• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Chop Technique?

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Correction, needs testing.
It hasn't been proven yet that you can't hit something with 2 hitboxes of the axe

Also, got any better ideas?
I mean my guess is it has something to do with the speed Villager is going at when he / she presses the Axe button.
We haven't been able to get it standing still for 5 seconds and cutting, but jumping, running, etc have all worked.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I mean my guess is it has something to do with the speed Villager is going at when he / she presses the Axe button.
We haven't been able to get it standing still for 5 seconds and cutting, but jumping, running, etc have all worked.
but those are all different speeds, arent they?

...or are they?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
but those are all different speeds, arent they?

...or are they?
I just thought of something!

It's basically confirmed that the axe has two hitboxes, and if both connect, it will equal 32% damage.

And then I remember that the one chop requires both hitboxes on the tree.

So I thought up a way that might help succesfully connect both, and that's dsmash. If the opponent is stuck in place, and is in the ground. You can position yourself to connect both hits!

Now, I haven't tested this out, but it seems so plausible that i'm pretty sure it works.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I just thought of something!

It's basically confirmed that the axe has two hitboxes, and if both connect, it will equal 32% damage.

And then I remember that the one chop requires both hitboxes on the tree.

So I thought up a way that might help succesfully connect both, and that's dsmash. If the opponent is stuck in place, and is in the ground. You can position yourself to connect both hits!

Now, I haven't tested this out, but it seems so plausible that i'm pretty sure it works.
It's actually not.

but if my theory IS correct, dsmash to axe would be SUPER broken.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Reverse hitbox?
That's one of my points. It can't be a reversed hitbox, and Sakurai wouldn't make one hitbox that wide, so it has to be two hitboxes. Besides, how does the one chop work with only one hitbox?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
That's one of my points. It can't be a reversed hitbox, and Sakurai wouldn't make one hitbox that wide, so it has to be two hitboxes. Besides, how does the one chop work with only one hitbox?
And see, that's the mystery o3o

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Or this could have nothing to do with two hitboxes at all, and we dont really have proof the Axe has two and it only works on tree.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Or this could have nothing to do with two hitboxes at all, and we dont really have proof the Axe has two and it only works on tree.
But where's the fun in that?

32%-Axe hype
20XAxe~

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I stand inncorect. The axe doesn't have two hitboxes.

I remembered how my opponent was sort of "inside" me when I used the axe. I was facing backwards, but the axe hitbox is that wide apparently.

Atleast I tried to help.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Definitly. You can tell by the sliced body of the tree.
Doesn't it always look like that?

Also more testing needs to be done to see if this can be done throughout the lifespan of the tree, but I see no reason why it shouldn't.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I was able to pull it off on FG! Has it been confirmed how to do it? I'm testing on Training Mode to know the exact timing since I was able to do it again.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I was able to pull it off on FG! Has it been confirmed how to do it? I'm testing on Training Mode to know the exact timing since I was able to do it again.
Just cut as close as you can to the tree.

Also the stump looks different if you cut it with only one cut....

Which is interesting

So it leads me to believe the tree has an intentional weak spot =P Sakurai, you sneaky *******.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Do you need 10 videos to learn something?

Cuz everyone who has commented "I can do it" or "I have done it" without posting a video, obviously didn't.

This is discussion at this point, to find out why it happens, and how to make it happen more consistently.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I have not been able to pull this off! I tried for maybe 10 or 15 minutes in training mode once without looking at videos but... It's a lot harder than I thought! Ya gatta be in the tree, right? It might help to get some more hitbox and frame data and stuff. And its gatta be immediate right? Ya cant grow the tree, run around, and then come back to chop it? The fact that the stump is different is super suspicious.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I have not been able to pull this off! I tried for maybe 10 or 15 minutes in training mode once without looking at videos but... It's a lot harder than I thought! Ya gatta be in the tree, right? It might help to get some more hitbox and frame data and stuff. And its gatta be immediate right? Ya cant grow the tree, run around, and then come back to chop it? The fact that the stump is different is super suspicious.
The fact the stump is different makes me believe that it WAS intentionally put into the game, a sort of 'weak spot' in the tree.

And yeah, it's hella hard.

You can run around and cut it, actually, tho its theoretically easier to do it just right then and there, dashing back while watering, then dashing forward and cutting.

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
Ya see?

Answer this lady's questions with accurate answers. Not "Duh, i think fla blah de blooh dee duh", no shut up. Get some factual answers with video and continue.

tho its theoretically easier to do blah blah here is me telling you how to perform this extremely difficult/impossible thing with my "theory". And it's right too because we've gone through three pages of kissing all over one another on how we've done this 1 time, 25/40 times (no video)... duuuur, here's me sprinting and doing it.
stop it. just.... **sigh**.. just play and get some better examples.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ya see?

Answer this lady's questions with accurate answers. Not "Duh, i think fla blah de blooh dee duh", no shut up. Get some factual answers with video and continue.
If you have a video with accurate data regarding this for us to see, please let us know.

The reason this discussion is going on, to find out the cause, is because it's still something no one can do consistently. And until someone fully understands how to do it, and when, then no video with actual data can be provided, past some examples of people doing it.

If someone without a full understanding for how this works, tries to make a video on how it works....

...I mean, that won't work.

You gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I don't hunderstand exactly how this works and I was only able to pull it off again one time. I'm still testing and checking the timing but whether I'll be able to discover it keeps unknown.

Here's a video just to prove that I was able to pull it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg6nYZKhgCs&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Sorry for the low quality, I uploaded this just in case someone wanted to see it so I didn't bothered converting it to HD :/

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I don't hunderstand exactly how this works and I was only able to pull it off again one time. I'm still testing and checking the timing but whether I'll be able to discover it keeps unknown.

Here's a video just to prove that I was able to pull it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg6nYZKhgCs&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Sorry for the low quality, I uploaded this just in case someone wanted to see it so I didn't bothered converting it to HD :/
Well this proves you can run around for a bit and then one-chop it later XD

Also yeah, you can definitely jump into it, tho I've never been able to do it like that.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Yeah, I was able to pull it off again when I tried on Training Mode the same way I did in the video but only one time.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
The fact the stump is different makes me believe that it WAS intentionally put into the game, a sort of 'weak spot' in the tree.

And yeah, it's hella hard.

You can run around and cut it, actually, tho its theoretically easier to do it just right then and there, dashing back while watering, then dashing forward and cutting.
Hm. Interesting. Not sure yet though, I'm still curious if it's the game confused with hitboxes and stuff. Oh so you can come back to it later! Alright, well more options is always better. Cause with the whole setup there, it could become predictable. Coming back to it and chopping it down with one hit would be a stronger surprise.
Ya see?
stop it. just.... **sigh**.. just play and get some better examples.
Ahh, you're being pretty aggressive...? Facts and stuff are cool, but till then theories are fine. I guess I just sorta assume someone's on it analyzing frames or something.
Huh! Now that's strange! Seems like you hit near the top of the tree!
the one chop.png

That's...! Really weird! When I tried in training mode, it seemed there was no hurtbox there in the leaves. I must've jumped to high, probably didn't input axe quick enough. Seems you have to be mid-jump to do it? Or no... haven't people done it by sort of falling into the tree? You definitely need to be mid-air. So something about the axe's midair hitbox is kinda weird, right? This is weird. In any case I love the name "Instant Chop Trick" that's what we should call it!
But hey! Also seems you don't have to be "inside" the tree!

Last edited:

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Huh! Now that's strange! Seems like you hit near the top of the tree!
That was my first thought! When I tried again on Training Mode and got it I was trying to hit the top so it needs to be something with that.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That was my first thought! When I tried again on Training Mode and got it I was trying to hit the top so it needs to be something with that.
Very strange. I'll be in training mode for a bit and edit this hopefully with news.

Edit: WOW!! Aimed for the center of the leaves and got it on my third try! That's insane! It definitely seems like right in the middle of those leaves, the tip of the tree trunk is a sweet spot!

Edit...again: Alright got it a second time after a few minutes... Both on left and right. Im practicing on battlefield and can only get it on the main platform so far. And when hitting the center of the leaves, the hit only seems to register as you're rising with a jump... when I fall and hit those leaves nothing happens at all to the tree... weird stuff. Like a frame of the axe starting up registers as a hit when you pass the tree's hurtbox? Cause falling, start of the axe is around the tip of the tree, and nothing registers. There needs to be some hitbox and hurtbox analysis, but yeah, this is sorta precise. I dunno if it's "pixel perfect" if I kept practicing I may be able to get this consistently, but the aim does need to be pretty precise.

Last edited:

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Good luck! If you do get it I recommend changing it to 1/2 (R Button) so you can know the timing more precise.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
That's awesome! I'll aim for that too, I'll post any updates.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That's awesome! I'll aim for that too, I'll post any updates.
If you can, try on some platforms! I'm sure it works, but I haven't been able to pull it off. If it actually is impossible that'd be so very strange.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I'm testing it on platforms but I haven't been able to get it :/ I don't think it's impossible though I'm probably just missing the sweetspot.

Top Bottom