• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Okay, fine. I'll get Fire Emblem, jeez" thread.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wait are you serious? You're talking about Donnel right? I immediately made an account after I saw this comment haha!

I always did Donnels side quest for completion's sake, I never thought he could be useful so i just left him to rot in the barracks, does he really have potentional? If so how do I unlock it?
You use him in battle and level him up. He has a special skill that gives him insane growth rates, he starts out with it. Once you get him to level 10 and class change him to a Mercenary or Fighter he will definitely be a best.

Hong

The Strongest
I always did Donnels side quest for completion's sake, I never thought he could be useful so i just left him to rot in the barracks, does he really have potentional? If so how do I unlock it?
Get him to level 10, use a Second Seal, and behold the magic.

He has the best growth of a first gen in the game, once he gets started, he remains strong.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Wait are you serious? You're talking about Donnel right? I immediately made an account after I saw this comment haha!

Just train him up.

His stat growths are amazing due to his Aptitude skill.

CharleeAlex

Smash Rookie
Just train him up.

His stat growths are amazing due to his Aptitude skill.
Get him to level 10, use a Second Seal, and behold the magic.

He has the best growth of a first gen in the game, once he gets started, he remains strong.
You use him in battle and level him up. He has a special skill that gives him insane growth rates, he starts out with it. Once you get him to level 10 and class change him to a Mercenary or Fighter he will definitely be a best.
Wow, I never thought he's have potential haha!, I'll use him right away.

Hong

The Strongest
I advise the Mercenary route.
Never played Fire Emblem. Is it any good? I was debating getting the Gamecube one.
The Gamecube version is the best entry in the series IMO, but you can also get Awakening because it's much more convenient and more likely to appeal to first-timers.

I'd say it's a great series. Really engages the mind, has a decent story for today's standards, and you always get lots of value with each game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's a common thing in Fire Emblem games; having a unit that starts out as incredibly weak and appears to have little potential, but when trained up can become an incredibly powerful force on the battlefield.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I advice the Mercenary route.
Mercenary is good and all but I feel like going Fighter is better simply for weapon variety in the beginning. I mean let's really look at it, Chrom is swords, Robin has swords and tomes, Sully and Stahl have sworda and lance, Viriom is bows, Miriel is tomes, Ricken is tomes, Sumia is lances Kellam is lances.

Only Vaike and Feddy can use axes. And even after that Libra and Cherche, I'm not counting Basilo, Flavia, and the spotpass characters due to how late they come in, that's only 4 default axe users compared to 11 default sword users and 6 default lance users (not counting Donnel).

Axe users always seem to get the short end of the stick a lot in fire Emblem lol.

I still make him a Mercanary most of the time though because swords are cool. But whatever class you make him, he's not gonna be bad either way.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Mercenary is good and all but I feel like going Fighter is better simply for weapon variety in the beginning. I mean let's really look at it, Chrom is swords, Robin has swords and tomes, Sully and Stahl have sworda and lance, Viriom is bows, Miriel is tomes, Ricken is tomes, Sumia is lances Kellam is lances.

Only Vaike and Feddy can use axes. And even after that Libra and Cherche, I'm not counting Basilo, Flavia, and the spotpass characters due to how late they come in, that's only 4 default axe users compared to 11 default sword users and 6 default lance users (not counting Donnel).

Axe users always seem to get the short end of the stick a lot in fire Emblem lol.

I still make him a Mercanary most of the time though because swords are cool. But whatever class you make him, he's not gonna be bad either way.
Says the non-Armsthrift-loving heretic. >:/

For what it's worth, Chrom is only the sword-user I actually use besides Donnel for a while, anyway. I'm used to not using axes at all in a lot of Fire Emblem games, barring wyvern riders. Not that I don't know how to use Fighters; I just don't like them.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Says the non-Armsthrift-loving heretic. >:/

For what it's worth, Chrom is only the sword-user I actually use besides Donnel for a while, anyway. I'm used to not using axes at all in a lot of Fire Emblem games, barring wyvern riders. Not that I don't know how to use Fighters; I just don't like them.
Feels like the stigma I had from using axe users in general thanks to that first battle in FE7 with Lyn...As a kid I was like "Axes = bad guys right?" So I used the more "heroic" stuff like lances, swords...tomes. lol

Armsthrift is great, very useful for extending the use of powerful weapons that do break. Though tbh I think it boggles the mind that MU of all characters in Fire emblem awakening did not get an unbreakable weapon like the lords. I mean come on! Just gimme a tome or sword or something! I suppose it is for the better because it means I can just spam Aversa's Night but I like it where the major characters of the story have a unique item to them that cannot break. I've liked it since Ragnell in PoR since it always sucked to me that legendary weapons could break in previous games.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

He has Aptitude, which increases his growth rates by 20%, which is huge for stat gains. He also can become a Mercenary, which gives him access to Armsthrift and Sol.

The Villager class sucks, but since it gets Aptitude, and he can reclass, that more than makes up for it. Mercenary to Hero, never look back (forged Tomahawks FTW). He also makes a darn spiffy Dread Fighter.

Last edited:

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
A bunch my friends who were smash fans got interested in Robin after seeing his moveset in the trailer. They were shocked and surprised when I told them Robin is the customizable avatar character the player assumes in Awakening. Two them even went and bought the game.

Nearly all of my friends are exclusive WRPG gamers mainly because they've been spoiled by games Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls, etc. that allow them create and roleplay their characters rather than being forced to play as a predetermined main character in a JRPG usually with a predetermined class and skills. The only JRPG they played in the last 3 years was Dark Souls that didn't even feel like a JRPG to them even though the game was developed by From Software a Japanese developer.

It was really surprising for them to see that "Character Creation" was now a feature in Fire Emblem.
That's because Dark Souls is not a JRPG to begin with, its a WRPG through and through, it may be designed in the east but the design of the game is clearly geared towards WRPGs, location has little to do with the design of a game. I would go so far to say that the Upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles X could be considered a WRPG closer to Balder's Gate in terms of Open World design, just because the character you play is essentially a totally customizable blank Slate.

I advice the Mercenary route.The Gamecube version is the best entry in the series IMO, but you can also get Awakening because it's much more convenient and more likely to appeal to first-timers.

I'd say it's a great series. Really engages the mind, has a decent story for today's standards, and you always get lots of value with each game.
Well, to me Awakening Story wasn't that good a cluster of JRPG tropes (though they do have the nice side plot for DLC and they have an explanation for almost everything), but the characters personalities and how the support system was handled were phenomenal and the Story merely held a template to focus on these relationships (which only makes the DLC side plot all the more depressing, when you see all the conversations including the bosses)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
Well, to me Awakening Story wasn't that good a cluster of JRPG tropes (though they do have the nice side plot for DLC and they have an explanation for almost everything), but the characters personalities and how the support system was handled were phenomenal and the Story merely held a template to focus on these relationships (which only makes the DLC side plot all the more depressing, when you see all the conversations including the bosses)
I agree, I don't think Awakening's story is that good, but still a strong offering compared to a lot of what is on the market currently. If you want good story, Tellius saga is the best place to go IMO.

Also, try not to double post. I fixed it this time, but in the future, you are advised to use the edit feature. Thanks. :)

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
That's because Dark Souls is not a JRPG to begin with, its a WRPG through and through, it may be designed in the east but the design of the game is clearly geared towards WRPGs, location has little to do with the design of a game. I would go so far to say that the Upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles X could be considered a WRPG closer to Balder's Gate in terms of Open World design, just because the character you play is essentially a totally customizable blank Slate.
Honestly, if its made in Japan and its an RPG then its a JRPG in my book, keeps things simple; I don't think something prolific in video gaming as a whole like a player created character can be "owned" by the West. Going by your logic, every JRPG would be a WRPG due to the impact games like Ultima and Wizardry had in establishing the RPG genre in videogames.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Honestly, if its made in Japan and its an RPG then its a JRPG in my book, keeps things simple; I don't think something prolific in video gaming as a whole like a player created character can be "owned" by the West. Going by your logic, every JRPG would be a WRPG due to the impact games like Ultima and Wizardry had in establishing the RPG genre in videogames.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EasternRPG
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WesternRPG

Being made in said place usually helps, but when people talk about JRPGS and WRPGS they are generally referring to how the games play and certain elements the games have. As explained in the TV Tropes links.

Hong

The Strongest
I get what people mean by WRPG/CRPG/JRPG.

You can't really take it at literal face value, and instead look at the general themes. Etrian Odyssey, for example, has Japanese art style, but it no doubt plays like a CRPG or WRPG. This is from the developers themselves. Similarly, Child of Light is a western game, but they specifically made it like a JRPG.

Don't need to mess with harmless semantics needlessly IMO. Suppose you could argue to have them changed, but save people the grief when it comes to communication.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was pretty much the same way until I bought Fire Emblem: Awakening, which was over a year ago. Decided to give it a try and then I was "holy **** this is so amazing!" The story, the anime-style cutscenes, the characters and most of all, the soundtrack literally blew my mind away. It is definitely my favorite 3DS game right now. So addicting too. lol

I wish I played the other games in the series too though.

Last edited:

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
I got Awakening the day it came out in the UK along with a new 3DS, I even got that art book with it. I ended up not playing it after a week, just due to me being me. I picked it up again later in the year and got pretty deep into grinding, ended up dropping it again.
I decided last week to start a new game on Hard because of Robin and really enjoyed it so far, so I may actually complete it this time if I hadn't put all of the Ace Attorney games on my phone like a fool.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I got Awakening the day it came out in the UK along with a new 3DS, I even got that art book with it. I ended up not playing it after a week, just due to me being me. I picked it up again later in the year and got pretty deep into grinding, ended up dropping it again.
I decided last week to start a new game on Hard because of Robin and really enjoyed it so far, so I may actually complete it this time if I hadn't put all of the Ace Attorney games on my phone like a fool.
You gotta watch out for those ace attorney games. They suck away a good week apeice. Then you finish them and put them down for six months until picking them up again.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
As of now the only Fire Emblem I played was the one with Lyn on the GBA way back then which I still haven't finished but I'll get back to it eventually cause I have a lot more experience with tactical RPGs these days thanks to Namco X Capcom and Project X Zone.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Thread update:

Okay, yeah. This game is pretty ****ing awesome. JRPGs aren't usually my thing, but this one feels... different, somehow.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Thread update:

Okay, yeah. This game is pretty ****ing awesome. JRPGs aren't usually my thing, but this one feels... different, somehow.
It's all the awesome added in.

Actually, I think it's the balance of RPG elements. With a cast as large as these games have, they have to work harder to make the characters stand out, especially since each character doesn't get a ton of lines (seriously, compare lines of dialogue with any other JRPG). The setup ensures that you have enough to relate to the characters and like them, but still leave enough fluidity that you can fill out their personalities and characters with your own visions. It's a nice blend that has you building up the world yourself, rather than shoving it all down your throat, which many other JRPGs (especially the non-tactical ones) can tend to do.

WhyteMage

Smash Rookie
Same. Saw the trailer, thought Lucina was cute, then she got humiliated by Falcon and then, elwind. Nintendo's presentation of Robin in that trailer was incredible, with the floating, the tome effervescing with magical energy and the intermittant 'Ksksh' of the Levin Sword crackling with lightning made me fall in love with him immediately. I just caved in and went out to buy Awakening almost the next day I was so pumped. And then playing through the game three times and realising that Robin could literally do whatever he wanted in terms of skills/weapons/classes sold me. If I could find say, Path of Radiance or Blazing Sword anywhere I'd get them.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember not feeling too enthusiastic on trying FE out some years ago (because SRPG sounded too difficult genre to hop in) - but then I went off to get myself FE7, and I was instantly hooked. Lyn's story is PERFECT for first-timers on FE (in fact, I'd say the game was crafted just for that along with localization), learning mechanics and rules of the series before setting of with Eliwood 's story. The departure with all three lords made me weep. Also I found Smash failing to represent FE well so far... until now.

Also Florina is totally my waifu. Shrinking violet of doom and death.

If any of you has an access, try FE4 someday. (Genealogy of Holy War). It's really solid and Awakening takes some elements (like marriage and 2nd generation kids inheritance) from that game. It is bit beefy, but the atmosphere is IMO FE in its best essence. So medieval.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I remember not feeling too enthusiastic on trying FE out some years ago (because SRPG sounded too difficult genre to hop in) - but then I went off to get myself FE7, and I was instantly hooked. Lyn's story is PERFECT for first-timers on FE (in fact, I'd say the game was crafted just for that along with localization), learning mechanics and rules of the series before setting of with Eliwood 's story. The departure with all three lords made me weep. Also I found Smash failing to represent FE well so far... until now.
Lyn's story also heavily features Lady Lyndis, one of the best characters in gaming.

Also Florina is totally my waifu. Shrinking violet of doom and death.
What of Olivia?

If any of you has an access, try FE4 someday. (Genealogy of Holy War). It's really solid and Awakening takes some elements (like marriage and 2nd generation kids inheritance) from that game. It is bit beefy, but the atmosphere is just
I cannot play an RPG in a language I don't understand.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lyn's story also heavily features Lady Lyndis, one of the best characters in gaming.
She's so powerful and such a precious sweetie. Agreed.

What of Olivia?
She's amusing and adorable,with that shyness- but I already have Florina.

I cannot play an RPG in a language I don't understand.
There's an English fan translation for the game to a rom. Should have mentioned...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
He's quite possibly the best potential father in the game because of the Aptitude skill. Plus he passes down to female children the pegasus knight class making him a great choice for Kjelle, Nah or Noire if you want them to have Galeforce. Aptitude + Galeforce + Lifetaker or something from the mother = fantastic child unit in my experience.

Or, hell, even for the males. I had a Donnel!Inigo once and that dude was a wrecking ball. Paired him with Robin!Lucina and I pretty much didn't need any other units. The mMorgan/Severa combo was just icing on the cake lol

Biff

Smash Rookie
I've played as marth since melee but I thought all Fire Emblem games were japan exclusive. Didn't know they were localized until after the Robin trailer.
Just finished Awakening and it was a lot of fun. From what I've read so far, if I want to play more of the series I should try Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance, right?

Hong

The Strongest
From what I've read so far, if I want to play more of the series I should try Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance, right?
Absolutely. Get Path of Radiance at all costs. If you like it a lot, pick up Radiant Dawn, too.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I've played as marth since melee but I thought all Fire Emblem games were japan exclusive. Didn't know they were localized until after the Robin trailer.
Just finished Awakening and it was a lot of fun. From what I've read so far, if I want to play more of the series I should try Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance, right?
Unless you have the 3DS Ambassador program with Sacred Stones on it, the older FE games are pretty hard to find right now (though I definitely recommend trying Path of Radiance out if you can find it). Maybe NoA will get off their lazy butts and put Fire Emblem Blazing Sword (just called Fire Emblem overseas) on the Virtual console sooner or later. If you're European I think NoE has it up on the VC though.

Last edited:

Biff

Smash Rookie
Alright,thanks! I'll see what I can do.
I have a GBA so maybe I can just buy a cartridge for it as the price doesn't seem too bad
and I'm pretty sure one of my friend's friend has Radiance so I might be able to borrow that.

I haven't had the best luck finding older games at my local game stores but that's also worth a shot.

LucinaSuitSamus

Smash Cadet
That's a common thing in Fire Emblem games; having a unit that starts out as incredibly weak and appears to have little potential, but when trained up can become an incredibly powerful force on the battlefield.
Also known as Est archetypes, right?

Or must a unit be recruited extremely late (with poor base stats), and then have excellent growths? Donnel having aptitude really helps him, since I really hate doing Paralogue 1 whenever I start a new file.

But... you can get Donnel extremely early, so I'm debating with myself whether he'd be considered an "Est". Also, Awakening is the second game in the series (the first Sacred Stones "FE8") to have a map where you can walk between chapters. Meaning he could easily be grinded (especially with the DLC). The other Fire Emblem games force you into the next chapter, and you must save your gold to buy stuff then.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
as if i haven't shown this doodle enough around here and yes im aware i got a date wrong

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Donnel is extremely easy to make good because on normal mode you can get a few reeking boxes easy to work on his levels just enough to make him viable. It's one of the reasons I like this iteration, since it brought back the overworld battles where you can level characters outside of the main story.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Donnel is extremely easy to make good because on normal mode you can get a few reeking boxes easy to work on his levels just enough to make him viable. It's one of the reasons I like this iteration, since it brought back the overworld battles where you can level characters outside of the main story.
And, unlike Sacred Stones, you'll actually make more money from them than you'll spend on weapons to fight them.

Top Bottom