• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Chaosphere

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Just getting into smash. I'm a stickler on technical details and I want to make sure I have a setup that I practice on that will be exactly the same or as close to the same as a tournament setup.

I've been reading a lot of this thread but there doesn't seem to be any consistent consensus on what the "optimal" setup is. I come from other fighting game communities and the standard is the evo asus monitor, don't remember the model by heart, but there's a specific model chosen to be the best.

Is there a specific TV that is best for the tourney standard? Or is it pretty much ANY CRT tv? I currently have my lagless LED asus monitor (under .7 ms) and would love nothing more than to use it for practice as it would be convenient. But looking into video adapters (which I could use component to DVI/VGA/HDMI adapters) is leaving me a bit confused. I know I probably don't want to try a component to DVI or HDMI adapater as I want to avoid converting analog to digital. But VGA is analog. Would component to VGA keep me in the clear from adding any lag to my setup? I would really like to play in as high of a resolution as possible without sacrificing speed. If I should abandon using my monitor altogether, then it would be great to hear a good reason why.

Any help on this would be much appreciated! Thanks ahead of time.

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Chaosphere Chaosphere : there are VGA cables for Gamecube and Wii. The GC ones work with LCD monitors just fine, the Wii ones do not. I personally use both of them with CRT monitors, which I prefer over LCDs. The one I like best is a Sony GDM-F520 I got for 15€.

Chaosphere

Smash Rookie
@ Chaosphere Chaosphere : there are VGA cables for Gamecube and Wii. The GC ones work with LCD monitors just fine, the Wii ones do not. I personally use both of them with CRT monitors, which I prefer over LCDs. The one I like best is a Sony GDM-F520 I got for 15€.
Thanks for the response. I ended up getting a free CRT TV with component inputs so I'm going to be looking at getting a wii+component cable and either a legit copy of melee or softmod the wii and get a burnt copy. This setup should be the highest quality I can get without having to add any extra adapters or anything else that could possibly get in the way.

Last question: Do I need a gamecube memory card to save gamecube data? My room mate softmodded his wii and uses a burnt copy of the game and he has to use a gc memory card. If I get a legit copy of the melee, can it use storage on the wii?

I'm looking at screwdrivers to take apart my GCN controller and I am scared to pick one because of weird reviews on every single screwdriver. Any suggestions?
Just want to say, in addition to a tri-wing (which I've never needed to use actually) you can just use a slightly smaller flathead and turn carefully, and it'll perform the same effect.

There's also a method to open a GC by implementing a burned BIC pen but... I've found it to be a hassle, even though it has worked for me a few times.
Is there a specific TV that is best for the tourney standard? Or is it pretty much ANY CRT tv?
There's no 'consensus' because we all just play on CRTs, because the GC/Wii output a standard definition signal which anything other than a CRT has to process differently, and that processing takes time. So unless you want to try a converter + low latency monitor (which is somewhat expensive) (there's a thread.... they got it to work, here's the discussion), just any CRT will work. There are some more nuances beyond that, but otherwise, yeah, what Kadano said.

Last edited:

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
So, can you guys offer me some help? I'm a bit technically uninitiated. I have a 40 inch sceptre lcd. I don't know really much about it. I'm playing with standard red white yellow cables. It looks a bit blurry, and there is probably lag that I have just grown accustomed to.

What is the best way to get little to no lag, and the best pic? Any settings I should alter? Use my wii? Component cables? I really have no idea.

Not necessarily opposed to getting a CRT, but would much rather shell out a few bucks to avoid it.

Also I have a 70 inch vizio. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Mensrea Mensrea

In my opinion, the best setup with no lag and excellent picture is a CRT PC monitor (20"+)(0-20€) connected to a Gamecube with VGA cables (90€).

If you don’t want a CRT, I’d say the ASUS VG248QE (300€) with Wii YPbPr cables (5€) and the elgato Game Capture HD (150€) + HDMI cables. If you want to ditch the recording / streaming option, you can also go for a cheaper simple ADC (YPbPr → HDMI; approx. 30€) instead of the elgato.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
PAL user here. Any tips on optimal set-up? I have an older GC model with a digital output for component cables, but, that's pretty much out of the question since they are so expensive and rare and I'd need a TV with component support(I do have a Wii with component cables and an HDTV though, but I'd really prefer a proper CRT).
My old CRT is singing its last verse by now, so I'm on the lookout for a new one. Is it worth going for 60hz? I'm pretty sure PAL SSBM operates at 60hz, even if most TVs in my region only output the image at 50hz(I'm basing this off the option to pick 60hz or 50hz at start-up). Or, maybe I'm completely lost on the technicalities here.
My other question is what my options are when it comes to cables. Is the standard composite the best solution here? Does PAL GC even support S-video or anything higher via modding? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
@ NotaSkeleton NotaSkeleton if you have a softmodded Wii to force 480p and want to go cheap, buy this: http://www.ebay.at/itm/AV-HDTV-TV-P...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a2c2eda71

Additionally a CRT PC monitor and that’s it.

And yes, you definitely want 60hz, haha. 50hz is eye cancer.

PAL GCs and Wiis support RGB-SCART, which is way better than S-Video. It’s only 480i, though; not crisp 480p you get with the aforementioned combination (that will likely cost you less than 20€).

Edit: Which country are you from, by the way?

Last edited:

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I do have a softmodded Wii with the ability to force 480p, but, that's only really viable on the HDTV and due to the lag, a CRT is the better choice. What kind of CRT PC monitors would you recommend, if any, and what cables would I need to set it up?

Kadano

Magical Express
I do have a softmodded Wii with the ability to force 480p, but, that's only really viable on the HDTV and due to the lag, a CRT is the better choice. What kind of CRT PC monitors would you recommend, if any, and what cables would I need to set it up?
You only need the cables I just linked.
Any CRT PC that has a VGA input will do (and all of them I’ve ever seen have one). Because they are so abundant, you can probably either get a decent 19" one for free from local listings or a top tier one for 20€. Some top tier models I know are the Sony GDM-F520, Mitsubishi 2070SB / LaCie Blue IV, which are all 20"-21". But again, any of them will do if they are in good condition.
I recommend first ordering the cable and then bringing your Wii with it to the seller. That way you can check whether the monitor works properly.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
Ah, right. Thank you for the good advice! I think I'll order an RGB for the GC and get that multi-cable for the Wii later on. It depends if I can find some decent PC monitor or not. I do wonder if the 5:4 aspect ratio of most CRT PC monitors will affect the game's visuals in any way though. It probably doesn't matter at all.

Kadano

Magical Express
Ah, right. Thank you for the good advice! I think I'll order an RGB for the GC and get that multi-cable for the Wii later on. It depends if I can find some decent PC monitor or not. I do wonder if the 5:4 aspect ratio of most CRT PC monitors will affect the game's visuals in any way though. It probably doesn't matter at all.
Almost all CRT PC monitors are 4:3, just like Melee. Even if they were 5:4, it wouldn’t really matter, yes.

FunkPuissante

Smash Rookie
PAL user here. I have a softmodded wii ans a plasma tv. Since i don't have enough room space to get another tv (ctr) to play Smash i wanted to know what's the best option for me to put my Wii on a lcd pc monitor.

And does a traditionnal RCA VGA work well with melee ?
like this

Kadano

Magical Express
PAL user here. I have a softmodded wii ans a plasma tv. Since i don't have enough room space to get another tv (ctr) to play Smash i wanted to know what's the best option for me to put my Wii on a lcd pc monitor.

And does a traditionnal RCA VGA work well with melee ?
like this
No, that would either lag a lot or not work at all. You need to buy this and set your Wii to 480p:
http://www.amazon.de/VGA-Kabel-für-PS3-Wii/dp/B0015MISAG
Also available on Ebay from China for somewhat cheaper: http://www.ebay.at/itm/Component-HD...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4d19fb644a

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
So I'll post this question in a few threads, hopefully one of them is the appropriate one and/or will yield a response.

So everyone says the L/R triggers on the white gamecube controllers are awful, and after trying out one of my other older controllers, I think I get it. The springs are harder to push down, and it makes it a lot harder to wavedash (or hardpress in general) by reaction; generally it messes up my timing.
So my question is, will taking the springs out of the controller do anything to fix this? If I do, should I replace them, perhaps with springs from one of my decade old controllers? Or does the problem lye elsewhere? I imagine someone has gotten bothered enough by the triggers so as to try to alter them.
I know this is late as **** but I think part of the problem is that the old GC controllers had a little pin thing to hold the button/everything together, whereas the new ones lack that pin so it's easy to keep scraping the sides of the GC controller. I personally thought the pressure was fine but I can see why people would complain

CeLL

Smash Lord
How does one go about removing the rumble pack from a controller? I have a triwing screwdriver and some electronics experience (aka I know how to solder circuit boards).

Kadano

Magical Express
How does one go about removing the rumble pack from a controller? I have a triwing screwdriver and some electronics experience (aka I know how to solder circuit boards).
Just take the back plate off and rip the rumble plate out.

Mao the Bold

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I have a quick question but I am not sure where to post it.

I am going to college soon and I will be flying. I want to take along my 9 inch CRT and GameCube, but I'm not quite sure how best to bring them. I am flying JetBlue.

The GC isn't tough, but should I pack it in a carry on or is it safe to check it?

The TV is harder. It is fairly bulky even at a 9 inch screen, and it is at least 18 inches tall and 12 wide, and probably 18 deep. What does everyone tend to do? Should I carry it on? Or pad it up in a big suitcase?

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Hi everyone, I have a quick question but I am not sure where to post it.

I am going to college soon and I will be flying. I want to take along my 9 inch CRT and GameCube, but I'm not quite sure how best to bring them. I am flying JetBlue.

The GC isn't tough, but should I pack it in a carry on or is it safe to check it?

The TV is harder. It is fairly bulky even at a 9 inch screen, and it is at least 18 inches tall and 12 wide, and probably 18 deep. What does everyone tend to do? Should I carry it on? Or pad it up in a big suitcase?

Thanks for the help!!
bring the cube (safe to check in or carryon, whichever is more convenient for you), get a CRT TV once you're there off craigslist. Not worth wasting the space bringing a CRT if you're flying.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
My Wii has been making a sort of clicking sound when it spins a disc. It's very faint, you pretty much have to be listening for it. It's not worrying me because my discs are still mirror-clean, but it's starting to get a little annoying. Is there a simple way to fix this? (I have a triwing screwdriver)

Kadano

Magical Express
Is there any lag if I use a composite cable plugged into a scart adapter?
If your TV lags, there will be lag. The CVBS→SCART adapter won’t add any lag, though.

My Wii has been making a sort of clicking sound when it spins a disc. It's very faint, you pretty much have to be listening for it. It's not worrying me because my discs are still mirror-clean, but it's starting to get a little annoying. Is there a simple way to fix this? (I have a triwing screwdriver)
I don’t know how to repair optical drives, but you can always softmod your Wii so that you are able to play games from an SD card and don’t need the optical drive anymore.

AirFair

Marth tho
Just a general CRT question.
For the optimal melee experience with minimal lag, any CRT would work right?
I recently purchased an Orion CRT from Goodwill recently, and was just wondering.

Kadano

Magical Express
If it doesn’t have digital processing (in most fancy looking TVs from about 1990 on), it should be fine.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Umm... I think it might be from 2003. It was probably the only good one I could find. Would that still be Ok or? sorry for the trouble.

AirFair

Marth tho
Hey @ Kadano Kadano I wanted to get back to you on the CRT if you were up to it.
Its an Orion CRT Model 1934 from August 2002. If you need anything else I will see if I can get that later.
Thanks.

Kadano

Magical Express
That seems so cheaply made that it most likely doesn’t have digital processing, so it should not lag.

Last edited:

sherigami

Smash Journeyman
So, after a few hours of playing, my R button has a habit of light shielding and just sticking. Sometimes I will even airdodge without pressing R. Would it fix the problem if I just took out the spring of my L button and put it in R? I never use L anyways and the spring is like new. Would this fix the problem or should I do the advice that has already been given in this thread for fixing the lightshield issue?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm not sure if this is leading up to the same problem, but around 3 years after I got my Wii (2010-ish), it began sounding like a lawn mower. The sound kept on getting worse until the optical drive finally broke, then I got Nintendo to replace the optical drive. This happened to two of my other friend's Wiis (although they didn't have the sound), but another friend who got a newer Wii hasn't ever had problems with it, so I think they fixed it in later versions.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be replacing a CRT of mine soon and figured I might as well get a really good one since mine looks like garbage. Any recommendations? I know Trinitrons are popular. What did the Smash Vault guys end up getting?

Kadano

Magical Express

AirFair

Marth tho
At the moment I am using a gamecube with my CRT to play melee, and I wanted to use my Wii, which has the 20XX pack and Project M on it. What extra cables and things do I need before I can connect the wii to the tv?

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
The standard composite cables (i.e. yellow white red plugs) work just fine if using the same CRT.

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
My purple controller's analog stick is eating inputs. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I have plenty of replacement parts if needed (from a whole old black controller and a next to new white). The issue specifically is that it often does not register smash inputs to the left (walking is a fine, doing a dash is not however) or there is a noticeable delay that varies

What should I be looking for if I open it up?

Last edited:

townes

Smash Apprentice
My best controller that I've used to play for months now and at tournaments is having a problem. Every once in a while when I play, when I go to the character select screen, the P1 hand will wander up on its own. I can fix it by just wiggling it around and trying again until it works, but its alarming. Can I fix this? I have a new white controller, but I hate using it because the triggers will be stiff if pressed a certain way and the analog stick sometimes has me pivot like 6x instead of dash dancing with marth. Is it worth it to play with my white one which I don't like since it will likely last forever, or can I fix my best controller?

Top Bottom