• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
When I feel like it again, I'll return to looking for better websites.

I do have to agree with you on one thing, though: NJ is the worst state in the US.

GenG

Smash Lord
I still can't see why Waluigi should be in so badly. His career started as the filling pair for Wario in Mario Tennis, then Nintendo developed the "Luigi's enemy" and the so on "Luigi's princess" with Daisy.

To the date, he hasn't starred any remarkeable games apart from the Party and Sport ones. He hasn't got many fans as you can see reading the top prefered characters in any magazine, webpage, and he didn't popped at the poll in the japanese website.

He lacks the appealing status required for Brawl. If you take a look at the characters shown in the trailer, they are all the top notch of Nintendo and were being requested for years. Waluigi pales in comparison with those characters: Metaknight, Pit, Wario and Snake. He hasn't got the right status to be a Smash Bros character yet.

Perhaps he'll get a place in the Nintendo dream roster for the next Smash, but now, he isn't more than a filler character. The problem is Nintendo's of course, because they don't want Waluigi starring anything (geez, Tingle has a game for himself!) unlike most Mario relatives:

Luigi:
- Luigi was the second character in Mario 2D platformers.
- Appeared in every game of the Mario franchise since its beginning in the Mario Bros arcade except Mario 64 and Sunshine.
- He has a huge fanbase.
- Has starred some games, like Mario's Missing or Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's Mansion is getting representation in every sport game, like Kart and Tennis, so Nintendo wants to emphatize Luigi as a main character. He will, soon or later, go full fledged as Wario did.

Peach:
- Peach is the main reason for every Mario game.
- She has appeared in every Mario game since Mario Bros, from spinoff sport titles to platformers.
- Has a relationship with Mario, as well as Bowser.
- She has a huge fanbase.
- She is the main character of Super Princess Peach, as well as having major roles in games like Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario.

Yoshi:
- He started as a "item" in Mario World. Because his cute looks, people started to love him, as he got games far different from the classical Mario ones.
- Yoshi is representing his own games, which are very unique and innovative platfomers.

Wario:
- Wario started as Mario's enemy in Mario Land 2, but in Mario Land 3 he got the main role. Nintendo though that Mario Land games needed a style change, so Wario greediness and powers made these games unique.
- He has appeared in every spinoff game since then.
- Has another franchise, Wario Ware, so he is now in possession of both Land and Ware franchises. Representing his games.

Waluigi is a filler character and he is always intended to make a couple with Wario, but since Wario is going Ware in Brawl, Waluigi is out. He could go representing games, but Party and sport games are already represented by... Mario and his crew (Peach has tennis and golf smashes). And if he will enter solo... so Peach and Luigi could do too, cause they have their own series.

Dr Mario, Pichu, Falco, Roy and Young Link are clone characters done in no time because they haven't time to develop so many movesets while having an excuse for them, so they won't likely appear in Brawl.

Now, in this time and age, Waluigi hasn't anything to say about Nintendo while characters like Pit, Ice Climbers or Game & Watch do. Brawl isn't for putting any character you like in, this game is more like a Dream Fight among the top Nintendo characters... and other ones.

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
I understand that it's not what I want. I'll get back to this after I dump some gravel where the hornets' nest is. Just wanted to post this so you know I acknowledged it.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Debating and arguing in this thread is like a game of tennis. People say the same things over and over again but in a different way.

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't think it's fair to say that everything that's been said has been the same.

Edit: I've realized that by now, I'm pretty tired of arguing, and I'm done battling for Waluigi tonight. All I have to say at the moment is give him and Nintendo some time, and Waluigi'll show he's worth your while.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Much respect to Geng. I don't have the same view as him nor do I agree but he said what he had to say and baked it up with something substantial.

That being said, a filler character is just, essentially, a supporting cast member. Supporting cast is how a lot of characters start off. Luigi was created to make player two look different in SMB3. You can tell he wasn't initially considered. That is evident in their names. Mario Mario is obviuosly a cover up( even in the 80's and 90's people were more creative than that). Falco started as someone else to be along side the hero, fox. Even though he has yet to receive his own game, he still has a vital role in the star fox games. Zelda, although the games are named after he, is another supporting cast member. Just because people start off a fillers (or supporting cast as I put it) dosen't mean that they are destined to be just that forever, Luigi alone is great proof of that. I can't count them but Waluigi has fans. He does not have the highest chancee of being in brawl but he has a good chance none-the-less. Whose to say he dosen't have a game coming to the wii that they wiouldn't want to promote like they did with Fire Emblem.

In reference to smash being a "dream fight" game, Many already stated that they want to see a fight Mario and Luigi vs Wario and Waluigi, which in my opinion would make for a pretty decent event match.

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
Since Bird posted, I don't have to put this into an edit.

Geng, would you be able to link me to the poll with all the characters on it? I'd like to have it so I can add to substantial arguments in the future.

GenG

Smash Lord
Here you are.

Take in mind that this poll is not decisive. A shown character doesn't have to appear in the game, while there are not shown characters that are goint to make it. This were a mailbag to submit ideas and characters, like a brainstorming. The top requested characters have chances to appear though, they seem pretty fitting to me.

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, GenG. I know it's not the adamant proof of what goes in or not, but I'd like to see the other big choices on there, so when I venture off into a debate in another thread, I don't make myself look like a fool.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
hemightbegiant said:
Diddy kong Racing DS? KOOL!

Any off the old charcters returning?
all of them but banjo and conker, hopefully the graphics will be better Diddy Kong Racing was appauling. Oh and Tiny Kong is in this one :(

Waluigi does have a fan base it's just small like his chance of being in brawl (IMO)

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
I must give you credit GenG, you make a good argument, and I'd much rather see a character from one of nintendo's many other series (Punch-Out, Stafy, Balloon fight, etc.). But in terms of Mario characters, I'd still prefer Waluigi, on the grounds that the mario sports/party universe still needs a representative, and I personally think Waluigi, who has been exclusivally in these games, can represent it etter then peach or mario.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
he must have some sort of fan base if theres about 400 fan arts of him at deviantart and possibly more around the web

GenG

Smash Lord
Sinistar71 said:
I must give you credit GenG, you make a good argument, and I'd much rather see a character from one of nintendo's many other series (Punch-Out, Stafy, Balloon fight, etc.). But in terms of Mario characters, I'd still prefer Waluigi, on the grounds that the mario sports/party universe still needs a representative, and I personally think Waluigi, who has been exclusivally in these games, can represent it etter then peach or mario.
Sure, there are two Mario characters that could enter Brawl: Waluigi and Daisy, because I'm against Toads and Koopa Troopas in this game. Both have covered many points (especially Daisy, we know many things about her and she doesn't fit as a Peach clone, she is from the Flower Kingdom Sarasa), but lack some serious development. Smash Bros isn't the game for a underdeveloped character to be great, but a game to show how good has become through these years. And those two characters need more games, more personality, more memorable games to be kept in the gamers' memory like Mario, Zelda or Kirby do... and as Pit Icarus or Ice Climbers did.
I was pissed about Wario exclusion of Melee, yet he had a lot of games at that time. Think about those characters that didn't made it to Melee... and think where is Waluigi in a possible ranking of priority. If the game have already limited spots (think about 35 or so), Waluigi is very likely out of the game. Too many stars, and too little space.

That's how I see it.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Sinistar71 said:
I'd still prefer Waluigi, on the grounds that the mario sports/party universe still needs a representative,
Peach already represents the Mario RPG/ Sport and Party (correct me if I'm wrong) and why Waluigi over Daisy then? they can't add one without the other too many people will be pissed ecause they are both exclusive to the party and sports games so why should one get in over the other? They are both as unique as each other, they both have about the same amount of personality and their fan bases are both around the same size. Why add Waluigi over Daisy, Waluigi may be Wario's Luigi but Daisy is Peach's Waluigi and the game needs more females than they do males so looks like Daisy would get in over Waluigi and rep the sports / party games.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
waluigi should just be an alternate colour of luigi until waluigi becomes a little popular, then maybe he could be his own character on the next ssb game

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Ah yes, good ol crotch chop, gotta love DX lol, if he does make it in the game that has to be 1 of his taunts for sure

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
xianfeng said:
all of them but banjo and conker, hopefully the graphics will be better Diddy Kong Racing was appauling. Oh and Tiny Kong is in this one :(

Waluigi does have a fan base it's just small like his chance of being in brawl (IMO)
Aww.... Conker was the only one I used.

Still, a sequel with better graphics! I hope it's as good as Mario Kart DS

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
what was that turtle's name, i always called him filburt (named after Rocko's Modern Life), that was the character i used. diddy kong racing ds will kick a**.

but back to waluigi, holy crap, he likes to grab his crotch. that should definetely be his taunt.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
colbusman said:
what was that turtle's name, i always called him filburt (named after Rocko's Modern Life), that was the character i used. diddy kong racing ds will kick a**.

but back to waluigi, holy crap, he likes to grab his crotch. that should definetely be his taunt.
The turtles name was Tip-Tup. Rocko's Modern Life was kick-a**

Waluigi Crotch grab, he's a PIMP! :pimp:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Waluigi loves to garden too. They talk that up in the Mario Party games, because he some weird affinity for Pirahna Plants (I don't play the MP games. Not since the original. So I'm going off what I've heard :p)

I think Waluigi also likes destruction and destroying stuff... His track in Mario DDR is the Wrecking Crew theme, his minigame in Mario Part-e I *think* was something where he would drop random construction items on your head, and he definitely uses those bob-ombs in Mario Kart a lot. His secondary kart in Mario Kart DS is a backhoe, too.

Uh... he likes eggplants. In Baseball that's his special hit/pitch.

He has freaky *** magical powers. In the original Tennis, his eyes glew. And in Power Tennis, he can summon water by giving himself a wet willy :laugh:

There was something else, but eh. He's an interesting character. He's only been around for about 6 years, and he's got more personality than most of the original Mario Cast!

Edit: Oh! In Golf: Toadstool Tour, he attempts to dance when he gets a Birdie (Michael Jackson style o.O;;), and he has that crotch chop in Strikers. I think he's really just a huge showoff, and loves to lie and cheat to accentuate that. He has a thing for Daisy, and Daisy either ignores it or acknowledges it secretly, and apparently he's secretly best friends with Toadette (in one of the Mario Party games, they refer to each other as "secret friends")

xianfeng

Smash Hero
colbusman said:

Rocko's modern life was funny.

Waluigi has no where near as much personality as any of the original mario cast fliptroopa, Koopa Troopa (the special one from the sports games) has more personality than waluigi, Daisy has more personality than waluigi and even Birdo has more personality than waluigi.

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
on what grounds are you saying that? What gives koopa troopa more personallity then waluigi? Or Birdo for that matter? what's your reasoning, or do you have any reasons, other then your personal hatred of waluigi?

and for the record, the turtle's name is tiptup, and he made a cameo in bubblegloop swamp in Banjo-Kazooie

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
wait, Koopa Troopa more personality then Waluigi, all we know is that he's a loved Generic Enemy and he's great at sports and that are stomped on and there shells are thrown and some work for bowser and some are friendly, thats about it, Birdo, gees, you must really hate Waluigi then lol, Birdo was in Mario Bros 2 yes, but when did she reappear after that, THE GAME WALUIGI DEBUTED IN! Mario Tennis, that was the next time we saw Birdo, and if anything, Birdo is much more of a filler chracter then Waluigi will EVER be and Daisy hmm, i wouldn't really know how to compare those 2, considering daisy is another character that disappeared a long time, but i'd still say Waluigi has more personality then her since imo Daisy was pretty much another Peach in the beginning until about hmm, when she reappeared lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well where not talking about Daisy now isnt it? And what xianfeng said about Koopa Troopa was just a example of a character. Yeah maybe Waluigi got some more personality, still a Koopa character was playable outside Mario sport game like Paper Mario and Paper Mario 2.

The problem with Waluigi is not only he's a rather boring character, he's just a filler character. Nintendo picked the 26 characters from SSBM very carefully. Yeah maybe hte Ice CLimbers and GAW are obsecure (sp?) but they still had their own games and where they atleast where very unique.

Mario Sport games aren't that unique comparing to for example Ice Climber. Every one can play a sport as tennis or baseball... Also Waluigi is perhaps one of the least original from all those characters. Other filler characters as Daisy have atleast special moves based of something, as for Daisy... Flowers. Waluigi's specials as the Eggplant, Waluigi Swim and Whir-Luigi are all based on insanity, ofcoarse I'd like to see some sort of insane character. But it'd be a waste if they'd pick Waluigi for that role.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
I agree that Waluigi would be a filler he isnt the title character of anything. He only appears in some of the Mario games. It would be a big mistake to put him in.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
As much as I think it would be cool to put him in the problem with that is we barely know anything about him. What would his moves be, a golf club and Tennis racket? or a Baseball bat, all from Mario's sports titles? He doesn't seem to be a likely addition because of this.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Although I agree that his background has been very limited in terms of genereal knowwledge I still believe that he should be included into brawl. Nothing was known about Roy before his inclusion in melee but he was added none-the-less. He's a trouble maker, he has an unknown hatred towards luigi,a crush on daisy(I think), and he has a good relationship with wario.

Even if those reason don't interest you consider this. As of late everyone is trying to pair up more hereos with villians. Waluigi (as obvious as this is) good be added on the grounds that it would finally give luigi a rival. Bowser is not luigi's rival, he is mario's. The addition of Waluigi not only gives him a chance to shine but it could help luigi take a bigger step out of mario's shadow. Mario has three or four rivals in bowser, wario, dk(go back a little), and possible sonic(console war). Luigi could also benefit from this addition because the developers could play on their rivalry as either a main boss for luigi or as an interseting event match.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
BIRDMAN22 said:
Although I agree that his background has been very limited in terms of genereal knowwledge I still believe that he should be included into brawl. Nothing was known about Roy before his inclusion in melee but he was added none-the-less. He's a trouble maker, he has an unknown hatred towards luigi,a crush on daisy(I think), and he has a good relationship with wario.
Still Roy's game was yet to be made. And he was there for advertisement. And however if a Mario Party/Sport title is being made I dont think Waluigi would be a good adverticement character, he isnt really regonicable and he isnt the big star of the Mario cameo games.

GenG

Smash Lord
BIRDMAN22 said:
Fire Emblem characters have a definite role in the world where the games take place, with almost a one-shot and closed story, unlike Mario character that are more iconic and have recurring appareances. And, Roy's Fire Emblem story was written way before Melee, and way before GC, since Maiden of the Dark (renamed to Sword of Seals) was intended to be a 64DD title before they stopped the development and restarted it for the GBA in 2001 for a 2002 release.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Pit 42 said:
As much as I think it would be cool to put him in the problem with that is we barely know anything about him. What would his moves be, a golf club and Tennis racket? or a Baseball bat, all from Mario's sports titles? He doesn't seem to be a likely addition because of this.
Pit 42 said:
Waluigi isn't a good character to include, though, if he had a major fanbase he would be put in Brawl, but he doesn't so he shouldn't make the cut.
...have you been reading this thread?

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
Where do you all get these "rules"? A character must star in their own game to be acceptable? I would like to see a link to an official quote from Nintendo stating this. Besides, that disqualifies Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Bowser, Ganondorf, Falco, and several others who are already in.

Let's say we've gotten past that argument. Now you're all going to resort to character popularity and character development. First, about popularity: how do you know? Is it at all possible for you to pull out of a hat the answers to how many people like Waluigi? Even if you set up a poll, there would be hundreds, if not thousands, who didn't vote.

Now to character development. Mario games are notorious for little to no character development. I've never played Super Princess Peach, so I can't give you much on that. But what I can tell you is that Mario, the quintessential Brawl character, has been developed less than Waluigi. So why do you want him in?

GenG

Smash Lord
Master Puppet said:
Now to character development. Mario games are notorious for little to no character development. I've never played Super Princess Peach, so I can't give you much on that. But what I can tell you is that Mario, the quintessential Brawl character, has been developed less than Waluigi. So why do you want him in?
That leads to:

Why Luigi?
Why Pit?
Why Kirby?
Why Link?
Why Ice Climbers?
Why G&W?

Why people is asking for seemingly iconic, non speaking and underdeveloped characters?

Because these characters have a background, story, games, and nostalgia backing them up, that's why they are memorable characters. It doesn't have to do with personality, because we know that Link is a blonde guy that doesn't speak and doesn't have feelings, but hey, it's there. Jigglypuff is the most popular Pokémon in Japan, Metwo has a movie and it's a badass... Pichu and Falco may get the boot...

Waluigi hasn't fulfilled, RIGHT NOW, many of these "requisites". He is a minor character RIGHT NOW. Dunno what will become of him in some years.

Link226

Smash Ace
Master Puppet said:
Where do you all get these "rules"? A character must star in their own game to be acceptable? I would like to see a link to an official quote from Nintendo stating this. Besides, that disqualifies Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Bowser, Ganondorf, Falco, and several others who are already in.

Let's say we've gotten past that argument. Now you're all going to resort to character popularity and character development. First, about popularity: how do you know? Is it at all possible for you to pull out of a hat the answers to how many people like Waluigi? Even if you set up a poll, there would be hundreds, if not thousands, who didn't vote.

Couldnt say it betta myself

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
GenG said:
Fire Emblem characters have a definite role in the world where the games take place, with almost a one-shot and closed story, unlike Mario character that are more iconic and have recurring appareances. And, Roy's Fire Emblem story was written way before Melee, and way before GC, since Maiden of the Dark (renamed to Sword of Seals) was intended to be a 64DD title before they stopped the development and restarted it for the GBA in 2001 for a 2002 release.
How does this counter my prevous arguement. You're telling because roy had a game that was stopped and restarted that's the justification for him being in melee. That's great, so your also saying that as long as nintendo is developing a game for a character that they are allowed to be in smash bros even if they will only be in one game. Waluigi has been in various games even if they are just "party" games. Plus not one person has yet to prove that nintendo will not make a game for him. His role in the mario universe gives potential for more storylines for himself as well as luigi. There might be a game or storyline coming out that features waluigi, which would give him all rights to be in brawl.

To everyone saying that he has no personality, we know more about his personality than that of either mario or luigi. Please stop using that as an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom