• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Okay, fine. I'll get Fire Emblem, jeez" thread.

Hong

The Strongest
Yes, they do. On the DLC maps they explain that Naga helped Lucina and the rest of the children to fix the horrible future and let them time travel.
It was explained as the work of Naga both in the main story line, and the supports as well.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I guess I'm late as I've been posting in the Robin thread already, but this was basically me as well. I've always wanted to try FE and never got around to it, but after the Robin trailer, my interest was rekindled. Eventually, a month or so ago, I finally got Awakening and now I want to try the other games a lot. Awakening is easily one of my favorite 3DS games, and I'll be using Robin and Lucina in Smash for sure. And I'll definitely be getting any future games in the series.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
So I've never played FE:Aw (what kind of Robin lover am I right?) but I love Fire Emblems in general. I beat the first one on NES, Gaiden, and Radiant Dawn and played partially some others. RD was -ok- but it seemed it lacked a certain strategical oomph from the earlier ones. Does Awakening carry on the Fire Emblem legacy admirably or, like many game series, does it start to fall flat? (I'd prefer the opinions of those who've played multiple FE's but any input is appreciated ;)]

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
I had gotten Fire Emblem when it originally came out here in the states, took me a year or two to fully complete.
Played through most of them (except Shadow Dragon, Thracia and the original Fire Emblem)

I'm currently hunting for a decently priced Radiant Dawn, since I only borrowed it and never bought it myself.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So I've never played FE:Aw (what kind of Robin lover am I right?) but I love Fire Emblems in general. I beat the first one on NES, Gaiden, and Radiant Dawn and played partially some others. RD was -ok- but it seemed it lacked a certain strategical oomph from the earlier ones. Does Awakening carry on the Fire Emblem legacy admirably or, like many game series, does it start to fall flat? (I'd prefer the opinions of those who've played multiple FE's but any input is appreciated ;)]
Awakening is my favorite game in the series. The plot is a bit more cliche than usual, but everything else is a huge improvement.

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
As someone who's played several FE games, I'll give you a quick overview. You have access to classic and casual modes, which basically let you decide wether you want the traditional permanent-death mechanic on or off, and the ability to save mid-battle. Casual mode can allow for a more relaxed experience. The game looks good and has a good soundtrack. It also features (quite decent!) voice acting. Characters don't have a limited amount of possible level ups anymore due to the second seal, which allows characters to switch classes when some mild conditions are met. This does allow for a personalized playing experience, though. For that matter, you can also grind in between chapters if you like, by random skirmishes or DLC chapters. This game excels in replay value compared to other entries in the series.

The story isn't anything spectacular, but it has its moments. DLC is not part of the main story, though a few DLC chapters provide additional backstory. The character roster isn't as massive as most past games, but the characters are definitely deeper and more interesting than before thanks to the support conversations and the frequency at which they are unlocked. Characters, including your avatar character can even marry. What that results in... well, that would be a spoiler. But if you get the game, definitely go for this. I can tell you it unlocks additional chapters.

In general, the game is better than most past games, and it's very enjoyable. The game does take a hit in a specific area, though. The gameplay. All maps are route enemy or route boss enemy. The map design is also rather poor. You will likely find that simply overpowering your foes is often more important than strategic positioning, which is the result of some poor design choices which you will probably notice upon playing.

Still, the game is very enjoyable, and I strongly recommend it despite the complaint just above. As a Fire Emblem game, it is very good, just expect a few letdowns. A quick tip: be mindful of your grinding. This particular entry truly is as difficult as you want and decide to make it.

On that note, also consider Path of Radiance (for Gamecube) if you can get your hand on it. It's my personal favorite in the series and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's the prequel to Radiant Dawn, btw.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Played FE7 , i loved it ...
Played Path of Radiance , it was okay ...
Played Radiant Dawn , meh the character was ... well boring ( + Ike steroide srsly ? )
Played Awakening the first time on the toilet Fall in love with the game ... and my girlfriend never saw me get out of the toilet again ...

That's the story of my life with FE <3

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I'm playing FE7 for the first time, and I can't put it down. I was worried permadeath would turn me away from the non-Awakening games, but my fears were unfounded. It adds a little bonus challenge of being wiser with your units (and equipment, since it's not as plentiful as Awakening) that's oddly fun. I can safely say now that I'm a Fire Emblem fan, not just an Awakening fan.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Thanks for the detailed review Laggalot. It sounds like there're a lot of interesting features. Even if the gameplay is a bit shoddy, permadeath mode and Lunatic mode should keep it interesting. Plus it sounds like there're a lot of cool features. I'm gonna get it once I beat Shin Megami Tensei IV.

I highly suggest the original FE (or the remake, Shadow Dragon, though I prefer the oldschool version). The plot is what you can expect from an NES game, but the gameplay is solid, if difficult at times. Probably my favorite FE.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is this the official Fire Emblem thread for Smashboards? If not, could somebody kindly direct me to it?
Lol, not even close. I don't know if there is an "official" thread for Fire Emblem, but there is an (inactive) social forum dedicated to Fire Emblem. However, note that I said "inactive," its not heavily posted in of late.

This thread is for Smash players who became interested in Fire Emblem through Robin's addition as a playable character.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Lol, not even close. I don't know if there is an "official" thread for Fire Emblem, but there is an (inactive) social forum dedicated to Fire Emblem. However, note that I said "inactive," its not heavily posted in of late.

This thread is for Smash players who became interested in Fire Emblem through Robin's addition as a playable character.
Ah, mkay. I was confused because I couldn't find a proper Smashboards social thread for FE. (Although I did pick up FE:A because of Robin... but still.)

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
I didn't get into Fire Emblem because of Robin, although I'd be lying if I said that Smash didn't clue me into the series' very existence (as Fire Emblem before Awakening was not particularly popular in the we-- well, anywhere, actually). Thing is, though, I didn't get into the series because I liked playing as Fire Emblem reps in Smash-- I primarily became interested because I was into fantasy RPGs at the time and Fire Emblem reminded me a lot of a more strategic iteration on Dungeons and Dragons combat. I played through 7 on an emulator (because good luck finding a physical copy somewhere-- not to worry, I later purchased the Virtual Console release to atone for my unethical software acquiring practices) and then moved onto Shadow Dragon (which at the time was the most recent localized release in the states). I actually really liked Shadow Dragon even though apparently a lot of series vets didn't think it was a very good remake, and from that point considered myself a fan of the series-- not a "big" fan, but I definitely appreciated it for what it was. I was planning to buy Awakening at some point and, admittedly only really got around to it due to Lucina and Robin's announcement for Smash 4. Robin was super exciting for me because I remember just loving the idea of playing as a tactician-- specifically a character who dealt with battle strategies-- in Fire Emblem 7, and since Robin was the logical extension of that in a Smash game, I was pretty pumped.

We've had our ups and downs, Robin and I, but every time I think I'm gonna give her up, I realize that Smash 4 just wouldn't be the same for me without the ability to kill people by throwing books at them. Read more books, kids.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I have Awakening, but Radiant Dawn is my favorite FE in terms of tension-inducing story of war and political intrigue with more than 2 nations(beat THAT, Fates)that seems to simulate more like the eve of a possible world war. RD also has better maps, more varied objectives with side objectives and challenging gameplay that helps draw attention to the plot.

I personally believe RD is where the series peaked in terms of realistic storytelling(even though it has it's touch of the supernatural, where, surprise-surprise, the plot kills itself)and TRPG where the battles are difficult enough but not atrocious about it to make it feel very satisfying when you beat it.

I dislike the direction FE is going(YOU GET FANSERVICE, AND YOU GET FANSERVICE - EVERYBODY GETS FANSERVICE), especially when I learned of FE Fates Birthright's plot that just makes you groan on the amount of cliches(don't get me started on that "twist"). Plus, that main avatar is not something I want to relate with - I dislike him/her and how "speshul" he/she is... PUT ON SOME SHOES.

Sadly, Fire Emblem was a dying franchise and Awakening's success pulled it out of the fires of development hell. So, as they say, sex sells.

Last edited:

SaikaGaleforce

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-3121-7264
playing the fe characters in smash 4 is legitimately making me want to play fe, even though i hate turn-based games, if nothing else i might buy it and watch my girlfriend play it because she likes turn-based games

Top Bottom