• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
o....m...g...against all the odds i just beat Ally 2-0 on AIB in the playoffs:D just had to post my proudness:D(even though it was wifi...)

Dotcom

Smash Lord
o....m...g...against all the odds i just beat Ally 2-0 on AIB in the playoffs:D just had to post my proudness:D(even though it was wifi...)
So is there where we post how amazingly awesome you are, if so this is where i think i'll put that you are amazingly awesome sexy super hot cat.

Since there's no like real discussion with Jigglypuff, we should just move on to something a little more challenging.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
There isn't anything to discuss about Metaknight. Rising dair camp and then landing with tornado wrecks Olimar. That's about it. Hope your opponent doesn't do that or do it correctly and you can win. gg.

And good job Dabuz! Keep us updated. :D

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Great job dabuz, very well done ;) Make sure to tell every detail or ones that you valued the most ;)

Since there's no like real discussion with Jigglypuff, we should just move on to something a little more challenging.
wow good **** dabuz!

who should we discuss next?
Might I suggest someone like Sheik or Fox?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do you agree with me that this match-up is impossible to win unless you're opponent doesn't know what to do or fails to do the correct properly.
Pretty much.

About a week ago at a smashfest, some peeps began calling Olimar "cheap" and "overpowered" when I was destroying them. They (MK users) said the matchup was impossible and I was like... "Excuse me?!?" They laughed. I picked MK. They picked Olimar. It was a joke. He has no defense against rising dairs. I spammed them just above and to the side of Oli and then landed with tornado. Then all you have to do to edgeguard is attack after they whistle (8 vulnerability frames between consectuive whistles) or dair the pikmin in the upair if they come from below.= easiest gimp in the game.

Might I suggest someone like Sheik or Fox?
Sounds good.

Someone start talking. I'm busy. >_>

Zori

Smash Champion
have we talked about tl @_@ i have no problem with this match up but someone might

just throwing it out there

infractions..... yummmm

Excellence

Smash Champion
Dabuz, on Fox there is an easy 4X% combo you need to be pulling off every stock at 0%.

You can link DThrow together with every color (except White or Purple) until 20%, once Fox reaches 20% you need to stop DThrowing because he can escape. At the 20% you DThrow > Up Smash with any color Pikmin then throw Pikmin at him as he falls. It gives you a huge advantage per stock. After that, Fox is pretty much a cake walk because of how easy Olimar can stop his approach and hurl stuff at him without getting hurt. Sam likes using Shine > FAir to recover from the ledge, too. So think about that.

Fino

Smash Master
wow do we really still have this mentality?
LOL <33 zori

utilt >>>>>>>>>>> every move wario could possibly use on you while you're grounded. I've never actually tried utilting the clap... so idk about that. His bike can sometimes knock you out of utilt... but it's better to grab his bike.

Wario is def not advantaged here...

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wario's dair>our upsmash isn't the problem. You can get around that pretty easily. The problem is how well Wario can bait uptilts and punish them with anything. There isn't much Oli can do about short hopped dair approaches. He can simply short hop them out of range of an uptilt multiple times to see how you react. Then it's a matter of being unpredictable, mixing up between short hopped dair/fair approaches/jumping around the way he does, and forcing Oli to the edge of the stage. There, Oli's options are real limited.

With this in mind, I still feel the matchup is around even until some of the best of each character get a chance to play each other a lot- and see how those matches go. It seems like there's only one good Wario in each region.

And Zori, lol!

Excellence

Smash Champion
Wario one of the few characters who doesn't have too much trouble approaching Olimar from one of his vulnerable angles. Unlike most attacks that you can DI out of and prevent yourself from getting combo'd, Wario is going to hit you and take you for a ride once he does. There's no way you can camp a good Wario because he can easily remove all of the Pikmin and he knows it. Most of Wario's attacks go through all of our smashes so if you're trying to wall it's not going to work. Wario has one of the best recoveries and is going to survive your throws for a very long time because of it. And because Wario is not vulnerable from below it's a lot harder to land an Up Smash on him. Wario has such good aerial mobility that he can easily push you toward the edge then keep you there. Everyone keeps saying use Up Tilt but only a ****** is going to keep walking into that. Wario could just bait yourself Up Tilt and fall down with a chomp or something worse. I think the worst thing Wario can do to you in this match-up is hit you with a Waft and kill you at 70%.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
There's no way you can camp a good Wario because he can easily remove all of the Pikmin and he knows it. Most of Wario's attacks go through all of our smashes so if you're trying to wall it's not going to work. Wario has one of the best recoveries and is going to survive your throws for a very long time because of it. And because Wario is not vulnerable from below it's a lot harder to land an Up Smash on him. Wario has such good aerial mobility that he can easily push you toward the edge then keep you there. Everyone keeps saying use Up Tilt but only a ****** is going to keep walking into that. Wario could just bait yourself Up Tilt and fall down with a chomp or something worse. I think the worst thing Wario can do to you in this match-up is hit you with a Waft and kill you at 70%.
Let me point out a few flaws in that post or other available options for us:

You don't camp versus Wario, or not much due to the bike and his aerial assaults
You only use smashes if he misses a laggy move or if we dodge any of his smashes
Grabs/pivot grabs are some of the major keys of the battle(but they're situational)
Besides using nair, a retreating SH FF fair is another(less useful) option
His recovery isn't gonna help him live at high percents versus blue f/bthrow or purple upthrow
In order to damage us effectively, Wario is forced to approach us which is why we rely on utilt/nair to kill most of his approaches
WAC is essential in helping us live longer versus moves like Waft ;)

If any of this is wrong, please correct me...

Excellence

Smash Champion

You don't camp versus Wario, or not much due to the bike and his aerial assaults
You only use smashes if he misses a laggy move or if we dodge any of his smashes
Grabs/pivot grabs are some of the major keys of the battle
His recovery isn't gonna help him live at high percents versus blue f/bthrow or purple upthrow
In order to damage us effectively, Wario is forced to approach us which is why we rely on utilt to kill most of his approaches

I just want to know what was the point of your post? You're just saying a bunch of things like you're explaining the match-up. The nature of your post makes me think you're trying to correct me, but I didn't say anything about how the match-up should be played; only things that we can and cannot do.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768

Grabs/pivot grabs are some of the major keys of the battle
In order to damage us effectively, Wario is forced to approach us which is why we rely on utilt to kill most of his approaches

We need some wario mains here >_>
Wario bike isnt going to help to much, as we can just grab him right when he is riding it. But I dont see to many warios using the bike as an approach. Wario is always in the god **** air, you wont be grabbing him to much, but when you do combos wont be to hard to hard to nail on this whale. I really dont see us holding back a good amount of warios's approaches with up tilit. Did you all know wario forward smash has SA. YOu will be surprised how easy it is to spike wario on his recovery, well his bike that is. We really need some wario mains here

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can't grab us out of the bike if we do a wheelie, and it still hits you. You'll rarely grab us, Utilt can be SDId out of, your nair is more annoying imo b/c it's harder to bait and punish. All our aerials moves will beat your pikmin moves except up air, so you're severely limited once airborne. FAIR beats or clashes with everything, I'm not even kidding, and it's great for gimping. Our upair beats out your dair AND hits you every time if spaced correctly. Half Waft wrecks at low percents b/c of the trajectory it has, and if you even try to stay stationary we will bite you.

Your saving grace is is low percent combos and that you can kill us quick (around 120ish?) with a down/upsmash if we botch our spacing or do something laggy. And get it out of your head that you'll be gimping Wario. If MK can't do it, no one can, lol.

I still want to play Zori, but I've yet been prevented from two stocking the Oli's that I've played. The fact that you can rack up damage quicker and kill just as soon is what keeps it from being largely in Wario's favor. He still has advantage, though.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
I just want to know what was the point of your post? You're just saying a bunch of things like you're explaining the match-up. The nature of your post makes me think you're trying to correct me, but I didn't say anything about how the match-up should be played; only things that we can and cannot do.
I was merely adding to the list of things you've stated, what was the point of your previous post? Stating things that we already know isn't gonna change the match-up, unless you bring up something ground breaking, the match-up is still 50-50 or 45-55 at best.

We need some wario mains here >_>
Wario bike isn't going to help to much, as we can just grab him right when he is riding it. But I dont see to many warios using the bike as an approach. Wario is always in the god **** air, you wont be grabbing him to much, but when you do combos wont be to hard to hard to nail on this whale. I really dont see us holding back a good amount of warios's approaches with up tilt. Did you all know wario forward smash has SA. You will be surprised how easy it is to spike wario on his recovery, well his bike that is. We really need some wario mains here
Grabbing him from off his bike is okay, but one Wario I faced did I wheelie and I couldn't grab him off of it. That match made me more cautious of them, as if the aerial assault wasn't annoying enough(Wow, Phantom posted this before me O_o)

Since most Warios use an aerial approach, its only natural that we use something that out-prioritizes it(utilt or nair for example).

Yes, we all knew that his fsmash has SA ;)

Even though it may seem easy to spike Wario, I'm against it because Olimar needs to be extremely cautious versus Wario offstage because he could turn your gimping attempt on you or you could fail miserably and be put in a very uncomfortable position.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
You can't grab us out of the bike if we do a wheelie, and it still hits you. You'll rarely grab us, Utilt can be SDId out of, your nair is more annoying imo b/c it's harder to bait and punish. All our aerials moves will beat your pikmin moves except up air, so you're severely limited once airborne. FAIR beats or clashes with everything, I'm not even kidding, and it's great for gimping. Our upair beats out your dair AND hits you every time if spaced correctly. Half Waft wrecks at low percents b/c of the trajectory it has, and if you even try to stay stationary we will bite you.

Your saving grace is is low percent combos and that you can kill us quick (around 120ish?) with a down/upsmash if we botch our spacing or do something laggy. And get it out of your head that you'll be gimping Wario. If MK can't do it, no one can, lol.

I still want to play Zori, but I've yet been prevented from two stocking the Oli's that I've played. The fact that you can rack up damage quicker and kill just as soon is what keeps it from being largely in Wario's favor. He still has advantage, though.
This, not to mention Dtilt beats your grab, so wario can Dtilt and kill your grabbing pikmin before you can grab Wario. Utilt, and Nair are the things that are just plain annoying to work with as Wario, but Chomp will go through them. And once your off the stage, its a lost stock since we can just Fair camp you til you get below the stage, then edgehog.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Stating things that we already know isn't gonna change the match-up, unless you bring up something ground breaking, the match-up is still 50-50 or 45-55 at best
Something groundbreaking doesn't need to be brought up to change the numbers made in June lol...

Utilt is overrated in this I think. It's stationary, so it would be pretty easy for a wario to just bait it since he has such good aerial mobility. Like Phantom said, nair would probably be a better option. My lack of experience in the matchup prevents me from giving any kind of definitive number, but theory seems to point the matchup in wario's favor.

This, not to mention Dtilt beats your grab, so wario can Dtilt and kill your grabbing pikmin before you can grab Wario.
Kill the grabbing pikmin? I think you mean "oli doesn't have SA when grabbing, so wario's dtilt can interrupt it." :p

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
GW is one of the charas that grabs me the most, b/c shielding is so crucial against him. Oli really shouldn't get very many grabs off, as long as your autocancels are on, they have a very tiny frame to both space from you and try to grab before you get airborne again. If they try to sit in shield to shieldgrab, you just bite them.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
matchup from an olis view:

general tips:
+at 1:00 minute warios waft is half charged and will kill you at 1/4 distance of fd at about 80%, the middle at 100% or at ledge at 70%, use the timer to figure out how charged his waft is, and whenever he uses it take note of the time so you can keep track, remember, at 2:00 minutes of charge time is when it is maxed and wario starts glowing, it will kill you at 40-50% at edge, 65% at 1/4 of fd, and 75% in middle of fd(these are all without di)

+you will always want to di+sdi up if you are hit by this move and is probably wario's most effective kill move against oli, super armor easily beats this out if timed right, you can tell if wario is planning to use waft when he either tries to grab you alot and then jump to you and if he jumps to you, runs away in same jump, jumps to you, runs away again, ect. while trying to purely lure you out just hitting your pikmin, always use this to your advantage to lure out his waft and out space it with similar tactics

+warios kill moves for this match will be, in order: waft, fsmash which can be seen and punished easily but will most like be used as you try to recover(from edge or not) or as you land on the ground and will kill you around 100% in middle of fd or 80% near edge, can be super armored and punished like crazy, upair can kill you around 120% from main platform on fd is easily super armored and can be easily seen, i shouldn't have to explain how easy it is to see coming

+at low percents watch out for warios grabs because thney can set you up for nasty gimps with fair or bair wop, if you get caught in either try to whistle through then bair him or di up and towards him then dair/fastfall bair

+don't try to hit wario with your grabs or smashes unless you will hit 100% because if you miss a good wario will always punish you in a nasty way and your chances are smashing/grabbing a good wario are low but if you do get one use the momentum to your full advantage if he doesn't have a great waft oppurtunity

+spotdodge is useless, end of story, whistle should always be used over airdodge, always, sheild at low percents is uselss, it sets you up in horrible positions, rolling is your only decent defensive move in this match so use it occasionally to quickly get out of a bad spot, never ever roll behind or to wario unless he is in air and you need to get to the other side of stage badly

+ban rc and stage strike/ban bf, rc is obvious and bf is a great stage for wario do to his great offensive air pressure game, the best stages in this matchup are fd, luigi mansion, and yi, sv isn't bad but if you banned the two prior stages and need to use a stage strike use it on sv

+purple pikmin are the best in this matchup, they will stop a majority of aerials approaches and give you openings, learn to love them and try to have atleast 3 with you at all time

+wario's bike tires will be you aonly true good setups for kill moves because the hitstun from them will allow you many oppurtunities for a kill move

how to play the matchup:

first off, see what kind of wario you are facing by throwing a few pikmin at him, does he airdodge, attack, sheild, spotdodge, ect. because whatever he does the most will be what you punish the most

most likely wario will start with an aerial approach, don't try to approach wario, just try to pivot grab him and throw pikmin, make sure to throw a pikmin away here and there so you can try and pluck a purple whenever you have time,

for most of the match until wario is at killing percents you will be playing a game of throw pikmin, figure out away to get away from wario, rinse and repeat, if you are being pressured by wario and can't get away from hi you have three main options:

pivotgrab his aerials and hope you get a grab, if you expect him to jump high into the air then attack shorthop upair,

if you expect a shorthop attack either up-b him when he jumps or jump into him with a nair or fair and hope you get your attack off first,

or if you have purples throw them instead, the only aerial that will stop them is his dair

your jab and dtilt will be extremely helpful in this matchup, wario will beat you if he is face up to you if you smash or grab, if he is still aerial and close enough for the jab use it to try and knock him back and follow up with a grab, purple toss, shorthopped aerial, ect., if he is ground level and in the same position try to dtilt thenupsmash if low percents or if he is high enough to be sent into the air i would use an upair

you will have to jump and move alot in this matchup, the minute you start to stay in a small area and not move much is the minute you will lose

when wario is 120% is when you will be able to start and try to kill him, remember, if he auto cancels his aerials you will not be able to kill him with anything or hit him so your best bet is just to try to predict and punish or use bike tires, you have no reliable way to kill him in this match, i already told you about when he can kill you(starting at around 70-80%) so i won't repeat that

when you are offstage you should try to super armor any of his aerials and if you are hit di up because unless it is his clap(upair) his movess, kill, and nonkill ar mainly horizontal knockback

on the edge is the worst position for both of you in this matchup, wario can easily punish you if you jump off, roll, attack, fall down then upair through stage, ect. so just mix it up and try to super armor through any of his attacks

when wario is on the edge if you think he will shorthop off try to fair him right as he jumps or dair if you think he will just jump up but the dair is tricky to do, also it can be down if he hangs on the edge past super armor(im not sure if you can grab him on edge but if you can abuse it as he grabs the edge or stays on too long) if he jumps then and back up if you do this only once per set if even that you can jump and try to bair him when he is below stage for a surprise stagespike, don't do it more then once or you will be punished, you can also just try to keep grabbing him as he touches the ledge

tl:dr version(i know this is long): keep jumping and moving away from wario while throwing pikmin(purples especcially) and don't be predictable

overall i would say this matchup is 57:43 wario's advantage

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wow, and I thought matchup numbers couldn't get any weirder XD

Good writeup, I just disagree with the stages a bit. You want to go to BF/YI as your neutrals. Hiding under these platforms is one of your best ways to camp against Wario, and he can't dair your upsmashes if theirs a plat in the way. You can uptilt through plats so he can't hit you with a fallthrough upair, and they're the right side so you are protected from a lot of his approaches.

FD, while big, doesn't give you many places to hide. Luigi's is your best counterpick if it's legal where you are.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
tl:dr version(i know this is long): keep jumping and moving away from wario while throwing pikmin(purples especcially) and don't be predictable

While its true that this match-up is difficult, I don't believe that it should be this bad. This match-up isn't even half as difficult as Wolf's, IMO it should be 55:45.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I was merely adding to the list of things you've stated, what was the point of your previous post? Stating things that we already know isn't gonna change the match-up, unless you bring up something ground breaking, the match-up is still 50-50 or 45-55 at best.
Don't be ****ing childish and do not try to go back and forth with me because you will lose. I post to try and help other people out, if you don't understand, don't know what I'm talking about, I'm unclear, or you think I'm wrong then you need to say that respectfully and give me the same respect that I give all of you when addressing you.

The point of my post was to tell you and everyone else who reads it some of the things we cannot do in that match-up.

This, not to mention Dtilt beats your grab, so wario can Dtilt and kill your grabbing pikmin before you can grab Wario. Utilt, and Nair are the things that are just plain annoying to work with as Wario, but Chomp will go through them. And once your off the stage, its a lost stock since we can just Fair camp you til you get below the stage, then edgehog.
What? You play on the ground with Olimar and you'll get owned. You cannot kill Pikmin used for a grab, ever. I hope you're not talking about Olimar's FSmash because you can't tell then difference... shame on you, man.

matchup from an olis view:

general tips:
+at 1:00 minute warios waft is half charged and will kill you at 1/4 distance of fd at about 80%, the middle at 100% or at ledge at 70%, use the timer to figure out how charged his waft is, and whenever he uses it take note of the time so you can keep track, remember, at 2:00 minutes of charge time is when it is maxed and wario starts glowing, it will kill you at 40-50% at edge, 65% at 1/4 of fd, and 75% in middle of fd(these are all without di)

+you will always want to di+sdi up if you are hit by this move and is probably wario's most effective kill move against oli, super armor easily beats this out if timed right, you can tell if wario is planning to use waft when he either tries to grab you alot and then jump to you and if he jumps to you, runs away in same jump, jumps to you, runs away again, ect. while trying to purely lure you out just hitting your pikmin, always use this to your advantage to lure out his waft and out space it with similar tactics

+warios kill moves for this match will be, in order: waft, fsmash which can be seen and punished easily but will most like be used as you try to recover(from edge or not) or as you land on the ground and will kill you around 100% in middle of fd or 80% near edge, can be super armored and punished like crazy, upair can kill you around 120% from main platform on fd is easily super armored and can be easily seen, i shouldn't have to explain how easy it is to see coming

+at low percents watch out for warios grabs because thney can set you up for nasty gimps with fair or bair wop, if you get caught in either try to whistle through then bair him or di up and towards him then dair/fastfall bair

+don't try to hit wario with your grabs or smashes unless you will hit 100% because if you miss a good wario will always punish you in a nasty way and your chances are smashing/grabbing a good wario are low but if you do get one use the momentum to your full advantage if he doesn't have a great waft oppurtunity

+spotdodge is useless, end of story, whistle should always be used over airdodge, always, sheild at low percents is uselss, it sets you up in horrible positions, rolling is your only decent defensive move in this match so use it occasionally to quickly get out of a bad spot, never ever roll behind or to wario unless he is in air and you need to get to the other side of stage badly

+ban rc and stage strike/ban bf, rc is obvious and bf is a great stage for wario do to his great offensive air pressure game, the best stages in this matchup are fd, luigi mansion, and yi, sv isn't bad but if you banned the two prior stages and need to use a stage strike use it on sv

+purple pikmin are the best in this matchup, they will stop a majority of aerials approaches and give you openings, learn to love them and try to have atleast 3 with you at all time

+wario's bike tires will be you aonly true good setups for kill moves because the hitstun from them will allow you many oppurtunities for a kill move

how to play the matchup:

first off, see what kind of wario you are facing by throwing a few pikmin at him, does he airdodge, attack, sheild, spotdodge, ect. because whatever he does the most will be what you punish the most

most likely wario will start with an aerial approach, don't try to approach wario, just try to pivot grab him and throw pikmin, make sure to throw a pikmin away here and there so you can try and pluck a purple whenever you have time,

for most of the match until wario is at killing percents you will be playing a game of throw pikmin, figure out away to get away from wario, rinse and repeat, if you are being pressured by wario and can't get away from hi you have three main options:

pivotgrab his aerials and hope you get a grab, if you expect him to jump high into the air then attack shorthop upair,

if you expect a shorthop attack either up-b him when he jumps or jump into him with a nair or fair and hope you get your attack off first,

or if you have purples throw them instead, the only aerial that will stop them is his dair

your jab and dtilt will be extremely helpful in this matchup, wario will beat you if he is face up to you if you smash or grab, if he is still aerial and close enough for the jab use it to try and knock him back and follow up with a grab, purple toss, shorthopped aerial, ect., if he is ground level and in the same position try to dtilt thenupsmash if low percents or if he is high enough to be sent into the air i would use an upair

you will have to jump and move alot in this matchup, the minute you start to stay in a small area and not move much is the minute you will lose

when wario is 120% is when you will be able to start and try to kill him, remember, if he auto cancels his aerials you will not be able to kill him with anything or hit him so your best bet is just to try to predict and punish or use bike tires, you have no reliable way to kill him in this match, i already told you about when he can kill you(starting at around 70-80%) so i won't repeat that

when you are offstage you should try to super armor any of his aerials and if you are hit di up because unless it is his clap(upair) his movess, kill, and nonkill ar mainly horizontal knockback

on the edge is the worst position for both of you in this matchup, wario can easily punish you if you jump off, roll, attack, fall down then upair through stage, ect. so just mix it up and try to super armor through any of his attacks

when wario is on the edge if you think he will shorthop off try to fair him right as he jumps or dair if you think he will just jump up but the dair is tricky to do, also it can be down if he hangs on the edge past super armor(im not sure if you can grab him on edge but if you can abuse it as he grabs the edge or stays on too long) if he jumps then and back up if you do this only once per set if even that you can jump and try to bair him when he is below stage for a surprise stagespike, don't do it more then once or you will be punished, you can also just try to keep grabbing him as he touches the ledge

Good **** Dabuz, I can always count on what you say.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Don't be ****ing childish and do not try to go back and forth with me because you will lose. I post to try and help other people out, if you don't understand, don't know what I'm talking about, I'm unclear, or you think I'm wrong then you need to say that respectfully and give me the same respect that I give all of you when addressing you.

The point of my post was to tell you and everyone else who reads it some of the things we cannot do in that match-up.
Oh whatever do you mean Excellence? ;)

I understand that you mean well but most of the things you stated are in the intro making it kinda redundant. What do you think about what me and Phantom said earlier?

Excellence

Smash Champion
Oh whatever do you mean Excellence? ;)

I understand that you mean well but most of the things you stated are in the intro making it kinda redundant. What do you think about what me and Phantom said earlier?
I agree with PhantomX on the match-up. Olimar should have trouble with this match-up when playing good Wario players because of how easily Wario kills him, the large number of options (particularly Olimar's best options) that do not work on him, and how he directs the pace of the match make it really hard for Olimar to win. The "runaway, throw stuff then kill him when I get the chance" is usually the attitude we get in all of our bad match-ups and I get the same attitude here.

I think we're seeing eye to eye on the match-up for the most part. When you said that we couldn't camp, I get the idea that you believed I planned on sitting in one spot and throwing Pikmin, but that's not it at all. You have to move a lot in this match-up to continually reset Olimar's and Wario's positions to keep him from nailing you down then finish you off with FSmash or Waft.

The only thing I want to disagree with is the Bike because I love when Wario pulls out his Bike because it gives me things to refresh my moves with as well as set up KOs with. I know Dabuz said it already, but it really does help. Who says that just because Olimar's glide toss socks doesn't mean you can't use it? Ever little bit of space helps, in my opinion. It's also free damage if you smack him off or get your free grab. I perfer to hit Wario with an aerial off his Bike because I've had Wario players bait a grab by using the bike then fast fall punishment on me.

You're right about the smash attacks. Our Smashes won't hit Wario because he'll keep moving or just out prioritize them with one of his own attacks. I perfer to use Grabs to punish at low percentages, grabs to punish and reposition Wario at mid percentages, and smashes to kill or send Wario off stage at high percentages. As far as Grabs alone go, they're not really that important. They're really just "don't mess up or you're going to get ****ed" kind of things in this match. I tend to only Pivot Grab when Wario looks like he messed up his spacing, lands incorrectly, KO, or if I want to remind him that he can't mess up because I'm still watching. Otherwise, I continue running away and hitting him with Pikmin.

I think everyone else uses this too, but I think I'm one of the biggest spammers of NAir of all. I think the move is highly underrated because it's such a good move if you can predict an opponent. If you know how your opponent is going to approach, why not hit them first with NAir? It lasts incredibly long and can be combo'd into kill moves or GTFO moves. It can also be used to force an opponent to approach you in certain ways which can set them up to get grabbed. Overall, I think it's something people should use more. Since it's not station on the ground, I also think its a better choice than U-Tilt.

Wario's recovery is good and he knows it. You can't gimp him, which I don't think many Olimar's try to and I'd hope they wouldn't, but if he goes off screen he's not going to die. Some characters like: Mario, Falco, Fox, Wolf, and Marth will not be able to come back from being tossed off the screen by one of Olimar's grabs. That being said, you don't have to toss them through the blast zone to be able to kill them but with Wario you do. To make matters worse, Wario has a really good DI and can cancel his horizontal momentum using his Bike.

Killing his approaches? I disagree with that. But if you said try to slow him down or sstop his approaches I can agree with.

WAC is essential to surviving in this match-up. Learn to time it or just spam it, but you need it.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Some characters like: Mario, Falco, Fox, Wolf, and Marth will not be able to come back from being tossed off the screen by one of Olimar's grabs.
Just saying, if someone gets hit off screen and they have decent di, any character can get back to the stage (not counting edgeguards and such). This be brawl, not melee :p

Also, you seem to be comparing olis a lot. Where is this coming from? I'm not sure I've ever seen a video of a good oli vs a good wario.

Oh, and dabuz said something about stage cps in his little wall of text. Isn't brinstar sposed to be really good for wario? That along with aerial characters beating oli on that stage would probably get it a ban. RC would be a good stage to ban as well, I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom