• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Austin, expect me to be 5x better next time you play me. I've been playing my old friend a lot again and he's **** now soooooo ima be mad good.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
tbh my YL kinda sucks now, I have 0 people to play against in a competitive setting and I need people to play constantly to have a chance with him. Also, dittos are... really fun. kinda random sometimes but, fun.

Eric, stop yo yappin' and just show me what's up next time bro <3

^Brawl for party, Melee for competition.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Or, you would might have a valid opinion if you played Melee.

Wish I could attend something if they all weren't hours away. I almost got excited when I heard something would be 45 minutes' worth of driving... only to learn it was the furthest of anything.

Purple

Hi guys!
you might would have a valid opinion if you played Melee
Are you talking to me?

If you are, then what I'm saying is that some people just don't like how melee plays, therefore someone who is clearly a melee fan, telling someone who is a brawl fan "man you just don't know what you're missing with melee" is stupid, both people enjoy different games, no need to try to change people, plain and simple.

Also Snap, you can't just ignore a part of Melee just because it doesn't prove your point. Fact is, that **** happens in Melee.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
LOL im not ignoring it, brawl plays use that video and shout "SEE MELEE IS JUST AS GAY AS BRAWL AND TIME OUTS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME BLAH BLAH BLAH"

When honestly most people who play brawl are idiots about stuff like that.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
no Roxy I wasn't talking to you.

Does anyone remember what that jerk Sakurai said about the game? Like, he doesn't like competition? and how when he watches a sporting event, he wants to cheer for both sides? No smash game was ever intended to be competitive like we made it, but all three games STILL have a scene regardless, which is a testament to how incredible the game could be if someone actually TRIED to make a competitive one. That's why I spent a lot of my time working on plans to make my own game, with my own chars.

Anyway the point was, Sakurai's view is just ridiculous. He wanted a party game out of all of them. Something fun. This is why people (including me before I actually played the game) thought it was stupid. I mean percents? lives? seriously? But it's actually genius. The sad thing is how Sakurai can come up with something so brilliant and then want to hurt it. He wanted to take out as many advanced techs/glitches bobobobo whatever when I think wavedashing is simply a thing of absolute beauty when done correctly (see tech skill vids for examples)

I dunno.
I just want to make my game really badly. Ya'll ain't ready for dat Gruho acid combo.

Purple

Hi guys!
I wouldn't call Sakurai a jerk, considering he pretty much gave us the ground base of making a new game.

I wouldn't even say Brawl sucks, as much as I would say "Brawl isn't how I like my fighting games, however it has great potential"

etc. etc. political correctness

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Fact is, that **** happens in Melee.
No, it really doesnt. The fox just didn't know what to do. Watch the following games, and it shows that he learned how to not suck. Tero and Pinkshinobi are probably the only two players that play like that. Since offence is actually rewarding in melee, games are hardly like that if both players know the matchup.
Unless you are trying to point out that in any game, if everyone camps, it is as boring as hell (including fps, rts, mmo pvp, and of course fighting). It is very true.

And Sakurai made Brawl with the intention of it being a poor competitive game and great party game, he made melee just to be a great party game. He didnt try to take out competitive elements when he made melee. The way he made brawl was quite jerkish. I still play both competitively though.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
rofl I just had the weirdest image in my head of people camping in FPS

one dude stuck in a corner somewhere
other dude stuck in a corner in the opposite side of map
lol
guess that's why all FPS games are played like 4v4 and stuff

Spank That Dill

Smash Journeyman
rofl I just had the weirdest image in my head of people camping in FPS

one dude stuck in a corner somewhere
other dude stuck in a corner in the opposite side of map
lol
guess that's why all FPS games are played like 4v4 and stuff
this is exactly how you play on MW2

IT'S FUN MAN IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN HALO

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
No, it really doesnt. The fox just didn't know what to do. Watch the following games, and it shows that he learned how to not suck. Tero and Pinkshinobi are probably the only two players that play like that. Since offence is actually rewarding in melee, games are hardly like that if both players know the matchup.
Unless you are trying to point out that in any game, if everyone camps, it is as boring as hell (including fps, rts, mmo pvp, and of course fighting). It is very true.

And Sakurai made Brawl with the intention of it being a poor competitive game and great party game, he made melee just to be a great party game. He didnt try to take out competitive elements when he made melee. The way he made brawl was quite jerkish. I still play both competitively though.
my point exactly.

Purple

Hi guys!

amsah vs jman

all of the games aren't meant to be competitive.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Yeah, but it was all that time between Melee and Brawl's releases, when they saw all the glitches and abuse in Melee, and said "uh... **** that" and "fixed" everything. They didn't realize what a mistake they had made with the rushed game that is Melee.

Purple

Hi guys!
Yeah, but it was all that time between Melee and Brawl's releases, when they saw all the glitches and abuse in Melee, and said "uh... **** that" and "fixed" everything. They didn't realize what a mistake they had made with the rushed game that is Melee.

I'm sorry, but i personally understand what you're saying about brawl or melee in this statement.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ As do I.

Personally, I WISH Brawl had a few more optional exploits/glitches in it. The experience would've lasted a bit longer, if you ask me. New Melee stuff is being found every so often, and I enjoy using some of the glitches that are found when just fooling around (Black Hole Glitch, Master Hand glitch).

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Roxy, did you leave out the word "don't" cause...

It's pretty simple >_>
Melee came out. As did Youtube and internet access spread blurblurblur and so it was easy to see how gamers were playing Melee. When Sakurai saw it, he probably took the Melee staff out back and fired a rifle on them one by one (I'm joking)

But see, once he was aware of what we did, he knew what to change for Brawl. No WD, no L Cancel, etc. Of course none of the games were meant to be competitive, but Melee ended up being so, and when Sakurai saw what we did, he started taking steps to change it and turn it into whatever he referred to it as. Something where everyone can be a winner, or some nonsense like that.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
all of the games aren't meant to be competitive.
I know, I already stated what they were meant to be. Melee was meant to be a party game; brawl was meant to be a party game and meant to have no/few competitive elements.

Neither was meant to be competitive, but only brawl was meant to be uncompetitive.

amsah vs jman
A great example of how offence beats defence (in melee) and of how mistakes on either side cause that side to lose.

Purple

Hi guys!
I know, I already stated what they were meant to be. Melee was meant to be a party game; brawl was meant to be a party game and meant to have no/few competitive elements.

Neither was meant to be competitive, but only brawl was meant to be uncompetitive.

A great example of how offence beats defence (in melee) and of how mistakes on either side cause that side to lose.
Actually, Amsah won by camping.

And no, all of the games were not meant to be competitive at all. Period. Melee was made competitive by the smash community because of what was left in the game. If we never got a hold of it, the game would still not be competitive (in my opinion). Sakurai took these techniques out in hopes to make the game no longer competitive to tourney players. You could say that makes the game less competitive, but that's not how it works.

Marvel Vs Capcom has more character viability and you can die much faster in MvC1 than in Marvel Vs Capcom 2; by your logic, Marvel Vs Capcom is more competitive. That's not really the case, you see what I'm saying?

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Can't really compare games that were meant to be competitive from the start (any fighter) with something as "silly" as Smash though.

If MVC3 comes out and there is no assist, no infinite, and for ****'s sake let's just say no combos (lol) then hell yeah people would rage about it. Would people play? probably.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I like how roxy brung up Amsah vs Jman. Roxy show me 5 matches of camping/planking in Melee. Oh yeah, there's only 4 matches in the entire 9 years that Melee has been out.

Tero vs some Fox

Amsah vs Jman

Pink Shinobi vs RockCrock

and Tag$ vs Chibo

theres a **** ton for brawl tho.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol thats not really the point. those 4 videos show just how powerful planking in melee is. just because nobody does it doesn't mean it's not just as broken in that game as it is in brawl. it just means that the melee scene doesnt care as much about winning

Steelia

Smash Champion
it just means that the melee scene doesnt care as much about winning
Which is a good thing, I'd assume. Games shouldn't necessarily be about winning (though the majority of mindsets today set it as such, in just about ANY gaming title)... They should be fun, meet some friends, yadda yadda yadda, that bit... Y'know.

Top Bottom