luck. @ AnchorTea AnchorTea gave some good motivation so I went back to training mode for a while today. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm walking or running, jumping, or how far into the tree I'm pushing myself. Maybe it is the tree? I haven't noticed anything coming from watering the sapling differently. I tested the axe on Bowser to see if it registers as 2 hits while almost passing through him but all I got was 1. I am stumped.
What really helped me personally was aiming here:
HNI_0032.JPG

Right in the middle of those leaves. That's a successful one-chop btw. It's not the only way to do it, but maybe it'll help ya! And yeah, watering can doesn't really have an effect. Good experimenting with the axe, but huh... this is a pretty strange technique. Other people at least understand how their character's advanced techs work haha! Anyway, good luck!

Last edited:

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
What really helped me personally was aiming here:
View attachment 41600
Right in the middle of those leaves. That's a successful one-chop btw. It's not the only way to do it, but maybe it'll help ya! And yeah, watering can doesn't really have an effect. Good experimenting with the axe, but huh... this is a pretty strange technique. Other people at least understand how their character's advanced techs work haha! Anyway, good luck!
Well you win! I was about to give up and then boom this happened:

In 1/4th speed I ran and jumped + axed the moment I was in the tree and it fell. The only thing I did different this time might have been my timing with hitting it earlier in the jump. I can't get it to happen again but I'm a believer.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well you win! I was about to give up and then boom this happened:
In 1/4th speed I ran and jumped + axed the moment I was in the tree and it fell. The only thing I did different this time might have been my timing with hitting it earlier in the jump. I can't get it to happen again but I'm a believer.
Congrats! Yeah, the timing is strange... at least for me aiming there, it's not immediate, but it's really close. I got it to work nearly 3 times in a row, twice in a row for sure though, but that was a while ago haha, havent pulled it off in a while. Havent gone for it much in my matches though, I should...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Congrats! Yeah, the timing is strange... at least for me aiming there, it's not immediate, but it's really close. I got it to work nearly 3 times in a row, twice in a row for sure though, but that was a while ago haha, havent pulled it off in a while. Havent gone for it much in my matches though, I should...
You should~ it can catch a lot of people off guard xD

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Alright guys. I think I nearly have it all figured out. Tommorow I will do one more analyses and do my new found method (that I mentioned) on a couple hundred more trees and then I might have the true conclusion to this technique.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Alright guys. I think I nearly have it all figured out. Tommorow I will do one more analyses and do my new found method (that I mentioned) on a couple hundred more trees and then I might have the true conclusion to this technique.
You just wanna leave us in a cliffhanger, huh?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
You just wanna leave us in a cliffhanger, huh?
*flash*
"Will AnchorTea figure out the truth behind the One-Chop? Or will he find disappointment?"

"Find out next time on the Villager AT TV show!!!"

*credits*

*commercial*

Last edited:

Conti

Smash Ace
This is an amazing thread, You guys are awesome. I can't wait tot see what @ AnchorTea AnchorTea comes up with. I'm going to do some testing with this right now aswell because im quite interested :D (My girlfriend mains villager, We <3 AC.) *hits the lab*

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Sorry that I didn't post yesterday. I accidently feel asleep. XD

Anyway, I am very sure that I have the answer to this one-chop tech. @ Darklink401 Darklink401 @zeezee @Indigo Jeans @ Sonsa Sonsa @ Toukans Toukans @Kohak @Player-1 @SoniCraft @Antonykun Hold yer butts, because this might be mind-blowing.

The Sweetspot

You might think that the sweetspot is the very center of the tree, or this tech is only based on chance. When the sweetspot is actually here:

After doing the tech successfully. You should be standing here:

I can confirm this by showing the next pictures.

I can also confirm that this tech is not a glitch. The evidence for this is the clean slice you can see from the trunk of the tree. Think about it. If it was a glitch, why would it have a new tree model?

The Method I Used
Here's what I did.

I went towards the tree with a fast-paced walk. (Not a run or a sprint) And then chopped it at an estimated spot of where the sweetspot is.

Why this method can work is because you can actually be at a pace where you can clearly see where you are chopping, and if you know where the sweetspot is. You can actually tell if you are too far, or too close if you miss the sweetspot.

I've literally successfully done the tech two times in a row with this method sometimes.

The Conclusion
*sigh* I hate to break it to you guys, but it is impossible to perform this tech consistently.

While the sweetspot looks obvious, and the method I described can make it easier to perform the tech...

The sweetspot is literally frame perfect. Which means you have to be at the perfect spot in order for the one-chop to work. And I do mean perfect.

Technically, this isn't impossible, but it is so precise that it's barely possible to do consistently.

I say that this tech should be used as a risk-taking move. I think the more clever Villager mains can figure out strategies around this tech being used as a risky move.

Well, that's the answer ladies and gentlemen. I like to thank the 2,594 trees that was used as test subjects.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sorry that I didn't post yesterday. I accidently feel asleep. XD

Anyway, I am very sure that I have the answer to this one-chop tech. @ Darklink401 Darklink401 @zeezee @Indigo Jeans @ Sonsa Sonsa @ Toukans Toukans @Kohak @Player-1 @SoniCraft Hold yer butts, because this might be mind-blowing.

The Sweetspot

You might think that the sweetspot is the very center of the tree, or this tech is only based on chance. When the sweetspot is actually here:

After doing the tech successfully. You should be standing here:

I can confirm this by showing the next pictures.

I can also confirm that this tech is not a glitch. The evidence for this is the clean slice you can see from the trunk of the tree. Think about it. If it was a glitch, why would it have a new tree model?

The Method I Used
Here's what I did.

I went towards the tree with a fast-paced walk. (Not a run or a sprint) And then chopped it at an estimated spot of where the sweetspot is.

Why this method can work is because you can actually be at a pace where you can clearly see where you are chopping, and if you know where the sweetspot is. You can actually tell if you are too far, or too close if you miss the sweetspot.

I've literally successfully done the tech two times in a row with this method sometimes.

The Conclusion
*sigh* I hate to break it to you guys, but it is impossible to perform this tech consistently.

While the sweetspot looks obvious, and the method I described can make it easier to perform the tech...

The sweetspot is literally frame perfect. Which means you have to be at the perfect spot in order for the one-chop to work. And I do mean perfect.

Technically, this isn't impossible, but it is so precise that it's barely possible to do consistently.

I say that this tech should be used as a risk-taking move. I think the more clever Villager mains can figure out strategies around this tech being used as a risky move.

Well, that's the answer ladies and gentlemen. I like to thank the 2,594 trees that was used as test subjects.
holy crap.

Adding a summarized version of that to the Villager AT thread later on.

I feel with enough practice, a top-level Villager could definitely do this tho, I mean think about it, there are a lot of one-frame techniques in other fighting games that are used consistently as well. The only difference is, if we miss it, we still only need to chop once more tho, so that's somethin~

Anyway, thank you for your contribution to the Villager metagame ;D

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
holy crap.

Adding a summarized version of that to the Villager AT thread later on.

I feel with enough practice, a top-level Villager could definitely do this tho, I mean think about it, there are a lot of one-frame techniques in other fighting games that are used consistently as well. The only difference is, if we miss it, we still only need to chop once more tho, so that's somethin~

Anyway, thank you for your contribution to the Villager metagame ;D
If your talking about "Well maybe like one or two times per battle." Maybe, but consistently? Never gonna happen.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If your talking about "Well maybe like one or two times per battle." Maybe, but consistently? Never gonna happen.
I mean consistently as in, when you want it to happen. (as in, the 1-2 times per battle you know it will come in handy)

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
other fighting games, it's usually about you vs your opponent, and no other interactions. am I correct? Sure you can compare hitting a tree in a certain spot to the act of hitting an opponent in a certain spot, but:

it's not the same as lining up on an object and timing it to the actions your opponent is taking.

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
The sweetspot is literally frame perfect.
I was thinking the same but I didn't want to throw that out there in case you found something different haha. Could this be consistent? I think so. Would it require an immense amount of rigorous training? Absolutely. You have to consider also that not all stages have the same camera view, like Duck Hunt for example, so trying to land this off of sight consistently is probably a poor choice unless you are a machine.

Anyways I'm glad you were able to confirm just how far into the tree you need to be so those that want to master this have some hard proof to go off of. That this isn't a necessarily a glitch and has nothing to do with the tree itself. And for showing us how much of a boss Villager can be by chopping a tree down with one swing of his bare hands.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I tried for a half hour and couldn't get it

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I tried for a half hour and couldn't get it
Try aiming here, might help.
one chop trick sweetspot.png

That's what I did and started getting it kinda often. Haven't been able to do it grounded.

I'm starting to think the trick has something to do with hitting the tree perfectly in the center of the tree so it registers as a hit on both sides, yknow? Cause you hit it from the left, a left slice appears, right, right slice, but if perfectly in the middle the game might not not how to react and just falls. But it always falls the other side of Villager...and the model of it perfectly chopped exists, though, so do other things like Palutena's guidance for hacked characters, so this model might be a just in case thing if the game doesnt know what to do... I dunno, this thing is weird. I just think you gatta be frame perfect and hit in the middle.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I'm not sure. I'd think if it's just hitting both sides, you'd get one chop on each.

Isn't the chopped side on a standard swing dependent on the direction you're facing, not the actual side you hit?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I'm not sure. I'd think if it's just hitting both sides, you'd get one chop on each.

Isn't the chopped side on a standard swing dependent on the direction you're facing, not the actual side you hit?
Yeah the game might register that instead so we wouldnt have a special model for the one-chop. Maybe this is intentional... As for your second point there, I'm not sure what youre asking. Um... well I dunno, I don't think you can give the tree a left chop if you're facing left yknow? Not sure if I understand.

Also, we've recently been getting a looot of users visiting and viewing the thread. What's up, did it get popular somehow?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
other fighting games, it's usually about you vs your opponent, and no other interactions. am I correct? Sure you can compare hitting a tree in a certain spot to the act of hitting an opponent in a certain spot, but:

it's not the same as lining up on an object and timing it to the actions your opponent is taking.
On a tree Id assume its easier, since its literally standing still. Doing it to where itd be USEFUL comes later tho haha.

Also I wonder if its the entire vertical middle, or just two specific spots, one grounded, one inthe air, that react this way.....

@ Sonsa Sonsa RIGHT? this thread is super popular all of a sudden xD

Sonsa

Smash Champion
On a tree Id assume its easier, since its literally standing still. Doing it to where itd be USEFUL comes later tho haha.

Also I wonder if its the entire vertical middle, or just two specific spots, one grounded, one inthe air, that react this way.....

@ Sonsa Sonsa RIGHT? this thread is super popular all of a sudden xD
I feel like it's must be the whole pixel-perfect middle. We've seen it work grounded, rising jump axe, falling jump axe... It also works on "Counter Timber" but I still cant get it on "Super Timber"... I dunno.

Yeah, what happened? More people researching it and understanding it is great, but just in case it isnt intentional Im worried it might get popular and patched...

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Yeah the game might register that instead so we wouldnt have a special model for the one-chop. Maybe this is intentional... As for your second point there, I'm not sure what youre asking. Um... well I dunno, I don't think you can give the tree a left chop if you're facing left yknow? Not sure if I understand.

Also, we've recently been getting a looot of users visiting and viewing the thread. What's up, did it get popular somehow?
Yea I think I'm wrong, because I don't think your position would ever give you a "single chop" cutdown if it worked like I suggested. It just feels like it if you ignore that, the way you can be almost through the tree and still get a hit in the direction you're facing.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yea I think I'm wrong, because I don't think your position would ever give you a "single chop" cutdown if it worked like I suggested. It just feels like it if you ignore that, the way you can be almost through the tree and still get a hit in the direction you're facing.
Ahh, yeah I think I get what your saying. But yeah, it just seems the axe hitbox is directly in front of Villager, so trying to hit behind you with it is kinda impossible I guess. You can b-reverse the axe though, some people have gotten the one-chop that way, but the effects are normal.

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
RIGHT? this thread is super popular all of a sudden xD
Yeah, what happened? More people researching it and understanding it is great, but just in case it isnt intentional Im worried it might get popular and patched...
Thanks Reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2y96lz/would_just_like_to_point_out_there_is_a_really/

If you look at the photo that Sonsa posted and compare it to the one that AnchorTea put up you can see the positioning is pretty much the same distance through the tree. And I know my photo is after the cut but I jumped almost right in front of the tree so that would put me hitting it in the lower middle. So it might be safe to assume that any height will work. Jumping might have worked better for some due to the momentum carrying them far enough into the tree before it spits you out onto the other side.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I was thinking the same but I didn't want to throw that out there in case you found something different haha. Could this be consistent? I think so. Would it require an immense amount of rigorous training? Absolutely. You have to consider also that not all stages have the same camera view, like Duck Hunt for example, so trying to land this off of sight consistently is probably a poor choice unless you are a machine.

Anyways I'm glad you were able to confirm just how far into the tree you need to be so those that want to master this have some hard proof to go off of. That this isn't a necessarily a glitch and has nothing to do with the tree itself. And for showing us how much of a boss Villager can be by chopping a tree down with one swing of his bare hands.
Thanks Reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2y96lz/would_just_like_to_point_out_there_is_a_really/

If you look at the photo that Sonsa posted and compare it to the one that AnchorTea put up you can see the positioning is pretty much the same distance through the tree. And I know my photo is after the cut but I jumped almost right in front of the tree so that would put me hitting it in the lower middle. So it might be safe to assume that any height will work. Jumping might have worked better for some due to the momentum carrying them far enough into the tree before it spits you out onto the other side.
I should've mentioned that the tree model is cylindrical...

Try aiming here, might help.
View attachment 41740
That's what I did and started getting it kinda often. Haven't been able to do it grounded.

I'm starting to think the trick has something to do with hitting the tree perfectly in the center of the tree so it registers as a hit on both sides, yknow? Cause you hit it from the left, a left slice appears, right, right slice, but if perfectly in the middle the game might not not how to react and just falls. But it always falls the other side of Villager...and the model of it perfectly chopped exists, though, so do other things like Palutena's guidance for hacked characters, so this model might be a just in case thing if the game doesnt know what to do... I dunno, this thing is weird. I just think you gatta be frame perfect and hit in the middle.
That kind of method is really risky, but it works amazing if you connect the one-chop.

The only issue with it is that it's hard to tell where you are due to the leaves.

PacMain92201

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure we can do this consistently. After a couple of minutes of chopping down trees, I managed to perform the one chop more than 5 times in a row by short hopping and hitting the center of the leaves (while slightly moving forward). And sometimes even after I grew the tree, I waited a little bit, short hop into axe and it still went down in one chop. I don't think there is a specific time frame in which it works. After that, I went online and performed a one chop edge guard for a KO (after a couple of attempts). Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it anymore. Also, I think we should back up after watering the sprout and move forward while swinging the axe to hit the center of the leaves. Even when I hit the "sweet spot" the tree didn't go down.
Side note: I think the one chop method also gives us a higher chance of obtaining the wood chip or a fruit. Whenever I pulled it off, I got a wood chip every time and a fruit once (which is pretty rare I think)

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm pretty sure we can do this consistently. After a couple of minutes of chopping down trees, I managed to perform the one chop more than 5 times in a row by short hopping and hitting the center of the leaves (while slightly moving forward). And sometimes even after I grew the tree, I waited a little bit, short hop into axe and it still went down in one chop. I don't think there is a specific time frame in which it works. After that, I went online and performed a one chop edge guard for a KO (after a couple of attempts). Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it anymore. Also, I think we should back up after watering the sprout and move forward while swinging the axe to hit the center of the leaves. Even when I hit the "sweet spot" the tree didn't go down.
Side note: I think the one chop method also gives us a higher chance of obtaining the wood chip or a fruit. Whenever I pulled it off, I got a wood chip every time and a fruit once (which is pretty rare I think)
I'm still waiting for my maxim tomato to fall from that tree.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
You most likely got lucky. It is actually quite hard to tell where you are when you chop in the leaves.

You also most likely didn't hit the sweetspot. Are you sure you chopped on the perfect frame? It is quite hard to tell when it only chops once. You where most likely off by a very little.

Last edited:
Top Bottom