• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Tiburon

Smash Rookie
I used to speedcube (Rubik's Cube solving) and you really don't want to use WD40 for plastics. The oils tend to eat the plastic over time. Use a silicone-based lubricant like DRGN recommends. It will form a waxy coating that lubricates without leaving residue. Personally I used CRC Electrical Grade for cubes.

If you were to do this with a controller I would recommend taking it apart, spraying the surfaces (put the pieces on a paper towel or smt), let it dry, reassemble, then break it in. It will be a little tough for a while but it should work nicely. I wouldn't spray it from the outside without taking it apart, it's fine for cubes but idk about circuitry etc. Then again it is "electrical grade".
It might be that all your controller needs is a good cleaning and you don't need lube at all.

Last edited:

Comprehend13

Smash Cadet
Has anyone had issues with the control stick being "sticky" for the official Nintendo white gamecube controllers? I bought one through smashboards last week and it has started developing this problem.

RedWyze

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this has been addressed yet or not, but my Wii won't read GC games anymore (not 100% why) so I am attempting to use an ISO and backup loader. The issue is, it doesn't seem to matter what I do the game is entirely unstable. Sometimes it will run for a few hours without a hitch and other times I can't even play 5 minutes. I've followed probably a dozen different guides and tried numerous different things (including driving all over Eugene to find a GameCube), but I'm having zero luck.

I'm trying to load off a USB, but am willing to tweak whatever I need to, to make it work. If I need to provide more info for troubleshooting, I'm happy too, just not 100% sure what people need to know to help.

Thanks for any and all help,
Wyze

DRGN

Technowizard
Are you using Dios Mios? Maybe you could try loading off of an SD card instead of USB (via Dios Mios Lite).

DRGN

Technowizard
How have you been using dios mios so far? And what version was it? As you probably saw, the latest is 2.10

If you're loading from USB, you need Dios Mios. But if you're loading from SD card, you need to use Dios Mios Lite. These aren't apps, and are installed by using a wad manager, such as Wii Mod (which is my favorite so far). I also recommend updating all the software that you're using. I think latest of the HomeBrew Channel is 1.1.2. If you're using WiiFlow, the latest stable version of that is 4.2.1

Another good game booter that I'm using is Dios Mios Booter (latest is r30). It's text based, so it doesn't have a fancy interface like WiiFlow, but the application starts up a lot faster.

Also, how did you format your drive?

RedWyze

Smash Rookie
I have tried to use multiple diosmios booters as well as wiiflow. I think my issue is stemming from the wad installations. Maybe something to do with the iso installs, not really sure what it is any of that stuff actually does.

My USB was FAT32 with 32kb clusters, and so is my SD card. I have recently tried to move everything to SD, used diosmios lite and wiiflow, but the game won't boot at all.

Like I said, I have an odd feeling it has something to do with the cios installations for iso56/57, or how/where I'm installing the wads? Just gut guesses though.

Delayed response due to exams.

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
Are the white controllers that you can buy on the Smashboards online store the best of the best or is there a better controller out there?

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
Has anyone had issues with the control stick being "sticky" for the official Nintendo white gamecube controllers? I bought one through smashboards last week and it has started developing this problem.
I had this issue with the L/R buttons at first, take the back of the controller off and spray the sides of the buttons with some electronics cleaner. They'll slide just fine after that.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Hi guys, i've been testing recently to attempt to get melee on a monitor with no lag and having some problems

I'm in PAL region and i bought a wii->component cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unknowm-690...519&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+component+video+cable

And then i bought this converter to HDMI
http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic®-Com...=1399894725&sr=8-5&keywords=component+to+hdmi

Then i tried plugging into this monitor
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/tft-monitor/samsung-syncmaster-s23b350b/

However the end result i got just the standard "reccomended resolution" message...

Any help here?

Kadano

Magical Express
Hi guys, i've been testing recently to attempt to get melee on a monitor with no lag and having some problems

I'm in PAL region and i bought a wii->component cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unknowm-6900214001630-WII-COMPONENT-CABLE/dp/B000NUR582/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399895519&sr=8-1&keywords=wii component video cable

And then i bought this converter to HDMI
http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic®-Component-Video-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00AZHNUIW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1399894725&sr=8-5&keywords=component to hdmi

Then i tried plugging into this monitor
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/tft-monitor/samsung-syncmaster-s23b350b/

However the end result i got just the standard "reccomended resolution" message...

Any help here?
PAL Melee has no progressive scan query, so it will always default to 480i60 (PAL60) / 576i50 (PAL) unless you force it into progressive with Swiss or other tools.

I personally use a modded Gamecube (Qoob Pro) that is set to force progressive scan, Gamecube component / VGA cables and a reference CRT monitor (Sony PVM20M7MDE) that’s capable of progressive scan. Your YPbPr (component)→HDMI definitely introduces some lag as it does analog-to-digital conversion, but it might be little enough so that it doesn’t affect you.

Last edited:

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Well right now i just get a blank screen with the "reccomended resolution" message so i don't see any picture at all

is there any way i can do it with a PAL wii? or this is an ntsc solution only?

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Well right now i just get a blank screen with the "reccomended resolution" message so i don't see any picture at all

is there any way i can do it with a PAL wii? or this is an ntsc solution only?
As my location indicates, I live in a PAL region as well. Yes, you can do it with your PAL Wii. I don’t own a Wii, so I don’t know the specifics, but you can read on how to set up homebrew, Swiss and the likes on your own.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
So basically if i don't force it into progressive scan somehow my converter wont give any output which is why i'm not seeing anything?

Never really played with homebrew or anything before but i guess i better start if i want to make this work right

Kadano

Magical Express
So basically if i don't force it into progressive scan somehow my converter wont give any output which is why i'm not seeing anything?

Never really played with homebrew or anything before but i guess i better start if i want to make this work right
Well, it does say on the product description that it works with 480i as well. I don’t know whether this converter does any deinterlacing or upscaling, so whatever resolution it outputs (if it does so, might be defect as well) is not necessarily compatible with your monitor.
If you manage to force 480p60 and you still don’t get an image, either the converter doesn’t work or your monitor supports neither 480i nor 480p. Still, forcing 480p is the cheapest option you have to find out, and if it works, you also get considerably better picture quality and less lag.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Hmm maybe my monitor doesn't accept 480i/480p... Is that a likely scenario? Been trying things but no luck maybe i need to try on another monitor but not really willing to drop another 130 quid to get a nice monitor just to find out...

Kadano

Magical Express
Hmm maybe my monitor doesn't accept 480i/480p... Is that a likely scenario? Been trying things but no luck maybe i need to try on another monitor but not really willing to drop another 130 quid to get a nice monitor just to find out...
What’s stopping you from getting a CRT TV for free?

I personally would recommend anyone who wants HQ Melee without lag to buy a Sony PVM20L5, PVM14L5 or PVM20M7MDE. Some BVMs should display 480p60 as well, but I don’t know which ones. But it’s unlikely you can get one of them for less than 130 pounds. CRT TVs don’t have progressive scan, but if you get one with a Trinitron (or knockoff) tube and use RGB-SCART cables, at least the colors are on the same level.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Im just testing stuff to see whether it's possible to get melee on my computer monitors. I already have two CRT's which i use for regular play :p

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
Is there a difference from playing Melee on a GameCube versus the Wii? I find that I cannot dash dance as well as I can in Project M. Or is that just because the games are different?

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Is there a difference from playing Melee on a GameCube versus the Wii? I find that I cannot dash dance as well as I can in Project M. Or is that just because the games are different?
PM is a different game. A lot of the technical execution is more lenient in P:M

Snorlaxes

Smash Cadet
Can anyone shed any light on the prices of the new white controllers? I remember a few months back, they were on Amazon for ~$30 and now they're $57. I can't think of any reason for such a massive fluctuation outside of Nintendo completely halting production.

Kadano

Magical Express
Can anyone shed any light on the prices of the new white controllers? I remember a few months back, they were on Amazon for ~$30 and now they're $57. I can't think of any reason for such a massive fluctuation outside of Nintendo completely halting production.
Amazon’s stock probably ran out, and other sellers cannot or don’t want to sell for that cheap. Here are some other buying options:

Solaris Japan: 39.78$ (incl. shipping from Japan; not including taxes you might have to pay)
Play-Asia: 51.90$ (incl. shipping from Japan; not including taxes you might have to pay)

Last edited:

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to remove the "click" that the shoulders do when they are fully pressed?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere that answers this but...
Would using a converter from composite to coaxial typically cause any lag? I have 2 TVs that don't have composite input, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy a cheap converter of some sort.

Kadano

Magical Express
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere that answers this but...
Would using a converter from composite to coaxial typically cause any lag? I have 2 TVs that don't have composite input, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy a cheap converter of some sort.
As that is an analog to analog conversion, I’m pretty confident that it won’t lag.
Considering how converters cost money while CRT TVs with (at least) composite in are available for free, I would just get rid of the coaxial-only TVs and get some with composite or S-Video instead.
Coaxial picture quality is considerably worse than composite, and even that is pretty bad.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
As that is an analog to analog conversion, I’m pretty confident that it won’t lag.
Considering how converters cost money while CRT TVs with (at least) composite in are available for free, I would just get rid of the coaxial-only TVs and get some with composite or S-Video instead.
Coaxial picture quality is considerably worse than composite, and even that is pretty bad.
Wow, fast reply. Thanks for the info, I'll probably just replace 'em like you said, but hang onto them for now. I have alternatives right now anyway 8)

Wow, fast reply. Thanks for the info, I'll probably just replace 'em like you said, but hang onto them for now. I have alternatives right now anyway 8)
What Kadano said is true (there won't be any lag), but I think keeping working CRTs is less hassle than finding new ones..
pros: your existing tvs work, rca-coaxial converters are super cheap at thrift/used electronic stores
cons: composite looks slightly better, but this means dealing with a new crt (that also may have its own problems)
if your existing crts are crappy for any reason, though, then there's a good reason to replace them. gl

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but my GameCube has a lot of trouble reading my Melee disc. My Melee disc was very badly scratched before (I was a dumb kid who never put his games back in the cases, I really regret doing that) but I got the disc resurface at a C&C not too long ago, and it runs better, but so still often have disc read errors. Now, for the most part the outer ring of the disc seems fine, minus a small scratch ring, but the inner, silver colored ring is still badly scratched. Once I can get the game to play it runs with no problems. I've never had it stop during gameplay, but it frequently gives errors in between screens (like clicking training mode to go to the character select screen it will stop reading, or after selecting a stage). My GameCube reads every other game with no problem, and I've played just about every other game I own and no problem, so I really think it's just a problem with my Melee disc.
Would anybody happen to know if there is a way I can fix my disc without getting a professional resurface (since I moved now, I don't think there are any around where I live) or buying a new copy (which I might do if I can't fix my current disc).
The worst part is that I can't play Project M because my Wii doesn't read my Brawl disc anymore.

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
So what about "Game Mode" on Samsung TVs?
I obviously don't expect it to be as responsive as a CRT but it's a pretty peculiar feature

PancakeLover

Smash Rookie
Hi, I hope that belongs in here...
I'm playing on my PC using Dolphin emulator. I made an iso from my original MELEE disc, I bought over 10 years ago (yes, at the release day :DD). My problem now is that I have the Revision 0 version but need Revision 2 (v1.02), to play online. Since Iam not going to download a rom illegally, I wanted to ask if there is any way to patch my version? I tried the patcher for WinXP I found here on the forums, but it is unforunately only working for NTSC versions. I have a PAL version of the game. Still any possibilities for me?

Last edited:

TheHammer

Smash Rookie
So I am aware that even some CRT's will produce lag. I was wondering if anyone knows if a 27" flat screen Toshiba CRT's will lag or not. I really need one without lag because Ive been getting used to the lag on my HDTV and Ive been getting rekt at tournaments because of this. Thanks

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I'm looking at screwdrivers to take apart my GCN controller and I am scared to pick one because of weird reviews on every single screwdriver. Any suggestions?

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
I'm looking at screwdrivers to take apart my GCN controller and I am scared to pick one because of weird reviews on every single screwdriver. Any suggestions?
Any triwing screwdriver should work. Don't worry about the reviews, on the slim chance it is useless, you'll probably only be out about $5 at the most.

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
So I'll post this question in a few threads, hopefully one of them is the appropriate one and/or will yield a response.

So everyone says the L/R triggers on the white gamecube controllers are awful, and after trying out one of my other older controllers, I think I get it. The springs are harder to push down, and it makes it a lot harder to wavedash (or hardpress in general) by reaction; generally it messes up my timing.
So my question is, will taking the springs out of the controller do anything to fix this? If I do, should I replace them, perhaps with springs from one of my decade old controllers? Or does the problem lye elsewhere? I imagine someone has gotten bothered enough by the triggers so as to try to alter them.

Dott

Smash Ace
Does the game lags on Led's as much as Plasma's? It's a Hyundai TV by the way, it doesn't feel too laggy after all. But i want to know.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If your TV is not a CRT or you paid superspecial attention when picking it up, it'll most likely lag. Maybe plasma TVs are especially bad, so the other one doesn't feel that bad to you. It'll probably still feel bad to people sensitive to slight delays between their input and the tv output

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
So my question is, will taking the springs out of the controller do anything to fix this? If I do, should I replace them, perhaps with springs from one of my decade old controllers? Or does the problem lye elsewhere? I imagine someone has gotten bothered enough by the triggers so as to try to alter them.
If you take the springs out I believe you can't light shield? At least that's what I've been told. I would assume replacing the springs would help. But I honestly never noticed a difference. I just checked it out now and you're right the white controller shoulder buttons are harder to press down but I don't see how that can mess up anyone's reaction time. It certainly doesn't mess mine up.

Top Bottom