• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Okay, fine. I'll get Fire Emblem, jeez" thread.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
On normal, maybe. The price of the reeking boxes is vastly more expensive on higher difficulties.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
On normal, maybe. The price of the reeking boxes is vastly more expensive on higher difficulties.
True. But the fights themselves are still worthwhile, and you can get Reeking Boxes randomly. In Sacred Stones, I never recouped enough from the fights to make up for the weapon durability I lost. It made that entire aspect of the game nearly worthless.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
True. But the fights themselves are still worthwhile, and you can get Reeking Boxes randomly. In Sacred Stones, I never recouped enough from the fights to make up for the weapon durability I lost. It made that entire aspect of the game nearly worthless.
Yeah but for the first foray into overworld grind battles it wasn't too bad, you just had to manage your resources carefully. Usually outside of grinding supports I stuck with a main party anyway.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Heads up: Fire Emblem Awakening is $29.99 on the eShop at the moment. If anyone is interested on buying it, now seems to be a good time.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Heads up: Fire Emblem Awakening is $29.99 on the eShop at the moment. If anyone is interested on buying it, now seems to be a good time.
This is one of the only titles I bought online because I wanted to play it first day and the physical copy at my local gamestore weren't going to come in for another week. It was worth it.

Reila

Awakening is such an easy game, especially compared to Path of Radiance. Also, the story is cliche as hell so far. I am enjoying the game, though. Fun characters, gorgeous visuals, fun gameplay (it is Fire Emblem, after all) and some tracks in the game (Conquest <3) are GORGEOUS.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Awakening is such an easy game, especially compared to Path of Radiance. Also, the story is cliche as hell so far. I am enjoying the game, though. Fun characters, gorgeous visuals, fun gameplay (it is Fire Emblem, after all) and some tracks in the game (Conquest <3) are GORGEOUS.
The hard part about cliche's is you can pretty much say that about any game ever and any movie ever. The question is more are they telling the story well and not if the story is a cliche. In my opinion, they tell it well.

Reila

The hard part about cliche's is you can pretty much say that about any game ever and any movie ever.
Hm... not really. And don't mind my comment about the story, I really couldn't care less about the story in a game.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Hm... not really. And don't mind my comment about the story, I really couldn't care less about the story in a game.
Awakening probably has the weakest story of any Fire Emblem I've played (other than Shadow Dragon), but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Awakening probably has the weakest story of any Fire Emblem I've played (other than Shadow Dragon), but the gameplay more than makes up for it.
Wow you guys are mean. I liked the story just fine. I mean the only thing that maybe wasn't explained all that well was the time travel stuff and how that all worked and whatnot but still, the game made sense and flowed well in terms of its narrative.

I do admit the gameplay is the best part of the game though.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't enjoy Awakening.

Don't get me wrong; its a great game. But I disliked the marriage/children gimmic. Being mildly OCD and wanting all my kids to have optimized stats and the best abilities, I hated having to check gamefaqs constantly to see who should marry who, and which parents I needed to grind support/abilities for.

Grinding every female character to have Galeforce got really, really old. Compare that to any other FE where mounted units could just naturally move twice. :/

Because I always had to preoccupied with this mechanic, I just couldn't enjoy the game.

I wound up just getting frustrated and rushing through the last four chapters with my four most OP characters: Chrom, Robin, Lucina and Morgan. 4 characters. No challenge at all.

Also story, characters and music? all kinda bland compared to other entries.

I'm definitely a Path of Radience/Radiant Dawn guy. I like Ike. :)

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816

Don't get me wrong; its a great game. But I disliked the marriage/children gimmic. Being mildly OCD and wanting all my kids to have optimized stats and the best abilities, I hated having to check gamefaqs constantly to see who should marry who, and which parents I needed to grind support/abilities for.

Grinding every female character to have Galeforce got really, really old. Compare that to any other FE where mounted units could just naturally move twice. :/

Because I always had to preoccupied with this mechanic, I just couldn't enjoy the game.

I wound up just getting frustrated and rushing through the last four chapters with my four most OP characters: Chrom, Robin, Lucina and Morgan. 4 characters. No challenge at all.

To be fair you don't HAVE to do any of that. But I can understand. My friend was much the same no matter how many times I told him NOT to be so worried about max stats and skills. Yeah it's nice that you can pass them down to the kids but more often than not unless you were playing on Hard (Even then not really) or Lunatic Skills and max stats really won't be that important in the end. He still did it though.

Hong

The Strongest

I largely agree with this post that the marriage system was highly unnecessary. As someone who also feels compelled to utilize the mechanic, initially it used to cause me to hitch up on the game, resulting in a loss of interest. I had to remake a file and disregard it entirely in order to beat it, prior.

But what I will disagree with is the comment on the music. IMO Awakening is the best music Fire Emblem has had since the Super Famicom, but I will say Radiant Dawn was pretty close. Absolutely epic soundtrack in its own right, but nothing that can compare to Awakening's excellent use of using the same base track for both the field and battle, but then playing a super epic version of the same track for battle.

And the two songs that don't have adaptive intensity, "Don't speak her name!" and "Purpose", are too awesome to touch.

Last edited:

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
Before Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer, my friend would always tell me how awesome Awakening is and kept making references to it, but I had never played a Fire Emblem game in my life. However, that did not convince me to buy Awakening, because I didn't think I would like the genre. I honestly don't know why I bought Awakening after I saw the trailer. Maybe it was because Chrom was deconfirmed and I wanted to see what made him so wanted to become Fire Emblem's new Smash Bro's rep.

I'm glad I did buy it, because Fire Emblem is one of my favourite franchises now, along with Pokemon and Mario.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
And the two songs that don't have adaptive intensity, "Don't speak her name!" and "Purpose", are too awesome to touch.
Ugh! "Don't Speak Her Name!" That's my absolute favorite level in the series... and maybe in any game I've ever played. Something about the music, the loss, the rain, the running thieves, the impending wyvern doom from mountains you really can't get to, and the enemies not even wanting to fight made it so emotional. It literally felt like life and death. That was the turning point for me. I already liked the game a lot, but after this chapter I loved it. I love the quiet part of the song around 3:10 and then the sudden forte dynamic change just blows me out of the water every single time I hear it. Here's the song for anyone who wants to hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWO4ff1HXYY

I'm also writing a short story for class today about a soldier leaving for battle and Id (Sorrow) is perfect for background music.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Ugh! "Don't Speak Her Name!" That's my absolute favorite level in the series... and maybe in any game I've ever played. Something about the music, the loss, the rain, the running thieves, the impending wyvern doom from mountains you really can't get to, and the enemies not even wanting to fight made it so emotional. It literally felt like life and death. That was the turning point for me. I already liked the game a lot, but after this chapter I loved it. I love the quiet part of the song around 3:10 and then the sudden forte dynamic change just blows me out of the water every single time I hear it. Here's the song for anyone who wants to hear it:

I'm also writing a short story for class today about a soldier leaving for battle and Id (Sorrow) is perfect for background music.
No lie, Don't Speak Her Name! is a fantastic piece of music. Don't forget about l~because though.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
No lie, Don't Speak Her Name! is a fantastic piece of music. Don't forget about l~because though.
I had to look that up- it was called Id-Purpose when it was localized. I love that song too. I'm so happy that it's in Smash Bros.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I had to look that up- it was called Id-Purpose when it was localized. I love that song too. I'm so happy that it's in Smash Bros.
Oh. ...huh. You're right. My bad, so it was already mentioned. But yeah, I'm extremely glad it's in Smash Bros. Gonna be doing Arena Ferox and Magicant (Omega) all day every day. Purpose and Smiles&Tears respectively are too good not to.

Oh, right, I suppose since I'm posting I should say. I started with Awakening just this last June and I've played every localized game since. Didn't do it because of smash, I did it because it seemed like fun but I'd never gotten around to playing a fire rmblem game...and then I proceeded to go insane and beat it in Normal/Cas, then Hard/Cla, then Lunatic/Cas, then Lunatic/Cla, then Luna+/Cas and Luna+/Cla, after buying all the DLC. Then I proceeded to speedrun the game for a time, getting to about 50 minutes in a no-renown run, and then I bought the other FE games from a friend, beat them all, and now I'm back to Awakening again.
Don't get me wrong, I like the entire series (as others have said, Path of Radiance is especially solid.), and I know Awakening has its flaws (the story only shines in the diverse supports, maps are garbage with no chokepoints and less strategy aside from a few maps.) but I'm just so gravitated to Awakening. The gameplay and supports are so good, and aside from absurd "enemies spawn and move right after your turn" shenanigans, it's insanely good. The support system is really cool and pair ups add a new area of depth. It's also an amazing place to start. If you play FE, play Awakening first (especially since it's only 30 on the eShop right now.)

Back on music and PoR, I'm dissapointed Power-Hungry Fool is gone though.

Zephil

Smash Ace
Oh man I love this thread as it makes me remember the first time I played Blazing Sword.

Definitely I am grateful to smash to show me what I consider my favorite franchise of all. I started with melee as I wanted to know who the hell were this red haired boy and this blue boy with a tiara so I got FE7 which I still consider top 3 best games of the franchise and of the best games I have played in my life.

Each game brings something different (for better or worse) to the genre and the connection you make with the characters is definitely the strongest point of the franchise.

Robin is a great addition to this roster and I hope FE gets more of this Mario chars bias in the future smashes!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Oh man I love this thread as it makes me remember the first time I played Blazing Sword.

Definitely I am grateful to smash to show me what I consider my favorite franchise of all. I started with melee as I wanted to know who the hell were this red haired boy and this blue boy with a tiara so I got FE7 which I still consider top 3 best games of the franchise and of the best games I have played in my life.

Each game brings something different (for better or worse) to the genre and the connection you make with the characters is definitely the strongest point of the franchise.

Robin is a great addition to this roster and I hope FE gets more of this Mario chars bias in the future smashes!
People like you make me feel bad. Despite loving both Marth and Roy since 2005, I never even touched FE until I got Shadow Dragon in preparation for Awakening. I really love the series now and wish that I hadn't missed so many years of great games. At the time, perma-death turned me off from it, as I didn't want to lose characters that I had trained for so long.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
People like you make me feel bad. Despite loving both Marth and Roy since 2005, I never even touched FE until I got Shadow Dragon in preparation for Awakening. I really love the series now and wish that I hadn't missed so many years of great games. At the time, perma-death turned me off from it, as I didn't want to lose characters that I had trained for so long.
I'm pretty sure that's not my post you quoted; why does it have my name?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm pretty sure that's not my post you quoted; why does it have my name?
Huh, that's pretty funny...

Actually, I meant to quote your last post and say that Castle Siege is back, so Power Hungry Fool could be too, but that comment disappeared...

@ Zephil Zephil , I was actually quoting you.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I never even knew about the series until I saw Marth and Ike in Brawl. I found out about the series they came from and realized it was a series popular in Japan for the most part so I was like "Meh, don't care." Then Fire Emblem got four characters in Smash Bros. 4 and that was when I thought I should see what the series was like. I downloaded the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening onto my 3DS since that was the most recent game in the series and also the one where Robin and Lucina were from and played it. I rather enjoyed it for the most part and I also discovered that Robin was the avatar player in the game. I haven't had time to purchase the full game but I am still glad to learn about the origins of those characters and I am also thinking of maining Robin in Smash Bros. 4.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I never even knew about the series until I saw Marth and Ike in Brawl. I found out about the series they came from and realized it was a series popular in Japan for the most part so I was like "Meh, don't care." Then Fire Emblem got four characters in Smash Bros. 4 and that was when I thought I should see what the series was like. I downloaded the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening onto my 3DS since that was the most recent game in the series and also the one where Robin and Lucina were from and played it. I rather enjoyed it for the most part and I also discovered that Robin was the avatar player in the game. I haven't had time to purchase the full game but I am still glad to learn about the origins of those characters and I am also thinking of maining Robin in Smash Bros. 4.
Join the Dark Side. We have cookies.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Man, Pokemon, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem.... Nintendo knows how to make proper RPG's.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
I am ****ing ashamed of myself guys.

The only FE games I have is Shadow Dragon DS and Path of Radiance. >.<

This game looks and sounds fantastic. After Smash 3DS I will have to pick this up. Count on it

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Man, Pokemon, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem.... Nintendo knows how to make proper RPG's.
I agree. Dare I say that Final Fantasy was better when it was on the NES.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

This game looks and sounds fantastic. After Smash 3DS I will have to pick this up. Count on it
YOU DISAPPOINT ME

GET IT NAO

THOU MUST

:happysheep:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

While Awakening is great, "only" having Path of Radiance is no need to be ashamed. It's the favorite/2nd favorite Fire Emblem game for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Zephil

Smash Ace
@ Fire Tactician Fire Tactician yeah man but now you have many new games to try but starting with Shadow Dragon must have been tough, thats the worst game of the franchise in my opinion.

The perma-death its a great mechanic that forces you to care way more for your chars but yeah you will be spamming that reset button frequently,..

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549

Do whatever you can to get Radiant Dawn. The story in that game is awesome, especially if you love the Tellius universe.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I've been a fan of Fire Emblem since Path of Radiance and after telling them how great it is, i FINALLY got two of my friends to play Awakening and they both love it. And now they're both excited about Robin in Smash. I'd say i accomplished something.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
@ Fire Tactician Fire Tactician yeah man but now you have many new games to try but starting with Shadow Dragon must have been tough, thats the worst game of the franchise in my opinion.

The perma-death its a great mechanic that forces you to care way more for your chars but yeah you will be spamming that reset button frequently,..
Since I had nothing to base my experience on, I thought that Shadow Dragon was great! I can understand why some don't like it, but both it and its sequel got me hooked. All that's left is the matter of acquiring the other games without draining my bank account...

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Do whatever you can to get Radiant Dawn. The story in that game is awesome, especially if you love the Tellius universe.
I heard Radiant Dawn was balls hard and not that good

While Awakening is great, "only" having Path of Radiance is no need to be ashamed. It's the favorite/2nd favorite Fire Emblem game for a lot of people.
Hmm. Did not know that lol xD

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I heard Radiant Dawn was balls hard and not that good
Radiant Dawn is pretty good, but it's unusual. It's basically the opposite of Awakening. It fails at many of the things Awakening did best, while it succeeds in the areas Awakening struggled. Namely, the cast is absolutely gargantuan, so a lot of minor characters get lost in the shuffle and don't have very distinctive personalities. The lack of real support conversations makes this even worse. A lot of units also aren't very viable because they appear and disappear for story reasons, which can mess with your teams if you don't know it's coming. On the good side, the maps are probably the best in the entire series, and have loads of unique and awesome objectives. The strategy gameplay is rock-solid. The plot is also the most "epic" in the series, with a variety of factions, some brilliant villains, and a spectacularly engrossing world (versus Awakening, which pretty much ignored all world-building not necessary for the plot).

The difficulty is true to an extent, but it can be misleading. The beginning of the game is by and away the hardest part of the game because the Dawn Brigade has a lot of crummy units. Later armies you control have plenty of downright broken units who make the majority of the game actually pretty easy.

All in all, I would recommend RD quite strongly, but I would suggest approaching it with an open mind, because it's a very strange FE game.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Wow you guys are mean. I liked the story just fine. I mean the only thing that maybe wasn't explained all that well was the time travel stuff and how that all worked and whatnot but still, the game made sense and flowed well in terms of its narrative.

I do admit the gameplay is the best part of the game though.
Yes, they do. On the DLC maps they explain that Naga helped Lucina and the rest of the children to fix the horrible future and let them time travel.

Top Bottom