• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
can the springs for the Y and X buttons be replaced/interchanged?

anyone know?
The X and Y buttons don't have springs; they have a spongy thing underneath them (it's one piece which covers all 4 of the face buttons) which I assume is made of silicon or a similar material. It isn't held down with anything other than the weight/pressure of the rest of the controller so it can be changed easily.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
My best controller that I've used to play for months now and at tournaments is having a problem. Every once in a while when I play, when I go to the character select screen, the P1 hand will wander up on its own. I can fix it by just wiggling it around and trying again until it works, but its alarming. Can I fix this? I have a new white controller, but I hate using it because the triggers will be stiff if pressed a certain way and the analog stick sometimes has me pivot like 6x instead of dash dancing with marth. Is it worth it to play with my white one which I don't like since it will likely last forever, or can I fix my best controller?
My controller has a similar problem. The analogue stick will get stuck in the up or down position when pushed in either direction. In most cases I can just move the stick left or right and the problem is resolved until I push up and down again. If it's really bad I usually just do the X,Y & Start button reset trick but it's still not perfect.

I haven't been able to take the controller apart yet (don't have the right screwdriver) so for all I know, the control stick could be damaged and in need of repair.

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
The joystick is soldered onto the controller. It can be exchanged but that's a pretty hefty project if you never soldered before. Cleaning it is possible but damn finicky. Also go get yourself a screwdriver, I bought mine for less than 5$, it's worth every penny.

I myself is looking for a controller.ini for Nintendont that will allow for me to use trigger trick (on a regular Wii, regular GC-controllers in ports).

PS: Apparently it isn't common knowledge? Trigger trick is when you hold L or R while resetting your controller to disable light shield.

EDIT: Solved it, literally just had to update the software >_>

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Hey, I have a CRT tv that I use with my GCN to play Melee currently. It has 2 inputs, 1 for audio and 1 for video. I put one of the Wii's audio and video cables into each, and the best result I got was audio with a black and white picture. Is there anything I can do to get color for my Wii on the TV?

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
This question leaves a lot to the imagination. My guess is you live in Europe trying to play the 20XX hack? Something else? B&W pictures is usually due to your TV not being able to handle the region.

Last edited:

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
Where is your Wii from? Are you playing from an actual official disc or is it an ISO on a harddrive or something else? What region is the disc/ISO from? What region is your TV from? How old is it? Are there any other instances where you get black and white? Do you get colour on other TV's with your Wii? Are you using composite cables for the Wii or are you trying to use component cables or something silly like that?

Your question could be likened to me asking "What did I have for breakfast today?" because you provide nothing that could help us figure out the problem.

EDIT: Actually yea you did say "video cables" so you're probably trying to plug component video into a composite port. Get composite cables.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
All the stuff is NTSC. The CRT is from 2002. The problem is just with the cables, so I think I will have to get some composite cables. Thanks!

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Yup, component have two cables for video and one for audio while composite have two for audio and one for video. You won't be able to have sterio sound, but you can at least play in color.

AirFair

Marth tho
Yeah, my gamecube has composite and it's perfect for me, so I think I gotta go order some now :p
thank god they are only like 4 bucks lol

Kazon

Smash Cadet
So is there a visible difference between playing Melee on a Wii or on a Gamecube? Also, does lag differ when using a Component cable instead of the standard RGB cable?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
So is there a visible difference between playing Melee on a Wii or on a Gamecube?
If you set your Wii's aspect ratio to 4:3, no.
Also, does lag differ when using a Component cable instead of the standard RGB cable?
Not that I've noticed. I have composite cables my Wii and GC, my friend has a component cable for his Wii, and both are (as far as I can tell) lag free.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Oh, could you recommend any kind of capture cards?
I used to use a Dazzle capture card all the time, but I'm not sure how good the quality was supposed to be because at the time, I was trying to record it with a 2003 HP pavilion a450. The computer was also running XP SP2, so it wasn't fully compatible with the oldest driver they had, meaning I might have to re-try it soon. TL;DR: Not at the moment. Sorry I couldn't help more!

CT_Emerl

Smash Cadet
I used to use a Dazzle capture card all the time, but I'm not sure how good the quality was supposed to be because at the time, I was trying to record it with a 2003 HP pavilion a450. The computer was also running XP SP2, so it wasn't fully compatible with the oldest driver they had, meaning I might have to re-try it soon. TL;DR: Not at the moment. Sorry I couldn't help more!
Thanks ,might get one to record gameplay :D

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Stride

Smash Ace
I finally got a crt, a Sony Trinitron, but I'm having some issues with my ignorance in regards to maximizing my Melee experience on it. In short, the problem is I don't have color.

I'm using a NTSC Wii but live in the PAL region. I'm playing my games off of USB. PAL Melee plays with color but my other games (most notably 20XX) does not. I realize that this means the problem is the NTSC to PAL incompatibility but I'm wondering if there's a way to add color to my 20XX playtime without adding lag. I'm using an RCA to Scart converter to plug my cords in. (While I'm at it, my converter is in a funky shape and to have it plugged in the color cords kinda have to be bent at the color bit because the RCA slots are on the top of the converter and there isn't much space between that and the protruding butt of the TV. Is that a problem or going to create any? Should I get a new converter?)
Try changing your USB loader's settings; set the video mode to "force PAL60" (or "force PAL480p" if you have component cables and your TV accepts them). Changing the video output doesn't affect the lag. RCA->SCART converters are cheap and easy to find; if you think bending your cables is going to cause a problem then I'd suggest investing in a better one (someone you know might have one lying around somewhere too).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Stride

Smash Ace
PAL60 gave me a colored DM logo but then went whereas PAL50 works. Is there lag using forced PAL50?
No, but it looks bad and is disorienting after being used to 60Hz (no tournament will ever use PAL50 unless they have to because of something like an unusual TV, which would have to be very old in order to not support 60Hz; there is no benefit to it whatsoever).

I don't understand why PAL60 isn't working. I don't believe the region of the Wii affects anything (since you can change your video output mode freely and both regions use the same cables). Is your TV designed for a PAL region?

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Stride

Smash Ace
It's a Sony Trinitron but I live in a EU country so idk if that counts as designed for a PAL region or not. Could it perhaps be an incompatibility with 20XX or the fact my color cords + converter may not be plugged in properly because of the aforementioned lack of space?

Edit: Just tested with Mario Sunshine, same issue. There's a delayed color'd DM logo and then to a black screen that doesn't have audio or anything.

edit2: tested pal480p and that gave me the same black screen but with audio and normal gameplay as opposed to PAL60's freezing.

edit3: using USB loader gx btw
If it works normally with other games then I'd assume that it's not your cables or converter. Its very likely that if you got your TV in a PAL region then it will be a PAL region TV; if might be written somewhere on it though. PAL480p will never work because you're not using component cables (and if your TV doesn't accept them, which is common, then there's nothing you can do about it); RCA cables are incapable of carrying a progressive scan signal. You didn't mention that PAL60 froze before; when does it freeze?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Stride

Smash Ace
Does PAL Melee work if you set it to 60Hz mode (by holding the B button during startup and selecting it from the menu) without forcing any particular video mode beforehand? If the in-game 60Hz mode works then the forced 60Hz mode should work too. If your TV says "~220-240V 50Hz" on the back then it might not be compatible with a 60Hz output, but I think that's very unlikely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Spoopy

Smash Rookie
I purchased a white controller from Amazon when Smashboards was having the deal for $20 a while back, and I've been having some errors from time to time.

When I try and play Melee, sometimes I'm not able to get the inputs I make. For example, I press the A button to do a FAir, but it doesn't register the A button, causing me to do an empty jump. Or if I try with the C-Stick, sometimes it doesn't register that either. When I try to wave dash, it gives me empty jumps, or it ignores my jump button and causes me to spot dodge and get punished. Also, when I try and dash dance, my control stick ignores one of the directions and will only have me dash in one direction. Lastly, when I try to pivot grab, it doesn't give me the pivot (but that could just be me).

I have other controllers, but after using this one for so long, the others don't feel as loose as my white controller. Also, does changing the shell of a controller effect button inputs? I'm using the motherboard of my white controller with different front and back shells with the buttons and L/R triggers from the white controller, so I don't know if because it's not in it's original shell, the buttons and sticks don't work as well.

Worse case scenario, I just change motherboards with one of my other controllers and I'll report if it helped my issue or not.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Anyone know of some good grip for controllers or how I could make some myself (where your palms are)? I'm tired of hand sweat and a dirty controller.

Lime_O

All Aboard the Hype Train
NNID
Lime
So I picked up a free TV from my neighbors. Its a Sony SXRD, which is a back-lit projector style tv. Does anyone know if it is lagless? The image of Melee doesn't scale to the TV, so I believe its displaying exactly what is being input. Also, is there any way to test if there is input lag, other than 'does it feel laggy?'
Thanks in advance

NeoTurtle

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if the science has been done on Wii U + adapter with nintendont on a benq with instant mode or some other fast monitor? And whether or not it is comparable to a CRT?

buddy 8=D

Smash Rookie
Anyone tap grab and do a quick light shield by mistake? This happens like 50% of the time for me when I tap z, and happens about 20% of the time if I hold down the grab a little longer. This has happened with my old controller and my new 2014 Smash controller (which I bought to fix this).

It's probably the way I'm doing it, or is it a controller issue?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Anyone tap grab and do a quick light shield by mistake? This happens like 50% of the time for me when I tap z, and happens about 20% of the time if I hold down the grab a little longer. This has happened with my old controller and my new 2014 Smash controller (which I bought to fix this).

It's probably the way I'm doing it, or is it a controller issue?
It's not your controller. If you hit Z when performing another action such as landing or doing an attack you buffer a light shield. You have to wait longer before you press Z.

buddy 8=D

Smash Rookie
It's not your controller. If you hit Z when performing another action such as landing or doing an attack you buffer a light shield. You have to wait longer before you press Z.
Okay, I'll try it out. Thanks

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I have an incredibly loose Gamecube controller thumbstick. The controller itself still responds well after 10+ years of use, but I want to find a way to fix my loose thumbstick or find a way to tighten up that part in the motherboard. Help would be much appreciated.

Also, what is the cheapest first party gamecube controller around online that is either the white model or original models?

recme

Smash Cadet
NNID
recolorme
3DS FC
4871-4881-3739
im not so sure if this place is the right place to put this out, but im not so sure on how to play a melee ISO on a softmodded wii. im trying to install the dios mios .wad through MultiModManager, but the wads never install. should i get a different wad manager, or are there any easier ways of doing this??

Stride

Smash Ace
Is there any way to reliably remove stripped screws from the black plastic that covers the triggers inside the Gamecube controllers? I want to remove one of the trigger springs but the one of the screwheads is too badly stripped for a screwdriver to work (I've tried using a bigger screwdriver than normal; that didn't work). Every attempt I've made so far has just made it worse, so I don't want to experiment any more.

Does anyone know if there is like a professional cleaning service for gamecube controllers?
Not so far as I'm aware; perhaps a local game store? There might be some local smashers willing to do it for you (even if they don't explicitly offer it as a service to everyone).

What about your controller needs cleaning? Is it just dirt on the shell/buttons or does the actual circuit board need cleaning (because you can literally just use a wet cloth on the non-electronic parts).

im not so sure if this place is the right place to put this out, but im not so sure on how to play a melee ISO on a softmodded wii. im trying to install the dios mios .wad through MultiModManager, but the wads never install. should i get a different wad manager, or are there any easier ways of doing this??
What error message are you getting? Is your Wii definitely otherwise softmodded correctly? Did you put the WADs in the correct folder?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is there any way to reliably remove stripped screws from the black plastic that covers the triggers inside the Gamecube controllers? I want to remove one of the trigger springs but the screwhead is too badly stripped for a normal screwdriver to work (I've tried using a bigger screwdriver than normal; that didn't work). Every attempt I've made so far has just made it worse, so I don't want to experiment any more.
Buy a triwing screwdriver from amazon for like 3 bucks.

Stride

Smash Ace
Buy a triwing screwdriver from amazon for like 3 bucks.
You must have misread my post (I suppose saying "normal screwdriver" was misleading, but I did mention that the screwhead was stripped; I've edited it to be more clear).

I have a screwdriver that is otherwise perfect, but some of the screwheads on the controllers I want to modify are stripped so the screwdriver doesn't work on them (it works fine on the other, intact screws; 3 out of the 4 trigger covering screws on the can be unscrewed just fine). Since the screwhead is visibly stripped and because the screwdriver works fine on other screws, the problem is definitely not with the screwdriver.

I have tried using a bigger screwdriver to compensate, but that still doesn't work (and the screws seem to be relatively soft metal, which means they get worn quickly when I try this). I'm also concerned with putting excessive torque on the screw because of the risk of damaging other parts of the controller (though I have put a lot of torque on it before and all it does is make the problem worse more quickly).

Also, the triwing screwdriver is only for the shell; the screws inside the controller are Phillips-head. I have no problems with the external screws/opening the shell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom